News:

New members, please say hello to the forum in the Introductions board!

Main Menu

quakers, hat honor, titles, and oaths

Started by kevin, July 18, 2010, 08:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FGOH

Another appearance question (sorry if you are getting sick of these): I see from your pic in the yearbook that you wear a beard but shave your moustache. That seems to me to be a fairly common thing amongst the plain witness community. Is it, and is there any reason for it?
I'm not signing anything without consulting my lawyer.

Shawna

He used to wear a mustache without a beard.  Then he felt led to adopt a more plain appearance, and grew a beard.  He discovered that he couldn't get any food into his mouth, with hair above and hair below.  One had to go!
"I think, indeed, that the goodness of God, through His Christ, may recall all His creatures to one end."
--Origen

Shawna

Quote from: Brakeman on July 19, 2010, 01:39:08 AM
In my experience whenever someone offers an unprovoked oath or swearing to something, it usually isn't true.
I wonder if the Quaker practice also took this into consideration in their decision?

The Quakers have pointed out that folks will swear to something who don't really mean it, and oaths are meaningless as a result.

If liars take oaths, and Christ told us not to swear, why take an oath?
"I think, indeed, that the goodness of God, through His Christ, may recall all His creatures to one end."
--Origen

Happy Evolute

Quote from: Brakeman on July 19, 2010, 01:39:08 AM
In my experience whenever someone offers an unprovoked oath or swearing to something, it usually isn't true.
I wonder if the Quaker practice also took this into consideration in their decision?

http://www.biblegateway.com/keyword/?search=am+not+lying&searchtype=all&version1=31&bookset=10
An axiom is a proposition that defeats its opponents by the fact that they have to accept it and use it in the process of any attempt to deny it. - Ayn Rand

Shawna

Quote from: FGOH on July 20, 2010, 07:56:19 AM
Another appearance question (sorry if you are getting sick of these): I see from your pic in the yearbook that you wear a beard but shave your moustache. That seems to me to be a fairly common thing amongst the plain witness community. Is it, and is there any reason for it?

Oops.  I forgot to mention the historical reason....  way back when, it was considered fashionable to wear a mustache if you were in the military.  The anabaptists started shaving their mustaches off in order to distance themselves from militarism.  The practice has stuck.
--Origen

Happy Evolute

In the British Navy wearing just a moustache is forbidden, you can either grow a full set, or be clean shaven, that's the choice. Only the Army and the RAF wear moustaches.

I think it is still legal to wear a pigtail, though I have never seen it.

An axiom is a proposition that defeats its opponents by the fact that they have to accept it and use it in the process of any attempt to deny it. - Ayn Rand

Brakeman

Quote from: kevin on July 20, 2010, 04:28:33 AM
the dress identifies us to each other, helps us to maintain a degree of separated life, and keeps us out of trouble because we are always readily identifiable, even at times and in places where we might not want to be identified. we can't hide, so we can't sneak into the titty bars for a quick drink

"Titty bars for a quick drink" Ha Ha! I laughed out loud at that!  This must be why the Baptists don't favor "Plain Dress"!

Do the Quakers ever mention  Thomas Edison anymore? Back in the teens many religious groups vilified him as the "Antichrist" and shunned anything electric. I kinda recall reading a Quaker's opinion being printed in one of the contemporary newspapers about it. Some of the articles were horrific.
Brakeman:
The origin of life is certainly not the most important question in the universe, not even for Christians.
wilson:
So - how do you know? what can you do or know without life?

Jezzebelle

Quote from: kevin on July 20, 2010, 04:28:33 AM
Quote from: ZZ on July 19, 2010, 03:23:34 AM

thank you for the answer.  so you do wear a "special" hat... but its not a quaker hat?  (again, excuse my stupidity on this matter)  but what is the hat for? why?

now i see what you mean. i don't think about my clothing much, and i misunderstood

the "plain witness" is a style of living which in the amish and mennonites often means a comprehensive non-electric culture, but among quakers specifically means just a style of clothing.

men wear trousers, plain collarless shirts, suspenders, and broadbrimmed straw or felt hats. women wearlong dresses, often long sleeved, with some versionof a head covering-- either a simple white prayer cap, or a cap underneath a bonnet. clothing is uniform and differences are minor to outsiders.

the purpose is to identify oneself as a participant in a particular form of christian lifestyle, one in which some measure of detachment from the dominant culture is typical, and in which the missing cultural components are supplied more or less completely within the community, if at all possible. extreme plain living is non-electric, non-motorized agriculture, using only animal traction for farming or transportation. some plain people live within the dominant culture and are part of it in most every way except for the dress. computer programmers or teachers

the dress identifies us to each other, helps us to maintain a degree of separated life, and keeps us out of trouble because we are always readily identifiable, even at times and in places where we might not want to be identified. we can't hide, so we can't sneak into the titty bars for a quick drink

thanks for the answer kevin.  i was always curious about the dress.  i dont really understand it, but to each his own
It's so damn easy to say that life's so hard

nateswift

Quote from: Brakeman on July 20, 2010, 10:09:57 PM

Do the Quakers ever mention  Thomas Edison anymore? Back in the teens many religious groups vilified him as the "Antichrist" and shunned anything electric. I kinda recall reading a Quaker's opinion being printed in one of the contemporary newspapers about it. Some of the articles were horrific.
None of us that I know of condemn technology in itself, though some of the uses it is put to come under criticisim.
The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do-  Kerouac

Brakeman

Quote from: nateswift on July 20, 2010, 11:11:58 PM
Quote from: Brakeman on July 20, 2010, 10:09:57 PM

None of us that I know of condemn technology in itself, though some of the uses it is put to come under criticisim.
Thanks Nate, I didn't think they did currently, I really meant to ask if any of you had read anything about those times and if the article I remembered was simply a man's opinion or if more had felt that way in 1911 - 1916 or so. Do the Quaker churches typically keep good records, other than just simple attendance? Is it possible to read accounts from the church's point of view around those times?
Brakeman:
The origin of life is certainly not the most important question in the universe, not even for Christians.
wilson:

Shawna

lol!  The Quaker churches keep vast tomes of records.  They minute everything.  We know who smacked who a hundred years ago and why they did it, and that they are sorry.  (I wish I could remember the exact quote from a long-ago minute about how so-and-so was sorry that he had pushed so-and-such into a pond....)

I have never made any investigations into Quaker attitudes towards the new-fangled electricity.  It would make sense to me that they would be at the least skeptical of it, and some folks would have been vehemently against it.  But I don't think that attitude lasted very long, because I don't recall it as one of the things that required much prolonged "threshing" from our history.
--Origen

davdi

My Dad said he remembered steam engines with those long belts that ran on the flywheels attached to the sides of the boilers.  But when electricity came along, those machines went by the way side.  I do not recall seeing any steam locos at the farm in '47.
বাদল

Furu ike ya
kawazu tobikomu
mizu no oto

καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν.

unkleE

Quote from: Happy Evolute on July 20, 2010, 09:31:59 PMI think it is still legal to wear a pigtail, though I have never seen it.

Any surviving photos of HE in a pigtail???
Is there a God? To believe or not believe, that is the question!

Jezzebelle

Quote from: unkleE on July 21, 2010, 02:16:14 AM
Quote from: Happy Evolute on July 20, 2010, 09:31:59 PMI think it is still legal to wear a pigtail, though I have never seen it.

language difference?  these are "pigtails" in the US:
(mostly worn by 5 year old girls)

davdi

Quote from: ZZ on July 21, 2010, 02:20:57 AM

WHERE DID YOU FIND THIS PICTURE OF SWEETLING?
বাদল

Furu ike ya
kawazu tobikomu
mizu no oto

καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν.

Brakeman

Quote from: Shawna on July 21, 2010, 12:25:31 AM
lol!  The Quaker churches keep vast tomes of records.  They minute everything.  We know who smacked who a hundred years ago and why they did it, and that they are sorry.  (I wish I could remember the exact quote from a long-ago minute about how so-and-so was sorry that he had pushed so-and-such into a pond....)

Do the Quakers hold these records secret, or can they be available to outsiders?
Brakeman:
wilson:

Shawna

Quote from: Brakeman on July 21, 2010, 03:28:09 AM
Quote from: Shawna on July 21, 2010, 12:25:31 AM

Do the Quakers hold these records secret, or can they be available to outsiders?

Typically, they are available to anyone who requests them.  There are a lot of non-Quaker historians and genealogists who like to go through the old records...

Each meeting has its own records and its own procedures for requesting access.  One has to have some idea of what one is looking for, in order to produce any fruitful information.

Stillwater monthly meeting has kept its minutes for 150 years.  The old stuff is on microfiche in a vault.  The last 5 years or so is on paper in a ledger book in the clerk's house.

--Origen

FGOH

Quote from: ZZ on July 21, 2010, 02:20:57 AM

We call those "bunches".

A pigtail is the long plait of hair down the back typically worn by a chinaman.

Jezzebelle

ahh, i believe we call that a "rat tail"

mostly worn here by rednecks... ew

FGOH