Main Menu

Member Photo Thread

Started by Dkit, August 10, 2008, 01:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jubal Early

Quote from: urs on January 07, 2011, 07:48:21 PM
Thank you, Maggie and ZZ.

And this shows my color much better.

I absolutely stunningly love this.  For any negative comment you may receive, just think of the 5 women that admired your creativity without speaking up.

You are beautiful and I have no doubt it radiates from within.
Half of writing history is hiding the truth. - Capt. Mal Reynolds

urs

DavidM-

I understand what you are saying, and agree with much of it. However, I see our appearance as another form of expression that is not limited to standard concepts of what is "beautiful", and I don't think ornamentation should be out of the question if one is inclined towards it. We all have preferences in things like the clothes that we wear, the car that we drive, the way we decorate our house. All of these are forms of personal expression: "I am a big fan of plaid, so I will wear plaid often", "I love red sports cars, so I will drive one", "I like stained glass, so I am going to make all the windows in my house stained glass". Hair and make-up fall into this category. I think anyone, if they want to, should feel free to use their appearance as a format for expressing certain preferences. Those preferences should not have to be limited to what we see portrayed as "acceptable" preferences. When I don't feel like fixing my hair or make-up, I don't. And I don't think I look bad on those days, either. Others may think I've looked better ("Are you not feeling well?" "You look tired."), but that doesn't, and shouldn't, matter. Which is precisely my point.

I think that is part of the reason that a lot of people have a hard time understanding why I do what I do with my looks: it's not always about my looks. It is often about my preferences, where my looks are the medium for expressing them, like a canvas. For instance, I really like blue lately, so that's why my hair is blue and why I've been on the hunt for (another) great pair of blue shoes. Next month, I will likely be obsessed with a different color, so I will change my hair and buy lots of clothes or accessories or just stuff in general (like towels or even certain foods) in that color. You can tell what color phases I was in if you walk through my house - bathroom and dining area are aqua and cobalt, respectively, hallway and kitchen are celadon green, living room is chocolate brown, and I also added brown to the bathroom in my brown phase. I have four pairs of yellow shoes and one of the walls in my bedroom is yellow. I insisted on a white christmas tree this year so I could arrange all our ornaments in rainbow order, and then with the white background, the colors of ornaments would stand out more. Sometimes, I will repaint a room because my preferences have changed for the moment (kitchen's been repainted three times), and having the color on myself is just not enough. I have found ways to put stars, zebra print, stripes, and checkered patterns on my hair, simply because I was infatuated with how those looked at the time. I am less concerned with how these ideas will modify my appearance, and more concerned with how well I can see my particular preference at the time. Since I am highly responsive to color, this shows in the decisions I make regarding nearly every aspect of my life.

So, I think anyone who wants to should use their hair, face, or body for personal expression, but I don't think they should be concerned with other peoples' ideas about how they do that. And I don't think they should be made to feel inadequate or ugly because they have chosen to ignore societal norms in favor of their own. I think the pressure and behavior surrounding traditional concepts of beauty are tied up in the fact that many people (especially women) don't really know who they are or what they want; or, they know those things, but are scared or uncomfortable with sharing them, mostly due to the negative feedback they know they are likely to receive if they don't "fall in line". But that is the very problem: it's not about anyone else but us. Feedback in general, both good and bad, is irrelevant. We shouldn't need "permission" to like the things we like, but that's exactly how many of us behave. We trust other peoples' opinions above our own, even people we don't know. That's ridiculous. It's not my business what other people think of me, and it's generally of little or no consequence, anyway, especially if they are immature enough to judge me simply on the basis of my appearance. So, I simply encourage my clients to do what they want to do, to do what they like, no matter what that is, and not worry so much about what everyone else will think. We don't all have to be the same. It's not wrong to be different. And it's not wrong to convey those differences through our appearance. That's my point.

David M

Well, blue hair it is, then.   ||tip hat||
WARNING: Amateur psychiatrists have determined that this poster can be hazardous to your peace of mind.  Do not consume anything written by this poster unless accompanied by adequate doses of salt.

Son of Man

Urs, you would even look great with blue skin.   : )
+1
"Our old forum is dead we should bring a newborn one to life."  
Steve Ox, GLF Forum, July 28, 2008

Krisikins

Urs! How do you stop your hair going to absolute s#!t?!

i like blue but i find it turns green too fast! i think like an emerald green is my fave!
I'm not convinced of the existence of these things that don't exist...

Mrs Pumpkin

I guess it's about time I added to this thread.

If you're not sure, I'm the one in the background  ||grin||

urs

Quote from: Krisikins on January 11, 2011, 02:48:11 AM
Urs! How do you stop your hair going to absolute s#!t?!

i like blue but i find it turns green too fast! i think like an emerald green is my fave!

I'm very careful. I don't overbleach (for the most part). The bright hair colors aren't damaging, either - they're basically like tinted conditioner. To be honest, it wouldn't kill me to cut off about 5 inches of it atm, since those ends are looking pretty rough right now. But I figure so long as I can still camouflage the damage, I'll keep the length. I tend to go through cycles. Once my hair gets to a point where it can't take anymore, I just cut it off and wear it spiky.

Ratman

Mrs. Pumpkin, You look a lot like the mother of my kids. +1 BTW I stopped calling her my ex.  Nobody should be labeled an ex in my book.
There's no real relationship between what a person believes and what their religion ostensibly teaches them to believe.

leese

Quote from: Mrs Pumpkin on January 11, 2011, 03:28:03 PM
I guess it's about time I added to this thread.

If you're not sure, I'm the one in the background  ||grin||
+1, Wish I could join you, looks yummy.

leese

Quote from: Ratman on January 11, 2011, 04:25:01 PM
Mrs. Pumpkin, You look a lot like the mother of my kids. +1 BTW I stopped calling her my ex.  Nobody should be labeled an ex in my book.
That's sweet, Ratty.

Hemingway

Here I am....... beegorrah to be sure, to be sure!

So who had me figured for a Leprechaun-esque type character, with a flat cap, a beer gut and a big hat with a buckle on the front?

I bet you all did........
"Dont try to fix me, I'm not broken"

Jezzebelle

another irish hottie!  damn!

+1 hemmy  ||grin||
It's so damn easy to say that life's so hard

Jubal Early

Quote from: Hemingway on January 11, 2011, 07:20:57 PM

So who had me figured for a Leprechaun-esque type character, with a flat cap, a beer gut and a big hat with a buckle on the front?

Actually more like a fishing pole in one hand while yelling and shaking a fist at the sea with the other ... LOL
Half of writing history is hiding the truth. - Capt. Mal Reynolds

styleislove

Cute picture of the Moose I found in my bed:

Cute picture of the Moose I found in my bed, and the cute man I found in my bed:
You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
You just have to know who you are and stay true to that.
So I'm going to keep fighting for people the only way I ever knew how.
8y 8eing me.

Ratman

+1 Style for having a man in your bed.  Style does it with style....oh wait.  ||think||.
There's no real relationship between what a person believes and what their religion ostensibly teaches them to believe.

leese

Quote from: Hemingway on January 11, 2011, 07:20:57 PM

||wolf-whistle||

styleislove

Quote from: Ratman on January 13, 2011, 12:02:38 AM
+1 Style for having a man in your bed.  Style does it with style....oh wait.  ||think||.

:D Thanks. and indeed I do. Isn't he just a...cute thing? :3
You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
You just have to know who you are and stay true to that.
So I'm going to keep fighting for people the only way I ever knew how.
8y 8eing me.

Sweetling

An old friend posted this college pic, from maybe 1989, on Facebook.
Keepin' it Real!

Ratman

Another Hottie for sure, for sure. ||banana|| ||thumbs||

Sweetling

One wonders how many other pictures are lurking out there, waiting to be publicized by some old buddies we can barely remember. And how (un)flattering they might be...
Keepin' it Real!

catwixen

Quote from: Sweetling on January 14, 2011, 03:20:10 AM

An old friend posted this college pic, from maybe 1989, on Facebook.
awwwwwwwwwww how gorgeous!  ||thumbs||
Meow meow meow meow meow meow meow?

Jezzebelle

my fav pic from the latest igi survivor thing
me picking my nose

It's so damn easy to say that life's so hard

catwixen

Mwahahaha ^ there is a lot of nail up that nose! You are adorable.
Meow meow meow meow meow meow meow?

JudoChop

Hey Hemingway, you handsome sod, nice tan too!

Here's me, I think my fire retardent suit really matches my hair.

Abdullah: You got me wrong, I'm not the Eel, I'm the one trying to prove to you that Eels are not Atheists.

Captain Luke

JudoChop

I had to google that, some resemblance certainly, doesn't he look like Mike Myers though?
Abdullah: You got me wrong, I'm not the Eel, I'm the one trying to prove to you that Eels are not Atheists.

Captain Luke

I was looking at his squinty photos

JudoChop

Quote from: Captain Luke on January 20, 2011, 03:05:06 PM
I was looking at his squinty photos

You'd be particularly squinty if you had foam padding squashing your features into a hole roughly the size of a rubix cube.

Captain Luke

That's my normal friday night.

JudoChop

Either start complimenting me or no more Judo eyecandy for you! *points*