News:

New members, please say hello to the forum in the Introductions board!

Main Menu

Christian Doctrine - Pop Quiz.

Started by eyeshaveit, August 23, 2016, 10:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyeshaveit

What were some of the sources for the Apostle Paul's teaching ?

Spoiler

Revelation - " For I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ." - Galatians 1.

The Old Testament - Paul quotes the OT some 90 times.

Christian sources - "The gospel I preached to you ... I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve." - 1 Corinthians 15.

Judaism sources - " Circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the law, a Pharisee" - Philippians 3.

Greek sources -  "??In him we live and move and have our being?; as even some of your own poets have said, ??For we are indeed his offspring.?" - Acts 17.

Jesus of Nazareth - "For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, ?This is my body, which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.? - 1 Corinthians 11 (quoting Luke 22).
[close]

Jesus Christ died so you could have access to God.

composer

Quote from: eyeshaveit on April 27, 2017, 05:43:04 AM
||think||

As already proved, the biblical Paul was fabricated! - (http://isgodimaginary.com/forum/index.php/topic,63228.msg832122.html#msg832122)

The only things it said, was what the Story book writers fabricated!  ||razz||

||popcorn||
Your alleged gods are very bad god persons, I am offering them the chance to become good god persons for the very first time, but only after they admit they are bad god persons and want to try again.

eyeshaveit

Quote from: composer on April 27, 2017, 07:51:39 AM
||think||

As already proved, the biblical Paul was fabricated! - (http://isgodimaginary.com/forum/index.php/topic,63228.msg832122.html#msg832122)

The only things it said, was what the Story book writers fabricated!

"So Paul, standing in the midst of the Areopagus, said: ?Men of Athens, I perceive that in every way you are very religious. For as I passed along and observed the objects of your worship, I found also an altar with this inscription: ?To the unknown god.? What therefore you worship as unknown, this I proclaim to you. The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in temples made by man, nor is he served by human hands, as though he needed anything, since he himself gives to all mankind life and breath and everything. And he made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and the boundaries of their dwelling place, that they should seek God, and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him. Yet he is actually not far from each one of us" - Acts 17.

eyeshaveit

What are the Synoptic Gospels ?

Spoiler

"The gospels of Matthew, Mark, and Luke are referred to as the Synoptic Gospels because they include many of the same stories, often in a similar sequence and in similar wording. They stand in contrast to John, whose content is comparatively distinct." - Wikipedia.

"Synoptic - presenting or taking the same or common view; specifically ... relating to or displaying conditions (as of the atmosphere or weather) as they exist simultaneously over a broad area" - Merriam Webster Dictionary.
[close]

eyeshaveit

A Christian's proper use of prayer includes :

Negotiations - true or false ?
Being creative - true or false ?
Self expression - true or false ?
Therapeutic aspects  - true or false ?
Manipulation of God, self or others - true or false ?
Informing God of what he does not know - true or false ?

Spoiler

All false; none of above should be thought of as a 'proper use of prayer'.
[close]

composer

||think||

Quote from: eyeshaveit on April 27, 2017, 09:43:31 AM
"So Paul, standing in the midst of the Areopagus, said: ?Men of Athens, I perceive that in every way you are very religious. For as I passed along and observed the objects of your worship, I found also an altar with this inscription: ?To the unknown god.? What therefore you worship as unknown, this I proclaim to you. The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in temples made by man, nor is he served by human hands, as though he needed anything, since he himself gives to all mankind life and breath and everything. And he made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and the boundaries of their dwelling place, that they should seek God, and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him. Yet he is actually not far from each one of us" - Acts 17.
||think||

Quoting from your human devised fallible (e.g. Prov. 30:25 & 30) Story book based upon MYTHS & Hearsay, isn't legitimate evidence!

||popcorn||
Your alleged gods are very bad god persons, I am offering them the chance to become good god persons for the very first time, but only after they admit they are bad god persons and want to try again.

eyeshaveit

Quote from: composer on April 30, 2017, 01:36:53 AM
||think||

Quote from: eyeshaveit on April 27, 2017, 09:43:31 AM

Quoting from your human devised fallible (e.g. Prov. 30:25 & 30) Story book based upon MYTHS & Hearsay, isn't legitimate evidence!

Fail -0.0 - ineffectual blather; grandiose self-vindication; literary illusion; etc.

composer

Quote from: eyeshaveit on April 30, 2017, 06:09:00 AM
Fail -0.0 - ineffectual blather; grandiose self-vindication; literary illusion; etc.
||think||

Describes You & Co. to a tee!

Not so Vindicated Moi!

||popcorn||

eyeshaveit

Including the mass conversion at 'Pentecost' there are 13 conversion experiences described in Acts. How many of these incorporate 'speaking in tongues' ?

Spoiler

Four of the thirteen conversion experiences include speaking in tongues.
The Charismatic Movement usually strongly suggests that a fifth experience is implied, by Luke, in Acts.
[close]

eyeshaveit

Heidelberg Confession question 33,
"Why is Christ called God's "only begotten Son", since we also are the children of God ?

Spoiler

Answer,
"Because Christ alone is the eternal, natural Son of God, but we are children of God by adoption, through grace, for His sake."
[close]

eyeshaveit

Are there any biblical grounds for divorce ?

Spoiler

There are two biblical grounds for divorce : 'adultery' and the 'deliberate and beyond repair separation of an unbeliever'.

"And I say to you: whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery.? - Matthew 19.

"But if the unbelieving partner separates, let it be so. In such cases the brother or sister is not enslaved. God has called you to peace." - 1 Corinthians 15.
[close]

Inertialmass

You've taken to answering your own quizzes now?
God and religion are not conveyances of Truth or Comfort.  They function as instruments of earthly social control.

eyeshaveit

Who validates and authenticates scripture for the Christian believer ?

Spoiler

The Holy Spirit is the 'Authenticator of Scripture':

[Jesus said,] ?When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you. All that the Father has is mine; therefore I said that he will take what is mine and declare it to you." - John 16.
[close]

eyeshaveit

How does Christianity differ, in two main ways, from Buddhism, Confucianism, Islam, Shintoism, Taoism, etc.

Spoiler

1 - An atonement; the sacrificial death of Jesus Christ.
2 - A living Mediator; the resurrection and ascension of Jesus Christ to God's 'right hand'.
[close]

eyeshaveit

What is the 'Correspondence Theory of Truth' ?

Spoiler

"The correspondence theory of truth states that the truth or falsity of a statement is determined only by how it relates to the world and whether it accurately describes (i.e., corresponds with) that world." - Wikipedia.
[close]

eyeshaveit

?Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah, not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant that they broke, though I was their husband, declares the Lord. For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people. And no longer shall each one teach his neighbor and each his brother, saying, ?Know the Lord,? for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, declares the Lord. For I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.? - Jeremiah 31.

Have these "days" come; when did the "new covenant" kick in and take effect ?

Spoiler

Jesus instituted the new covenant in the upper room on the night before he was crucified:

"And he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, ?This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.? And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, ?This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood." - Luke 22.
[close]

eyeshaveit

What is 'Inclusivism' ?

Spoiler

"Inclusivism, one of several approaches to understanding the relationship between religions, asserts that while one set of beliefs is absolutely true, other sets of beliefs are at least partially true. It stands in contrast to exclusivism, which asserts that only one way is true and all others are in error." - Google.

Inclusivists don't reject Jesus; they just add Christ to their 'supernatural toolbox'
[close]

eyeshaveit

What testimony does the Holy Bible provide against errors of doctrine ?

Spoiler

1 - Christ's testimony in Scripture.

2 - The Church's testimony to Scripture.

3 - The Holy Spirit's testimony through Scripture.
[close]

eyeshaveit

"You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and has nothing to do with the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies."
John 8.

What are the Devil's two most serious and significant lies ?

Spoiler

1 - Life is random; there is no creator.

2 - Truth is relative; there is no moral law.
[close]

eyeshaveit

"For as by the one man's [Adam's] disobedience the many were made sinners, so by the one man's [Jesus'] obedience the many will be made righteous." - Romans 5.

Explain both Jesus Christ's 'active' obedience and his 'passive' obedience ?

Spoiler

Christ's active obedience was through his keeping the Law, by obeying every statute, and his resulting sinless life.

Christ's passive obedience was through his suffering, the shedding of his blood, and his death which paid the penalty for the sins of others.
[close]

eyeshaveit

What is 'traducianism' ?

Spoiler

"In Christian theology, traducianism is a doctrine about the origin of the soul (or "spirit"), holding that this immaterial aspect is transmitted through natural generation along with the body, the material aspect of human beings. That is, an individual's soul is derived from the souls of the individual's parents. This implies that only the soul of Adam was created directly by God (with Eve's substance, material and immaterial, being taken from out of Adam)" - Wikipedia.
[close]

eyeshaveit

"Question 9 - What is the work of creation?" - The Westminster Shorter Catechism

Spoiler

"Answer - The work of creation is, God?s making all things of nothing, by the word of his power, in the space of six days, and all very good." - The Westminster Shorter Catechism
[close]

eyeshaveit

"Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord, nor of me his prisoner, but share in suffering for the gospel by the power of God, who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus" - 2 Timothy 1.

What are the distinctions between the 'external' and 'internal' call of God ?

Spoiler

"The one functions externally only by means of the Word, to which also the Holy Spirit does join Himself in His common operation, resulting in common illumination and historical faith. The other, however, penetrates [internally] the very heart of man, powerfully illuminating it with wondrous light, revealing spiritual mysteries to man in their essential form, and powerfully inclines the will ..." - Wilhelmus Brakel - Mannerism,
[close]

eyeshaveit

"To begin with, the Jews were entrusted with the oracles of God." - Romans 3.

What are the 'oracles of God' ?

Spoiler

"Communications from God. The term refers both to divine responses to a question asked of God and to pronouncements made by God without His being asked. In one sense, oracles were prophecies since they often referred to the future; but oracles sometimes dealt with decisions to be made in the present." - Holman Bible Dictionary
[close]

eyeshaveit

What are the functions of the church ?

Spoiler

Discipline - ?If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every charge may be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses. If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector" - Matthew 18.

Fellowship - "Therefore welcome one another as Christ has welcomed you, for the glory of God." - Romans 15.

Ministry - "And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ" - Ephesians 4.

Sacraments - "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" - Matthew 28. "For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes." - 1 Corinthians 11. 

Witness - "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.? - Acts 1.

Worship - "Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name." - Matthew 6.
[close]

eyeshaveit

"Augustine of Hippo (354 - 430 AD) was an early Christian theologian and philosopher whose writings influenced the development of Western Christianity and Western philosophy." - Wikipedia.

What was Augustine?s answer to the question, ?What was God doing before He created the world?"

Spoiler

Augustine allegedly replied: ?Creating hell for curious souls.?
[close]

Augusto

Lol, that last one is hillarious...! +1

eyeshaveit

"For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth." - Romans 1.

Describe the "wrath of God" ?

Spoiler

God's wrath is a response to evil (sin).
God's wrath is always measured and just.
God's wrath is stored up for a 'day of wrath'.
[close]

eyeshaveit

What does the minimum Christian Church service consist of ?

Spoiler

1 - Singing.
2 - Praying.
3 - Reading of Scripture.
4 - Preaching from the Word.
5 - Administering of the Lord's Supper regularly.
[close]

eyeshaveit

"If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every charge may be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses. If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector." - Matthew 18.

What is the one (only) sin 'worthy' of the church breaking fellowship with a believer ?

Spoiler

The sin of impenitence.
[close]