News:

Are you in the IGI Yearbook?

Main Menu

hydraulic fraccing

Started by kevin, September 29, 2013, 02:06:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

none

I'm pretty sure I raised the issue of earthquakes and fracking
Just saw on the evening news the USGS just released a map of man made earthquake zones
And these idiots want to do fracking near  Yosemite,  a super volcano that would take out a good portion of North America
the candle can only be lit so many times.

Kiahanie

Quote from: Schrodingers Outlaw on September 03, 2016, 11:23:17 PM
I'm pretty sure I raised the issue of earthquakes and fracking
Just saw on the evening news the USGS just released a map of man made earthquake zones
And these idiots want to do fracking near  YosemiteYellowstone,  a super volcano that would take out a good portion of North America
FIFY.
"If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet ... maybe we could understand something." --Federico Fellini....."Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation" -Jellaludin Rumi,

none

kevin

four utica shale gas wells have now been completed within about one to two miles of my house in the cardinal drections. they are all silent. another is being drilled to the west-southwest.

the ventilation shaft for the coal mine roars 24/7, and is the loudest thing in the morning, even though it is 2.5 miles away.
may you bathe i the blood of a thousand sheep

Inertialmass

The problem nowadays arises not with noise but with the urban rural legend promoted in Josh Fox's Gasland and elsewhere that fracs can somehow return vertically upward toward the water table, thus carrying oil and gas into yer kitchen sink.  I don't believe there's ever been an instance of this scenario actually happening.  But oil and natural gas have invaded the water table in the established fields where old, leaky, improperly plugged wells act as conduits between the deep petrol formations and the shallow water zones.  This disastrous scene can and does happen in the complete absence of modern fracing.  At the same time shallow shale methane often enough naturally migrates into water wells in the complete absence of commercial oil and gas activity.  Awhile ago I quizzed an old time water well driller about this, who reckoned about one-fourth of the water wells he'd drilled had methane wafting out the hole at least for awhile after drilling.  Local oil producers in my area have been held improbably and absurdly responsible for domestic water well issues showing up over a mile away from their oil wells.  I got out of the shallow oil production business ~15 years ago not wanting to wake up at 3 AM wondering whether trouble not my fault and entirely out of my control was brewing in some litigious dope's domestic water system three miles away.
God and religion are not conveyances of Truth or Comfort.  They function as instruments of earthly social control.

Tom

Natural Gas/methane pressures in Coal seams can be as high as 1,000-2,000 psi so it is highly likely that in regions where this is so, that the Gas can find weaknesses in the overburden that allows the gas to migrate into the shallower water tables and hence into the pipework of houses etc.

Methane Gas is none toxic and for any vented gas from the ground to become explosive, it needs to be within the 5-15% flammable combustion limits to burn.  Usually within a few feet of the point where it is being vented out of the ground, the air gas ratio is so low that it cannot be ignited at all.

For farming land with coal seams underneath, the best outcome for the farm land is to remove as much of the methane diffused into the coal seam as possible because the methane as it seeps out of the ground, actually dries out the ground and turns the ground "black."  These areas do not support lush natural vegetation at all and trees etc. tend to be "stunted" in their growth and can die due to a lack of water in the soil where the methane is coming out of the ground.

But this understand is not well know.

kevin

the fractures are said to only propagate a hundred meters or so. i am told that they can be mapped from the surface using isotope tracers
may you bathe i the blood of a thousand sheep

none

looks like the sierra club is the only thing standing in the way of fracking at yellowstone where that super volcano is
you know that fracking operations create seismic zones, proof in oklahoma
how's that belly button lint looking?

Meat

Kevin don?t give a F.  He needs parts for his Bultaco and Maico.
"Brilliant Meat!" +1 (composer)
"Amen Meat." (Former Believer)
"Like Meat said." (Francis)
"Not brilliant, Meat!" — Villanelle
"Damned right Meat." -Kusa
 "You call this comment censorship Meatless?" (Boobs)

Kusa

I haven?t heard of those brands in forever.

Meat

Quote from: Kusa on November 10, 2017, 09:57:07 PM
I haven?t heard of those brands in forever.
My Pop hillclimed with a 73 Maico 400. He was the Flying Finn before the ski jumper.  ||grin||
"Brilliant Meat!" +1 (composer)
"Amen Meat." (Former Believer)
"Like Meat said." (Francis)
"Not brilliant, Meat!" — Villanelle
"Damned right Meat." -Kusa
 "You call this comment censorship Meatless?" (Boobs)

Kusa

Did it look anything like this?

bad actor

I've kind of always wanted to take one of those 2 stroke 700 cc Maico dirt bikes for a test spin. I have no need to actually own something like that, but it would be cool to try. ||smiley||

I'm definitely getting another KLR 650 soon though.
Maybe the day had a s**tty you.