News:

IGI has a myspace page.  Please add us if you're a myspace fiend!

Main Menu

Sports section

Started by Meat, January 21, 2015, 12:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meat

How hard would it be to add a sports section to this forum? A few topics are largely ignored so maybe even a swap. Thanks. Meat.  ||grin||
"Brilliant Meat!" +1 (composer)
"Amen Meat." (Former Believer)
"Like Meat said." (Francis)
"Not brilliant, Meat!" — Villanelle
"Damned right Meat." -Kusa
 "You call this comment censorship Meatless?" (Boobs)

Jay

I am me, if you dont like it, tough luck!

none

Already have an entertainment section
the candle can only be lit so many times.

Jay

Quote from: none on January 21, 2015, 03:35:19 PM

And that is most likely the number 1 reason to not make a sports section.   

Steveox

I agree it get a vote from me

We are the silent majority

eyeshaveit

Don't deflate our hopes, give Sports a chance; and if it works out, the next logical step would be a Pet Section. Raising Goats, would make a fine first topic. Let's hear it for Pigskins and Goats.  ||wink||
Jesus Christ died so you could have access to God.

Jay

Quote from: eyeshaveit on January 21, 2015, 07:56:29 PM
Don't deflate our hopes, give Sports a chance; and if it works out, the next logical step would be a Pet Section. Raising Goats, would make a fine first topic. Let's hear it for Pigskins and Goats.  ||wink||

Deflated like a patriots football.

Hahaha

Meat

Quote from: none on January 21, 2015, 03:35:19 PM
I think a dedicated sports section would be a good addition. It shouldn't be buried amongst music videos in my opinion. SteveO is in. What more could you ask for? :D

Mooby the Golden Sock

Quote from: Meat on January 21, 2015, 12:14:08 PMHow hard would it be to add a sports section to this forum?
*CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK*
"Sports"
*CLICK*
"Talk about sports here, dummy."
*CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK*
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.--BÖC

TrisTennant

Could you make it a child board of the entertainment section?
But everything changed when the Calgary Flames attacked.

Steveox

I think i would fit right below science section. Cause Sports is part of the media.   

Meat

Quote from: Mooby the Golden Sock on January 22, 2015, 06:52:38 AM
Quote from: Meat on January 21, 2015, 12:14:08 PMHow hard would it be to add a sports section to this forum?
*CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK*
"Sports"
*CLICK*
*CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK*
Can you give it a whirl?

Steveox

Quote from: Meat on January 23, 2015, 11:59:48 PM
Quote from: Mooby the Golden Sock on January 22, 2015, 06:52:38 AM
*CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK*
"Sports"
*CLICK*
*CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK*
Can you give it a whirl?

Faster!!! Faster!!! on the double soldier!

Mooby the Golden Sock

Quote from: Meat on January 23, 2015, 11:59:48 PMCan you give it a whirl?
As eyeshaveit alluded, we can make a forum for every topic under the sun, but that adds to the complexity of our front page.  The question isn't so much, "Can we?" as it is, "Should we?"

What function would a sports forum do that is not adequately covered by the other forums?
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.--BÖC

Mr. Blackwell

We have,

Entertainment

Anything you like

Other.

You can start a thread about sports in any one of those three but 'Anything You Like' and 'Other' seems kind of redundant. I don't see why we need two boards dedicated to randomness. Why not make one of those dedicated to sports?

Unrestricted free speech, paradoxically, results in less speech, not more. - Yoel Roth

Meat

^Thanks Mr. B. I thought it was a reasonable request. :D

Jay

Quote from: Mr. Blackwell on January 25, 2015, 12:51:16 AM
We have,

Entertainment

Anything you like

Other.

You can start a thread about sports in any one of those three but 'Anything You Like' and 'Other' seems kind of redundant. I don't see why we need two boards dedicated to randomness. Why not make one of those dedicated to sports?

Of course, sports stuff can be put in any of the three right now with no changes.

And I wouldnt say 'anything you like' is random.  There are many things that I may not like but want to start a thread on.

Like when I started a thread titled 'Ebola in the USA' I wouldnt put that in 'Anything you like'....since I dont like Ebola.

For me.  the 'anything you like' category could go, but others do seem to use that area for posting things they like.

Mr. Blackwell

Quote from: Jay on January 25, 2015, 01:19:54 AM
Quote from: Mr. Blackwell on January 25, 2015, 12:51:16 AM
We have,

Entertainment

Anything you like

Other.

Of course, sports stuff can be put in any of the three right now with no changes.

And I wouldnt say 'anything you like' is random.  There are many things that I may not like but want to start a thread on.

Like when I started a thread titled 'Ebola in the USA' I wouldnt put that in 'Anything you like'....since I dont like Ebola.

For me.  the 'anything you like' category could go, but others do seem to use that area for posting things they like.

Right, but you understand what I am saying though don't you? What logical reason is there to have two forums dedicated to nothing in particular?

Unrestricted free speech, paradoxically, results in less speech, not more. - Yoel Roth

Jay

yeah well, I know I aint moving all the threads out of one of those sections to make a sports section.  no way, no sir.

TrisTennant

That's why I suggested make it a child board of Entertainment.

Mr. Blackwell

Quote from: Jay on January 25, 2015, 02:21:02 AM
yeah well, I know I aint moving all the threads out of one of those sections to make a sports section.  no way, no sir.

||cheesy||

Why not? You said it ain't hard! Mooby even said it just takes a few *CLICKS* and then it's just "wham bam, thank you ma'am"!

Hell, if it's just tedious then give me access for a couple of days and tell me how it's done and I'll be happy to do it.

Jay

Quote from: Mr. Blackwell on January 25, 2015, 02:30:22 AM
Quote from: Jay on January 25, 2015, 02:21:02 AM

||cheesy||

Why not? You said it ain't hard! Mooby even said it just takes a few *CLICKS* and then it's just "wham bam, thank you ma'am"!

Hell, if it's just tedious then give me access for a couple of days and tell me how it's done and I'll be happy to do it.

The creation of a new board isnt hard nor time consuming.

But moving pages of threads from one board to somewhere else is very time consuming.

Mr. Blackwell

Which is why I volunteered to do it. It could be easy to just create a child board like Tris suggested. It can be done.

The 'Anything you Like" and 'Other' forums overlap each each other. I mean, we have a dedicated forum for Evolution when it could just as easily not exist because the Science forum would cover that topic. Why does 'Sexuality' have it's own forum? People can talk about sexuality from any and all of the other forum topics.

We have here a situation where there are two redundant forums. IGI members talk about sports all the time. Other than the 'work' involved in changing things a little bit...what's the problem? I mean, I know you don't want to take the time to move the threads around but you are not the only one capable of doing it are you?

TrisTennant

I think sexuality needs to stay it's own board. It's such a diverse topic that the threads don't need to be buried under other threads and besides that, if anybody is uncomfortable discussing it, they can avoid that section entirely and be fine. Like with religion and politics.

Mr. Blackwell

Quote from: TrisTennant on January 25, 2015, 04:44:47 AM
I think sexuality needs to stay it's own board. It's such a diverse topic that the threads don't need to be buried under other threads and besides that, if anybody is uncomfortable discussing it, they can avoid that section entirely and be fine. Like with religion and politics.

Well yeah, there is that. What I was thinking was that any topic can be discussed from any perspective...so why have designated forums at all?  For example, you could talk about sports in the Religion section....think Tim Tebow. Although anyone can talk about sports in any number of forums, it would be nice to have a dedicated forum specifically for the topic of sports. I am not what you would call a traditional sports fan but I am enthusiastic about darts. Major dart tournaments are covered by ESPN.

If someone wants to read or discuss science, they go to the Science forum. Religion, the Religion forum. Scriptures specifically...yup got you covered. Sexuality...got a forum for that. But sports? If you want to read or talk about sports you gotta go digging for it in several different forums.

Meanwhile, we have three different forums to talk about things other than Science, Evolution, Religion, Scripture, Non-theism, Philosophy or Sexuality.

Why does IGI under represent members who love to talk about sports? 

If I want to discuss the Super Bowl....Do I look in Entertainment? Other? Anything You Like to see if someone else has already started a thread on it? If I want to start my own thread....which one of those three should I post it under?

none

for those who can't read...

Entertainment

Music, movies, TV, videos, sport, hobbies, holidays and horse riding.

Mr. Blackwell

Quote from: none on January 25, 2015, 05:39:10 AM

Entertainment

Right, but go look in the Entertainment forum and tell me how easy it is to find a thread about sports. If I want to read about upcoming elections or the most recent State of the Union address, I don't go to the Entertainment thread to see what people are saying about what they saw on their TV. I go to the Politics section.

Edit

I found two threads out of thirty on the first page. Neither of which I am interested in.

none

there is a wheel on mice nowadays, if not the down arrow key should work for most hominids.
if not there is always this:
http://isgodimaginary.com/forum/index.php?action=search;advanced

TrisTennant

Quote from: Mr. Blackwell on January 25, 2015, 05:51:22 AM
Quote from: none on January 25, 2015, 05:39:10 AM

Entertainment

Right, but go look in the Entertainment forum and tell me how easy it is to find a thread about sports. If I want to read about upcoming elections or the most recent State of the Union address, I don't go to the Entertainment thread to see what people are saying about what they saw on their TV. I go to the Politics section.

Edit

I found two threads out of thirty on the first page. Neither of which I am interested in.

I forgot I had already started a thread about the All-Star game.

Emily

Quote from: TrisTennant on January 25, 2015, 06:49:13 AM
I forgot I had already started a thread about the All-Star game.

That's where you put it!!!!

Sorry, Tish. I got your mention but went to bed before I was able to reply and I looked almost everywhere but in the Entertainment section.