News:

New members, please say hello to the forum in the Introductions board!

Main Menu

Misspelled words i see a lot on this forum.

Started by Vynn, October 22, 2008, 11:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vynn

theirs for "there's"
their for "they're"
perogative for prerogative

Of course i make similar mistakes, but that's beside the point.  ||cool||
Signature deleted by mods

Lillium

There, their, they're. >.> Not cool man.  Learn proper usage of homonyms!

XD

Meow?

Vynn

Quote from: GamerGirl on October 23, 2008, 12:01:32 AM
There, their, they're. >.> Not cool man.  Learn proper usage of homonyms!

XD

The boys just bought some snow cones and ice cream cones. They're eating their treats over there in the shade.

Lillium

Meow?

Fit2BThaied

Not to get personal, but "1st and infidel, then.." looks wrong. 

My pet peeve is it's with an apostrophe, for the possessive pronoun.  No, it's just its.  Like yours, theirs, his and hers, its has no apostrophe.  It is is abbreviated as it's, so the apostrophe stands for the omitted letter.

But I have been an English teacher, so I notice these things.  Also, in 11th grade, our English teacher gave us a zero grade for any essay that misspelled its, it's, their, there, they're.  And too, to, and two, too.  Besides, if you use Firefox Godzilla, the spellchecker works as soon as you finish each word.  However, it does not recognize homonyms as errors.

Speaking of homonyms, that caused my only argument with my course instructor when I learned to teach English as a foreign language.  I was taught that homonyms sound alike, and are spelled differently, such as their and there.  Heteronyms sound differently, but are spelled alike, such as furniture polish and Polish.  Maybe British English  uses the word homophones, which sounds phony to me.
I am often wrong, but not always.

Lillium

words that sound the same are homophones though. 

I'm going to be an English teacher.
Meow?

Fit2BThaied

I learned my terms long ago, without hearing of homophones.  In 8th grade, I made a long list of every homonym I could think of.   Now, a hundred years later (  ||smiley|| ),I have two dictionaries here: a cheap 1983 American, and a much better 2003 British.   The Yankee version gives the same definitions for homonym and homophone.  The British one says that homonyms are words that are spelled the same or sound the same, with different meanings.  In contrast, homophones  sound the same but have different spelling.  My instructor, a very accomplished but younger Brit with a likely drug habit, confused me to no end.  I have concluded that the terms have conflicting meanings on both sides of the pond, and have changed over the period of 50  years. 

I like the term homophone, since it clearly suggests similar sounds, and nothing more.  But if it also includes words that are spelled the same, that includes Polish and polish, which are not homonyms, and have different sounds. But I am confused, because the British seemed to say that Polish-polish are homonyms.

Vynn

So are you saying that homophones and homonyms are synonyms, or what?  ||cool||

Fit2BThaied

Quote from: Vynn on October 23, 2008, 02:59:20 AM
So are you saying that homophones and homonyms are synonyms, or what?  ||cool||
I am saying that this confused English teacher does not know.  Ever since taking that course and arguing with my instructor in 2003, I have been confused.

Vynn

Oh, well now i'm going to have to just remain perplexed on the whole matter.  ||beerchug||

Assyriankey

Ignoring composer and wilson is key to understanding the ontological unity of the material world.