News:

New members, please say hello to the forum in the Introductions board!

Main Menu

Christian Doctrine - Pop Quiz.

Started by eyeshaveit, August 23, 2016, 10:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyeshaveit

"Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience" - Colossians 3:12.

Why is Paul, in his letter to the Colossians,  using the Doctrine of Election, as an urgent request, that Christians should be 'compassionate, kind, humble meek and patient' to [love] others?

Spoiler
"Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive" - Colossians 3:12-13.
[close]
Jesus Christ died so you could have access to God.

eyeshaveit

Is God's sovereignty ever limited by man's freedom?

Spoiler
No - Almighty God would not be sovereign if he were limited by anyone/anything.
[close]

composer

Quote from: eyeshaveit on December 28, 2016, 09:57:28 AM
"Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience" - Colossians 3:12.
||think||

I must be a chosen one!

||popcorn||
Your alleged gods are very bad god persons, I am offering them the chance to become good god persons for the very first time, but only after they admit they are bad god persons and want to try again.

eyeshaveit

Does Jesus Christ deserve to be worshiped?

Spoiler
Of course: his name "is above every name", and "at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth", "and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord",

"Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." - Philippians 2.
[close]

composer

Quote from: eyeshaveit on December 30, 2016, 06:58:12 AM
Does Jesus Christ deserve to be worshiped?
||think||

If you wish to worship this Historical MYTH, then that is your irrational decision!

||popcorn||
Your alleged gods are very bad god persons, I am offering them the chance to become good god persons for the very first time, but only after they admit they are bad god persons and want to try again.

eyeshaveit

Are Christians first 'saved by grace', but then do they have to 'work' to preserve their salvation?

Spoiler
No, a Christian's sin is neither an obstacle to his redemption's nor its completion. No sin is that mighty or powerful enough to overcome God's grace:

"I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy, because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now. And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ." - Philippians 1.
[close]

composer

Quote from: eyeshaveit on December 31, 2016, 08:31:49 AM
Are Christians first 'saved by grace', but then do they have to 'work' to preserve their salvation?

Spoiler
No, a Christian's sin is neither an obstacle to his redemption's nor its completion. No sin is that mighty or powerful enough to overcome God's grace:

"I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy, because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now. And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ." - Philippians 1.
[close]
||think||

There are NO genuine christians, only those that falsely claim to be, 1 John 3:6 alone proves that!

||popcorn||

eyeshaveit

The United States of America provides for 'separation of church and state' in which of the following documents,

The United States Declaration of Independence?

The Constitution of the United States of America?

The United States Bill of Rights?

Spoiler
None of the above
[close]

eyeshaveit

What is a kairotic moment

Spoiler
"Kairos (??????) is an ancient Greek word meaning the right or opportune moment (the 'supreme moment'). The ancient Greeks had two words for time: Greek: ?????? (chronos) and kairos. While the former refers to chronological or sequential time, the latter signifies a period or season, a moment of indeterminate time in which an event of significance happens." - Wikipedia.

"In the New Testament, "kairos" means "the appointed time in the purpose of God", the time when God acts ... "Kairos" is used 86 times in the New Testament." - Wikipedia.

A kairotic moment is a nexus; a crucial occurrence; a pivotal moment that overflows with meaning: The Exodus; the birth of Christ; the Last Supper were/are all kairiotic moments,

"So they were seeking to arrest him, but no one laid a hand on him, because his hour [Kairos] had not yet come." - John 7.
[close]

eyeshaveit

Who was the U.S. State of Virginia named after?

1 - The Virgin Mary?

2 - Queen Elizabeth?

3 - Virginia Dare, the first English child born in the British colonies in the New World?

Spoiler
Elizabeth 1, of England, the Virgin Queen.
[close]

eyeshaveit

Describe the series of steps that comprised Simon Peter's downfall, on the night Jesus was arrested in Gethsemane?

Spoiler

Verses taken from the Book of Matthew.

Boasting:
"Peter answered him, ?Though they all fall away because of you, I will never fall away.?" - verse 33.

Denial:
"Peter said to him, ?Even if I must die with you, I will not deny you!?" - verse 35.

Lack of prayer:
"And he said to Peter, ?And he came to the disciples and found them sleeping. "So, could you not watch with me one hour? Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation."" - verses 40 - 41.

Recklessness:
"And behold, one of those who were with Jesus stretched out his hand and drew his sword and struck the servant of the high priest and cut off his ear." - verse 51.

Run away:
"Then all the disciples left him and fled." - verse 56.

Collapse:
"And Peter remembered the saying of Jesus, ?Before the rooster crows, you will deny me three times.? And he went out and wept bitterly." - verse 75.
[close]

eyeshaveit

In the Gospel of John the word 'world' is presented, as having at least 10 different definitions. How many do you know?

Spoiler
1 - The entire universe - John 17:5.

2 - The earth - John 13:1.

3 - Humankind minus believers - John 7:7.

4 - Humankind - John 3:16.

5 - Ordinary people - John 7:4.

6 - The world system - John 12:31.

7 - A crowd of people - John 12:19.

8 - A crowd of both Jews and Gentiles - John 1:29.

9 - The Elect - John 3:17.

10 - The Non-Elect - John 17:9.

?For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16.
[close]

eyeshaveit

What is the primary work of the Holy Spirit?

Spoiler
The primary work of the Holy Spirit is to glorify the Lord Jesus Christ:

"When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you." - John 16.
[close]

eyeshaveit

List as many as you can of the thirty-nine categories of work forbidden to Jews on the Sabbath.

Spoiler

Sowing
Plowing
Reaping
Binding Sheaves
Threshing
Winnowing
Selecting
Grinding
Sifting
Kneading
Baking

Shearing Wool
Cleaning
Combing
Dyeing
Spinning
Stretching the Threads
Making Loops
Weaving Threads
Separating the Threads
Tying a Knot
Untying a Knot
Sewing
Tearing

Trapping
Slaughtering
Skinning
Tanning
Smoothing
Ruling Lines
Cutting

Writing
Erasing

Building
Breaking Down

Extinguishing a Fire
Kindling a Fire
Striking the Final Hammer Blow
Carrying
[close]

eyeshaveit

How many of the key beliefs, of Israel's first century Pharisees, do you know?

Spoiler
The conservative Pharisees were vigilant keepers of the Mosaic Law.

They believed in gaining merit by keeping the Law.

They believed that God would deliver Israel.

Pharisees believed in an afterlife.

And a resurrection of the body.

Pharisees believed in the immortality of the soul.

They believed in Angels and Spirits.

The Pharisees floated between the Essenes (predestination) and the Sadducees (free will). Pharisees  believed in predestination, but according to Josephus, 'Pharisees insisted that the decision to do good or evil lies with man'. 

[close]

eyeshaveit

Who said, "Can a mortal ask questions which God finds unanswerable? Quite easily, I should think. All nonsense questions are unanswerable."

Spoiler
C. S. Lewis
[close]

eyeshaveit

Provide scriptural proof that the Apostle Peter plainly believed that the Holy Spirit was a personality (God) and not just a supernatural force?

Spoiler
Acts 5:3,4: "But Peter said, ?Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit ... You have not lied to man but to God.?

[close]

eyeshaveit

What is 'modalism'

Spoiler
"Modalism is the doctrine that the persons of the Trinity represent only three modes or aspects of the divine revelation, not distinct and coexisting persons in the divine nature." - Google.

Modalism proclaims a God, who wears different 'hats' at different times: Father (pre-incarnation hat); Son (incarnation hat); Holy Spirit (post resurrection hat).

The Holy Bible does not perform 'hat tricks':

"The LORD says to my Lord: ?Sit at my right hand, until I make your enemies your footstool.? The LORD sends forth from Zion your mighty scepter. Rule in the midst of your enemies!" - Psalm 110.

"And Jesus came and said to them, ?All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.?" - Matthew 28.

[close]

eyeshaveit

"Behold, the wicked man conceives evil and is pregnant with mischief and gives birth to lies. He makes a pit, digging it out, and falls into the hole that he has made. His mischief returns upon his own head, and on his own skull his violence descends." - Psalm 7.

How does 'evil' sow the seeds of its own ruination?

Spoiler
1 - Liars are lied to.

2 - Haters are hated.

3 - Swindlers are swindled.

4 - Deceivers are deceived.

5 - Double-crossers are double-crossed, etc.
[close]

eyeshaveit

What are 'The Standing Orders of the Gospel'?

Spoiler
"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." - 1 Thessalonians 5.

1 - "Rejoice always", as in 'always'; not sometimes.

2 - "Pray without ceasing", as in 'without ceasing'; not occasionally.

3 - "Give thanks in all circumstances", as in 'all circumstances'; not just when you are in the mood.

"For this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you"
[close]

eyeshaveit

Which of the Lord's Apostles "walked on water"?

Spoiler
Peter:

"And in the fourth watch of the night he came to them, walking on the sea. But when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were terrified, and said, ?It is a ghost!? and they cried out in fear. But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, ?Take heart; it is I. Do not be afraid.? And Peter answered him, ?Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.? He said, ?Come.? So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus." - Matthew 14.
[close]

eyeshaveit

Which Bible verses best illustrate the contrast between the union of unbelievers with Adam, and the union of believers with Jesus Christ?

Spoiler
"For as by a man came death, by a man has come also the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive." - 1 Corinthians 15.
[close]

composer

Quote from: eyeshaveit on January 18, 2017, 11:12:47 AM
Which of the Lord's Apostles "walked on water"?

Spoiler
Peter:

"And in the fourth watch of the night he came to them, walking on the sea. But when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were terrified, and said, ?It is a ghost!? and they cried out in fear. But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, ?Take heart; it is I. Do not be afraid.? And Peter answered him, ?Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.? He said, ?Come.? So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus." - Matthew 14.
[close]
||think||

Perhaps you believe DYNAMO is a modern day apostle?

http://isgodimaginary.com/forum/index.php/topic,62791.msg823893.html#msg823893

||popcorn||

eyeshaveit

Peter Jones and Mark Driscoll often preach of 'One-ism versus Two-ism'; what's that all about?

Spoiler

One-ism, meaning that everything (all creation) is one, including God.

Two-ism, meaning that God and his creation are separate and distinct.
[close]

eyeshaveit

Can Satan's evil wiles separate a Christian from God's grace?

Spoiler
No.
[close]

eyeshaveit

Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel, a German philosopher, believed that all religions progressed through what four forms or phases?

Spoiler
Animism, Polytheism, Henotheism, and lastly Monotheism
[close]

eyeshaveit

What is a 'self-referential absurdity'?

Spoiler
An application of a truth claim that refutes what is being claimed:

Truth claims, such as there are no absolutes, or that it is wrong to make moral judgments of any sort. Such commonly offered truth claims contradict themselves.

John Frame offers several different types of Self-Refuting Statements:
http://frame-poythress.org/self-refuting-statements/
[close]

eyeshaveit

What is the biblical foundation for the sanctity and dignity of all human life?

Spoiler
Man was created in God's image:

"Then God said, ?Let us make man in our image, after our likeness ... So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them." - Genesis 1.

"The Spirit of God has made me, and the breath of the Almighty gives me life." - Job 33.

"Know that the Lord, he is God! It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people" - Psalm 100.

"You have heard that it was said to those of old, ?You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgment.? But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ?You fool!? will be liable to the hell of fire." - Matthew 5.
[close]

Teaspoon Shallow

Yet he kills King David's baby to teach David a lesson. (2 Samuel 12)  Where is the sanctity in that action?

Fetuses to be terminated by rituals, incantations and curses if a wife may have had another partner other than her husband.  (Numbers 5:11-22)  Where is the sanctity in that action?

I will have no compassion, even though he thrives among his brothers. An east wind from the Lord will come, blowing in from the desert; his spring will fail and his well dry up. His storehouse will be plundered of all its treasures.
16 The people of Samaria must bear their guilt, because they have rebelled against their God. They will fall by the sword; their little ones will be dashed to the ground, their pregnant women ripped open.  (Hosea 13:15-16) Where is the sanctity in that action?

When examined as a whole,  I don't think the few cherry picked passages make the barbaric more palatable.  Keep the good, get rid of the bad.   Shame religious dogma shackles you from doing that.

"If I could stop a person from raping a child, I would.    That's the difference between me and your God." Tracie Harris

composer

Quote from: Teaspoon Shallow on January 25, 2017, 09:42:36 AM
Yet he kills King David's baby to teach David a lesson. (2 Samuel 12)  Where is the sanctity in that action?

Fetuses to be terminated by rituals, incantations and curses if a wife may have had another partner other than her husband.  (Numbers 5:11-22)  Where is the sanctity in that action?

Story book hypocrisy abounds again, e.g. Mary we are told had another partner that allegedly made her pregnant with the little narcissistic bastard jebus, but instead of it being killed according to Numb. 5:11-12, this Story book God(s) contradicts its own laws and rewards jebus & as for trinitarians, it rewards itself!

||popcorn||