Recent E1a ruling concerning the word 'Lie'

Started by Moderator 07, October 26, 2013, 08:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moderator 07

Hi all, it is no longer permissible to describe another member's post as a lie.

If you make a statement like "Your post is a lie", it will be found guilty of breaching etiquette E1a - No insults.

The reason for this interpretation is because of the obvious inference that exists between 'lie' and 'liar', to whit: only a liar can tell a lie.

To describe a member's post (or part thereof) as a lie is describing that member as a liar.

This precedent is not actually a new development, it has been previously discussed over the years but we have not always adhered to it before now. Some previous discussion of it here -> http://isgodimaginary.com/forum/index.php/topic,21153.60.html

Airyaman

Seriously...even if the post can be proven to be false? We are getting a bit too PC now, imho.
Please take a moment to remember the victims of the terrorist attacks in Bowling Green, Atlanta, and Sweden.

Assyriankey

Quote from: Airyaman on October 26, 2013, 11:46:36 AM
Seriously...even if the post can be proven to be false? We are getting a bit too PC now, imho.

This is a ruling made on purely logical grounds.  To allow the claim of 'Lie!' would need some sort of exception to our E1a, like we do with the 'humour' clause in the FAQ.

The truth or falseness of a post has nothing to do with this.  A lie is something communicated with the intent to deceive.  A lie is always a falsehood but not vice versa (you can be wrong about something without lying).
Ignoring composer and wilson is key to understanding the ontological unity of the material world.

kevin

may you bathe i the blood of a thousand sheep

Mooby the Golden Sock

This is actually more a clarification than anything else as we've been more or less enforcing it based off the 2008 post.
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.--BÖC

Assyriankey

That 2008 explanation seemed to allow for the "Your post is a lie."
Ignoring composer and wilson is key to understanding the ontological unity of the material world.

nateswift

Also the clarification is not true.  One may in all honesty repeat a claim that is a lie.  For instance, the Catholic Church for several centuries has been promoting the claim that Jesus said that He would build his church on Peter, "the rock." and using the "big lie" technique to do it.  Saying that the claim often made by such deluded Catholics is a lie is not impugning their character, but that of the church that uses the technique.
The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do-  Kerouac

Gnu Ordure

Please clarify: a few days ago I reported someone for saying this to me:

QuoteI also understand that your analogy is a bold faced lie. Or, as we said when I was growing up, a BIG FAT LIE. And a person who lies when speaking of serious matters is a perjurer. Perjury is sometimes consider a felony.

The complaint was upheld, and the poster edited his post so that it reads:
Quote from: QuestionMark on October 18, 2013, 03:16:57 PM
I also understand that your analogy is a bold faced lie. Or, as we said when I was growing up, a BIG FAT LIE. There are words for people who say what is not true in serious matters. Sometimes it is a felony.

In my report, I specifically mentioned both the word 'lie' and the word 'perjurer'. And as you can see, the Mods' decision was that the latter was a violation, but not the former.

In the light of this thread, is that decision still correct?

Assyriankey

Hi Gnu, I've reported that post again, that's the best way to review that report.

Inertialmass

Well I'll be jiggered.  Here I thought calling someone's post a lie (while misspelling the colloquialism) was the royal road to Moderator status promotion!!!

Quote from: Jay on June 21, 2013, 02:58:13 PM
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttt!!!!

...At a minimum, Jawood's statement would be grossly deceptive and misleading.  At its worst, it is a bold faced lie...
God and religion are not conveyances of Truth or Comfort.  They function as instruments of earthly social control.

Assyriankey

||runaway||

There are countless examples of members saying things like that.  I certainly have done so in the past.

Maggie the Opinionated

Quote from: nateswift on October 26, 2013, 01:50:38 PM
Also the clarification is not true.  One may in all honesty repeat a claim that is a lie.  For instance, the Catholic Church for several centuries has been promoting the claim that Jesus said that He would build his church on Peter, "the rock." and using the "big lie" technique to do it.  Saying that the claim often made by such deluded Catholics is a lie is not impugning their character, but that of the church that uses the technique.

You just can't help yourself, can you?

Gnu Ordure

Quote from: Inertialmass on October 26, 2013, 02:40:47 PM
Well I'll be jiggered.  Here I thought calling someone's post a lie (while misspelling the colloquialism) was the royal road to Moderator status promotion!!!

Quote from: Jay on June 21, 2013, 02:58:13 PM
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttt!!!!

...At a minimum, Jawood's statement would be grossly deceptive and misleading.  At its worst, it is a bold faced lie...

My understanding was that:

1. As Assy just said, that 2008 explanation seemed to allow for the "Your post is a lie."
2. Similarly, it was permissible to say "you are lying", on the grounds that a single lie does not make someone a liar.

(By the way Assy, is this issue the reason why MrB started the thread, if you once... ?)

Quote from: Assyriankey on October 26, 2013, 02:23:24 PM
Hi Gnu, I've reported that post again, that's the best way to review that report.
As you wish. Let us know what you decide...

Captain Luke

I don't understand why people feel the need to guess at a poster's intent. People get things wrong all the time, without doing it intentionally. Tell people if you think they're wrong, by all means, but when you tell them that they are trying to intentionally deceive, you are calling them a liar. It's not necessary.

Airyaman

Please take a moment to remember the victims of the terrorist attacks in Bowling Green, Atlanta, and Sweden.

nateswift

Quote from: Maggie the Opinionated on October 26, 2013, 03:22:44 PM

You just can't help yourself, can you?
It's a perfect example and it was on my mind because on another site yet another deluded Catholic is repeating the big lie.
The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do-  Kerouac

meAgain

But saying that making that claim is a lie is a lie.  Jesus did say He will build His church on Peter.  But I think you have shown a perfect example of why this rule might be necessary.  Anyone can claim something is a lie, even if saying it is a lie is what is the lie. 

BTW, I?m not the one who smited you for your comments.  I am genuinely interested in all of your posts, even the ones I disagree with.  And I especially love it when you talk about anything Catholic ? shows you care  ||smiley||.  So +1 to counter whoever smited you. 

Maggie the Opinionated

I smited him as I always smite his bilious emissions. That is an absolute certainty at all times. I will not put up with someone who deliberately sows dissension and ill-will out of one side of his mouth while prattling on about living in love--the only thing Christ requires out the other. 

Shawna

Quote from: Maggie the Opinionated on October 26, 2013, 05:23:55 PM
I smited him as I always smite his bilious emissions. That is an absolute certainty at all times. I will not put up with someone who deliberately sows dissension and ill-will.

You certainly can't be allowed to have a monopoly on that....
"I think, indeed, that the goodness of God, through His Christ, may recall all His creatures to one end."
--Origen

Kiahanie

Most definitions of "lie" involve the intention to deceive, knowingly telling an untruth. Examples:
Verb:
Quoteto say or write something that is not true in order to deceive someone. --http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/lie_2
Noun:
Quotesomething you say that you know is not true ----http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/lie_2
These definitions require knowledge of intent to deceive. It is possible to unknowingly speak an untruth, having no intent to deceive, with the intent to convey what one may consider important and valid information (howevever mistaken it may be).

Often in person-to-person contact there are "tells" that reveal a lie, but keyboards are not very expressive, and mind-reading over the internet is notoriously unreliable. The most honest thing we can say about a statement we believe to be untrue is "That is not true." To pretend access to the mind of another is high pretension indeed. The clarification is a welcome reminder of our limits as human beings, and of the nominal respect we owe each other as members of a community.
"If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet ... maybe we could understand something." --Federico Fellini....."Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation" -Jellaludin Rumi,

Inertialmass

Quote from: Gnu Ordure on October 26, 2013, 03:26:20 PM
...My understanding was that:

1. As Assy just said, that 2008 explanation seemed to allow for the "Your post is a lie."
2. Similarly, it was permissible to say "you are lying", on the grounds that a single lie does not make someone a liar...

I don't really see any wiggle room in the older ruling.

You are lying = Your post is a lie.

http://isgodimaginary.com/forum/index.php/topic,21153.0.html
Quote from: Assyriankey on December 20, 2008, 06:17:11 AM
Hi all, during the last month or so there have been several instances where one member says that another member is lying.

After some debate amongst the moderators and staff of this forum we have decided that the statement "You are lying." (and similar derivatives) is 100% equivalent with calling that member a liar and this means that saying that a member is lying breaks our rule #6 - No insults.

Rephrased:  do not describe another member as lying or you will be moderated for breaking our rule #6.
God and religion are not conveyances of Truth or Comfort.  They function as instruments of earthly social control.

Gnu Ordure

^^^

To be honest I don't really care what the Rule is, I just want it to be clear.

nateswift

I have no objections to restating the conditions since there are other ways to say that a statement within a post is a lie, but I think it should be clear that such a statement is not necessarily a reflection of dishonesty, but of ignorance on the part of the poster.

kevin

folks, this is real easy.

a lie is a false statement knowingly presented as truth.

a false statement of any other kind is just false, but not a lie.
may you bathe i the blood of a thousand sheep

nateswift

Quote from: kevin on October 26, 2013, 07:29:57 PM
folks, this is real easy.

a lie is a false statement knowingly presented as truth.

a false statement of any other kind is just false, but not a lie.
True enough, but a person may unknowingly parrot what someone else deliberately lied about and the statement itself is a lie.

Airyaman

So if we give evidence that shows something is false, and the other person still attests to the truthfulness of that thing, what is it then?

Kiahanie

An argument. Or debate. Or discussion. Depends.
"If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet ... maybe we could understand something." --Federico Fellini....."Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation" -Jellaludin Rumi,

Airyaman

So if I, channeling my inner QM, claim that the holocaust did not happen and I sincerely believe that, then it is not a lie, just false?

nateswift

It may or may not be depending on whether you still believe it in spite of all evidence to the contrary, something we see quite often.