News:

Are you in the IGI Yearbook?

Main Menu

Recent posts

Religion / Re: Is basic human motivation ...
Last post by Kiahanie - Today at 09:04:07 PM
^^^^^  ||iinam||
Last post by kevin - Today at 08:10:56 PM
ive always like this version

There is an inn, a merry old inn
beneath an old grey hill,
And there they brew a beer so brown
That the Man in the Moon himself came down
One night to drink his fill.

The ostler has a tipsy cat
that plays a five-stringed fiddle;
And up and down he runs his bow,
Now squeaking high, now purring low,
Now sawing in the middle.

The landlord keeps a little dog
that is mighty fond of jokes;
When there's good cheer among the guests,
He c**ks an ear at all the jests
and laughs until he chokes.

They also keep a hornéd cow
as proud as any queen;
But music turns her head like ale,
And makes her wave her tufted tail
and dance upon the green.

And O! the rows of silver dishes
and the store of silver spoons!
For Sunday there's a special pair,
And these they polish up with care
on Saturday afternoons.

The Man in the Moon was drinking deep,
and the cat began to wail;
A dish and a spoon on the table danced,
The cow in the garden madly pranced,
and the little dog chased his tail.

The Man in the Moon took another mug,
and then rolled beneath his chair;
And there he dozed and dreamed of ale,
Till in the sky the stars were pale,
and dawn was in the air.

Then the ostler said to his tipsy cat;
'The white horses of the Moon,
They neigh and champ their silver bits;
But their master's been and drowned his wits,
and the Sun'll be rising soon!'

So the cat on his fiddle played hey-diddle-diddle,
a jig that would wake the dead:
He squeaked and sawed and quickened the tune,
While the landlord shook the Man in the Moon:'
'It's after three!' he said.

They rolled the Man slowly up the hill
and bundled him into the Moon,
While the horses galloped up in rear,
And the cow came capering like a deer,
and a dish ran up with a spoon.

Now quicker the fiddle went deedle-dum-diddle;
the dog began to roar,
The cow and the horses stood on their heads;
The guests all bounded from their beds
and danced upon the floor.

With a ping and a pong the fiddle-strings broke!
the cow jumped over the Moon,
And the little dog laughed to see such fun,
And the Saturday dish went off at a run
with the silver Sunday spoon.

The round Moon rolled behind the hill,
as the Sun raised up her head.
She hardly believed her fiery eyes:
For though it was day, to her surprise
they all went back to bed!
Last post by Kiahanie - Today at 07:53:38 PM
Now that we have that settled, why did the cow jump over the moon?
Last post by Maria-Juana - Today at 07:40:43 PM
Quote from: Jstwebbrowsing on Today at 06:47:23 PM
Quote from: Maria-Juana on Today at 07:01:06 AMand they, and the only two humans that they put in a garden refused to cooperate? Why?
Why does anyone ever do what they know to be wrong?

Well, I'm an angel, —My grandpa used to call me, "an enchantment from heaven" so I wouldn't know.
||grin||

But Google explains why...

Quote• Psychological factors: Unresolved traumas, mental health disorders, or fear can trigger bad actions.

• Survival mode: Feeling backed into a corner can lead to bad actions.

• Societal pressure: The desire to fit in and feel accepted can lead to acting against better judgment.

• Acting on autopilot: People may act without being aware that anything morally significant is at stake.

• Self-deception: People may trick themselves into taking shortcuts.

• Lack of willpower: People may not have the willpower to resist temptation.

• Ego and sense of self: Bad choices are often driven by ego and sense of self.

• Idealistic fanaticism: Many evil acts are the result of idealistic fanaticism.

• Vindictive acts: To gain self-esteem, to live up to a grandiose self-image.

A god equipped us with all of it, I guess.

In the case of Adam and Eve, I think it was just ignorance of the consequences of their actions.
Religion / Re: DeSantis signs school chap...
Last post by kevin - Today at 07:38:48 PM
Quote from: Jstwebbrowsing on Today at 06:08:47 PMDon't try to censor me.  I am not your audience for that.  I listed all of those witnesses for added stress. 

you can write whatever you want, jst. i will carefully read your own thoughts, and your own reasoning behind what you think is important. as here, i will ignore text walls you copy and paste of other people's thoughts.

QuoteThere is no reason I should have put it all into my own words.

being able to put it into your own words is the fundamental test of understanding. if you dont understand it well enough to put it into your own words, dont expect me to accept your opinion on whether its true.

QuoteI don't accept or reject anything simply because it's in an old book, but you seem to and that's what I'm questioning.  How does being in an old book determine the truth factor of a story?  How does committing something to writing make it less credible?

you misunderstand. writing it down doesnt make it less credible. but there is no way to look at a story written down by someone else, somewhere else, long ago, far away, and make any kind of reasonable assessment as to whether its true or not.

tell me about the death and resurrection of jesus. now tell me about the death of krishna. tell me about how slain vikings get to valhalla.  tell me about how the buddha fasted for a month on a single grain of rice. tell about how muhammed recieved divine revelations from adam, moses, and jesus christ.

all ^^^these are written about in old books, no worse documented and no less credible than your bible. i dont see how your bible stands out from them in any way. yet you recite one at me and not any of the others.

QuoteIf I tell you that I split the Red Sea, is that more credible than Moses?

??? it would absolutely be more credible than moses. i can talk to you. you can tell me what you did, show me where you did it, possibly do it again. i can evaluate your testimony, look at the results in front of me, and make a decision based on existing facts that i can see for myself.

moses has as much credibility as spiderman, jst. did moses exist? how do you know? was he hidden in the bulrushes? did he warn pharoah of the wrath of jehovah? did he lead his people to sinai and receive the law from the finger of god? did odin hang from ygdrassil for nine nights and a day? did jesus feed 5000 with a few pieces of bread and some fish? did beowulf kill grendels mother long ago? did the pharisees and sanhedrin falsely accuse jesus of blasphemy? did achilles chase hector round the walls of troy? did daniel kill the dragon of the babylonians? did siddhartha abandon his life as prince ? did jason turn the fleece?

which of these are true and which are false? you can read them all in various books. your bible is not any different.

so yes. please dont recite text walls of scripture at me. i do not share your fundamental assumption that it is true, and it therefore does not advance your argumnts. should you ever have evidence other than your scripture that jesus existed, that he was formerly the archangel michael, that adam and eve are more than ancient fables, that daniel ever wrote anything down, and so on, i will be happy to listen and quite possibly change my mind.

until then, i will absolutely listen to you, and not so much to a book printed in brooklyn..
Last post by Jstwebbrowsing - Today at 07:24:56 PM
Quote from: Kiahanie on Today at 07:03:34 PM^^^^^ To avoid a greater wrong; for self-gratification; ignorance of a non-wrong option; because they think their situation is exceptional; no time to find a better choice; their position makes them immune to consequences.

There are lots of possible reasons.
That sounds like a good starting point for Adam and Eve.
Last post by Maria-Juana - Today at 07:23:06 PM
Quote from: 8livesleft on Today at 08:24:17 AM...

Yeah, this couple's so downright dirty scheming manipulatively evil. And now clothed??? The gall!

Clothed!
The gall!
Last post by Kiahanie - Today at 07:03:34 PM
^^^^^ To avoid a greater wrong; for self-gratification; ignorance of a non-wrong option; because they think their situation is exceptional; no time to find a better choice; their position makes them immune to consequences. Lotsa reasons.

But viewing the story on its own terms suggests that A&E were sinless, having no knowledge of good and evil until partaking of the Fruit of the Tree.  In their ignorance of good and evil they broke the rule, they lost their innocence and were kicked out.
Last post by Jstwebbrowsing - Today at 06:47:23 PM
Quote from: Maria-Juana on Today at 07:01:06 AMand they, and the only two humans that they put in a garden refused to cooperate? Why?
Why does anyone ever do what they know to be wrong?
Religion / Re: DeSantis signs school chap...
Last post by Jstwebbrowsing - Today at 06:08:47 PM
Quote from: kevin on May 01, 2024, 07:23:37 PMdont recite scripture at me, jst. im not your audience for that.
Don't try to censor me.  I am not your audience for that.  I listed all of those witnesses for added stress.  There is no reason I should have put it all into my own words.

Quote from: kevin on May 01, 2024, 07:36:52 PMnothing, if all six are just stories in an old book. the labors of hercules are equally likely.

what do you think of those?
I don't accept or reject anything simply because it's in an old book, but you seem to and that's what I'm questioning.  How does being in an old book determine the truth factor of a story?  How does committing something to writing make it less credible?  If I tell you that I split the Red Sea, is that more credible than Moses?