News:

New members, please say hello to the forum in the Introductions board!

Main Menu

Why did you lose God?

Started by rickymooston, March 21, 2015, 12:03:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Why did you lose God?

Never really believed
3 (14.3%)
Gradually realized it was non-sense
11 (52.4%)
Believers pissed me off
0 (0%)
Bad sex
0 (0%)
Something bad happened
1 (4.8%)
I read about other God's
1 (4.8%)
I followed a prophet (Dawkins, Stalin, Hitchens, Harris, etc, etc)
0 (0%)
Some logical arguments swayed me (these may have come from atheist authors of not)
3 (14.3%)
Other
1 (4.8%)
wtf, for airy et all
1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

rickymooston

"Re: Why should any Black man have any respect for any cop?
Your question is racist. If the police behave badly then everyone should lose respect for those policemen.", Happy Evolute

Kiahanie

Can't lose what I didn't have.
"If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet ... maybe we could understand something." --Federico Fellini....."Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation" -Jellaludin Rumi,

Emily

Back before my husband and I were dating I tried to convert him and tried to get him to join my church (UPCI). It kind of backfired because he caused me to stop believing. Kind of an interesting story, really.

ChristianDamien

Quote from: Kiahanie on March 21, 2015, 12:12:27 AM
Can't lose what I didn't have.

You can lose the faith you once had in God though.

Airyaman

Please take a moment to remember the victims of the terrorist attacks in Bowling Green, Atlanta, and Sweden.

rickymooston

Quote from: Airyaman on March 21, 2015, 01:35:56 AM
wtf

Well, you were apparently, based on what I could gather from your posts,
a pretty fundamentalist Christian and now you are a soul searching agnostic atheist.

Something happened, mostly clearly.

What caused you to smell the coffee and realize it was all made up?
Your question is racist. If the police behave badly then everyone should lose respect for those policemen.", Happy Evolute

Augusto

I took the first option but, really, all the options apply to my case in many ways. Every single one of them.

rickymooston

Quote from: Augusto on July 12, 2015, 04:34:51 AM
I took the first option but, really, all the options apply to my case in many ways. Every single one of them.

I see, fair enough!!!

meAgain

There was a time in my life when I was not practicing my faith.  None of your above list has the reasons why I believe I had lost God at that point in my life.  These reasons however explain . . .

Improper teaching/example of the faith.  Was never properly taught/showed the faith in the first place so naturally found much of it goofy. 

I also didn?t see very many actually living their faith, and that had an affect on me as well in questioning whether there was actually something to it or if it was worth pursuing. 

I also was living a life contrary to what the faith teaches and needed to feel ok with my choices/decisions.  If I could maintain that my religion was bunk, it sat better with my conscience. 

I stopped talking to Him.  He was still there, but I didn?t make the time for Him and consequently lost a friendship.  Friendship has to be reciprocal.   

meAgain

^
QuoteAll comment on this board must assume the axiom "no gods exist".

At the time of my unbelief, I, like many others did make this assumption, ?no gods exist?.

I wanted to point out the limited choices available when we make certain assumptions.  It never really gives one the full picture.  Keep that in mind.   

rickymooston

Quote from: meAgain on July 12, 2015, 04:20:25 PM
At the time of my unbelief, I, like many others did make this assumption, ?no gods exist?.

Noted. ||666||

I wanted to point out the limited choices available when we make certain assumptions.  It never really gives one the full picture.  Keep that in mind.

The restriction on this board to assuming "God exists", is similar to that in the "theology" board. That is, in that
area, you make the assumption
, however, this doesn't mean you make that assumption in threads intended to argue
your point of view or that your conclusions started with said assumption.

The point is, sometimes people want to go with the consequences of a conclusion rather than just
arguing the conclusion everywhere.

Dexter

I voted for Airy ate all because I think that is funny.
I begin today by acknowledging the Ngarluma people, Traditional Custodians of the land on which I work and live, and pay my respects to their Elders past and present. I extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.

Boots

I was a devout RC up through the age of 19-ish.  did youth Cursillo, contemplated priesthood, the works.  Then I started studying history.  :-)
Religion=institutionalized superstition

Apologetics=the art of making s**t up to make other made-up s**t sound more plausible

"To not believe in god is to know that it falls to us to make the world a better place."

~Sam Harris

urs

That's a good question, Ricky, if there is, indeed, a god. I'd rather believe there wasn't one than believe that in all my years of sincere searching, he remained hidden from me. That seems neither fair nor just, and I would imagine a personal God to be both.

Augusto

If there were a God... I would fear and hate him at the same time. Life is too hard for many people, not excluding me and my loved ones.

I believe in Spiderman's uncle Ben: "With great power comes great responsibility".

Kiahanie

Quote from: ChristianDamien on March 21, 2015, 12:34:56 AM
Quote from: Kiahanie on March 21, 2015, 12:12:27 AMCan't lose what I didn't have.
You can lose the faith you once had in God though.
Once again, can't lose what I didn't have.
"If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet ... maybe we could understand something." --Federico Fellini....."Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation" -Jellaludin Rumi,

Teaspoon Shallow

Quote from: meAgain on July 12, 2015, 04:20:25 PM

Ahhh so you were never a True Atheist?.   ||grin||
"If I could stop a person from raping a child, I would.    That's the difference between me and your God." Tracie Harris

Isotoners n Bruno Maglis

I'm a contrarian and a rationalist. Started out with arguments for the sake of arguing, and ended up being convinced by my own skepticism.
Designer Gloves and Shoes

Happy Evolute

An axiom is a proposition that defeats its opponents by the fact that they have to accept it and use it in the process of any attempt to deny it. - Ayn Rand

Isotoners n Bruno Maglis

Designer Gloves and Shoes

8livesleft

Quote from: rickymooston on March 21, 2015, 12:03:40 AM
||wink||
In my case, my parents didn't really enforce religion or practice it so, without the regular religious reinforcement, I slowly lost my "sense" for religion and the "god" concept.

I was also a very curious kid and I took to science, biology, history and engineering. I tend to favor factual cause and effect vs "just accepting" god origin.

For instance, I've never believed in a beginning of time or the universe. Something caused the big bang, maybe a big crunch and a big bang before that. A cycle. It's all physics.

Airyaman

Why did I lose God? His intangibility, invisibility and silence made him impossible to keep track of ||wink||.
Please take a moment to remember the victims of the terrorist attacks in Bowling Green, Atlanta, and Sweden.

meAgain

Quote from: Boots on July 13, 2015, 04:01:11 PM
I was a devout RC up through the age of 19-ish.  did youth Cursillo, contemplated priesthood, the works.  Then I started studying history.  :-)

Interesting . . . history is what helped me find my way back to the Catholic Church.

meAgain

Quote from: 8livesleft on November 16, 2015, 02:37:25 PM
Quote from: rickymooston on March 21, 2015, 12:03:40 AM
||wink||
In my case, my parents didn't really enforce religion or practice it so, without the regular religious reinforcement, I slowly lost my "sense" for religion and the "god" concept.

I was also a very curious kid and I took to science, biology, history and engineering. I tend to favor factual cause and effect vs "just accepting" god origin.

For instance, I've never believed in a beginning of time or the universe. Something caused the big bang, maybe a big crunch and a big bang before that. A cycle. It's all physics.

God is about the supernatural not the natural realm.  Therefore there is no conflict with God and science/biology/history/engineering.  There is no conflict with a possible Big Bang and God. 

Kiahanie

Quote from: meAgain on November 16, 2015, 04:19:01 PMGod is about the supernatural not the natural realm.  Therefore there is no conflict with God and science/biology/history/engineering.  There is no conflict with a possible Big Bang and God. 
Thank you. Since I live in the natural realm and there is no "supernatural" realm, then I don't need to be concerned about any god-conflicts with science or with me.

Happy Evolute

By "supernatural", meAgain means made up crap, so no, you can make up any crap you like. No conflict.
An axiom is a proposition that defeats its opponents by the fact that they have to accept it and use it in the process of any attempt to deny it. - Ayn Rand

meAgain

Quote from: Kiahanie on November 16, 2015, 05:48:42 PM
Quote from: meAgain on November 16, 2015, 04:19:01 PMGod is about the supernatural not the natural realm.  Therefore there is no conflict with God and science/biology/history/engineering.  There is no conflict with a possible Big Bang and God. 
Thank you. Since I live in the natural realm and there is no "supernatural" realm, then I don't need to be concerned about any god-conflicts with science or with me.

No you don't.  Suit yourself.  Just slightly narrow minded to assume all your physical senses can reveal is all there is and all there could ever be. 

There is a very special sense in which materialism has more restrictions than spiritualism. Mr. McCabe thinks me a slave because I am not allowed to believe in determinism. I think Mr. McCabe a slave because he is not allowed to believe in fairies. But if we examine the two vetoes we shall see that his is really much more of a pure veto than mine. The Christian is quite free to believe that there is a considerable amount of settled order and inevitable development in the universe. But the materialist is not allowed to admit into his spotless machine the slightest speck of spiritualism or miracle. Poor Mr. McCabe is not allowed to retain even the tiniest imp, though it might be hiding in a pimpernel. -G. K. Chesterton

meAgain

Quote from: Happy Evolute on November 16, 2015, 06:38:22 PM
By "supernatural", meAgain means made up crap, so no, you can make up any crap you like. No conflict.

If materialism is true, it seems to me that we cannot know that it is true. If my opinions are the result of the chemical processes going on in my brain, they are determined by the laws of chemistry, not those of logic. ? J.B.S. Haldan

?The quest for absolute certainty is an immature, if not infantile, trait of thinking.? ? Herbert Feigl

?Research; the curiosity to find the unknown to make it known.? ? Lailah Gifty Akita

?People, as curious primates, dote on concrete objects that can be seen and fondled. God dwells among the details, not in the realm of pure generality. We must tackle and grasp the larger, encompassing themes of our universe, but we make our best approach through small curiosities that rivet our attention - all those pretty pebbles on the shoreline of knowledge. For the ocean of truth washes over the pebbles with every wave, and they rattle and clink with the most wondrous din.? ? Stephen Jay Gould

Kiahanie

Quote from: meAgain on November 17, 2015, 12:46:10 PM
Quote from: Kiahanie on November 16, 2015, 05:48:42 PM
No you don't.  Suit yourself.  Just slightly narrow minded to assume all your physical senses can reveal is all there is and all there could ever be. 
[. . . .]
^^^ ||strawman||
You will never find a statement from me at any time that supports that ridiculous notion. You should be embarrassed to be building such a flimsy straw man based on nothing but your own fantasy about someone you don't know.

Shame on you. Have you no shame, meAgain? at long last, have you no shame?

Happy Evolute

Quote from: Kiahanie on November 17, 2015, 09:10:39 PM
Shame on you. Have you no shame, meAgain? at long last, have you no shame?

Nobody who supports the RC church could possibly have any shame. What a stupid question!