[ALERT!! Re-vote!! Check it out!!] Have your say on the Karma System: Poll 1.

Started by Gnu Ordure, January 31, 2012, 12:52:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think we should do with the Karma System?

Leave it as it is.
21 (55.3%)
Remove it completely.
2 (5.3%)
Open the Karma Log for a trial period of a month - no comments allowed.
15 (39.5%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: February 28, 2012, 12:52:08 AM

Gnu Ordure

[Edit, 2 days later: This is now a follow-up poll, because I've changed Option 3, which used to say: "Amend it in some way".

So for new readers, the first 7 pages of this thread are to be understood in that light.

At the time I changed it, the numbers were:

Leave it: 18
Remove it : 2
Amend it in some way: 11

For further explanation, see my post on page 7.

[end edit].

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Poll 1.
====

I wondered, on another thread, why you guys didn't hold an opinion poll on the Karma issue, in order to see if there is in fact a significant desire to change the system. A couple of people told me to do it myself. Thanks, guys. So here it is.

(I'd like to mention that I was initially reluctant to do this myself, because I'm a gnubie, and some people might think I was trolling. So I checked with an Admin, and he (or possibly she) was cool about it).

Please note, this is not a referendum, it carries no authority. It's merely an opinion poll, hopefully informative - but not prescriptive.

Actually, there will be two polls, but the second depends on the result of the first. Let me explain.

Having just read all 11 pages of the Karma Transparency thread, there appear to be three basic points of view about the current Karma system: leave it alone, remove it, or change it.

So those are the options for this poll. The first two require no further polling, the third does. So I'll put up another poll which assumes that the first poll is in favour of change, based on Mooby's previous description of the options:

QuoteWe now have the following karma capabilities:

- Display a log to all members with all karma actions
- Display a log that only shows what karma you gave/received
- Show +/- for individual posts
- Require members to post a reason for karma given
- Receive PMs or pop-ups when your karma changes
- Watch individual messages for karma changes
- A few other options

That was last July, so some of those already apply, of course. And they're not mutually exclusive, so people will be able to choose more than one option. I need to think about how to phrase this second poll - suggestions welcome. But this one can go ahead in the meantime.

Have fun.

Gnu.

PS If you think this poll could be different, please say - I may be able to add other options, I'm not sure.

Ghost

I am having a problem deciding between removing it or amending it? To be honest I don't care if  they remove it but if they don't then it should be amended to be a transparent system. Can I get another option on there that says "remove or amend"? Or am I just being greedy with wanting more options  ||cheesy||

About time someone did this +1 Gnu

Oh and there is far more than 11 pages of the karma discussion floating around here I believe? I bet I have read 4 or 5 different threads that were dominated by karma drama.

Jezzebelle

It's so damn easy to say that life's so hard

Ghost

Jay

I am me, if you dont like it, tough luck!

Jezzebelle

catwixen

Amend!!!!  ||thumbs||

No way silly smiters would explain every smite they did. They just would not bother I reckon.
Meow meow meow meow meow meow meow?

Jay

Jezzebelle

Ghost

^Oh this is hilarious but I already gave you both a +1  ||popcorn||

Jay

Jezzebelle

ok jay srsly... before we get reported to try out the new troll rule

Tish

"Whatever words we utter should be chosen with care for people will hear them and be influenced by them for good or ill."
Buddha

catwixen

Meow meow meow meow meow meow meow?

Jay

Gnu Ordure

I see.

So instead of engaging in a serious Hegelian dialectic in order to address the metaphysical yet also very real problems which currently assault the peace of the Glorious Motherland... you wish to post funny gifs to each other?

I don't why I bother.

Somebody please post a gif of a kitten. That would help me.

Traveler

There, there, Gnu. At least they're voting. I don't get it either, but there ya go. Bunch of godless commies if you ask me.  ||iiam||
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Gnu Ordure

QuoteThere, there, Gnu.
Cheers, Trav.

I truly am a stranger in a strange land.

And thank you, Ghost - but that wasn't quite what I had in mind....

Tish

Quote from: Gnu Ordure on January 31, 2012, 01:46:30 AM
I see.

So instead of engaging in a serious Hegelian dialectic in order to address the metaphysical yet also real problems which currently assault the peace of the Glorious Motherland... you wish to post funny gifs to each other?

I don't why I bother.
Gnu, good on you for trying! 

I voted to amend the current system, although I think it will reduce the number of smites given, a some people like to be anonymous.  When you start your poll for the types of amends we should have, can you please include allowing a comment only, and not identifying the karma giver?  tyvm
"Whatever words we utter should be chosen with care for people will hear them and be influenced by them for good or ill."
Buddha

Ghost

Ok in all seriousness here now. I have been in favor of a system change since I have been apart of this site. Transparency to me equates to accountability and responsibility. Two things I firmly believe this site can benefit from IMO.

JadedPulse

What's the point of getting a comment if you don't know who is giving it to you?
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is that quiet voice at the end of the day saying I will try again tomorrow.

Jay

Quote from: Gnu Ordure on January 31, 2012, 01:46:30 AM
I see.

So instead of engaging in a serious Hegelian dialectic in order to address the metaphysical yet also real problems which currently assault the peace of the Glorious Motherland... you wish to post funny gifs to each other?

I don't why I bother.

Somebody please post a gif of a kitten. That would help me.

I iz sowie.

I got carried away.  I gave you an applaud though. 

Tish

Quote from: JadedPulse on January 31, 2012, 01:55:43 AM
What's the point of getting a comment if you don't know who is giving it to you?
Because you still have the anonymity, but you get to spell out exactly what it is you liked or hated about the post.   ||smiley||
Buddha

Mooby the Golden Sock

FYI, here are the current settings:

What The Settings Do

Karma Mode
- Enable positive/negative (the way it is now)
- Show karma total (positive - negative)
- Disable karma

Enable Karma Description Mod/Karma mode/Enable Karma Description Mod/Amount of lines per one page in Karma Description log/Use member names as link to their profiles
N/A (Technical, layout, and/or admin managed settings not applicable to this discussion.)

Allow users view Karma Description log
Gives access to the "Big Log"

Enable karma links in users profiles
Puts two links in members' profiles:
- Log of karma the member has given
- Log of karma the member has received

Disable whole karma log for users but enable own karma log
Members can only see their own personal logs from the above bullet (no access to Big Log or other members' logs)

Display users karma(+/-) in Karma Description Log/Enable "Where" field in Karma Description Log
N/A

Show other Karma Statistics
Creates karma stats under the Big Log similar to the Forum Stats section.  Members must be able to see the Big Log to use it.

Applaud or smite users without explanation
Turns comments on/off.

Write this in the log, when explanation is disabled
N/A

Censor karma explanation
Makes the swear filter work on karma when comments are enabled.

Users can change only topic's starter karma
Self-explanatory.

Amount of karma, which user can put for 24h
This is total for both applauds and smites.  So setting this to, say, 20 would mean you couldn't applaud 21 posts you like.  It would slow smite sprees but harm applauding.

Show small images instead of karma applaud and smite text labels/Show small images in karma description log instead of + or - in action field/Delete user karma points when i delete descriptions of changing in Karma Description log/Use karma label as link to members karma description log
N/A

Enable karma notification
Lets people receive personal messages when they get karma.

Send PM from this Member ID (1 by default)/Send link in personal message to own karma log/Send the reason in personal message/Send link in personal message to message where karma was changed/User ID's, whose karma can't be changed/User ID's, who can't modify karma
N/A

Enable last karma change on BoardIndex
Similar to Recent Posts, this displays the recent Big Log entries on the main page.

Number of descriptions on BoardIndex/How much symbols will be in Description field on BoardIndex
N/A

Display karma points in messages that users has got for ther messages
Lets you see how much karma each post has gotten.

Allow users to watch karma changes for concrete message
Turns the above into a link that shows a mini-log of all karma actions on said post.

Set the minimum posts needed to modify karma
N/A

Set wait time in hours
How long you must wait before applauding/smiting the same person.

Restrict administrators to wait time/Karma label/Karma applaud label/Karma smite label
N/A

FYI, when people complain about smited posts, admins can simply check the post log, then the personal logs of the smiters on that post.  So in practice admins currently don't see "who smites who," we just see what one person is doing.
[close]
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.--BÖC

Ghost

The argument about people being afraid to comment or give a negative/positive karma action just seems so ridiculous to me. I mean if we all want to behave like children then fine I see the point of hiding it.

Then I hear people say "well we should all act like adults and not abuse the current system". Yeah well in case nobody has realized that is never going to happen on here  ||Kerly||.

Ghost

Hahaha I was clicking on it to see if I could change it   ||rotfl||

Gnu Ordure

It depends on the nature of the comment. If someone points out that you contradicted yourself, and cites the contradictory comments as evidence, you don't need to know their identity. The point stands or falls on its own merits, regardless of who is making it.

Whereas if someone compares you to an anus, yeah, you need to know who said that, so that you can cross them off your Xmas card list.

Maggie the Opinionated

This thread needs a poem.

Smiting is easy, smiting is swell
And if you don't like it, go straight to
Albuquerque.
Smiting is soothing, smiting is quirky.
And has fewer calories than Woodrow's beef
jerky.

Smiting is easy, smiting is fast
And, boy, do its pleasures assuredly last.
Some take offense at the well-deserved smite.
Not I, not I--for that I'm too bright.
Polls have their pleasures. Polls have their place.
But nothing can equal a smite in your face.

||tip hat||

I suppose it doesn't scan; but then it is modern poetry.

JadedPulse

Quote from: Ghost on January 31, 2012, 02:08:23 AM
The argument about people being afraid to comment or give a negative/positive karma action just seems so ridiculous to me. I mean if we all want to behave like children then fine I see the point of hiding it.

I don't always like the confrontation that comes from someone knowing that you smited them. I shy away from as much confrontation as I possibly can. It makes me uncomfortable.

Quote from: Tish on January 31, 2012, 02:00:34 AM
Because you still have the anonymity, but you get to spell out exactly what it is you liked or hated about the post.   ||smiley||

Okay, I could potentially go for something like that. Although if we move to get comments--we may as well just open it up completely.
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is that quiet voice at the end of the day saying I will try again tomorrow.