News:

New members, please say hello to the forum in the Introductions board!

Main Menu

Hello

Started by VillanelleSFX, February 03, 2020, 10:33:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VillanelleSFX

Hello, everyone.

Not entirely sure how this is supposed to work. Looked for a reply button & couldn't find.

From reading some of the threads, it looks like most everyone who answered the question "No." anyone around who answered "yes"?

Have all the topics been used? Is there anything new to say? I've been on a few boards for a few years but more and more seem to be going away. Boredom? Death? I don't know.

I'm big on facts. Most believers aren't. At least in my experience.

I used to be on a Christian board. I was banned after 2 days when I typed "Xian." They said I was disrespectful. I believe that everyone is entitled to their own beliefs. I draw the line at beliefs being assumed as facts and then converted to political action.

Maybe that's why the religious discussion boards are disappearing. The believers assume their beliefs are facts and the disbelievers have heard all the arguments.

Here's about me: I used to be a believer. I sought out the discussion boards to try to shore up my faith. It didn't work. Along the way I saw that the believers didn't have the facts I've been looking for. So I'm still looking for a reason to believe.

none

hello
welcome
this is the last surviving forum of the strong three, all hatched about the same time....
att, wwgha have both perished
Mooby is the owner and quite fair when it comes to moderation but I think he still believes Jesus got his dad pregnant
the candle can only be lit so many times.
If this is hell I'm welcome to leave

8livesleft

Welcome!

Used to be a devout christian as well. And when I say "devout" I mean I was baptised as an infant, forced to tag along with my folks to go to church, pretend to look pious at mass, weddings, baptisms and other religious events.

And I'm sure most people have a similar experience as me where religion and belief was never a choice, rather, it was imposed by our parents/society. Much like how it has been for all the religions in history.

So yeah, I'm looking forward to whatever mankind thinks of for the next religion.

Cheers!

Mr. Blackwell

Hello and welcome.

Quote from: VillanelleSFX on February 03, 2020, 10:33:49 PM
So I'm still looking for a reason to believe.

Why?
Unrestricted free speech, paradoxically, results in less speech, not more. - Yoel Roth

VillanelleSFX

Quote from: none on February 03, 2020, 10:44:45 PM
hello
welcome
this is the last surviving forum of the strong three, all hatched about the same time....
Mooby is the owner and quite fair when it comes to moderation but I think he still believes Jesus got his dad pregnant
Thank you. I'm a little confused by some of the names. I guess it will clear up in time. Your tag line is cute.

none

Quote from: VillanelleSFX on February 04, 2020, 02:21:29 AM
Quote from: none on February 03, 2020, 10:44:45 PM
hello
welcome
Thank you. I'm a little confused by some of the names. I guess it will clear up in time. Your tag line is cute.
atheistthinktank.net whywontgodhealamputees.com both had forums
but they are either dead or dormant
the candle can only be lit so many times.
If this is hell I'm welcome to leave

VillanelleSFX

Quote from: Mr. Blackwell on February 04, 2020, 01:45:53 AM
Hello and welcome.

Why?
Thank you. The reason I'm looking for a reason to believe is that thinking about having wasted my life or the Sundays of my life doesn't reflect well on my brainpower but it does reflect well on my gullibility.

Mr. Blackwell

Quote from: VillanelleSFX on February 04, 2020, 03:36:39 AM
Hello and welcome.

Why?
Thank you. The reason I'm looking for a reason to believe is that thinking about having wasted my life or the Sundays of my life doesn't reflect well on my brainpower but it does reflect well on my gullibility.

So, you were young and gullible when you first began to believe. That bears no reflection on who you are now. You have grown and learned.

Yet, you still seek a reason to believe?

Why are you trying to hold on to the religion passed down to you even after you have rejected it?

Do you still believe that the fairytales you were taught might be true?
Unrestricted free speech, paradoxically, results in less speech, not more. - Yoel Roth

Dexter

Welcome. +1 for asking if there is anything new to say
I begin today by acknowledging the Ngarluma people, Traditional Custodians of the land on which I work and live, and pay my respects to their Elders past and present. I extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.

VillanelleSFX

Quote from: Mr. Blackwell on February 04, 2020, 05:03:21 AM
Hello and welcome.

Why?

So, you were young and gullible when you first began to believe. That bears no reflection on who you are now. You have grown and learned.

Why are you trying to hold on to the religion passed down to you even after you have rejected it?

You just can't escape religion. Especially these days, it's everywhere. I would like to understand the appeal that religion has especially in this country. When you look at Christianity without bias, it looks like a creepy death cult. Is that what I was? A member of a creepy death cult? What sets apart Christianity from a Jim Jones-like cult?

VillanelleSFX

Quote from: Dexter on February 04, 2020, 12:27:57 PM
Welcome. +1 for asking if there is anything new to say
Thank you. Is there a good answer to my question?

Inertialmass

Quote from: VillanelleSFX on February 04, 2020, 05:42:02 PM
...When you look at Christianity without bias, it looks like a creepy death cult...

I don't think I ever for even a moment believed in god or Jesus or any of it.  Probably because my Dad was an overt atheist.  As a little kid, when they'd say the names of religious figures like god and Jesus I'd take it in exactly the same as I'd take in the names of other fiction figures like Ulysses, Don Quixote, Gulliver, Huck Finn and so on.  And yeah, no lie, what the Judeo-Christer US has done with slavery and racism, in WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq etc. all looks from the outside very very much like a really creepy, literal death cult.

God and religion are not conveyances of Truth or Comfort.  They function as instruments of earthly social control.

VillanelleSFX

Quote from: Inertialmass on February 04, 2020, 06:42:11 PM
...When you look at Christianity without bias, it looks like a creepy death cult...

I don't think I ever for even a moment believed in god or Jesus or any of it.  Probably because my Dad was an overt atheist.  As a little kid, when they'd say the names of religious figures like god and Jesus I'd take it in exactly the same as I'd take in the names of other fiction figures like Ulysses, Don Quixote, Gulliver, Huck Finn and so on.  And yeah, no lie, what the Judeo-Christer US has done with slavery and racism, in WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq etc. all looks from the outside very very much like a really creepy, literal death cult.

That must have been when I started questioning Christianity was when I realized how much like a creepy death cult it was. "You can be a member of our club, but you have to die first." That's just creepy. If you heard it in any other context but Christianity, it would be obvious that it's a creepy difficult but for some reason, Christianity gets a free pass. Weird.

Inertialmass

Quote from: VillanelleSFX on February 04, 2020, 08:24:07 PM
...for some reason, Christianity gets a free pass. Weird.   

From within Christianity it gets the free pass.  Of course not so much from outside. 

Someplace I saw the hypothesis that Islam was actually invented in the Arabian Peninsula, at the exact time it was invented, altogether unconsciously as a way of unifying the scattered Arab tribes to repulse and remove Christian and Jewish imperialism and rapine from the region.  In this model, if it's true, tribal hubris catalyzes more tribal hubris.

God and religion are not conveyances of Truth or Comfort.  They function as instruments of earthly social control.

8livesleft

Quote from: Mr. Blackwell on February 04, 2020, 05:03:21 AM
Hello and welcome.

Why?

You just can't escape religion. Especially these days, it's everywhere. I would like to understand the appeal that religion has especially in this country. When you look at Christianity without bias, it looks like a creepy death cult. Is that what I was? A member of a creepy death cult? What sets apart Christianity from a Jim Jones-like cult?

Lol "creepy death cult."

It's funny how it all seems to real or normal as theists or christians. When you're force fed this junk as kids, you just lap it all up without question.

But what I don't get is why more people (as adults) don't question if this stuff is even valid in the first place.

They just keep on adding to the junk until they're basically slaves to junk.

Emma286

Hi there, welcome to the site.

Hoping that you find reading and posting here helpful!
"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed."

Albert Einstein

VillanelleSFX

Quote from: Emma286 on March 01, 2020, 01:42:58 PM
Hi there, welcome to the site.

Hoping that you find reading and posting here helpful!
Thank you. I'm still finding the site difficult to navigate, but it's getting better. My major malfunction is when I click on the new posts link, sometimes I get the posts I read the day before. I must be doing something wrong. I managed to post a picture last week but haven't been able to do it since.