News:

IGI has a Facebook group!

Main Menu

Member Photo Thread

Started by Dkit, August 10, 2008, 01:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy Evolute

Throw it away and start again (the food, not the violin).

||boohoo||
An axiom is a proposition that defeats its opponents by the fact that they have to accept it and use it in the process of any attempt to deny it. - Ayn Rand

GodsPROMISE

Quote from: Happy Evolute on June 07, 2010, 09:36:59 PM
Throw it away and start again (the food, not the violin).

||boohoo||
sounds like a great weight loss technique to me!

kevin

north dakota at sunset two days back

used to call these a squall in a previous life

may you bathe i the blood of a thousand sheep

Dadzilla

^^That is an awesome pic! +1
"I've learned that good-byes will always hurt, pictures will never replace having been there, memories good and bad will bring tears, and words can never replace feelings."

Cheshire

Kevin, do you live in ND?

I went to school there for a couple of years. Really beautiful country up there.
./\_/\                                  /\  /\   
(>'.'<) This is Cheshire Kitty. >'.'<         '.'
(")_(")                                   "  �

kevin

no, i live in a truck and see my family every three weeks. today i'm in wisconsin. if i have a long dispatch and good roads i'll do 600 miles every day

the dakotas are genuinely beautiful now. bees everywhere, white pelicans, gulls, pronghorn. fierce in january, though

are you in aviation? there's a good flight school up there

Cheshire

Nope, I just went there because it was cheap and they offered me a good scholarship.

The winters were brutal, though, we went the entire month of January below zero one year. :(

But yes, summers in the Dakotas are very pleasant. Me and my bf did a lot of good camping out there.

davdi

Quote from: Cheshire on June 08, 2010, 04:37:48 AM
Nope, I just went there because it was cheap and they offered me a good scholarship.

The winters were brutal, though, we went the entire month of January below zero one year. :(

But yes, summers in the Dakotas are very pleasant. Me and my bf did a lot of good camping out there.

The winter of 84 -85 went below freezing in October and didn't get back above freezing till March.  I threw a paper route that year while going to CMU in Mt. Pleasant, MI.  It was below zero for much of Dec., all of Jan., until almost the middle of Feb.
বাদল

Furu ike ya
kawazu tobikomu
mizu no oto

καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν.

leese

@ davdi  &Cheshire

Weather weenies ||Kerly||

davdi

Quote from: leese on June 08, 2010, 07:33:48 PM
@ davdi  &Cheshire

Hey i was raised on the edge of a desert, 100 degree days are nothing
বাদল

Furu ike ya
kawazu tobikomu
mizu no oto

leese

Quote from: davdi on June 08, 2010, 07:38:56 PM
@ davdi  &Cheshire

Ok, I'm a wuss when it comes to heat. Add humidity and I want to die.

acctnt_shan

Quote from: kevin on June 08, 2010, 04:16:38 AM
no, i live in a truck and see my family every three weeks. today i'm in wisconsin. if i have a long dispatch and good roads i'll do 600 miles every day

Really stupid question here - but how do you get online so frequently?  Satellite access?   ||think||
Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~Elbert Hubbard

Shawna

^  His mom gave him a laptop for Christmas.  Most of the truckstops have WiFi.  When he stops for the day, he just opens up the laptop and looks around for a WiFi provider.
"I think, indeed, that the goodness of God, through His Christ, may recall all His creatures to one end."
--Origen

kevin

Quote from: acctnt_shan on June 08, 2010, 08:41:12 PM
Quote from: kevin on June 08, 2010, 04:16:38 AM

Really stupid question here - but how do you get online so frequently?  Satellite access?   ||think||
truckstops often have wifi, as do nearby restaurants, factories, and sometimes even transit buses. the connections vary in quality, but tonight in illinois it's pretty good as long as nobody pulls a truck between me and the fuel islands where the antennae are. highway rest areas in north dakota and texas have broadband.

sometimes i park on the street and can pick up wifi from anonymous neighborhood transmitters.
often i can't get a connection because somebody has parked between me and the antennae. if i move the truck, i can sometimes get it back.

Cheshire

@ davdi  &Cheshire

Haha, quite true. :) 

What can I say? I like a pleasant atmosphere.

acctnt_shan

Thanks  ||thumbs||  I was curious.

And I'm a weather weenie too... *thinks longingly of the California weather she's moving too... remembers earthquakes and quits thinking...*
Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~Elbert Hubbard

Son of Man

The earthquakes are no big deal.  My sister is 20, and a few months ago she was happy to experience her first quake.  People sleep thru most of them, and what's left is generally too small to even notice.
"Our old forum is dead we should bring a newborn one to life."  
Steve Ox, GLF Forum, July 28, 2008

acctnt_shan

Quote from: Son of Man on June 09, 2010, 12:14:51 PM
The earthquakes are no big deal.  My sister is 20, and a few months ago she was happy to experience her first quake.  People sleep thru most of them, and what's left is generally too small to even notice.

Until we get one like Haiti... or Chile...

Son of Man

California has building codes.  It won't be anything like Haiti.  You'll probably like the earthquakes if you're lucky enough to be awake for a larger one.  It feels like being out at sea.
"Our old forum is dead we should bring a newborn one to life."  
Steve Ox, GLF Forum, July 28, 2008

leese

I was in Ca for the Northridge -'94' and SF - '89' quakes.Those were the only two quakes that rocked my house pretty good living in CA.  I usually park on the top tier of parking structures living in the ring of fire.

davdi

Quote from: leese on June 08, 2010, 08:09:58 PM
Quote from: davdi on June 08, 2010, 07:38:56 PM
@ davdi  &Cheshire

Ok, I'm a wuss when it comes to heat. Add humidity and I want to die.

You'd love Arkansas, especially in your rear view mirror.
বাদল

Furu ike ya
kawazu tobikomu
mizu no oto

Shawna

Quote from: leese on June 09, 2010, 06:05:05 PM
I was in Ca for the Northridge -'94' and SF - '89' quakes.Those were the only two quakes that rocked my house pretty good living in CA.  I usually park on the top tier of parking structures living in the ring of fire.

I was in San Jose during the '89 quake.  Under my desk.  While my boss screamed hysterically under hers.  Big earthquakes in California are dangerous, but the building codes prevent them from being total catastrophes.  My ex-husband's office building was badly damaged.  I remember standing outside it, watching the water flow out the windows like it was a giant waterfall.  They eventually condemned it, and the contractor got sued for not building to code.  But it was the worst damaged building in Cupertino.

Don't worry about the quakes.  Every place has its natural disasters.  Just don't buy a house built on landfill....    ||whistling||
"I think, indeed, that the goodness of God, through His Christ, may recall all His creatures to one end."
--Origen

GodsPROMISE

I was in Ca for the Northridge -'94' and SF - '89' quakes.Those were the only two quakes that rocked my house pretty good living in CA.  I usually park on the top tier of parking structures living in the ring of fire.
hey i didnt know you were out here. im 15 minutes form northridge :) i lived through the 94 as well. i was 12. i remember it well despite my age. i slept poorly for months after. the aftershocks were the worst. every year since that day has an eerie feel to it to me  ||huh||

JadedPulse

I think I would pee my pants in an earthquake, or a tornado for that matter.

Give me a good old fashioned U.P. winter/snowstorm any day!
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is that quiet voice at the end of the day saying I will try again tomorrow.

Shawna

^  Doing your kegels will help with that.
--Origen

JadedPulse

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is that quiet voice at the end of the day saying I will try again tomorrow.

catwixen

Meow meow meow meow meow meow meow?

leese

Quote from: GodsPROMISE on June 10, 2010, 05:54:55 AM
hey i didnt know you were out here. im 15 minutes form northridge :) i lived through the 94 as well. i was 12. i remember it well despite my age. i slept poorly for months after. the aftershocks were the worst. every year since that day has an eerie feel to it to me  ||huh||
I'm in Alaska now. Quakes up here pretty often too.  I lived in San Luis Obispo County when those quakes happened. We felt it but no damage other than a few things fell.My sister was down near Northridge when it hit. she had displaced friends staying with her for quite a while after it.

acctnt_shan

Quote from: GodsPROMISE on June 10, 2010, 05:54:55 AM

You're near LA, GP?  I'm most likely moving there in August :-)

davdi

Quote from: JadedPulse on June 10, 2010, 05:59:14 AM
I think I would pee my pants in an earthquake, or a tornado for that matter.

Give me a good old fashioned U.P. winter/snowstorm any day!

Ah Yupper, oh my gosh.  Seney Flats!  Where from, eh?
বাদল

Furu ike ya
kawazu tobikomu
mizu no oto