News:

IGI has a Facebook group!

Main Menu

Dexter visits the US again

Started by Dexter, August 13, 2023, 05:25:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dexter

Flight from Perth tomorrow, change planes in Brisbane, overnight in LA and then onto Jackson Hole.

I keep losing my glasses,

I begin today by acknowledging the Ngarluma people, Traditional Custodians of the land on which I work and live, and pay my respects to their Elders past and present. I extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.

maritime

Neat. Bon Voyage ||smiley||

QuoteJackson Hole Airport is the largest and busiest commercial airport in Wyoming. The Jackson Hole Airport is also the only airport in the US that is located inside a National Park.

Shnozzola

Had 2 workmates visit Montana lately.  One graduate work for university, and another just left after vacation.  Both saw Yellowstone and were awed.  Hope you see Yellowstone, Glacier, chief crazy horse and Rushmore, grand canyon, and yosemite.  Although 10-12 hr drives in different directions from Jackson hole.
Ironically, the myriad  of "god" beliefs of humanity are proving to be more dangerous than us learning that we are on our own, making the way we treat each other far more important

Kiahanie

Glad you are seeing some of our cooler country.
"If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet ... maybe we could understand something." --Federico Fellini....."Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation" -Jellaludin Rumi,

Kiahanie

"If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet ... maybe we could understand something." --Federico Fellini....."Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation" -Jellaludin Rumi,

Dexter

Quote from: Kiahanie on August 13, 2023, 09:50:52 PMAre you missing the Matildas?
Watched the game against France on TV. It is a shame that there always has to be a winner and a loser. Both sides played well and pushed themselves to the limit.
I begin today by acknowledging the Ngarluma people, Traditional Custodians of the land on which I work and live, and pay my respects to their Elders past and present. I extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.

Case

What are you doing in Wyoming? Yellowstone?

We were there a few years ago and I remember hot springs and dinosaur bones.
"You have formed us for Yourself, and our hearts are restless until they find rest in You." Augustine, Confessions, Book 1, Chapter 1

Kiahanie

Rent an electric motorcycle and ride the back roads.

Maria-Juana

Have a fun and safe trip, Dexter||beerchug||
"In vino veritas." 🍷
—Pliny the Elder

kevin

i havent been to yellowstone since i was five years old. geysers, moose, bears, hot springs, mudpits, i remember a lot of it.

spectacular country, especially because the whole thing is sitting on top of that magma chamber that sooner or later is quite possibly going to turn into a volcano and fry all the touristas.

best to see it before it does.
may you bathe i the blood of a thousand sheep

Kiahanie

Nope. That magma chamber is moving east, coming for you, kevin. Looking at a topo map you can see where it's been.

Case

I was just in Michigan's upper peninsula looking at volcanic rock that formed 1 billion years ago. The fault line is inactive now, or so they say...
"You have formed us for Yourself, and our hearts are restless until they find rest in You." Augustine, Confessions, Book 1, Chapter 1

Dexter

Staying in Driggs, Idaho for a week. Plan to head up to Ennis on the weekend and visit an animal sanctuary

kevin

michigan is a basin, if you look at a small scale geologic map

the rings are layers that used to be one above the other, but the middle sank and then was ground off flat, making the rings

Case

The volcanic rock I was talking about is about where all the dark yellow and brown are on the map, on Lake Superior. The fault line ran through the Keewenaw Peninsula on the northwest end of the upper peninsula.

Case

Quote from: Dexter on August 16, 2023, 03:11:21 PMStaying in Driggs, Idaho for a week. Plan to head up to Ennis on the weekend and visit an animal sanctuary

My family and I camped in the Custer National Forest near there a few years ago. Beautiful country. I'm sure the locals have informed you to watch out for grizzlies.

Mr. Blackwell

Keep in touch. My situation is changing rapidly. But If your schedule stays the same, we might be able to meet. 
Unrestricted free speech, paradoxically, results in less speech, not more. - Yoel Roth

Mr. Blackwell

Side note. Dexter, you should post some pictures as you travel. Just a thought. Would be neet to see America from your perspective.
Unrestricted free speech, paradoxically, results in less speech, not more. - Yoel Roth

Dexter

Will post some pictures shortly.

Dexter

Dexter

Dexter

Dexter

Dexter

kevin

kevin

the corsair is cool too

Dexter

Dexter

Dexter

Dexter