News:

IGI has a Facebook group!

Main Menu

"Why?"

Started by 8livesleft, December 23, 2020, 01:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

8livesleft

So, we're here.

We have a good idea of the how: 14b years ago, a chain of events led to our solar system, which gave us this planet - where life started from simple organisms evolving to more and more complex ones until Homo sapiens arrived 200k years ago.

"Why?" does seem like an important question. But not for every living thing - which is about 95% of life?

For humans it seems important, but again, not for everyone. For the most part, people are just too busy simply living to even wonder why they're busy.

So, who's really asking? Bored people, perhaps? People who aren't doing much? People who don't know what to do with their lives? Maybe going through some kind of quarter/midlife crisis? People going through a rough patch?

Point is, if you're busy living, the "why" simply doesn't matter. If you have a plan or goal and you're living out that plan, you already have the "why."

Say, you're a doctor. Why? Because you wanted to help people and make money doing it. Because you grew up in a house that taught you that helping others is a good thing. Because your grandparents taught your parents the same thing + trillions of other what's, who's, where's, that created those conditions to make you a doctor.

Some would likely say, those little "why's" aren't what we're asking. It's the BIG "WHY."

The reality is, there is no Big Why. Just trillions upon trillions of little who's, what's, where's.

maritime

Ironic to be told what reality is, no Big Why, and suggestions about who might be asking the Big Why question (those bored, those who aren't doing much, those who don't know what to do with their lives, those going through some kind of quarter/midlife crisis, those going through a rough patch), when what you might have missed is that you asked yourself the Big Why question, didn't you, and have your answer: We're here. If you're keeping busy living, if you have a goal and a plan, count yourself in with the trillions upon trillions of little who's, what's, where's. That's it--EUREKA! Sorry but I don't think I'll take your word for it. I'll work it out for myself in the given "chain of events".

Quote...Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:...
The Charge of the Light Brigade
Alfred Lord Tennyson - 1809-1892

8livesleft

QuoteI'll work it out for myself in the given "chain of events".

That's exactly my point. "Why?" Is simply just a chain of events that got individuals to where they are.

Kiahanie

Quote from: 8livesleft on December 29, 2020, 01:49:25 AM

That's exactly my point. "Why?" Is simply just a chain of events that got individuals to where they are.
Interesting. I had thought most folks had their whys well in hand and were searching for The Great Because. And since "why" implies a reason, I have always considered "why not" a more easily accessible first approximation response than any that begins with "because."
"If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet ... maybe we could understand something." --Federico Fellini....."Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation" -Jellaludin Rumi,

maritime

I heard more than that. Asking why, for some, is important but not for everyone, you state. So who's asking, you ask, and suggest boredom, idleness, crisis and rough patches as spring boards to asking why. Those that are not busy simply living to even wonder why they're busy. That certainly pinpoints why one would ask why and leaves out a whole slew of great thinkers who have asked WHY over the ages. To suggest little whys are the thing and no Big Why is the reality cuts away at the wonder of it all. "So, we're here."

8livesleft

Quote from: Kiahanie on December 29, 2020, 02:28:41 AM

Interesting. I had thought most folks had their whys well in hand and were searching for The Great Because. And since "why" implies a reason, I have always considered "why not" a more easily accessible first approximation response than any that begins with "because."

I don't think that most folks even bother with the great because or great why, again, since they're already busy living it out. Parents, for example, are busy making sure their offspring are well taken care of. So, their purpose, role is crystal clear.

Of course, it can and does happen that people begin to question their roles, their choices in the context of the so called "big picture. In some cases, it could also be that your path/skills totally don't suit your environment and so, a total reinvention is required. Or maybe everything just "fits" and yet you don't feel satisfied or fulfilled - in which case, it could be a matter of recalibration or reaffirmation.

8livesleft

QuoteThat certainly pinpoints why one would ask why and leaves out a whole slew of great thinkers who have asked WHY over the ages. To suggest little whys are the thing and no Big Why is the reality cuts away at the wonder of it all. "So, we're here."

Sure, big thinkers have asked that question and have attempted to answer it. But, I think each of us has the "why." We just have to discover it, confirm it, calibrate it with our own realities. Some of us even change it altogether - as in the case of theists turning atheist and vice versa.

But, in my opinion, it's easier to discover and take ownership of the "why" if we break it all down to their most basic steps starting with the smaller, more real questions.

maritime

maritime

However, the "chain of events" you reference leading to "So, we're here." is not THE given ALL in ALL but then again it may reassure those who may get bored, idle, in a crisis or a rough patch to get busy with life in order to avoid having time on their hands to consider more than the little why. ||wink||

Kiahanie

Quote from: 8livesleft on December 29, 2020, 03:04:04 AM
Quote from: Kiahanie on December 29, 2020, 02:28:41 AM

I don't think that most folks even bother with the great because or great why, again, since they're already busy living it out. Parents, for example, are busy making sure their offspring are well taken care of. So, their purpose, role is crystal clear.
. . .
Yes. What we really believe is revealed in our actions. I think Maritime said something like that too, if I understood right.
"If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet ... maybe we could understand something." --Federico Fellini....."Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation" -Jellaludin Rumi,

8livesleft

Quote from: Kiahanie on December 29, 2020, 05:25:30 AM
What we really believe is revealed in our actions.

Possibly.

I think the real source of what's causing so many to feel unfulfilled, dissatisfied, disconnected or otherwise feeling like life itself is pointless - is that they're simply following what they've been taught or doing what's expected. There's no real freedom or agency in either.

So, even if someone's making a lot of money, doing something they're very good at, they can still end up feeling empty.

Granted, theists typically have an easier go of it because of the 24/7 reinforcement. But, it still happens that theists can feel the same thing - all it takes is dissonance between what they're told and the reality they're experiencing.

AgnosticDamien

Kind of like Francis. Claims he's not racist and talks about love and how Jesus was a brown Semite. But then votes for and eagerly defends Trump. Goes beyond me. Certainly I think actions speak louder than words.

8livesleft

Quote from: AgnosticDamien on January 07, 2021, 12:11:07 PM
Kind of like Francis. Claims he's not racist and talks about love and how Jesus was a brown Semite. But then votes for and eagerly defends Trump. Goes beyond me. Certainly I think actions speak louder than words.

Yes! That's the dissonance I'm talking about. When you have 2 or more opposing views conflicting with each other.

Like this Trump guy. I know lots of people in my country who think he's the best. Mostly religious women in fact. I know they've heard the stories, seen his behavior but then they say that since he's a republican that he's somehow automatically better than any Democrat.

Holy water goggles, I guess?

AgnosticDamien

Quote from: 8livesleft on January 07, 2021, 11:58:21 PM
Quote from: AgnosticDamien on January 07, 2021, 12:11:07 PM

Yes! That's the dissonance I'm talking about. When you have 2 or more opposing views conflicting with each other.

Like this Trump guy. I know lots of people in my country who think he's the best. Mostly religious women in fact. I know they've heard the stories, seen his behavior but then they say that since he's a republican that he's somehow automatically better than any Democrat.

Holy water goggles, I guess?

Woah I'm surprised he has some fans in the Phillipines, what would they like about him? Is it just because they think he's a Christian?

And yes, it's difficult to take Francis's claims about love and peace seriously, when he continues to repeat slogans spouted by racists and voted for someone who is demonstrabily racist. It's really weird I actually can't get my mind around it!

8livesleft

Quote from: AgnosticDamien on January 08, 2021, 04:42:02 PM

Woah I'm surprised he has some fans in the Phillipines, what would they like about him? Is it just because they think he's a Christian?

I was shocked too! and Yes that's basically a yuuuuge part of it. So, he's a huge draw for old ladies and stuff. The others that we know are pro-trump because they work with law enforcement in the US or are related to someone in the field. There are others we know who are hardcore trumpets. They follow QAnon and ONLY listen to *that side of the "news" - stuff you wouldn't be surprised if it was from the dark web. What's surprising though is how far removed they are from the typical trump die hards - you know, flannel shirts, beards, maga hats, some kind of fishing vest or outdoors jacket.

And yes, it's difficult to take Francis's claims about love and peace seriously, when he continues to repeat slogans spouted by racists and voted for someone who is demonstrabily racist. It's really weird I actually can't get my mind around it!

The human mind is an amazing at devising ways to cope with completely contrasting concepts. It can put a barrier between the concepts or place them in their own sections so the person can switch between modes as needed.

But it seems to me that Francis is simply just pro trump mostly because he's a republican. I wouldn't be surprised if he voted for someone else in the preliminaries or the time when both parties vote for their candidates.

AgnosticDamien

Quote from: 8livesleft on January 08, 2021, 10:32:15 PM
Quote from: AgnosticDamien on January 08, 2021, 04:42:02 PM

I was shocked too! and Yes that's basically a yuuuuge part of it. So, he's a huge draw for old ladies and stuff. The others that we know are pro-trump because they work with law enforcement in the US or are related to someone in the field. There are others we know who are hardcore trumpets. They follow QAnon and ONLY listen to *that side of the "news" - stuff you wouldn't be surprised if it was from the dark web. What's surprising though is how far removed they are from the typical trump die hards - you know, flannel shirts, beards, maga hats, some kind of fishing vest or outdoors jacket.

The human mind is an amazing at devising ways to cope with completely contrasting concepts. It can put a barrier between the concepts or place them in their own sections so the person can switch between modes as needed.

But it seems to me that Francis is simply just pro trump mostly because he's a republican. I wouldn't be surprised if he voted for someone else in the preliminaries or the time when both parties vote for their candidates.

I thought it was for that reason. But I'd really question whether Trump is really a christian. He's not very open about his faith so it's hard to be sure.

As with Francis, I wouldn't be too lenient. He probably is a closet racist, like most christians, they're good at hiding it though. Can talk about love and peace all day but dudes voted for a rapist and an overtly racist president. I won't be fooled so easily.

8livesleft

QuoteI thought it was for that reason. But I'd really question whether Trump is really a christian. He's not very open about his faith so it's hard to be sure.

I'm pretty sure it's all for show.

That said, what is it to be a "true Christian" anyway? Is it following the Bible word for word? Is it following Jesus again word for word? Because that would make you a pretty messed up person either way because it either means you're dishing out punishment or getting yourself nailed to the cross.

Or is it following the loose concept of Jesus? Which is being a kind/loving/selfless person or a "man for others." and if that's all it is, then why follow the Bible at all? It's not rocket science. There's no magic divine formula. Just stop being a prick and help people as much as possible.

Kiahanie

Wait wait wait a minute. Hold on there. You said there is no magic beans or divine formula? I thought "42" was settled science.

8livesleft

Quote from: Kiahanie on January 09, 2021, 10:57:02 PM
Wait wait wait a minute. Hold on there. You said there is no magic beans or divine formula? I thought "42" was settled science.

Haha yes

Kiahanie

Ah. Thank you. My monoverse was shaken there for a minute.

8livesleft

Quote from: Kiahanie on January 09, 2021, 11:11:29 PM
Ah. Thank you. My monoverse was shaken there for a minute.

LOL they should make a series out of that. Would be cool if we had that, foundation and dune showing at the same time.

Jstwebbrowsing

Quote from: 8livesleft on December 23, 2020, 01:19:26 AM
So, we're here.

We have a good idea of the how: 14b years ago, a chain of events led to our solar system, which gave us this planet - where life started from simple organisms evolving to more and more complex ones until Homo sapiens arrived 200k years ago.

"Why?" does seem like an important question. But not for every living thing - which is about 95% of life?

For humans it seems important, but again, not for everyone. For the most part, people are just too busy simply living to even wonder why they're busy.

So, who's really asking? Bored people, perhaps? People who aren't doing much? People who don't know what to do with their lives? Maybe going through some kind of quarter/midlife crisis? People going through a rough patch?

Point is, if you're busy living, the "why" simply doesn't matter. If you have a plan or goal and you're living out that plan, you already have the "why."

Say, you're a doctor. Why? Because you wanted to help people and make money doing it. Because you grew up in a house that taught you that helping others is a good thing. Because your grandparents taught your parents the same thing + trillions of other what's, who's, where's, that created those conditions to make you a doctor.

Some would likely say, those little "why's" aren't what we're asking. It's the BIG "WHY."

The reality is, there is no Big Why. Just trillions upon trillions of little who's, what's, where's.

It seem to me the purpose of life in this world is to gain money and pay taxes.  Why?  Because the world says so.
Do not put your trust in princes nor in a son of man, who cannot bring salvation.

Psalm 146:3

8livesleft

Quote from: Jstwebbrowsing on April 29, 2021, 05:28:05 AM

It seem to me the purpose of life in this world is to gain money and pay taxes.  Why?  Because the world says so.

Money is just a means to an end for most.

However, it does appear that the world in general celebrates those with wealth as if they were heroes or idols. So, others want to follow in their footsteps but are they making money just to get wealthy or to become famous and be idolized or maybe they're doing it to prove their worth?

AgnosticDamien

Grand luring by religious people. There's no happiness in money so join our Jehova cult instead. Lol. Yes society isn't perfect , but I'm not joining any cult which expects me to worship and devote my life to an invisible God. ||popcorn||

Jstwebbrowsing

Quote from: 8livesleft on April 29, 2021, 06:58:34 AM

However, it does appear that the world in general celebrates those with wealth as if they were heroes or idols. So, others want to follow in their footsteps but are they making money just to get wealthy or to become famous and be idolized or maybe they're doing it to prove their worth?

I think people have become brainwashed by economics which is geared toward getting people to consume as much as possible.
Do not put your trust in princes nor in a son of man, who cannot bring salvation.

Jstwebbrowsing

Quote from: AgnosticDamien on April 29, 2021, 11:53:14 AM
Grand luring by religious people. There's no happiness in money so join our Jehova cult instead. Lol. Yes society isn't perfect , but I'm not joining any cult which expects me to worship and devote my life to an invisible God. ||popcorn||

Do what you like but the world's economics is broken and not sustainable and plutocracy sucks. 

AgnosticDamien

I'm not sure I was claiming otherwise. But I just don't see the solution in religion. Maybe you forget that the government and people fund religious institutions, so they too rely on the economic system in place. So how would a world run by JWs look? What's your solution to the broken economic system?

Kiahanie

Quote from: Jstwebbrowsing on April 30, 2021, 09:36:53 PM
Do what you like but the world's economics is broken and not sustainable and plutocracy sucks.

That is something I can agree with you, Jst.

8livesleft

Quote from: Jstwebbrowsing on April 30, 2021, 09:25:50 PM
Quote from: 8livesleft on April 29, 2021, 06:58:34 AM

I think people have become brainwashed by economics which is geared toward getting people to consume as much as possible.

You're right but only for the sector that consumes. The rest are living in near poverty working themselves ragged to provide for the consumers.

AgnosticDamien

The thing is, no matter how many problems there are in the world, it still doesn't prove that Jst's God is real. You can be simple as an atheist, without falling for all the consumerism. But then it just proves there's no need for religion anymore. No more religious tickets getting sold.  ||popcorn||