News:

IGI has a myspace page.  Please add us if you're a myspace fiend!

Main Menu

Notification from Leese

Started by leighann907, November 25, 2009, 07:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leighann907

To whom it may concern:

My mother, Leese, has asked me to sign up and start a thread to inform everyone about recent events.

This last Sunday afternoon, she suffered an acute stroke that left her paralyzed on the left side. Since admittance to Providence Hospital here in Anchorage, she has already shown great signs of improvement. Within 2 days, her speech therapist was able to graduate her to soft solid food and thin liquids. She can?t move her left limbs intentionally, but the muscle is still toned and her reflexes are kicking. We?ve been told that she may need to stay here up to six weeks for rehabilitation, but it depends on her progress. The next few days should give the physical therapists a better idea of what we?re working with. She has a lot of challenging therapy ahead of her, but things are looking hopeful.

Despite the unfair situation, mom is holding up really well. She?s staying positive and constantly catching us off-guard with her witty jests. The Chaplain has been coming in for her entertainment to discuss her spiritual needs. After the last visit, she said ?I can?t help it if the fish are going to jump in my boat,? and we all laughed really hard.

She?ll be in room 571 here at the hospital if anyone would like to send well wishes. I?m sure she would appreciate them. Also, I?ll be checking back here upon mom?s request until she can get back into action herself. Sorry to pass along such unfortunate news. I look forward to logging back in with mom when she?s feeling up to it in the next couple days. Thank you for taking the time to read this; take care.

-Leighann

nateswift

Oh, wow....Leese!  THAT presence will be sorely missed for sure.  Be sure to take her some comments from favorite threads so she can fire back something interesting.
Meanwhile, I... uh well, heck I'm gonna be praying for you and her anyhow, ok?
The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do-  Kerouac

Son of Man

Thank you, leighann, for taking the time to do this.  Your mother has quite a few fans around these parts, myself included.  She's got a way of lightening the atmosphere around here and keeping things fun.

Leese, I'm so sorry.  : (  But not sorry enough to let you get away with not posting.  A forum needs Eskimos like a fridge needs cold.  As soon as you're able, get your ass back here, or we're sending SteveOx to pay you a little visit.

And, leese, as long as you've got access to a chaplain, why don't you try to convert him to Scientology, so he knows how the non-Christians feel?  : )
"Our old forum is dead we should bring a newborn one to life."  
Steve Ox, GLF Forum, July 28, 2008

nateswift

Quote from: Son of Man on November 25, 2009, 08:49:36 AM
And, leese, as long as you've got access to a chaplain, why don't you try to convert him to Scientology, so he knows how the non-Christians feel?  : )

It had just occurred to me that I should add the chaplain to my prayer list and I see this.....
Dear God, I hope he has a sense of humor.
The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do-  Kerouac

Captain Luke

Oh, noes.

Get better soon Leese!

unkleE

Hi Leese,

I'm only a distant friend these days, but I sure wish you well in your recovery. And best wishes to you too leighann, and thanks for letting us know.

unkleE
Is there a God? To believe or not believe, that is the question!

Former Believer

Leighann,

Thanks for starting this thread.  I hope you are doing okay and that your mom recovers quickly.

Leese, you are loved and missed.  Please return to your rightful place on this forum asap where you can share your good sense with those who need it.  I hope you recover even more quickly than expected and that you are extra kind to yourself in the weeks ahead.  You are appreciated and cared for.
Don't sacrifice your mind at the altar of belief

Son of Man

Leese, there's a rumor going around that you converted to Christianity on the way to the hospital.  Is this true?
"Our old forum is dead we should bring a newborn one to life."  
Steve Ox, GLF Forum, July 28, 2008

Dkit

I'm terribly sorry.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery! 

Dkit

leighann907

Quote from: Son of Man on November 25, 2009, 09:46:15 AM
Leese, there's a rumor going around that you converted to Christianity on the way to the hospital.  Is this true?
Mom says "Rumors of my conversion have been greatly exaggerated."

leighann907

Mom wanted to check back in tonight when she woke up... thanks so much for all the well wishes! It really perked her up. Since the tests aren't back from the lower 48, we still don't know why it happened. I'll keep posting more information as we get it.

catwixen

Leighann thankyou for letting us know about this.

Leese, you get better quickly you hear?! You know how this place falls apart without you!
I am thinking of you and love you dearly.
I will keep the boys (and Shawna) in line until you get back.

||love|| ||kiss|| ||hug||
Meow meow meow meow meow meow meow?

Steveox

Is Leese a senior? Thats what happens when youre old. When you get over 60 or 70 your body starts to fail. Anyway im sorry hope she gets well get back in here.

We are the silent majority

Servant of God

Leese, I know you are gonna kick that strokes butt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stay postive  ||hug|| ||hug|| ||hug|| I will be praying for you.... I'm sure gonna miss talking to you for a while but I know you will be back..... ||kiss||

leighann907, Thank you so much for letting us know and keeping us informed
Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible ~ Corrie Ten Boom

Happy Evolute

An axiom is a proposition that defeats its opponents by the fact that they have to accept it and use it in the process of any attempt to deny it. - Ayn Rand

Sita

Leese, if there is one thing I know about you it is, you are a strong woman and I know you have the will to fight back from this.  I just know you will.   

||hug|| ||hug|| ||hug|| ||hug|| ||hug|| ||hug||

And you know that laughter is the best medicine, so have fun with the Chaplain.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.  Carl Sagan

Kerlyssa

Awww, s**t.

Leese, get better! Don't leave me alone with these maniacs for long!

They might not be here when you get back...

JustMyron

Holy sh*t. (Wait, is that appropriate? Preemptive strikethrough.)

Leeesssseee!  ||sad|| ||sad|| ||sad||

This sucks. But you can get through this and be OK.

||hug|| ||hug|| ||hug||

This seems really coincidental, but just yesterday, I was listening to a BBC documentary where a neuroscientist suffered a massive stroke in her 30's, and she talked about what it was like going through it, and some about her recovery process. I think it might be of interest, particularly to members here who don't have access to a doctor to answer their questions like Leese does. And at least it tells me that people can recover pretty fully from a stroke. But when listening, remember that where the stroke happens in the brain affects what the experience of the stroke is like, and what the effects are. Since Leese's right hemisphere of her brain was affected (controlling the left arm) whereas this person's left hemisphere was affected, the experience for Leese is likely to be very different. But still, in case anyone wants it...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/documentaries/2009/05/090526_myworld_stroke.shtml

jill

Leese!   ||shocked||

I'm so sorry to hear of this turn of events!  But your strength and will and good sense of humor will pull you out of this.   Just follow the therapists suggestions!   That may be the hardest thing to deal with, but they know what they're doing.  :)

Please get well soon and return to this crazy place.   As others have said, you are loved and missed.

Jill 
It is what it is

mbrown3

I'll be praying for you in the days ahead...for strength of body and spirit, and that God's hand would be on you.

BmorePitbull

I know I'm new to the forums, and as such I don't know anyone here really well, but I do wish you all the best in your recovery.  

I hope that you're holding up ok too leighann.  

It seems like there are some promising signs already for her recovery.  

I don't live any where near Anchorage, but if there is anything that you all need during this difficult time, please don't hesitate to ask.  I'm sure that the members here are more than willing to help in whatever they can.

I wish you the best of luck with your recovery.   

Former Believer

Quote from: Son of Man on November 25, 2009, 09:46:15 AM

False.  Sort of.  The Hare Krishna dude got to her first.
Don't sacrifice your mind at the altar of belief

faithangel50

Quote from: leighann907 on November 25, 2009, 09:54:43 AM
Mom wanted to check back in tonight when she woke up... thanks so much for all the well wishes! It really perked her up. Since the tests aren't back from the lower 48, we still don't know why it happened. I'll keep posting more information as we get it.
I just read about your mom and will pray for her. Iwl try to ask a friendwho had a stroke a frew years ago to pray too.

Vynn

Don't worry about all those prayers coming your way, Leese, my god'll take care of them.
Signature deleted by mods

Marksheppy

I will definitely keep her in my prayers. I have had loved ones suffer from strokes and it is not a good thing to experience. I hope and pray that the family is doing alright.

Apotheosis

Harsh luck. Get well soon, Leese.

rickymooston

Quote from: leighann907 on November 25, 2009, 07:55:34 AM
This last Sunday afternoon, she suffered an acute stroke that left her paralyzed on the left side. Since admittance to Providence Hospital here in Anchorage, she has already shown great signs of improvement.

Leighann907, I'm glad she's recovering.  She is a very good person with a good "spiritual" heart ...

I get the impression she's helped a good deal of people in her life and likely has quite the innner strength

While I believe the "spirit" is a physical thing, I think it can be quite powerful. Being surrounded by people that
care, is a powerful thing!!!

||smiley||

Strength to you too. Its is very hard to see somebody you love go through this kind of stuff. When they win, its inspirational but when they seem to be losing it is very demotivating.
"Re: Why should any Black man have any respect for any cop?
Your question is racist. If the police behave badly then everyone should lose respect for those policemen.", Happy Evolute

leighann907

Quote from: JustMyron on November 25, 2009, 01:35:13 PM
Holy sh*t. (Wait, is that appropriate? Preemptive strikethrough.)

Leeesssseee!  ||sad|| ||sad|| ||sad||

This sucks. But you can get through this and be OK.

||hug|| ||hug|| ||hug||

This seems really coincidental, but just yesterday, I was listening to a BBC documentary where a neuroscientist suffered a massive stroke in her 30's, and she talked about what it was like going through it, and some about her recovery process. I think it might be of interest, particularly to members here who don't have access to a doctor to answer their questions like Leese does. And at least it tells me that people can recover pretty fully from a stroke. But when listening, remember that where the stroke happens in the brain affects what the experience of the stroke is like, and what the effects are. Since Leese's right hemisphere of her brain was affected (controlling the left arm) whereas this person's left hemisphere was affected, the experience for Leese is likely to be very different. But still, in case anyone wants it...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/documentaries/2009/05/090526_myworld_stroke.shtml
Mom says, "I think I posted that video somewhere on the forum a long time ago. It's very cool. My stroke wasn't that awesome. However, I did get to experience some auditory anomalies before collapsing. I didn't hear god or jesus, just my own voice in a very detached way."

leighann907

I'm sitting here with mom going though responses again...
She says, "Thanks for the continued well wishes. I'm doing ok and I'm surrounded by family and friends as well as all the supportive staff at the hospital. Having a stroke at age 47 is quite a shock but will work to my advantage in my recovery. I hope to be back to my normal life very quickly. The neurosurgeon has told me told wasn't brought about by anything in my lifestyle or was something I could have foreseen or prevented. Genetics has the largest role in this. Choose your parents wisely... ha. Has anyone heard from Fit? I'd like to hear of his progress. I just received from flowers from a church; I think they're trying to get me while I'm down."

ReasonIsOutToLunch

I have been away too long..... Sorry, to hear a good person is having these kinds of problems. I am hoping for a full recovery. Too, bad you have to put up with people praying over for your recovery, but I see Vynn has it under control. No worries though, prayers only negatively effect the believers.