News:

New members, please say hello to the forum in the Introductions board!

Main Menu

Rule/Etiquette Updates: Prejudicial Language

Started by Moderator 09, October 10, 2013, 07:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nateswift

Quote from: Jay on October 15, 2013, 05:08:25 PM
Lol. What are the complaints now? Come on peeps, find something better to do in life than b***h about the rules on a forum.

All this change does is prevent some posts from getting caught up in A TOS violation.  That's really it.
Spoilsport.  It's more fun to b***h because a new rule isn't enforced the way you want it to be in your pet thread and then b***h about a perceived proliferation of rules which probably wouldn't  be enforced the way you  want them to be either.
The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do-  Kerouac

rickymooston

Quote from: Gnu Ordure on October 10, 2013, 09:30:03 PM
I see what you're trying to do; seems fair enough, hope it works...

Just to be picky though, I'm not too sure about the wording of the new rule.

R6. Hateful Speech.  Hateful speech is speech that advocates harm against a group of people, e.g. "We should kill/jail/bomb all X".

As that stands, it would catch statements such as:

'All child murderers should be executed by the State'.
'All paedophiles should be jailed, not merely treated in hospitals'.
'We should bomb Syria'.

||666|| Good points.
"Re: Why should any Black man have any respect for any cop?
Your question is racist. If the police behave badly then everyone should lose respect for those policemen.", Happy Evolute

Gnu Ordure

To Assy:
Quote from: Maggie the Opinionated on October 15, 2013, 01:14:43 PM
Is there anyone less self-aware on the planet than you?

Well, let's think...  ||think||

There's a member here making complaints about the stringency of the new rules - but she is the most frequent breaker of the old rules.

There's a member here complaining about the lack of respect and politeness which might be expected in a civilized forum - yet she consistently violates the etiquette rules and thus occupies hours of the moderators' time.

There's a member here complaining about the slowness of the mods' response to her own Reports, not appreciating that they're all busy dealing with the avalanche of Reports about her.

And they're all the same person...

||think||

I think that beats Assy.

kevin

Quote from: Shawna on October 15, 2013, 02:32:33 PM
Hi, Luke!  What kind of combustibles are you looking for?  I have some fireworks around here somewhere........    ||smite||  (<-- No fireworks emoticons!.... but this is me and kevin and the kids getting ready to light them.....)

as i recall, you lectured me on fire safety the day before yesterday for igniting all those rolls of starbuck's capgun ammunition on the stove burners to see what would happen.
may you bathe i the blood of a thousand sheep

kevin

may you bathe i the blood of a thousand sheep

Tom

Quote from: Maggie the Opinionated on October 15, 2013, 03:26:33 PM
Quote from: Assyriankey on October 15, 2013, 02:12:54 PM
Tom's just another valued member of IGI, nothing special beyond that.

You don't need to consider him personally when reading his opinion.

Well, you've already read his post, of course.  What I should say is that you don't need to consider him personally when trying to assess his post for merit.

But you know this.

So, what's your opinion of what he actually wrote?

I have no opinion. I haven't read him. I am sure he is a very nice man, although if you approve of him, I probably need to rethink that. But I don't read lengthy posts from people who don't interest me. It is as simple as that. Since I do not know who he is and don't recall ever reading anything by him, I will pass. But I will say that if what you report is accurate, he needs to butt out, as do you.

Maggie, I joined IGI on 11th March 2010 at the invitation of a friend of mine, Johnny Cope, who sadly is no longer with us.  I post about once every two days on average so the likelihood is that you do know who I am even though you are denying it at the moment.

We have interacted before and you probably have turned on the "ignore Tom button" but then the question would be, ?Why you did that??  Is it because I was too close to the "truth" for you in what I said and you simply refused to consider what I had openly written to you? 

Now Shawna, I had forgotten that I had even communicated that suggestion to you.  I am glad that you appreciated my counsel at that time and that it was worth acting on.

One of the issues that I have on this site is that the American members do not have a very active funny bone which can be tickled occasionally and as such they miss the dry wit along with the considered thoughts that other cultures may bring. 

Tradition has become the norm and when that tradition is nudged in a direction that becomes uncomfortable, the cries of fear and rage rises up and PMs and reports are generated in an effort to stop the very slight change in course through an avalanche of unnecessary words against the one who dared to be different to explore a new world. 

It seems that once the "new World" was discovered that there was no need to continue looking for an expansion of that ?new world? for all to be able to inhabit.  So tall hats with cut outs for the eyes to see through are regularly donned and torches and wood carried to another ?kangaroo court? where the offender is ceremonially dealt with/cooked to satisfy the blood thirsty onlookers.  The Roman Blood Arena is still very much alive.

Perhaps this forum is dying from the established traditions that you Maggie and others like you {on both sides of a particular proposition}. may have forced onto it in your collective efforts of self preservation.

In an ideal world, ?rules? are not necessary when we are able to regulate our own responses but sadly Maggie, neither you nor I are a Saint and we do fall down in this area and we will cop ?abuse?/contrary views to what we post and in particular to the character that we put out there on display on this forum.  Some people do get us.  Others may be too dumb to understand the importance?s of what is being said. 

It seems to me that you have a knack of put people offside from the opening letter of your considered posts/responses.

Perhaps if you understood why this is so, it might help you bring correction into your life.

It is an exercise that I try and do regularly but not always successfully but if at first you do not succeed it is best to try and try again until you do.

As suggested above, it is possible. 

I had better stop before there are too many words in an arranged complexity that is beyond you as you have stated above.

Shalom

May you be successful in your objectives on your own site?

Tom

Shawna

Quote from: kevin on October 15, 2013, 11:52:11 PM
as i recall, you lectured me on fire safety the day before yesterday for igniting all those rolls of starbuck's capgun ammunition on the stove burners to see what would happen.

As I recall, the fire safety lecture was justified.
"I think, indeed, that the goodness of God, through His Christ, may recall all His creatures to one end."
--Origen

Maggie the Opinionated

Well, there is no one online so I might as well have some fun with Gnu. What? You didn't know that was possible? Oh my yes. When his posts are at their oleaginous best, he is hilarious. Let's see:

Quote from: Gnu Ordure on October 15, 2013, 10:49:28 PM

There's a member here making complaints about the stringency of the new rules - but she is the most frequent breaker of the old rules.

Stringency and frequency are not the same thing. Overlooking the semantic blunder, we press on to the factual blunder. I have not complained about the stringency of the new rules. I have complained about the growing number of them.

QuoteAnd then she complains about the slowness of the mods' response to her own Reports, not appreciating that they're all busy dealing with the avalanche of Reports about her.

||rotfl||  Just when I think there is not a shred of humor to be wrung out of you! Let's overlook the fact that I haven't complained about the slowness of the mods' response to anything in this thread so this is off-topic.

Who took it upon himself to review the last 30 days of my posts not too long ago, in order to find etiquette violations to report? Who would have gone back 60, 90, 120 days, if only they were not past the statute of limitations? I start to guffaw helplessly when I think of you scrutinizing my posts for violations and having to study my opinions on a variety of subjects. I can only imagine how much you must have learned despite yourself! 

I don't know if the mods appreciated your efforts but I sure did. They don't have enough to do without your help, clearly. The busier you keep them, the less time they will have for interfering with the forum. That is a definite service for which you are to be commended.

This story will always tell your tale wherever you go. 

Assyriankey

Quote from: Maggie the Opinionated on October 16, 2013, 01:20:35 PM
...  I have complained about the growing number of them.

"... their growing number."

Darling, you really need a break.
Ignoring composer and wilson is key to understanding the ontological unity of the material world.

Jay

I am me, if you dont like it, tough luck!

Shawna

I thought she was gone.  Didn't she say she was gone?
"I think, indeed, that the goodness of God, through His Christ, may recall all His creatures to one end."
--Origen

Inertialmass

God and religion are not conveyances of Truth or Comfort.  They function as instruments of earthly social control.

Jezzebelle

^ exactly.  And now we all know why she edited her message to Assy above, even though she originally posted in said message that she would not be editing.... She can't stand to go back the corner and lose her smiting ability again.   ||laughroll||
It's so damn easy to say that life's so hard

Emily

It seems that this thread has become her main priority for this forum. It seems that she just pops in to see what's going on in this thread and then leaves, making an occasional comment, perhaps an occasional smite... Yeah, she has every right to do so since she is a member of this forum but when a single thread such as this becomes one's sole purpose for logging onto a forum it's probably time to move on with the forum, at least for a week or two in order to let things simmer down.

The purpose of this thread seems to have been lost. Jay said it nicely here:

Quote from: Jay on October 15, 2013, 05:08:25 PM
Lol. What are the complaints now? Come on peeps, find something better to do in life than b***h about the rules on a forum.

All this change does is prevent some posts from getting caught up in A TOS violation.  That's really it.

But of course Maggie is not the type of person to just ignore what is being said about her. I guess that's honorable in a way, but after a while it turns into a flame war, or just a war of disagreement with how the forum is being run. I'm not blaming the members such as Jezz, Assy, Shawna, Gnu for fueling the flame. I am thinking of one member in particular but that member's name shall not be spoken.

Maggie, good luck with your forum. You'll see that as your forum grows you're going to be adding to the rules, changing some current rules, etc, As said, your forum is still young and as it grows you'll quickly find out that it's time to do something about your current rules so that the forum is just how you decided it would function at it's inception.

For example: What's your stance on sock puppetry? I see nothing in the rules about a single user having multiple accounts but on almost every forum I've been a member of that has not been allowed. So, there's an example: revamp your rules to making it against forum policy for a single user to have multiple accounts registered. What about using proxy servers? What about spamming? Links to other websites which may be harmful? NSFW content? With only four rules for a forum (and as I see no etiquette guide) eventually all hell will brake loose to that point where it'll seem like it turned into something like 4 chan. So what gets done: more rules get added to address situations that arise that you didn't think of when you first formulated the current rules, or TOS.

So as it stands with your forum I can join using two accounts, from a proxy server, spam (create multiple threads with the same content), and post a picture of some chick giving a blow job to a horse. Is all that allowed within your current rules of your forum? I see nothing against it in the rules. Don't take this the wrong way Maggie but it seems that when it comes to running a forum you're a n00b.

And what happens if you do start banning users who have multiple accounts logging on from a proxy posting spam and GIF images of a girl giving a horse a blow job, as per your current set of rules? Ban the user? Allow it? Delete the thread? But there is nothing in your rules that says it's not allowed. So, if I, as a user, get banned for posting such content I change my IP and make a new account protesting the admin's decision to ban me because there was no rule against my posts in the first place to get me banned.

So to try to make everyone happy what happens? You change the rules. It's an obvious solution to an obvious problem. A problem was found in the TOS by the staff of this forum and the staff of this forum fixed it.

This thread seems to be your only interest on this forum since you haven't posted in any other thread recently (last I checked your most recent posts it was 17 comments, all in this thread). Perhaps you are viewing other thread and just wish not to post in them. IDK since you seem to have had your account hidden as being online so I don't know if you are viewing other threads and just don't want to post in those threads.

What is your interest with this forum now, anyways? What do you wish to accomplish here? Do you wish to just post in this thread alone? All the people who have posted in this thread have posted in other threads but you haven't. You just keep on coming back to this one whenever you are online. If that's the case and your attitude with the IGI forum it's probably better to just step away from the forum for a bit.

Let things simmer down. Relax.

Maggie the Opinionated

Quote from: Assyriankey on October 16, 2013, 01:52:18 PM

You really need lessons in the English language and how to write it euphonically.

Does anyone want to explain his blunder to him or shall I?

Emily

Quote from: Maggie the Opinionated on October 16, 2013, 07:08:08 PM

You really need lessons in the English language and its usage.

Does his "blunder" negate what his comment says?

Maggie the Opinionated

Yes. Now butt out. All an increase in the number of Pit Yorkies snapping idiocies at me is going to do is cause me to dig my heels in. For as long as I can bother.

Emily

Quote from: Maggie the Opinionated on October 16, 2013, 07:15:39 PM
Yes. Now butt out. All an increase in the number of Pit Yorkies snapping idiocies at me is going to do is cause me to dig my heels in. For as long as I can bother.

If you disagree with a member's comment because he "needs a lesson in the English language and its usage" then your standards are way to high as to what constitutes a meaningful response.

nateswift

"Pit yorkies"   Whatever else, ya gotta give Maggie credit for imagery.
The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do-  Kerouac

Dr H

Can't help but notice that my "negative karma" has doubled since Maggie came back.

Coincidence?   ||spineyes||
Signature:
Dr H

"I have nothing to say and I am saying it and that is poetry."
                                                           -- John Cage

Mooby the Golden Sock

There's really no need to compare Maggie's forum to ours; she's going for a tone that's completely different.  Also, it's still in the early stages of growth, so it's hard to tell exactly how it'll turn out once it gets going.

IMO STK is a welcome addition, as our sister forums now range from pro-theist to pro-atheist.
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.--BÖC

Maggie the Opinionated

Quote from: Emily on October 16, 2013, 07:25:17 PM
Quote from: Maggie the Opinionated on October 16, 2013, 07:15:39 PM

If you disagree with a member's comment because he "needs a lesson in the English language and its usage" then your standards are way to high as to what constitutes a meaningful response.

Emily, I am going to say this as gently as I can. You are not helping; you are just prolonging a completely unnecessary b***hfest. The entire discussion was over on page one and would have ended there if the usual trouble makers hadn't decided to start a fight.

As for you, you must know that giving unwanted and unneeded advice is fraught with peril at the best of times. But you didn't let that stop you. You have breathed fresh life into a thread that should have died days ago. Assy's idiot comments beg to be ridiculed and I am glad to be the one to oblige. But he cannot be taken seriously and so is not the real problem.  Alecto and Tisiphone and their b***hy posts are. And you decided you just had to play Megaera to complete this unpleasant trinity!  Now, I suggest that you let your two "sisters" continue to poison the thread. It has to die either naturally or unnaturally. They have decided that creating more trouble and more vitriol is more fun and certainly more important than letting go.

Don't give them the pleasure of a convert.

Maggie the Opinionated

Quote from: Dr H on October 16, 2013, 08:21:13 PM
Can't help but notice that my "negative karma" has doubled since Maggie came back.

No. You butted in where you had no business butting in. I smite two things. Malice and stupidity. Guess where you failed.

Dr H

Quote from: Maggie the Opinionated on October 16, 2013, 08:29:45 PM
Quote from: Dr H on October 16, 2013, 08:21:13 PM

No. You butted in where you had no business butting in. I smite two things. Malice and stupidity. Guess where you failed.

The world is my business.  Sorry if that bothers you.  ||smiley||

Signature:
Dr H

"I have nothing to say and I am saying it and that is poetry."
                                                           -- John Cage

Gnu Ordure

Quote from: Jezzebelle on October 16, 2013, 06:14:42 PM
^ exactly.  And now we all know why she edited her message to Assy above, even though she originally posted in said message that she would not be editing.... She can't stand to go back the corner and lose her smiting ability again.   ||laughroll||

Ah yes, the smiting...

Maggie, did you see my post at the end of your Corner thread? I reproduce it here in case not:

QuoteAn observation.

Over the past twelve months, my received applaud/smite ratio has been about 4:1. For every 80 applauds, I got 20 smites.

I noticed back in early September that the frequency of the smites I was receiving fell off dramatically. So I kept an eye on the numbers, and of my next 100 hits, 97 were applauds and 3 were smites, a ratio of 32:1.

||think||

What might have happened in early September, or late August, or even mid-August, which might explain this sudden change?

||think||

No, I'm drawing a blank.

Any ideas, anyone?

And now my smites are suddenly going up, 6 in the last few days...

Which all goes to show that your constant complaints that you're the victim of a gang of 'silly smiters' is simply a projection, and another example of your lack of self-awareness. The only silly smiter on this forum is you.

Maggie the Opinionated

When, oh when are you going to stop whining about being smited? Don't earn the smite and you won't get one.

Time to drag this out again--

The Mad Smiter

I smite and I smite; as is my good right.
I smite all the day, I smite through the night.
Whether it's right or even if wrong,
I smite and I smite all the day long.
I smite right and left, I smite up and down, I smite
if you laugh and I smite, if you frown.
I smite both the dull, as well as the bright
Tis nobler to smite than to pick a big fight.
Some say it is wrong to take such delight,
in the click of the button that admin'sters the smite.
Piffle, say I, I stand on my rights
to cast judgment on those who whine about smites!

Assyriankey

Quote from: Maggie the Opinionated on October 16, 2013, 07:08:08 PM

You really need lessons in the English language and how to write it euphonically.

Definition of EUPHONY
:  pleasing or sweet sound; especially :  the acoustic effect produced by words so formed or combined as to please the ear
:  a harmonious succession of words having a pleasing sound

Maggie, do you think other members read your posts out loud?  You trying to denigrate my command of the English language is hilarious.
Ignoring composer and wilson is key to understanding the ontological unity of the material world.

Maggie the Opinionated

||rotfl||    Somebody please help this poor soul out. He almost got it with the "read aloud" comment but alas ...

Assyriankey

Maggie, what's your opinion of what Tom said above, about you leaving IGI?

No need for you to know who Tom is, just read his words, aloud if you must, and give me your opinion.

Are you really striving to be like Jesus?

d**k and Harry want to know.

Gnu Ordure

Quote from: Maggie the Opinionated on October 16, 2013, 10:13:31 PM
When, oh when are you going to stop whining about being smited?

When, oh when are you going to wake up and smell the roses?