News:

New members, please say hello to the forum in the Introductions board!

Main Menu

Christian Doctrine - Pop Quiz.

Started by eyeshaveit, August 23, 2016, 10:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyeshaveit

Quote from: Teaspoon Shallow on January 25, 2017, 09:42:36 AM
Yet he kills King David's baby to teach David a lesson. (2 Samuel 12)  Where is the sanctity in that action?

In this fallen world many an 'innocent' person has paid a price for forgiveness. Consider the innocent and the sinless Jesus Christ: God ordained Christ to be nailed to a cross and killed.

Your horror of the crucifixion and the like is all quite meaningless, as long as you only wish to remain x number of kilograms of fertilizer waiting to be spread.
Jesus Christ died so you could have access to God.

eyeshaveit

Quote from: composer on January 25, 2017, 10:24:40 AM
Yet he kills King David's baby to teach David a lesson. (2 Samuel 12)  Where is the sanctity in that action?

Fetuses to be terminated by rituals, incantations and curses if a wife may have had another partner other than her husband.  (Numbers 5:11-22)  Where is the sanctity in that action?

Story book hypocrisy abounds again, e.g. Mary we are told had another partner that allegedly made her pregnant with the little narcissistic bastard jebus, but instead of it being killed according to Numb. 5:11-12, this Story book God(s) contradicts its own laws and rewards jebus & as for trinitarians, it rewards itself!

||popcorn||

Your faith belief in your very own story book god, the little narcissistic bastard jebus, says it all, and that's not saying very much.

composer

Quote from: eyeshaveit on January 25, 2017, 10:32:05 AM
In this fallen world many an 'innocent' person has paid a price for forgiveness.
||think||

The useless fertilizer is entirely yours & Co's religious mentality!

Re: Story book jebus' alleged sacrifice/substitution -

There is no operation of Divine wisdom that has been so completely misapprehended and misrepresented as the shedding of the blood of Christ. Popular preaching brings it down to a level with the sacrifices of idolatrous superstition, by which wrathful deities are supposed to be placated by the blood of a substitutionary victim. Christ is represented as having paid our debts?as having died instead of us?as having stood in our room like a substitute in military service, or like a man rushing to the scaffold where a criminal is about to be executed, and offering to die instead of him (a favourite illustration in the evangelical pulpit).

Such views are contradicted by even the most superficial facts of the case; for if Christ died instead of us, then we ought not to die (which we do); and if he paid the penalty naturally due from us?death?he ought not to have risen (which he did). And if his death was of the character alleged, the redeeming power lay in itself and not in the resurrection that followed; whereas Paul declares to the Corinthians that, notwithstanding the death of Christ, ?if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain: ye are yet in your sins? (1- Corinthians 15:17).

Further, if Christ has paid our debts, our debts are not ?forgiven,? for it would be out of place for a creditor to talk of having forgiven a debt which someone else has paid for the debtor; and thus is blotted out the very first feature of the gospel of the grace of God?the forgiveness of our sins ?through the forbearance of God? (Romans 3:25 ). (Robert Roberts)

Not only is your own bible based upon MYTHS but the very core of your Cult's ideology is rendered spurious by its own propaganda!

QED

||popcorn||
Your alleged gods are very bad god persons, I am offering them the chance to become good god persons for the very first time, but only after they admit they are bad god persons and want to try again.

Teaspoon Shallow

In this fallen world many an 'innocent' person has paid a price for forgiveness. Consider the innocent and the sinless Jesus Christ: God ordained Christ to be nailed to a cross and killed.

Your horror of the crucifixion and the like is all quite meaningless, as long as you only wish to remain x number of kilograms of fertilizer waiting to be spread.

Once again Eyes, you failed to answer a question that was directly related to your post.
I am sure god was demonstrating his love for "his image" when he flooded the earth or was that not a literal event?
"If I could stop a person from raping a child, I would.    That's the difference between me and your God." Tracie Harris

eyeshaveit

Quote from: Teaspoon Shallow on January 25, 2017, 10:55:27 AM

Once again Eyes, you failed to answer a question that was directly related to your post.
I am sure god was demonstrating his love for "his image" when he flooded the earth or was that not a literal event?

By definition, fertilizer-in-waiting generally isn't sure of anything supernatural.

For example, anyone (consider myself) who has no actual knowledge of the behavior, habitat and range of the apex predators of the ocean, can only mumble inanities when coming upon the image of a bull shark.

And endless rules about posting, such as my failing to answer a question; such directives are meaningless unless you codify and enforce them. The Pharisees were ultra polite, but they lacked the truth. They were fertilizer-in-waiting. 

Teaspoon Shallow

Ah but you Eyes are special, you are not fertilizer-in-waiting because are sure of things supernatural, you have your own little god detector but unfortunately you are unable to show it to anyone else. 

Good for you I guess.  ||dead||
"If I could stop a person from raping a child, I would.    That's the difference between me and your God." Tracie Harris

eyeshaveit

Quote from: Teaspoon Shallow on January 25, 2017, 11:32:53 AM
Ah but you Eyes are special, you are not fertilizer-in-waiting because are sure of things supernatural, you have your own little god detector but unfortunately you are unable to show it to anyone else. 

Good for you I guess.  ||dead||

1 - One should not be afraid of a relationship with their Lord and God, the supernatural Creator of the Universe; if that makes me "sure" of something, then so be it.

2 - No one to my knowledge has ever been issued a God Detector; doubt that such exists.

3 - Christians don't have to "show" anyone anything; we are merely commissioned to preach the Gospel of God, on a take-it-or-leave-it basis. Pray you "take it, but never that it would be forced on you. 

Teaspoon Shallow

You cannot detect god?  What kind of relationship can you have with a thing that cannot be detected? 
How can you tell if it is real or imaginary?

eyeshaveit

Quote from: Teaspoon Shallow on January 25, 2017, 11:48:48 AM
You cannot detect god?  What kind of relationship can you have with a thing that cannot be detected? 
How can you tell if it is real or imaginary?

1 - Detect might be the correct word if you were searching for something or someone created by the supernatural Creator of the Universe.

2 - But Almighty God answers prayers; He redeems and sanctifies believers, they enjoy a relationship with the LORD. And a Christian's answered prayers can be rewarding indeed.

3 - And agnostics and unbelievers, they also benefit mightily of God's undeserved common grace.

(We have been through all this before.) 

composer

Quote from: eyeshaveit on January 25, 2017, 12:23:14 PM

3 - And agnostics and unbelievers, they also benefit mightily of God's undeserved common grace.
||think||

||spineyes||  ||spineyes|| Again yours is another ideology/belief system that contradicts itself!

You speak of alleged ' undeserved divine grace ', whilst also claiming some one had to sacrifice themselves/pay the price for you, so you can enjoy this (ahem) not for free ' grace? '.  ||spineyes||  ||spineyes||

(Christian theology) the free and unmerited favour or beneficence of God (WordWeb)

Your ideological reality - (Christian theology) the free and unmerited favour or beneficence of God

||popcorn||
Your alleged gods are very bad god persons, I am offering them the chance to become good god persons for the very first time, but only after they admit they are bad god persons and want to try again.

eyeshaveit

"And when they came to the crowd, a man came up to him and, kneeling before him, said, ?Lord, have mercy on my son, for he has seizures and he suffers terribly. For often he falls into the fire, and often into the water. And I brought him to your disciples, and they could not heal him.? ... And Jesus rebuked the demon, and it came out of him, and the boy was healed instantly.Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said, ?Why could we not cast it out?? He said to them, ?Because of your little faith." - Matthew 17.

What is so important about a Christian's faith?

Spoiler
Faith in God, in spite of unanswered prayers or whatever unworkable or unthinkable situation, means we (continue to) believe. Belief in God is a bedrock of Christianity: 

"And Jesus asked his father, ?How long has this been happening to him?? And he said, ?From childhood. And it has often cast him into fire and into water, to destroy him. But if you can do anything, have compassion on us and help us.? And Jesus said to him, ??If you can?! All things are possible for one who believes.? - Mark 9.
[close]

eyeshaveit

What is doctrine?

Spoiler

"Doctrine is any belief or set of beliefs held and taught by a church, political party, or other group." - Google.

In the most fundamental sense, doctrine is any type of teaching; that of man or God:

"This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me; in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.? You leave the commandment of God and hold to the tradition of men.? - Mark 7 - the teaching of men.

"It is written in the Prophets, ?And they will all be taught by God." - John 6 - the teaching of God.
[close]

eyeshaveit

Explain the differences between cataphatic theology and apophatic theology?

Spoiler

"Cataphatic theology is theology that uses "positive" terminology to describe or refer to the divine ? specifically, God" - Wikipedia.

"Apophatic theology attempts to describe God in terms of what may not be said about the perfect goodness that is God" - Wikipedia.

The theology of affirmation (Greek: kataphatic - affirm} describes what God is: God is holy; God is good; etc.

The theology of negation (Greek: apophatic = deny) describes what God is not: God is infinite (not finite); God is immaterial (not material); etc.
Spoiler
[close]
[close]

eyeshaveit

What is "The Sinner's Prayer?

Spoiler

The Sinner's Prayer is an evangelical Christian term referring to any prayer of repentance, prayed by individuals who feel convicted of the presence of sin in their lives and have the desire to form or renew a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ ... It is not intended as liturgical like a creed ... but rather, is intended to be an act of initial conversion to Christianity" - Wikipedia.

Example:
"Dear Lord Jesus, I know that I am a sinner, and I ask for Your forgiveness. I believe You died for my sins and rose from the dead. I turn from my sins and invite You to come into my heart and life. I want to trust and follow You as my Lord and Savior. In Your Name. Amen" - Billy Graham.
[close]

eyeshaveit

Does the Holy Bible offer any grounds for divorce?

Spoiler

Two are mentioned,

1 - Adultery:

"But I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except on the ground of sexual immorality, makes her commit adultery, and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery." - Matthew 5.

2 - Intentional (beyond repair) separation by an unbelieving spouse:

"But if the unbelieving partner separates, let it be so. In such cases the brother or sister is not enslaved. God has called you to peace." - 1 Corinthians 7.
[close]

eyeshaveit

'The person of Jesus Christ is fully God and fully man.'

'The person of Jesus Christ is truly God and truly man.'

Which of the above statements (or both) is correct?

Spoiler

The word 'fully' imply 'one' nature. Jesus Christ has two natures; He is truly God and truly man.
[close]

eyeshaveit

"And Achan answered Joshua, ?Truly I have sinned against the Lord God of Israel, and this is what I did: when I saw among the spoil a beautiful cloak from Shinar, and 200 shekels of silver, and a bar of gold weighing 50 shekels, then I coveted them and took them. And see, they are hidden in the earth inside my tent, with the silver underneath.?" - Joshua 7.

If Julius Caesar 'came, saw and conquered', what did Achan do?

Spoiler

Achan 'saw, coveted, took and hid'.
[close]

eyeshaveit

What is the last link in the 'golden chain'; the Apostle Paul's order of salvation (ordo salutis) in Romans 8?

Spoiler

Glorification:

"And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified." - Romans 8.

"Glorification is the final stage of the ordo salutis ... It refers to the nature of believers after death and judgement, "the final step in the application of redemption." - Wikipedia.

The practical aspects of glorification include: no more sin, no more tears, no more death, etc.
[close]

eyeshaveit

Explain the difference of the 'formal principle' and the 'material principle' as they apply to the Scriptures?

Spoiler

The formal principle relates to the supremacy of Scripture.
The material principle relates to the substance of Scripture.

Christianity rests on these two principles: affirming both the authority of the Holy Bible and its content.
[close]

eyeshaveit

Did Judas Iscariot come to faith; only later to recant?

Spoiler

No, Judas was never 'reborn'.

"Jesus answered them, ?Did I not choose you, the twelve? And yet one of you is a devil.? He spoke of Judas the son of Simon Iscariot, for he, one of the twelve, was going to betray him." - John 6.
[close]

eyeshaveit

What are the three levels of Christian faith?

Spoiler

1 - Notei: Information, content, data.

2 - Assensus: Correct understanding of the information.

3 - Fiducia: Trust of and dependence on the information.
[close]

eyeshaveit

What is Amillennialism?

Spoiler

Amillennialism (no thousand years) refers to Revelation 20 and its six different mentions of 'a thousand years'. For example:

"Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven, holding in his hand the key to the bottomless pit and a great chain. And he seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years" - Revelation 20:1,2.

"And when the thousand years are ended, Satan will be released from his prison and will come out to deceive the nations that are at the four corners of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them for battle; their number is like the sand of the sea." - Revelation 20:7,8.

Amillennialists believe that this 'thousand years' is figurative and merely symbolic - and that it simply refers to the long period of time between Jesus' resurrection and his 'second coming'.

"Then another book was opened, which is the book of life. And the dead were judged by what was written in the books, according to what they had done." - Revelation 20:12b.
[close]

eyeshaveit

What is Pluralism?

Spoiler

"Pluralism is the acceptance of all religious paths as equally valid, promoting coexistence" - Wikipedia.

Pluralism is the assertion that all religions are fundamentally the same: as to knowing the truth about God; as to leading believers to God. And whether you are Mormon, Roman Catholic Storefront Baptist, etc., you are going to get the same bang for your eternal buck. Dogmatic Pluralism says that Christianity is no better than Wicca or Voodoo.

But should we really want to bet our eternal life on there being no God, or no sin, or judgment for sin?
[close]

eyeshaveit

The German philosopher and essayist, Gottfried Leibniz (1646 - 1716), described (what) three types of evil?

Spoiler

1 - Metaphysical Evil.
2 - Physical Evil.
3 - Moral Evil.
[close]

eyeshaveit

"We have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord ... bearing fruit in every good work ..." - Colossians 1.

What is a 'good work'?

Spoiler

"so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him" - Colossians 1.

A good work is anything pleasing to God.
[close]

eyeshaveit

What is the Glory of God?

Spoiler

1) There is intrinsic glory: God's revelation of his attributes; the completeness of God's perfection,

"Now the appearance of the glory of the Lord was like a devouring fire on the top of the mountain in the sight of the people of Israel." - Exodus 24.

"For the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord as the waters cover the sea." - Habakkuk 2.   

2) There is God?s ascribed glory: The glory, praise and honor that mankind owes to God,

"To him be glory forever. Amen." - Romans 11.

"To the King of ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen." - 1 Timothy 1.
[close]

eyeshaveit

What is the primary work of the Holy Spirit?

Spoiler

The principle work of the Holy Spirit is to glorify Jesus Christ.

[Jesus said,] "When the Spirit of truth comes ... He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you." - John 16.
[close]

eyeshaveit

Explain 'analogia entis'?

Spoiler

"Analogia entis is (the "analogy of being" ... It is the notion that the very being (entis) of the created world offers an analogy by which we can (in a very limited way) comprehend God. For example, if you've looked at a sunset and wondered that perhaps God is similarly beautiful, you've intuitively employed what theologians call the analogia entis." - Matthew J. Milliner.

Full discussion -
http://www.millinerd.com/2006/12/whos-afraid-of-analogia-entis.html
[close]

eyeshaveit

What is Reconciliation?

Spoiler

"Reconciliation, in Christian theology, is an element of salvation that refers to the results of atonement. Reconciliation is the end of the estrangement, caused by original sin, between God and humanity. John Calvin describes reconciliation as the peace between humanity and God that results from the expiation of religious sin and the propitiation of God's wrath" - Wikipedia.
[close]

eyeshaveit

How does Chapter 10 of Daniel prove that God hears and answers prayers?

Spoiler

"I have been sent to you ... Fear not, Daniel, for from the first day that you set your heart to understand and humbled yourself before your God, your words have been heard, and I have come because of your words." - Daniel 10: 11,12.

A messenger, an Angel had come to Daniel, in answer to his prayers. Read the whole of Chapter 10 for more understanding.
[close]