Believers pissed me off
0 (0%)
Bad sex
0 (0%)
Something bad happened
1 (4.8%)
I read about other God's
1 (4.8%)
I followed a prophet (Dawkins, Stalin, Hitchens, Harris, etc, etc)
0 (0%)
Some logical arguments swayed me (these may have come from atheist authors of not)
3 (14.3%)
Other
1 (4.8%)
wtf, for airy et all
1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

meAgain

Quote from: Kiahanie on November 17, 2015, 09:10:39 PM

You will never find a statement from me at any time that supports that ridiculous notion.

This statement,
Quote from: Kiahanie on November 16, 2015, 05:48:42 PM
Since I live in the natural realm and there is no "supernatural" realm, then I don't need to be concerned about any god-conflicts with science or with me.
, supports my post. 

As I pointed out . . .  the quote from Chesterton explains why those who insist, "there is no supernatural realm" and that they, "don't need to be concerned . . . " are limiting themselves . . . such a worldview based on the assumption that, "there is no supernatural" prevents being open to the possibility.  There is no straw man just the inherent nature of your premature statement. Hence the retaliation to a personal attack  . . .

Kiahanie

Nice dodge, meAgain. I repeat that you will never find any statement I have ever made that supports the notion that "physical senses can reveal is all there is and all there could ever be." That does not follow from my statement on the "supernatural realm" unless you want to load that simple remark with your own considerable supernatural baggage.
"If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet ... maybe we could understand something." --Federico Fellini....."Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation" -Jellaludin Rumi,

meAgain

Quote from: Kiahanie on November 18, 2015, 06:35:48 PM

Nice dodge, meAgain. I repeat that you will never find any statement I have ever made that supports the notion that "physical senses can reveal is all there is and all there could ever be." That does not follow from my statement on the "supernatural realm" unless you want to load that simple remark with your own considerable supernatural baggage.

I?m not the one guilty of the dodge with your, ?shame on you, MeAgain? comment.  Exactly as I stated above, to make the declarative statement, ?there is no supernatural? and proclaiming that you need only to be concerned about the natural pretty much sounds like you have your mind made up and aren?t open to the possibility.  Hope I?m wrong.

Kiahanie

Let me clarify, then. I am sufficiently convinced there is no supernatural (as commonly understood) that I don't bother to look for evidence of it. If evidence jumped out of the woodwork I would of course pay attention to it, but my time is better occupied in the world I live in, than exploring imaginary constructs.

I do understand why some people believe in "the supernatural," but I think most of that global "supernatural" realm  can be accounted for by natural processes. That works for me. I see no reason for it to work for you, so I'm not going to badger you about it, twist your words or invent fantastical strawfolk.

Peace and Light be with you, meAgain.
"If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet ... maybe we could understand something." --Federico Fellini....."Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation" -Jellaludin Rumi,

meAgain

Quote from: Kiahanie on November 18, 2015, 11:21:06 PM
Let me clarify, then. I am sufficiently convinced there is no supernatural (as commonly understood) that I don't bother to look for evidence of it. If evidence jumped out of the woodwork I would of course pay attention to it, but my time is better occupied in the world I live in, than exploring imaginary constructs.

I do understand why some people believe in "the supernatural," but I think most of that global "supernatural" realm  can be accounted for by natural processes. That works for me. I see no reason for it to work for you, so I'm not going to badger you about it, twist your words or invent fantastical strawfolk.

Peace and Light be with you, meAgain.

Fair enough.  It is just that you quoted me (see below) and then followed up with your comments announcing there is no supernatural and you needn?t be concerned, which you have to admit is a bit ?badgering?, but I appreciate your clarification.  Peace to you as well. 

Quote from: Kiahanie on November 16, 2015, 05:48:42 PM
Quote from: meAgain on November 16, 2015, 04:19:01 PMGod is about the supernatural not the natural realm.  Therefore there is no conflict with God and science/biology/history/engineering.  There is no conflict with a possible Big Bang and God. 
Thank you. Since I live in the natural realm and there is no "supernatural" realm, then I don't need to be concerned about any god-conflicts with science or with me.

8livesleft

Quote from: meAgain on November 16, 2015, 04:19:01 PM
Quote from: 8livesleft on November 16, 2015, 02:37:25 PM
Quote from: rickymooston on March 21, 2015, 12:03:40 AM
||wink||
In my case, my parents didn't really enforce religion or practice it so, without the regular religious reinforcement, I slowly lost my "sense" for religion and the "god" concept.

I was also a very curious kid and I took to science, biology, history and engineering. I tend to favor factual cause and effect vs "just accepting" god origin.

For instance, I've never believed in a beginning of time or the universe. Something caused the big bang, maybe a big crunch and a big bang before that. A cycle. It's all physics.

God is about the supernatural not the natural realm.  Therefore there is no conflict with God and science/biology/history/engineering.  There is no conflict with a possible Big Bang and God.
Whatever floats your boat.

The way I see it, it's ALL in our heads anyway.

We all have different strategies to achieve peace of mind. Some prefer 100% science, some 100% mysticism/supernatural. Most are somewhere in the middle.

To me it doesn't matter where you are in that spectrum as long as you achieve your own sense of peace of mind without messing with anybody else's.

rickymooston

why not?
"Re: Why should any Black man have any respect for any cop?
Your question is racist. If the police behave badly then everyone should lose respect for those policemen.", Happy Evolute

Happy Evolute

An axiom is a proposition that defeats its opponents by the fact that they have to accept it and use it in the process of any attempt to deny it. - Ayn Rand

none

the candle can only be lit so many times.

none

Quote from: rickymooston on December 09, 2015, 12:57:39 AM

why not?
Theory

rickymooston

Quote from: Schrodingers Outlaw on December 09, 2015, 04:42:47 PM

why not?
Theory

what theory
Your question is racist. If the police behave badly then everyone should lose respect for those policemen.", Happy Evolute

Kiahanie

Quote from: Kiahanie on November 18, 2015, 06:35:48 PMNice dodge, meAgain. I repeat that you will never find any statement I have ever made that supports the notion that "physical senses can reveal is all there is and all there could ever be." That does not follow from my statement on the "supernatural realm" unless you want to load that simple remark with your own considerable supernatural baggage.
why not?
"Why not" what? Why haven't I made such a statement? Why such a conclusion does not follow from what I did say about the "supernatural realm"? Why not load a person's remarks with one's own baggage? Lot's to talk about. Which do you want?

(Nice to see you again, Moose.)

Nam

Jesus was my invisible friend (on a bicycle) then one day he wasn't there anymore; probably after I read the Bible.

-Nam
I'm on the road less traveled...

Creationism is the Hollywood version of Evolution - Nam

rickymooston

Quote from: Kiahanie on January 01, 2016, 08:26:22 PM
"Why not" what? Why haven't I made such a statement? Why such a conclusion does not follow from what I did say about the "supernatural realm"? Why not load a person's remarks with one's own baggage? Lot's to talk about. Which do you want?

(Nice to see you again, Moose.)

You made the claim that you didnt claim our senses can
detect all that is.

Why didnt you claim this, under the assumptions that our senses may see much indirectly? Or assert that its an open
question?

Yep, dropping by

Kiahanie

Why not claim our senses can know everything that is?

I doubt our senses are that comprehensive. At the extreme physical end, even with technological assistance we can't sense the presence (or absence) of "dark energy" and "dark matter." We just infer their existence from things that our technologically-aided senses can perceive. But our unaided senses cannot even perceive enough of "what is" to make those inferences. At the other end of the scale, our unaided senses do not perceive atoms or the constituents of atoms. Our senses evolved at a scale almost exactly half way between the unimaginably minuscule and the cosmically huge.

Even at our own scale of existence, we do not perceive the aroma-world of the canines, nor the aural-world of cetaceans and bats. Most of the electromagnetic spectrum is invisible to us. Our five senses do not perceive the processes that nurture and sustain life on this planet, although we can see some of the results of those processes.

We evolved in a certain ecological niche that favored some perceptive abilities over others. I see no reason or evidence that evolution would have provided sensory abilities beyond what was needed for species survival. I also see no reason why the universe should be constrained by what our particular version of the great apes can perceive.

(Also just dropping by.)

RegalSin

Well I am not going to answer that question but a what if of that statement.

Personally there are times in my life I realize that people are cruel, but then I remember the good things about life as well.

I had religious household and I will admit I hated certain kinds of religious attributes. The problem with American religion itself is when you realize the majority of worshipers are not Lutherans but supremacist roman loving war mongers. There is no excuse to use war in the bible when former military have even had there legs run over by a train track to stop weapons from being delivered. So you have morons who pretend this is the same war as the 100 years war. They pretend they are in Rome. It is like a game of pretend in my opinion when it comes to anything Roman.

Then there is division of ways of worshiping. The Church should be equal to the community, like in South Park. Where you know or kinda remember everyone from the area you live in. Instead we have barack Church Waft Church, Yello Church, and so many kinds.

To make things worst is that you have division of god in general. How many people on this forum have been to mass inside of a Jewish or Islamic religious center?????
You should be able to walk inside of any kind of religious place no matter what attributes you have.

Then there are the Religious beliefs of the east.

I have not lost god yet, and at all. I believe in god. Otherwise I would be some kind of maniac that resembles my display name. I have all kinds of emotions in my heart but I keep god beside me. You a man can be a man. But then you ask yourself how better of a man could you be then any angel/prophet/or anybody that speaks the word.

In my own opinion the image of god has been damaged. I do not want to be some kind of maniac or some badguy from batman. So I keep faith with me.

I think people over all ( in western states where the Catholic image is more stronger ) lose faith in god after learning about the Roman empire. I learned about this in college. No it was not psychology or theater. No I did not receive the "kiss" of another man or bite down on some sorta apple like in "Oz" and started to see the truth.

So I say the more stronger you know the book, or books the more chance you have to lose god. That is it. The reason why people do not lose faith in god is because they have money or sex. So they continue to praise god in general.

Another issue is that 4% homosexual population, or the paganist, satanist, or other religious attributes who instead have any positive logic about god will instead push away people by almost any other means.

I feel that women ( the fact we can't just hit or threaten women as with men v. men ) as it comes to sex. The problem with women abusing the law or women in general who are educated dis-promotes god as well.

In fact I love fiction consisting of vidoegames, animations, and comic books. With the videogame/animation community. there are people who are against god as well. So that is another community divided.  Again this could be theater, the news on tv or papers.  It could even be novels, or stuff you see on the internet.

In my opinion people will lose god when associated with money, sex, and anything else of power. The moment you remind people of god they start to get afraid, mouths shuts, heads turn. It is like your filled with hate.
In fact for my line of work I feel I am able to use my name because it makes people think things of god.

In my opinion people are scared and afraid of god. They do not know to show it or how to display the love of it. Then people are actually working or making money there opinion of god is muted or a complete blank slate.

none

Quote from: RegalSin on February 23, 2016, 03:05:53 PM
Well I am not going to answer that question but a what if of that statement.

Personally there are times in my life I realize that people are cruel, but then I remember the good things about life as well.

I had religious household and I will admit I hated certain kinds of religious attributes. The problem with American religion itself is when you realize the majority of worshipers are not Lutherans but supremacist roman loving war mongers. There is no excuse to use war in the bible when former military have even had there legs run over by a train track to stop weapons from being delivered. So you have morons who pretend this is the same war as the 100 years war. They pretend they are in Rome. It is like a game of pretend in my opinion when it comes to anything Roman.

Then there is division of ways of worshiping. The Church should be equal to the community, like in South Park. Where you know or kinda remember everyone from the area you live in. Instead we have barack Church Waft Church, Yello Church, and so many kinds.

To make things worst is that you have division of god in general. How many people on this forum have been to mass inside of a Jewish or Islamic religious center?????
You should be able to walk inside of any kind of religious place no matter what attributes you have.

Then there are the Religious beliefs of the east.

I have not lost god yet, and at all. I believe in god. Otherwise I would be some kind of maniac that resembles my display name. I have all kinds of emotions in my heart but I keep god beside me. You a man can be a man. But then you ask yourself how better of a man could you be then any angel/prophet/or anybody that speaks the word.

In my own opinion the image of god has been damaged. I do not want to be some kind of maniac or some badguy from batman. So I keep faith with me.

I think people over all ( in western states where the Catholic image is more stronger ) lose faith in god after learning about the Roman empire. I learned about this in college. No it was not psychology or theater. No I did not receive the "kiss" of another man or bite down on some sorta apple like in "Oz" and started to see the truth.

So I say the more stronger you know the book, or books the more chance you have to lose god. That is it. The reason why people do not lose faith in god is because they have money or sex. So they continue to praise god in general.

Another issue is that 4% homosexual population, or the paganist, satanist, or other religious attributes who instead have any positive logic about god will instead push away people by almost any other means.

I feel that women ( the fact we can't just hit or threaten women as with men v. men ) as it comes to sex. The problem with women abusing the law or women in general who are educated dis-promotes god as well.

In fact I love fiction consisting of vidoegames, animations, and comic books. With the videogame/animation community. there are people who are against god as well. So that is another community divided.  Again this could be theater, the news on tv or papers.  It could even be novels, or stuff you see on the internet.

In my opinion people will lose god when associated with money, sex, and anything else of power. The moment you remind people of god they start to get afraid, mouths shuts, heads turn. It is like your filled with hate.
In fact for my line of work I feel I am able to use my name because it makes people think things of god.

In my opinion people are scared and afraid of god. They do not know to show it or how to display the love of it. Then people are actually working or making money there opinion of god is muted or a complete blank slate.
this is the non-theism area
produce god maybe in the religion area, no fear in that request