News:

IGI has a Facebook group!

Main Menu

Notification from Leese

Started by leighann907, November 25, 2009, 07:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leighann907

Mom has officially transferred to the Rehabilitation Unit here at Providence. The new room number is 581, just in case anyone needs it. Here, she?ll be working at getting back into a daily routine. Each day she has three hours of miscellaneous therapy scheduled throughout the morning and afternoon. She?ll continue doing it until she?s able enough to go home and get along by herself. It sounds like a large deciding factor for when she?ll be ready is whether or not she can tackle the stairs. She knows if she keeps at it, she?ll be there in no time. Believe me, mentally, she?s beyond ready to knock those stairs into tomorrow. Today was the first full day of starting long therapy sessions. She worked so hard? she was beat by the time she finished her speech therapy after 3.

Her doctors and therapists are still sounding hopeful for a full recovery; however, they?ve found another issue that needs addressing. The stroke has left mom with some left-sided negligence. Same as gaining the mobility back in her limbs, this is a problem that can be worked with. It?s just going to take time, hard work and lots of support. I found this link about it if anyone wanted to read a little about it. http://www.asha.org/public/speech/disorders/RightBrainDamage.htm I was blown away, I?d never heard of such a thing. We?re already beginning to plan exercises into her daily routine to help correct it. Luckily, it doesn?t seem too severe. Her speech therapist suggested activities like reading and playing cards.  I?m looking forward to working with her on this.

With the help of her physical therapist and a steady handrail, she walked about 30 feet today. He braced her leg while she shifted weight and with one baby step at a time, she walked the entire rail. Once she gains more muscle tone from weight bearing it?ll become easier, then eventually she?ll be cruising by herself.  It was moving to watch; my mom is my hero. She is doing so unbelievably well with all of this and staying exceptionally positive. I told her today that when I grow up, I want to be just like her. Well, minus all this stroke business? and that made her laugh.

Thanks again for being so supportive here? it?s been an enormous encouragement for mom. I?ve always thought my mom was a pretty big deal, but it?s nice to see that so may other people feel the same way.

Off topic, but I wanted to put it up... moose outside the hospital. I just assume that isn't common everywhere.

catwixen

OMG Mooseman is gonna love that^!!!!
Thankyou so much Leighann. You keeping us informed is invaluable. Your mom is very much loved here.
It sounds like a very hard road for you and your family and leese to travel. You and we believe in leeses strength....we also know she might get tired...it is ok, hey? Love to her...is all we can offer. There is much much love here, I know that for sure!!!!!!
Meow meow meow meow meow meow meow?

catwixen

Hey Leighann, how are you doing? You know there are many people here who care about you? I certainly do. I heard you were an awesome person...thru your mum.  ||smiley||
Meow meow meow meow meow meow meow?

Sita

Thanks so much Leighann for keeping us posted on your mom?s recovery.  From what you told us, it looks as though she'll be back better than ever. 

||banana|| ||banana|| ||banana|| ||banana|| ||banana||

Hugs to both of you.

||hug|| ||hug|| ||hug|| ||hug|| ||hug||
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.  Carl Sagan

nateswift

"Card games?"  Woohooo!  Take my advice and do not play poker with her.  Now pinochle, especially double deck pinochle navy style is a great game if you have 4 reasonably intelligent people.
The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do-  Kerouac

Kerlyssa

+1 to ricky for visiting leese.

jedweber

Hi Leese - I wish you all the best.

I just want to let you know that amazing recoveries are possible.  My father had a massive stroke more than ten years ago that put him in a coma. When he woke up, he could only move his eyelids and had to communicate by blinking. He spent months in a traumatic brain injury unit and then over a year in a nursing/rehab facility. He worked hard with the therapists, there were ups and downs, but he never gave up and gradually recovered his abilities.

Now he's been back home for ten years and is still going strong in his 70s. He gets around with a walker and a wheelchair, is very active in the community (he's become a bit of an advocate for the disabled), and keeps in touch with family and friends all over the country through his computer. Beyond the physical conditions that are out of one's control,  I think keeping a positive attitude, keeping active and engaged, and finding meaning and purpose in one's life can help recovery a great deal.

rickymooston

Outside the hospital is a safe place ... Sarah Palin isn't around ...

Sounds encouraging
"Re: Why should any Black man have any respect for any cop?
Your question is racist. If the police behave badly then everyone should lose respect for those policemen.", Happy Evolute

Shawna

Yay, Leighann!  You are also a hero!  When I grow up, I want to be just like you and leese, only minus the stroke and minus the arctic circle part... although the moose are cool.  I would also like to be able to poop alone... although I haven't reliably been able to poop alone for many years... there's always some kid banging on the door, "Mom!!!!!!!!  He's copying me!"  "She's not letting me watch my movie!"  "Nuh-uh!"  "Nuh-huh!"  And allllll together....   "MOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!"  *Deep sigh*

Thank you so much for keeping us informed, and thank you so much to leese for thinking about us.  Your mom is awesome, Leighann.

I love you, leese, and not only am I still praying for you, but I have also got my whole church praying for you too!   ||razz||  You're on God's radar whether you like it or not!  Neener-neener-neener!  I am hoping that this will give you some more incentive to walk that hall!  Anything to get away from those darned prayer circles......   ||preach||
"I think, indeed, that the goodness of God, through His Christ, may recall all His creatures to one end."
--Origen

leese

I've got lots of replies cached in my head. I'm finally back online with my own computer. yay...

Happy Evolute

An axiom is a proposition that defeats its opponents by the fact that they have to accept it and use it in the process of any attempt to deny it. - Ayn Rand

Kerlyssa

Quote from: leese on December 02, 2009, 09:59:52 PM
I've got lots of replies cached in my head. I'm finally back online with my own computer. yay...

||devil|| ||hug||

Sita

Include me in on those happy dances.  Yay Leese.

||banana|| ||banana|| ||banana|| ||banana|| ||banana||

||hug|| ||hug|| ||hug|| ||hug|| ||hug||

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.  Carl Sagan

nateswift

Dunno whether to join the dancing or go somewhere and hide.

Guess I'll dance in a really secret place.
The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do-  Kerouac

Former Believer

Outstanding!  Welcome back, Leese!
Don't sacrifice your mind at the altar of belief

David M

Quote from: nateswift on December 02, 2009, 11:02:00 PM

Dunno whether to join the dancing or go somewhere and hide.

Guess I'll dance in a really secret place.

Spoken like a true Quaker.   ||razz||
WARNING: Amateur psychiatrists have determined that this poster can be hazardous to your peace of mind.  Do not consume anything written by this poster unless accompanied by adequate doses of salt.

leese

Quote from: Former Believer on December 02, 2009, 11:42:35 PM

Outstanding!  Welcome back, Leese!
You're safe Nate. I'm limited to typing with my right middle finger. I've been dedpertely trying to get the left middle finger to redpond, but no luck yet. Rehab therapists are trying to help in my recovery of this important communication endeavor.

rickymooston

Quote from: leese on December 03, 2009, 05:20:06 AM
[I'm limited to typing with my right middle finger. I've been dedpertely trying to get the left middle finger to redpond, but no luck yet.

At least you have a very valid excuse for your typos.
"Re: Why should any Black man have any respect for any cop?
Your question is racist. If the police behave badly then everyone should lose respect for those policemen.", Happy Evolute

nateswift

Lemme see if I've got this straight.  Yer typing with your middle finger?   And I'm safe?

leese

Quote from: rickymooston on December 03, 2009, 05:25:14 AM
[I'm limited to typing with my right middle finger. I've been dedpertely trying to get the left middle finger to redpond, but no luck yet.

trust me; i'm using it all the time.
leese:  I had a massive stroke, STFU. Need anyone killed?

leese

Things are going well here in the hospital life. Thr Dtr.s and therapists did my assemrnt today and came up with a tenative dischaege date og 3-4 weeks. I'm pretty elated and aprehensive at the same time. yay freedom but jeeze, today was the firstt day I got myself into a wheelchair without help. That's a long wat from being self-sufficent and driving. I have to pass a specialdriving test to get my licrnse back. This is required after TBIs znd strokes. Thatsis good measure in my opinion

i would'nt trust my griving zt the moment
Quote from: rickymooston on December 03, 2009, 05:25:14 AM

Nothing personal Nate. it's directed at strokes and other such bulls**te

Servant of God

WOOOOOO HOOOOOO leese is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ||banana2|| ||banana2|| ||banana2|| ||banana2|| ||banana2|| ||banana2|| ||banana2|| ||banana2|| ||banana|| ||banana|| ||banana|| ||banana|| ||banana|| ||banana|| ||banana|| ||banana|| ||banana|| ||banana|| ||banana|| ||devil|| ||devil|| ||devil|| ||devil|| ||devil|| ||devil|| ||devil|| ||devil|| ||devil|| ||devil|| ||devil|| ||devil|| ||devil|| ||devil|| ||devil|| ||devil|| ||devil||
Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible ~ Corrie Ten Boom

jill

So good to see you (read you) Leese!  

You'll be self sufficient again in now time.    ||thumbs||

It is what it is

leese

Quote from: jill on December 03, 2009, 03:35:21 PM
So good to see you (read you) Leese!  

You'll be self sufficient again in now time.    ||thumbs||

?thanks, Jill, and everyone else for the words of encouragement and your personal stories about stroke recovery.
fit: THANK OU FOR SHOEING UP TO TALK TO ME. iT MEANT A GREAT DEAL TO ME. ||hug||

Former Believer

Leese, do you realize that you, me, and Wesley Snipes are all 47 years old?
Don't sacrifice your mind at the altar of belief

jill

Quote from: Former Believer on December 04, 2009, 05:43:03 PM

Hey!  I used to be 47!    ||tip hat||
It is what it is

leese

how nice it is to come back to my room and find mail from forum members waiting on my bed. Thank you for the cards, flowers, and a book of poetry I'm ready to dive into. This community is wonderful and I'm proud to call many of you my 'friend.

Therapy is going well. I managed to 'walk about 100 feet in total today. I'm pretty sure they're training me to walk on my butt, since every exercise seems to involve thoxe muscles.

nateswift

Quote from: leese on December 04, 2009, 11:57:49 PM
how nice it is to come back to my room and find mail from forum members waiting on my bed. Thank you for the cards, flowers, and a book of poetry I'm ready to dive into. This community is wonderful and I'm proud to call many of you my 'friend.

Therapy is going well. I managed to 'walk about 100 feet in total today. I'm pretty sure they're training me to walk on my butt, since every exercise seems to involve thoxe muscles.

ooooh, butt muscles...... Don't even talk to me about butt muscles.  Did I ever tellya about my last backpacking trip?

BTW you should know that I am typing this with my middle fingers to "salute" your stroke and any other such, as you suggested.

leese

Quote from: Former Believer on December 04, 2009, 05:43:03 PM
Lets hope 48 is just a wee bit better fo some of us. ||think||

leese

Quote from: nateswift on December 05, 2009, 01:12:52 AM
Quote from: leese on December 04, 2009, 11:57:49 PM

ooooh, butt muscles...... Don't even talk to me about butt muscles.  Did I ever tellya about my last backpacking trip?

BTW you should know that I am typing this with my middle fingers to "salute" your stroke and any other such, as you suggested.
Do tell Nate..butt stories are always good

h