News:

IGI has a myspace page.  Please add us if you're a myspace fiend!

Main Menu

9mm Sig

Started by meAgain, April 26, 2023, 12:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meAgain

My 22 year old daughter just bought a Smith & Wesson 9mm pistol.  Not sure how I feel about this. 

Emma286

Did she choose to buy it in case of a break in when she might unexpectedly be forced to defend herself?

If so, I can understand that I think. If I lived over in the USA, I'd personally be worried about somebody breaking in who might have a gun when doing so themselves! I'd want to own something like a pistol (at the very least) if I ever unexpectedly found myself in that situation (to best maximise my chances of defending myself).
"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed."

Albert Einstein

Kiahanie

Quote from: meAgain on April 26, 2023, 12:53:32 PMMy 22 year old daughter just bought a Smith & Wesson 9mm pistol.  Not sure how I feel about this. 

Smith and Wesson and Sig Sauer are two different companies, both make good weapons. I prefer the S&W line, but Sig Sauer has a nifty compact 9mm that would be a good concealed carry or ladies' pistol.

She will probably want to use hollowpoints to minimize through-and-through wounds, especially if used at close range. You will probably feel better if she takes some firearms training if she hasn't yet.

I wish for her safety, good luck, and a weapon she never has to use.
"If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet ... maybe we could understand something." --Federico Fellini....."Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation" -Jellaludin Rumi,

Kiahanie

Quote from: Emma286 on April 26, 2023, 01:35:39 PMDid she choose to buy it in case of a break in when she might unexpectedly be forced to defend herself?

If so, I can understand that I think. If I lived over in the USA, I'd personally be worried about somebody breaking in who might have a gun when doing so themselves! I'd want to own something like a pistol (at the very least) if I ever unexpectedly found myself in that situation (to best maximise my chances of defending myself).

My first wife  carried a Ruger 9mm, current wife carried a 9mm Walther for years before we found relative safety. My preference used to be a 9mm as regular carry, a .45auto if social use was expected. That big hole at the end of the barrel is pretty intimidating.
"If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet ... maybe we could understand something." --Federico Fellini....."Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation" -Jellaludin Rumi,

meAgain

QuoteSmith and Wesson and Sig Sauer are two different companies, both make good weapons.

Ha, ha, ha . . . my husband said the same thing when I told him what she told me – that she bought a S&W Sig.  I have no idea.  I'm pretty sure it was a S&W, but that she just called it a Sig in a general term like saying a Glock or pistol.  I don't know.  I'll have to ask her. 

QuoteI prefer the S&W line, but Sig Sauer has a nifty compact 9mm that would be a good concealed carry or ladies' pistol.

She's probably aware.  I am not. 

QuoteShe will probably want to use hollowpoints to minimize through-and-through wounds, especially if used at close range.

She probably knows this too, but I'll pass the info on. 

QuoteYou will probably feel better if she takes some firearms training if she hasn't yet.

She took a specific course for this.  But she is also in the Airforce ROTC and has had a lot of field training with rifles/shooting targets/combat simulation, etc.   

QuoteI wish for her safety, good luck, and a weapon she never has to use.

Thanks.  Me too.  

meAgain

QuoteDid she choose to buy it in case of a break in when she might unexpectedly be forced to defend herself?

That is a good question.  I actually am not sure.  She has had some training with guns, so feels comfortable enough and wanted to exercise her 2nd amendment rights.  She has been in the Upper Peninsula, Michigan in school for the last few years and I guess they love their guns there. 

QuoteIf so, I can understand that I think. If I lived over in the USA, I'd personally be worried about somebody breaking in who might have a gun when doing so themselves! I'd want to own something like a pistol (at the very least) if I ever unexpectedly found myself in that situation (to best maximise my chances of defending myself).

I'm not sure if this is her reason or not.  I don't really think she's afraid of being attacked.  I think she just likes to know she is ready to defend herself if need be. 

I just don't like the idea of having a gun around.  To me, I don't really see the reason.  I realize she feels comfortable and competent, but I personally still just don't get it.  Like Kiahanie said, I hope she never has to use it.   

meAgain

Quote from: Kiahanie on April 26, 2023, 05:58:19 PMMy first wife  carried a Ruger 9mm, current wife carried a 9mm Walther for years before we found relative safety. My preference used to be a 9mm as regular carry, a .45auto if social use was expected. That big hole at the end of the barrel is pretty intimidating.
Did you take it with you places, or just have it at your home?

Did you ever have to use it?

Kiahanie

Quote from: meAgain on April 26, 2023, 07:16:49 PM
Quote from: Kiahanie on April 26, 2023, 05:58:19 PMMy first wife  carried a Ruger 9mm, current wife carried a 9mm Walther for years before we found relative safety. My preference used to be a 9mm as regular carry, a .45auto if social use was expected. That big hole at the end of the barrel is pretty intimidating.
Did you take it with you places, or just have it at your home?
Did you ever have to use it?

For home defence I preferred a short barrel 20 gauge with #0buck or a turkey load.  I carried a pistol regularly but not constantly. I have used a variety of weapons for purposes other than target practice. Deterrence was the most common, but further details are unavailable.

Meat

I like any that go pew pew pew.  ||popcorn||
"Brilliant Meat!" +1 (composer)
"Amen Meat." (Former Believer)
"Like Meat said." (Francis)
"Not brilliant, Meat!" — Villanelle
"Damned right Meat." -Kusa
 "You call this comment censorship Meatless?" (Boobs)

meAgain

Kiahanie

Quote from: meAgain on April 26, 2023, 06:46:18 PM
QuoteYou will probably feel better if she takes some firearms training if she hasn't yet.

She took a specific course for this.  But she is also in the Airforce ROTC and has had a lot of field training with rifles/shooting targets/combat simulation, etc. 

Well then she's gonna be ok. She seems to know what she is doing. Sleep well.

8livesleft

Quote from: Kiahanie on April 26, 2023, 05:58:19 PM
Quote from: Emma286 on April 26, 2023, 01:35:39 PMDid she choose to buy it in case of a break in when she might unexpectedly be forced to defend herself?

My first wife  carried a Ruger 9mm, current wife carried a 9mm Walther for years before we found relative safety. My preference used to be a 9mm as regular carry, a .45auto if social use was expected. That big hole at the end of the barrel is pretty intimidating.

I like 45s too. The only trigger I'm comfortable with.

I have a philippine armscor officers version (slightly shorter barrel).

That thing does not jam no matter how dirty.

Emma286

Quote from: Kiahanie on April 26, 2023, 05:58:19 PM

Sorry to know that there was a point that you and your first wife were in an unsafe situation. Was it the case that you both lived in a high gun crime area but were then able to move to a different area where at least it rarely happened (and happens if you still live there)? 
"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed."

Albert Einstein

Kiahanie

Quote from: Emma286 on April 27, 2023, 06:37:44 AMSorry to know that there was a point that you and your first wife were in an unsafe situation. Was it the case that you both lived in a high gun crime area but were then able to move to a different area where at least it rarely happened (and happens if you still live there)?
No. Political radicalism in the '60s and 70s was dangerous in Los Angeles. I no longer live there.

Dexter

If she is unsure of the efficiency of the weapon, she should go down to the foyer and wait for someone to knock.
I begin today by acknowledging the Ngarluma people, Traditional Custodians of the land on which I work and live, and pay my respects to their Elders past and present. I extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.

Kiahanie

Yup. That's the way we do it over here. Too many people ringing doorbells anyway.

Emma286

Quote from: Kiahanie on April 27, 2023, 03:39:20 PM
Quote from: Emma286 on April 27, 2023, 06:37:44 AMSorry to know that there was a point that you and your first wife were in an unsafe situation. Was it the case that you both lived in a high gun crime area but were then able to move to a different area where at least it rarely happened (and happens if you still live there)?
No. Political radicalism in the '60s and 70s was dangerous in Los Angeles. I no longer live there.
Sorry about my error towards the end of that first paragraph! I meant to write in the brackets "and still at least rarely happens."

Glad to know that you were able to move to somewhere better. 

Albert Einstein

Kiahanie

Running away is not the epitome of valor, but I am here to tell the story. Eventually.

Emma286

Well humans ended up with the flight response for a very good reason, survival! Sometimes it's genuinely the more sensible logical choice over fighting or staying where you are. Sounds to me like you did the right thing!

Albert Einstein

Kiahanie

History is my judge. I want you as my defence advocate.