News:

Are you in the IGI Yearbook?

Main Menu

Who’s the……

Started by Meat, June 10, 2022, 04:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meat

racist? I went to do a piss test where the lobby was split in two for seating purposes.   On my left were all African-Americans, on the right everyone else. Subconsciously I went right. After awhile another African-American fella came in. After his trip to the front desk he hollers "How come all the white folks are over here and all the black folks over here?" Great stuff. Who in the office was racist? All of us, none of us or no telling?
"Brilliant Meat!" +1 (composer)
"Amen Meat." (Former Believer)
"Like Meat said." (Francis)
"Not brilliant, Meat!" — Villanelle
"Damned right Meat." -Kusa
 "You call this comment censorship Meatless?" (Boobs)

Meat

gun nut/supremacist? I went to a gun shop the other day and saw many many skin colors, genders and sizes and shapes of human beings. I'd like to be able to judge them swiftly like the media tries so how do I tell?

Meat

Yes I passed the test, bastards.

Meat

the smartest IGI member? Besides me of course, that's a no-brainer.

Meat

ugliest member? Besides me of course.

Meat

one or ones to blame for gas prices? Perhaps it's a virus and not human beings?

Kiahanie

Quote from: Meat on June 10, 2022, 04:50:33 PMgun nut/supremacist? I went to a gun shop the other day and saw many many skin colors, genders and sizes and shapes of human beings. I'd like to be able to judge them swiftly like the media tries so how do I tell?

As a first approximation, use shopping for AK/ARs and large (6+ rounds) magazines as a filter.

Hunters do not need large magazines, and high-powered weapons are not appropriate for personal or home defense. If arming for something else, good possibility they are nuts of one sort or another.
"If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet ... maybe we could understand something." --Federico Fellini....."Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation" -Jellaludin Rumi,

Meat

Quote from: Kiahanie on June 10, 2022, 06:15:23 PM
Quote from: Meat on June 10, 2022, 04:50:33 PMgun nut/supremacist? I went to a gun shop the other day and saw many many skin colors, genders and sizes and shapes of human beings. I'd like to be able to judge them swiftly like the media tries so how do I tell?

As a first approximation, use shopping for AK/ARs and large (6+ rounds) magazines as a filter.

Hunters do not need large magazines, and high-powered weapons are not appropriate for personal or home defense. If arming for something else, good possibility they are nuts of one sort or another.
So the fat ladies then.

Meat

Most polite bunch ever, lol.

kevin

Quote from: Kiahanie on June 10, 2022, 06:15:23 PMAs a first approximation, use shopping for AK/ARs and large (6+ rounds) magazines as a filter.

a hundred year old winchester 1873 repeating rifle holds 15 rounds of .44-40 black powder ammunition. the 1886 holds 9 rounds of .45-70.

my 58-year-old .22 marlin model 60 is a semiautomatic rifle and holds 18 rounds.

a standard 1911 colt .45 government model semiautomatic pistol holds 7 plus 1, while the 1935 browning hi-power hols 13 plus 1.

im thinking enforcing a six-round limit might be impractical.
may you bathe i the blood of a thousand sheep

Meat

Although I don't agree with K, I did ask a question so....Now I haven't been in a gun shop in years so it was interesting to see the mixture.

Kiahanie

Quote from: kevin on June 10, 2022, 08:04:59 PM
Quote from: Kiahanie on June 10, 2022, 06:15:23 PMAs a first approximation, use shopping for AK/ARs and large (6+ rounds) magazines as a filter.

a hundred year old winchester 1873 repeating rifle holds 15 rounds of .44-40 black powder ammunition. the 1886 holds 9 rounds of .45-70.

my 58-year-old .22 marlin model 60 is a semiautomatic rifle and holds 18 rounds.

a standard 1911 colt .45 government model semiautomatic pistol holds 7 plus 1, while the 1935 browning hi-power hols 13 plus 1.

im thinking enforcing a six-round limit might be impractical.

I was thinking semiautomatic long guns for the magazine limit.

Handguns are not high powered weapons. Even so, I think the 7 rounds in a 1911 are adequate for personal and household protection. seven rounds of 9mms should be enough too.Grandfather in the handguns and make larger magazines illegal to possess or sell.

Any civilian who gets off by firing off 30 rounds in 10-15 seconds is by my definition a gun nut. s**t. The damn bullets cost $1.00-$1.50.
"If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet ... maybe we could understand something." --Federico Fellini....."Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation" -Jellaludin Rumi,

Kiahanie

Also, considering .22 rimfire, those are not highpowered, either. Kip Kinkle used a .22 to kill 2 classmates and sound 25 others in 1998 in what I believe was the first mass shooting at a K-12 school.

Not deadly enough, so after the ARs became available again, all the shooters started using them, with much higher kill rates.

kevin

most deaths in mass shootings are handguns

Kiahanie

Quote from: kevin on June 10, 2022, 11:03:34 PMmost deaths in mass shootings are handguns

handgun mass shootings? a few certainly.  Certainly most gun deaths are caused by handguns, but most of those are not mass shootings, are typically 1-1.

This article counts number of mass shootings by rifle and handgun, not mass killing. Unable to quickly find comparison for kills.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/476409/mass-shootings-in-the-us-by-weapon-types-used/

This article has more info but not what I was looking for.
https://www.ojp.gov/ncjrs/virtual-library/abstracts/analysis-recent-mass-shootings

kevin

no. ive counted.

mass shootings, defined as 4 or more deaths. handguns mostly, shotguns and non semiauto rifles .

the assault rifle killings kill more people per incident,  but fewer people in mass shootings in general

could be things are changing. i counted all the deaths in mass shootings from 1990 on but its been several years now

Kiahanie

There is something kinda queasy about picking nits on mass killings and shootings. Get too lost in the weeds and I cannot see the blood anymore.

kevin

Meat

Hollywood loves the mass-shooting, at least in their films. Video game manufactures love them too because that's what sells. Now if you think there's some kind of silly connection to the real thing give your head a big shake.

Shnozzola

I love fortnite.  I'm getting pretty good at it too, but I tend to be a lazy pacifist, where I hide as much as I can, wait until there's like 3 people out of a 100 left and then I have to become a cold blooded killer with all the types of shotguns and lasers and everything else that I gathered. My wife always laughs at me and tells me I'm playing with 8 year olds anyway, so it's not much of accomplishment to win, but I win all the time.  But I do think that just the fact that you're gathering guns and running around trying to shoot people, that would have an influence on a six-year-old or 8 year old that is allowed to play that game non stop.
Ironically, the myriad  of "god" beliefs of humanity are proving to be more dangerous than us learning that we are on our own, making the way we treat each other far more important

Meat

Quote from: Shnozzola on June 11, 2022, 02:05:09 PMI love fortnite.  I'm getting pretty good at it too, but I tend to be a lazy pacifist, where I hide as much as I can, wait until there's like 3 people out of a 100 left and then I have to become a cold blooded killer with all the types of shotguns and lasers and everything else that I gathered. My wife always laughs at me and tells me I'm playing with 8 year olds anyway, so it's not much of accomplishment to win, but I win all the time.  But I do think that just the fact that you're gathering guns and running around trying to shoot people, that would have an influence on a six-year-old or 8 year old that is allowed to play that game non stop.
Quote from: Shnozzola on June 11, 2022, 02:05:09 PMI love fortnite.  I'm getting pretty good at it too, but I tend to be a lazy pacifist, where I hide as much as I can, wait until there's like 3 people out of a 100 left and then I have to become a cold blooded killer with all the types of shotguns and lasers and everything else that I gathered. My wife always laughs at me and tells me I'm playing with 8 year olds anyway, so it's not much of accomplishment to win, but I win all the time.  But I do think that just the fact that you're gathering guns and running around trying to shoot people, that would have an influence on a six-year-old or 8 year old that is allowed to play that game non stop.
I might add, not only violent but a non-stop babysitter for millions of parents. Now I'm not so stupid to admit guns don't kill people etc etc but, imagine growing up slaughtering folks on a video game for high scores and then mixing in another painful circumstance like bullying.  (Oops, hit quote twice)

Meat

Quote from: Meat on June 10, 2022, 04:40:39 PMracist? I went to do a piss test where the lobby was split in two for seating purposes.   On my left were all African-Americans, on the right everyone else. Subconsciously I went right. After awhile another African-American fella came in. After his trip to the front desk he hollers "How come all the white folks are over here and all the black folks over here?" Great stuff. Who in the office was racist? All of us, none of us or no telling?
I never quote myself but it's interesting that nobody took off with this post. Guns over racism.(Perhaps it's more "Meat's an idiot.")

Jstwebbrowsing

It's been many years for me, but AR15s are fun to shoot.  Rapidly emptying a clip is fun too.  It would be fun to cut down a tree with a minigun too.  I would like to shoot a .50 caliber sniper rifle, or a tank.

I like powerful machinery too.  I like powerful cars, lawn mowers, bull dozers, excavators, oil rigs, weed eaters, etc.  I like powerful telescopes, microscopes, huge fish tanks, powerful computers.  

Does that make me a nut?  Does that make me a white supremist?
Do not put your trust in princes nor in a son of man, who cannot bring salvation.

Psalm 146:3

kevin

if you shoot nonwhite people because you think they are inferior, that makes you a white supremacist.

youre already a nut by some peoples measures

Kiahanie

Quote from: Meat on June 11, 2022, 02:31:39 PM
Quote from: Meat on June 10, 2022, 04:40:39 PMracist? I went to do a piss test where the lobby was split in two for seating purposes.   On my left were all African-Americans, on the right everyone else. Subconsciously I went right. After awhile another African-American fella came in. After his trip to the front desk he hollers "How come all the white folks are over here and all the black folks over here?" Great stuff. Who in the office was racist? All of us, none of us or no telling?
I never quote myself but it's interesting that nobody took off with this post. Guns over racism.(Perhaps it's more "Meat's an idiot.")

It is a good question, though, especially because it requires us to distinguish between structural racism and personal "racialized" perceptions AND the relationship between the two.

Almost as if that room were a sociology experiment.

Kiahanie

Quote from: Jstwebbrowsing on June 11, 2022, 06:12:50 PMIt's been many years for me, but AR15s are fun to shoot.  Rapidly emptying a clip is fun too.  It would be fun to cut down a tree with a minigun too.  I would like to shoot a .50 caliber sniper rifle, or a tank.

I like powerful machinery too.  I like powerful cars, lawn mowers, bull dozers, excavators, oil rigs, weed eaters, etc.  I like powerful telescopes, microscopes, huge fish tanks, powerful computers. 

s**t, chopping down trees with a minigun is nearly the definition of a gun nut. What useful thing can you do with a minigun that you could not do with a .270?

Kiahanie

Just for clarification I enjoy(ed) the shooting sports. Still enjoy plinking and target shooting. I own a few handguns (.38, .357, .45auto, 9mm auto) and a variety of bolt action and single-shot rifles (.22, .240, .270, an old 8mm Mauser).

A .50cal sniper rifle is fun. Not nearly the kick you might expect. Heavy piece, though. And apparently more accurate than my shooting. The guy who owned it was hitting beer cans at 500 yards.

I have not hunted for decades, but have nothing against the practice.

Jstwebbrowsing

Quote from: Kiahanie on June 11, 2022, 07:35:13 PM
Quote from: Jstwebbrowsing on June 11, 2022, 06:12:50 PMIt's been many years for me, but AR15s are fun to shoot.  Rapidly emptying a clip is fun too.  It would be fun to cut down a tree with a minigun too.  I would like to shoot a .50 caliber sniper rifle, or a tank.

s**t, chopping down trees with a minigun is nearly the definition of a gun nut. What useful thing can you do with a minigun that you could not do with a .270?

It's not about the utility or need.  It's just entertainment.  I would never cut down a tree for entertainment, but I think it would fun to shoot a minigun or any big gun really.  It's not something I would want to do every day, just once.  It's just the awe of it like some other entertainments.  It's like the awe of a 1000 hp care engine.  It's just about the biggest and the best.  I have no need of the world's largest telescope, but I know it would be a blast to play with.  Does that make me a telescope nut?

Do not put your trust in princes nor in a son of man, who cannot bring salvation.

Kiahanie

Quote from: Jstwebbrowsing on June 11, 2022, 08:48:53 PM

It's not about the utility or need.  It's just entertainment.  I would never cut down a tree for entertainment, but I think it would fun to shoot a minigun or any big gun really.  It's not something I would want to do every day, just once.  It's just the awe of it like some other entertainments.  It's like the awe of a 1000 hp care engine.  It's just about the biggest and the best.  I have no need of the world's largest telescope, but I know it would be a blast to play with.  Does that make me a telescope nut?

Certainly a candidate for nut of some kind, equating fondness for telescopes with fondness for shooting Big Guns. But telescope nut? Naw, not unless you are in a telescope shop buying Big Telescopes.

Jstwebbrowsing

Quote from: Kiahanie on June 11, 2022, 08:55:12 PM
Quote from: Jstwebbrowsing on June 11, 2022, 08:48:53 PM

Certainly a candidate for nut of some kind, equating fondness for telescopes with fondness for shooting Big Guns. But telescope nut? Naw, not unless you are in a telescope shop buying Big Telescopes.
Why does equating the two make me a candidate?  What is so unique about guns?