News:

IGI has a myspace page.  Please add us if you're a myspace fiend!

Main Menu

Christian Doctrine - Pop Quiz.

Started by eyeshaveit, August 23, 2016, 10:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyeshaveit

Approximately two thirds of the doctrinal material found in the New Testament of the Holy Bible concerns which important Christian doctrine?

Spoiler
The Second Coming of Jesus Christ -

"Remember ... that scoffers will come in the last days with scoffing, following their own sinful desires. They will say, ?Where is the promise of his coming? For ever since the fathers fell asleep, all things are continuing as they were from the beginning of creation ... The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance." - 2 Peter 3.
[close]
Jesus Christ died so you could have access to God.

Teaspoon Shallow

These scoffers who will come out near the last days looks like that included Jesus followers while he was alive.

John 6:58-66.  The end days seem to be end millennia or more.  Guess the end days are metaphorical and not literal.
"If I could stop a person from raping a child, I would.    That's the difference between me and your God." Tracie Harris

Francis

I would think that regardless of how many times a Christian doctrine  is mentioned or not in the Bible...  the most important Christian doctrine would be found in 1 Corinthians 15:13-19... which basically says: "And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith"... and we as Christians are of all men most pitiable and foolish.

But that is my personal opinion.

composer

Quote from: Francis on August 23, 2016, 05:32:16 PM
I would think that regardless of how many times a Christian doctrine  is mentioned or not in the Bible...  the most important Christian doctrine would be found in 1 Corinthians 15:13-19... which basically says: "And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith"... and we as Christians are of all men most pitiable and foolish.
||think||

There are NO genuine jebus' believers, just those that ' claim they are '.

&

No more pitiable & foolish than all others that similarly try to structure themselves to Historical MYTHS!

||popcorn||
Your alleged gods are very bad god persons, I am offering them the chance to become good god persons for the very first time, but only after they admit they are bad god persons and want to try again.

Emma286

My thoughts are the same on that last.
"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed."

Albert Einstein

eyeshaveit

Some Christians, when discussing creation, subscribe to the Gap Theory (Ruin-Restitution Hypothesis), which proposes millions to billions of years of time passing between what two verses of the Holy Bible?

Spoiler
Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2.
[close]

The Gap Theory hinges on one word in the Bible. The translation of that Hebrew word is what part of speech: a noun; a verb; or a conjunction?

Spoiler
A verb.
[close]

What are the two principal English translations of that Hebrew word?

Spoiler
"was" and "became".
[close]

In the broader Hebrew scriptures the word in question occurs hundreds of times. How do the two disputed words compare as to percentage rate?

Spoiler
Was = 99%.
Became = 1%. 

"In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. [gap] The earth 'was/became' without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters." - Genesis 1:1-2.
[close]

Jstwebbrowsing

Quote from: Francis on August 23, 2016, 05:32:16 PM

But that is my personal opinion.

"The most important Christian doctrine" is an interesting subject for thought.  I guess for me there are a few scrpitures that come to mind, one being the one you already posted.  Another one is "Repent for the Kingdom of heaven is near."

However I think there is one even more central to Christianity found at Isaiah 42:8.  "I am Jehovah, that is my name; and my glory I will not give to another, neither my praise to graven images."  What I see is that Christianty is an act of God sanctifying himself.   So I think the most important doctrine is that God will be sanctified. 
Do not put your trust in princes nor in a son of man, who cannot bring salvation.

Psalm 146:3

Kiahanie

Quote from: Jstwebbrowsing on August 24, 2016, 01:26:24 PM[. . . .]What I see is that Christianty is an act of God sanctifying himself. . . .
??? Can you explain that please? Or clarify it? Why would the presumed source of sanctity / sacredness need to be "sanctified"? How would that be done? Is there scriptural authority for that divine self-sanctification?
Quote from: American Heritage Dictionary
Sanctify
1. To set apart for sacred use; consecrate: The preacher sanctified the ground as a cemetery.
2. To make holy; purify: They felt the spirit had descended and sanctified their hearts. They sanctified the body with holy oil.
3. To give religious sanction to, as with an oath or vow: The wedding ceremony sanctifies the marriage.
4. To give social or moral sanction to: "The only books I wanted to read as a teenager were those sanctified by my elders and betters" (David Eggers).
"If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet ... maybe we could understand something." --Federico Fellini....."Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation" -Jellaludin Rumi,

composer

Quote from: Jstwebbrowsing on August 24, 2016, 01:26:24 PM
"The most important Christian doctrine" is an interesting subject for thought.  I guess for me there are a few scrpitures that come to mind, one being the one you already posted.  Another one is "Repent for the Kingdom of heaven is near."
||think||

Can't be ' close ' because the Botchtower is currently selling off its current Head Office and transferring to new HQ's.

Quote from: Jstwebbrowsing on August 24, 2016, 01:26:24 PM
However I think there is one even more central to Christianity found at Isaiah 42:8.  "I am Jehovah, that is my name; . . . .
||think||

The Botchtower itself disagrees!

Their book, "Let Your Name Be Sanctified" freely admits on pages 16 and 18 that Yahweh is the superior translation of the Tetragrammaton (YHWH). This book has lately been withdrawn. However, in the preface of their "The Kingdom Interlinear Translation of the Greek Scriptures," we find on page 23 the following admission:

"While inclining to view the pronunciation 'Yahweh' as the more correct way, we have retained the form 'Jehovah' because of people's familiarity with it since the 14th century.

So the Botchtower relies on the Traditions of some whilst accuracy is cast aside.

&

Another Video the Botchtower doesn't want you to see -

http://isgodimaginary.com/forum/index.php/topic,62317.msg813220.html#msg813220

||popcorn||

Your alleged gods are very bad god persons, I am offering them the chance to become good god persons for the very first time, but only after they admit they are bad god persons and want to try again.

eyeshaveit

Is Satan a real personality or just an abstract idea and belief?

Spoiler
Satan (the devil) has access, both to the earth and human creatures:

?Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan also came among them. The Lord said to Satan, ?From where have you come?? Satan answered the Lord and said, ?From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking up and down on it.?? - Job 1.

Jesus was tempted by the devil:

?And Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit in the wilderness for forty days, being tempted by the devil. And he ate nothing during those days. And when they were ended, he was hungry. The devil said to him, ?If you are the Son of God, command this stone to become bread. And Jesus answered him, ?It is written, ?Man shall not live by bread alone.???  - Luke 4.

Jesus spoke of the devil to others:

?You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies.? - John 8.

Jesus spoke of the devil's power:

?When anyone hears the word of the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what has been sown in his heart.? - Matthew 13.
[close]

composer

Quote from: eyeshaveit on August 25, 2016, 09:11:02 AM

Spoiler

?Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan also came among them. The Lord said to Satan, ?From where have you come?? Satan answered the Lord and said, ?From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking up and down on it.?? - Job 1.

?And Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit in the wilderness for forty days, being tempted by the devil. And he ate nothing during those days. And when they were ended, he was hungry. The devil said to him, ?If you are the Son of God, command this stone to become bread. And Jesus answered him, ?It is written, ?Man shall not live by bread alone.???  - Luke 4.

?You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies.? - John 8.

?When anyone hears the word of the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what has been sown in his heart.? - Matthew 13.
[close]
||think||

The claim it refers to a biblical supernatural fallen angelic being is demonstrably false!

The Hebrew Term Satan, is simply a Hebrew word meaning ANY OPPOSER / ENEMY / ADVERSARY, GOOD or BAD, Male or Female or Neuter Gender.

||popcorn||

eyeshaveit

Quote from: composer on August 26, 2016, 12:13:47 AM
Quote from: eyeshaveit on August 25, 2016, 09:11:02 AM

Spoiler

[close]
||think||

The claim it refers to a biblical supernatural fallen angelic being is demonstrably false!

The Hebrew Term Satan, is simply a Hebrew word meaning ANY OPPOSER / ENEMY / ADVERSARY, GOOD or BAD, Male or Female or Neuter Gender.

||popcorn||

"And the Lord said to Satan, ?Have you considered the man, Composer"? Then Satan answered the Lord and said, "Composer doesn't need my personal attention, he does not believe in me and mine.""

composer

Quote from: composer on August 26, 2016, 12:13:47 AM
||think||

||popcorn||
Quote from: eyeshaveit on August 26, 2016, 09:19:45 AM
"And the Lord said to Satan, ?Have you considered the man, Composer"? Then Satan answered the Lord and said, "Composer doesn't need my personal attention, he does not believe in me and mine.""
||think||

CEB   The Lord said to the Adversary, ?Have you thought about my servant Job, for there is no one like him on earth, a man who is honest, who is of absolute integrity, who reveres God and avoids evil? He still holds on to his integrity, even though you incited me to ruin him for no reason.? (Job 2:3)

CJB   Adonai asked the Adversary, ?Did you notice my servant Iyov, that there?s no one like him on earth, a blameless and upright man who fears God and shuns evil, and that he still holds on to his integrity, even though you provoked me against him to destroy him for no reason?? (Job 2:3)

MEV   The Lord said to the Adversary, ?Have you considered My servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and an upright man, who fears God and avoids evil? He still holds fast his integrity, although you moved Me against him, to destroy him without cause.? (Job 2:3)

(https://www.biblegateway.com/verse/en/Job%202:3)

Now try proving this/ANY Adversary, was a naughty/fallen supernatural angel-being?

||popcorn||

eyeshaveit

List the three types of law found in the Holy Bible?

Spoiler
1 - Proverbs - are practical insights and wisdom:

"Love not sleep, lest you come to poverty; open your eyes, and you will have plenty of bread." - Proverbs 20:13.

2 - Case Law - is comprised of precedent setting practical judgments:

"If fire breaks out and catches in thorns so that the stacked grain or the standing grain or the field is consumed, he who started the fire shall make full restitution." - Exodus 22:6.

3 - Moral Absolutes - are absolute standards used to judge whether specific actions are right or wrong, no matter the context of the act:

"You shall not murder" - Deuteronomy 5:17.
[close]

composer

||think||

You are trying to do a wilson by moving the goal-posts!

You raised the Satan assertion!

Now try proving this/ANY Adversary, was a naughty/fallen supernatural angel-being?

||popcorn||

eyeshaveit

Quote from: composer on August 26, 2016, 09:47:23 AM
||think||

You are trying to do a wilson by moving the goal-posts!

You raised the Satan assertion!

||popcorn||

The goal posts are intact; your argument is with the esteemed translators of Holy Writ.

composer

Quote from: eyeshaveit on August 26, 2016, 09:54:04 AM
The goal posts are intact; your argument is with the esteemed translators of Holy Writ.
||think||

Esteemed by whom?

The literal holiness of your writ is wanting, as is ALL acclaimed holy-writs!

i.e. That ANY literal supernatural being was involved in ANY way = zero!

You are welcome to try to prove otherwise?

Meanwhile, stop trying to move the goal-posts and instead focus on your other current dilemma, i.e. try proving this/ANY Adversary, was a naughty/fallen supernatural angel-being?

||popcorn||

eyeshaveit

Quote from: composer on August 27, 2016, 01:45:29 AM

Meanwhile, stop trying to move the goal-posts and instead focus on your other current dilemma, i.e. try proving this/ANY Adversary, was a naughty/fallen supernatural angel-being?

The pop quiz asks the questions; not you. And if you don't like the answers, get up a petition to have my teaching certificate annulled forthright, and/or establish a new school and curriculum for doubters such as yourself.

Anyone can be negative and stand on the sidelines and bleach and throw sheet all over everything. Do you have it in you to do something positive?   

eyeshaveit

Swing Low, Sweet Chariot

Swing low, sweet chariot
Coming for to carry me home
Swing low, sweet chariot

I looked over Jordan and what did I see
A band of angels coming after me

If you get there before I do
Tell all my friends I'm coming to

The old Negro spiritual, Swing Low, Sweet Chariot,  was composed by unknown slaves, and based on what chapter of the Holy Bible?

Spoiler

2 Kings 2:

?And as they still went on and talked, behold, chariots of fire and horses of fire separated the two of them. And Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven. And Elisha saw it and he cried, ?My father, my father! The chariots of Israel and its horsemen!? And he saw him no more.?
[close]

composer

Quote from: composer on August 27, 2016, 01:45:29 AM

Quote from: eyeshaveit on August 27, 2016, 07:44:10 AM
The pop quiz asks the questions; not you. And if you don't like the answers, get up a petition to have my teaching certificate annulled forthright, and/or establish a new school and curriculum for doubters such as yourself.
||think||

You have failed to provide a coherent - legitimate answer regarding your Job 2:3 assertion!

Quote from: eyeshaveit on August 27, 2016, 07:44:10 AM
Anyone can be negative and stand on the sidelines and bleach and throw sheet all over everything. Do you have it in you to do something positive?   
||think||

My participation here and elsewhere is always a positive!

e.g. I expose fraudulent beliefs/ideologies like yours, then correct them!

Conversely those like YOU fail to support your claims, and instead try to move the goal-posts in a pitiful attempt to hide your spurious ideological claims e.g.

Focus on your another of your current dilemmas, i.e. try proving this/ANY Adversary (e.g. Job 2:3 you raised), was a naughty/fallen supernatural angel-being?

Meanwhile, unlike you & Co, I remain entirely vindicated

||popcorn||

eyeshaveit

"Christian Doctrine - Pop Quiz: Is Satan a real personality or just an abstract idea and belief?"

Christian doctrine is based on the Holy Bible; which book leaves nothing to the imagination, as it makes the definite assertion, that Satan is a real personality.

This thread is about "Christian doctrine" and not any of my faith beliefs, which are subjects for other threads.

Your quarrel is with the Holy Bible; not me.

Start another thread, or stay here, be a bully and cast sheet all over everything; the choice is yours.

composer

Quote from: eyeshaveit on August 27, 2016, 11:48:25 AM
"Christian Doctrine - Pop Quiz: Is Satan a real personality or just an abstract idea and belief?"

Christian doctrine is based on the Holy Bible; which book leaves nothing to the imagination,
||popcorn||

Based predominantly on Historical MYTHICAL characters like jebus, pauly, moses, apostles & their human devised antics, it leaves everything to the imagination; such as why any sane person would use it as a doctrine for themselves?

Quote from: eyeshaveit on August 27, 2016, 11:48:25 AM
as it makes the definite assertion, that Satan is a real personality.

This thread is about "Christian doctrine" and not any of my faith beliefs, which are subjects for other threads.

Your quarrel is with the Holy Bible; not me.

Start another thread, or stay here, be a bully and cast sheet all over everything; the choice is yours.
||think||

My correcting those like you & Co. with reality & truth, apparently makes you go on the offensive trying to ' shoot the messenger ' (e.g. Moi!) including falsely accusing them of ' bullying ' for having shaken your (at best) hearsay beliefs to the ground

&

Yes! a Satan can be a real personality!

e.g. YOU (You oppose & are an Adversary to the Truth I bear!)

&

Mythical Story book Peter (Mark 8:33)

CEB   Jesus turned and looked at his disciples, then sternly corrected Peter: ?Get behind me, Satan. You are not thinking God?s thoughts but human thoughts.?

CJB   But, turning around and looking at his talmidim, he rebuked Kefa. ?Get behind me, Satan!? he said, ?For your thinking is from a human perspective, not from God?s perspective!?

MEV   But when He had turned around and looked at His disciples, He rebuked Peter, saying, ?Get behind Me, Satan! For you are not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men.?

||popcorn||

eyeshaveit

Google definition of 'religious syncretism':

"Religious syncretism exhibits blending of two or more religious belief systems into a new system, or the incorporation into a religious tradition of beliefs from unrelated traditions."

Is religious syncretism encouraged and promoted by the Holy Bible?

Spoiler
No,

"And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.? - Joshua 24.

"And Elijah came near to all the people and said, ?How long will you go limping between two different opinions? If the LORD is God, follow him; but if Baal, then follow him.? - 1 Kings 18.

"Jesus said to him, ?I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." - John 14.

"But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed." - Galatians 2.
[close]

eyeshaveit

Christian salvation falls into what three broad categories?

Spoiler
1 ? Legalism - Saving yourself by how you live.

?Establishing requirements for salvation beyond repentance and faith in Jesus Christ and reducing the ? precepts of the Bible to narrow and rigid moral codes ? an over-emphasis of discipline of conduct, or legal ideas ...? - Wikipedia.

?The doctrine that salvation is gained through good works.? - Dictionarydotcom.

?The scribes and the Pharisees ... tie up heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on people's shoulders? - Matthew 23.

2 ? Relativism - You are saved. no matter how you live.

?Relativism is the doctrine that there are no absolute truths ... that truth is always relative to some particular frame of reference ...? - Wikipedia.

?The philosophical doctrine that all criteria of judgment are relative to the individuals and situations involved? - Vocabularydotcom.

?In those days there was no king in Israel. Everyone did what was right in his own eyes.? - Judges 21.

3 ? The Gospel ? You are saved by faith and grace alone.

?The gospel ? or Good News is the news of the coming of the Kingdom of God and ? the saving acts of God due to the work of Jesus on the cross and Jesus' resurrection from the dead which bring reconciliation (?atonement?) between people and God ? foretold throughout the Old Testamernt and was prophetically preached even ? in Genesis 3:14-15 ...? - Wikipedia.

?Glad tidings, especially concerning salvation and the kingdom of God as announced to the world by Christ? - Dictionarydotcom.

?Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand, and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you?unless you believed in vain. For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures? - 1 Corinthians 15.
[close]

composer

Quote from: eyeshaveit on August 29, 2016, 09:00:00 AM
||think||

1. BS!

2. Hearsay!

3. Your Cults propaganda!

||popcorn||

eyeshaveit

Quote from: composer on August 30, 2016, 01:38:12 AM
Quote from: eyeshaveit on August 29, 2016, 09:00:00 AM
||think||

1. BS!

2. Hearsay!

3. Your Cults propaganda!

||popcorn||

@composer - What number of and what names are needed to classify Christian Salvation? What answers do you propose or are you just sheeting all over everything?

eyeshaveit

What is the most important question asked of Jesus of Nazareth during his public ministry on earth?

Spoiler
?Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?? - Mark 10.
[close]

How did Jesus reply to the question?

Spoiler
Jesus went round-about; gently breaking it to the ?rich young ruler?, that one could not be saved by the law, if one had not kept the law. Jesus zeroed in on the first of the Ten Commandments (?You shall have no other gods before me.?); suggesting that the young ruler's real god was money, by telling him,

?You lack one thing: go, sell all that you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.? Disheartened by the saying, he [the young ruler] went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions? - Mark 10.
[close]

What can a Christian learn from the question and Jesus' answer?

Spoiler
As Jesus said, ?With man it is impossible, but not with God. For all things are possible with God.? - Mark 10.
[close]

composer

Quote from: eyeshaveit on August 30, 2016, 08:52:16 AM
What is the most important question asked of Jesus of Nazareth during his public ministry on earth?
||think||

Being a Historical MYTH, it could not be asked anything literally / in reality!

How did Jesus reply to the question?
||think||

Being a Historical MYTH it only replied whatever the authors of your Story book decided to write!

What can a Christian learn from the question and Jesus' answer?
||think||

There are NO genuine jebus' followers, just those that ' claim ' they are! (Proof e.g. - 1 John 3:6) Story book

||razz||

||whistling||

||popcorn||

eyeshaveit

What is the 'Paradox of Hedonism' that Christians are want to avoid?

Spoiler
The Paradox of Hedonism finds one is rarely satisfied with the pursuit of pleasure, as one is constantly swinging between boredom and frustration.

"The Paradox of Hedonism - The impulse towards pleasure can be self-defeating. We fail to attain pleasures if we deliberately seek them." - The Penguin Dictionary of Philosophy.

"Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ?What shall we eat?? or ?What shall we drink?? or ?What shall we wear?? ... But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you." - Matthew 6.

"You have put more joy in my heart than they have when their grain and wine abound." - Psalm 4.

"I am overflowing with joy." - 2 Corinthians 7.
[close]

eyeshaveit

What is a Christophany?

Spoiler
A Christophany is an Old Testament (pre-incarnate) or New Testament (post- ascension) appearance of Jesus Christ.
[close]

Possible Biblical Christophany examples include:

Spoiler
Genesis 18:1-8 ? Melchizedek, King of Salem and Priest of the Most High God.
Genesis 32:22-32 ? The man wrestling with Jacob.
Joshua 5:13-14 ? Commander of the Army of the Lord.
Daniel 3:25 ? Fourth man in the furnace.
Isaiah 6:1 & John 12:41 ? The Divine Presence.
Acts 9:1-5 ? Saul's conversion by Jesus.
[close]