News:

Are you in the IGI Yearbook?

Main Menu

Christian Doctrine - Pop Quiz.

Started by eyeshaveit, August 23, 2016, 10:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyeshaveit

"I consider the government of the US. as interdicted by the Constitution from intermeddling with religious institutions, their doctrines, discipline, or exercises ... Certainly no power to prescribe any religious exercise, or to assume authority in religious discipline, has been delegated to the general government ... But it is only proposed that I should recommend, not prescribe a day of fasting & prayer. That is, that I should indirectly assume to the U. S. an authority over religious exercises which the Constitution has directly precluded them from ... civil powers alone have been given to the President of the US. and no authority to direct the religious exercises of his constituents."

What U.S. President is quoted above; explaining his hesitancy to proclaim a national day of Thanksgiving?

Spoiler
Thomas Jefferson, is quoted, from a letter dated January 23, 1808, to the Reverend Samuel Miller. Jefferson was averse to any federal regulations to be imposed upon any religious activities, including "fasting and prayer" and Thanksgiving. Jefferson thought that these things, if needed, to be best left up to the individual states.
[close]
Jesus Christ died so you could have access to God.

eyeshaveit

"The most extensive catalog of the world?s languages, generally taken to be as authoritative as any, is that of Ethnologue (published by SIL International), whose detailed classified list as of 2009 included 6,909 distinct languages." - Linguistic Society of America.

How many of these almost 7,000 languages are blessed with a translation of a Holy Bible?

Spoiler
"As of 2009, at least a portion of the bible had been translated into 2,508 different languages" - Linguistic Society of America.

Of the 2,508 different languages, it is estimated that the complete Bible has been translated into about 400 distinct languages, and the complete New Testament has been rendered in another 1,000 additional languages. - These figures are taken from the notes of a talk given by Hantz Bernard, the man who translated the Bible into the Haiti Creole language.
[close]

eyeshaveit

"I, John, your brother and partner in the tribulation and the kingdom and the patient endurance that are in Jesus, was on the island called Patmos" - Revelation 1:9.

What were the two reasons that the Apostle John found himself on the Isle of Patmos?

Spoiler
1 - "On account of the word of God" - The world rejects God's word: as a model and a measure for morality.

2 - "The testimony of Jesus" - The world rejects Jesus Christ as a unique Savior: and the only channel for pardon and forgiveness of sins and the 'gate and path' to eternal life.

"I, John, your brother and partner in the tribulation and the kingdom and the patient endurance that are in Jesus, was on the island called Patmos on account of the word of God and the testimony of Jesus." - Revelation 1:9.

[close]

eyeshaveit

Legalism is a "dependence on moral law rather than on personal religious faith" - Google.

Legalism is found mostly in response to what Christian doctrine?

Spoiler
The Doctrine of Justification by Faith Alone:

"For we hold that one is justified by faith apart from works of the law." - Romans 3.

"We ourselves are Jews by birth and not Gentile sinners; yet we know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified." - Galatians 2.

[close]

kevin

what do christians believe about becoming perfect in this life, on this earth?

Spoiler
The Eighth Proposition
Concerning Perfection.

In whom this holy and pure birth is fully brought forth the body of death and sin comes to be crucified and removed, and their hearts united and subjected unto the truth, so as not to obey any suggestion or temptation of the evil one, but to be free from actual sinning, and transgressing the law of God, and in that respect perfect.

Yet doth this perfection still admit of a growth; and there remaineth a possibility of sinning, where the mind doth not most diligently and watchfully attend unto the Lord.
[close]
may you bathe i the blood of a thousand sheep

Francis

Quote from: kevin on November 27, 2016, 06:54:48 PM
what do christians believe about becoming perfect in this life, on this earth?

Spoiler
The Eighth Proposition
Concerning Perfection.

In whom this holy and pure birth is fully brought forth the body of death and sin comes to be crucified and removed, and their hearts united and subjected unto the truth, so as not to obey any suggestion or temptation of the evil one, but to be free from actual sinning, and transgressing the law of God, and in that respect perfect.

Yet doth this perfection still admit of a growth; and there remaineth a possibility of sinning, where the mind doth not most diligently and watchfully attend unto the Lord.
[close]

My personal understanding of what it means to become perfect in the Bible... or in becoming perfect in this life... on this earth... lines up perfectly with this entry from Wikipedia:

The terms "perfect" and "perfection" are drawn from the Greek teleios and telei?sis, respectively. The root word, telos, means an "end" or "goal". In contemporary translations, teleios and telei?sis are often rendered as "mature" and "maturity", respectively, so as not to imply infallibility or the absence of defects. Rather, in the Christian tradition, telei?sis has referred to progressing towards spiritual wholeness or health.

That is how I have always understood what the Bible was talking about when it teaches about becoming perfect in this life.

Respectfully

kevin

another expression of the idea:

QuoteEarly Quakers, like many other Christians before them, understood that the transformation to which they were called led to a state of spiritual maturity called Perfection. It was a state of being able to live perfectly in accordance with God?s will, without any resistance or sin. Friends recognized that people are given different ?measures? of the light, and that there are degrees of perfection. As one is faithful to the measure one has received, more is given. Perfection is not a static state. One can fall out of that condition; once in it, one can continue to grow, endlessly.
may you bathe i the blood of a thousand sheep

eyeshaveit

What is the difference between a 'prophet' and a 'priest'?

Spoiler
It is a matter of vertical directions, up or down: a prophet is "one who utters divinely [downward] inspired revelations", and a priest is "a mediatory agent [upward] between humans and God"

Definitions courtesy of Meriam-Webster Dictionary.
[close]

eyeshaveit

What is the extent of mankind's responsibility to maintain the purity of God's Word?

Spoiler
The Bible has a great deal to say, including:

"You shall not add to the word that I command you, nor take from it, that you may keep the commandments of the Lord your God that I command you." - Deuteronomy 4.

"Everything that I command you, you shall be careful to do. You shall not add to it or take from it." - Deuteronomy 12.

"Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. Do not add to his words, lest he rebuke you and you be found a liar." - Proverbs 30.

"Thus says the Lord: Stand in the court of the Lord's house, and speak to all the cities of Judah that come to worship in the house of the Lord all the words that I command you to speak to them; do not hold back a word." - Jeremiah 26.

"I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book, and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book." - Revelation 22.
[close]

eyeshaveit

Which of the following statements are true?

1 - "God's choices are all perfect, so there could not have been a better choice than Adam."

2 - "No human being can meet the standards set by Jesus' "Sermon on the Mount"."

3 - "The will of God is a divine hinge; on and about which all life swings."

4 - "The world has no use for an unholy church."

Spoiler
They are all true.
[close]

eyeshaveit

"Fundamentalism usually has a religious connotation that indicates unwavering attachment to a set of irreducible beliefs" - Wikipedia.

What are the five 'Fundamentals of the Faith' that came out of the Niagara Bible Conference in the late nineteenth century?

Spoiler
1 - The Inspiration / Infallibility of the Bible.

2 - The Virgin Birth.

3 - Christ's Substitutionary Atonement.

4 - Christ's Bodily Resurrection.

5 - The Deity / Miracles of Christ.

Baptists denominations have added a sixth fundamental to the list: The Second Coming of Christ.
[close]

eyeshaveit

"At the present time there exist upon the earth five races or varieties of man, each very different from the other in instincts, social customs, and, to an extent, in structure. These are the Ethiopian or negro type, originating in Africa; the Malay or brown race, from the islands of the Pacific; the American Indian; the Mongolian or yellow race, including the natives of China, Japan, and the Eskimos; and finally, the highest race type of all, the Caucasians, represented by the civilized white inhabitants of Europe and America" - George William Hunter - "A Civic Biology: Presented in Problems" - 1914.

The above excerpt, was one of not a few quotes, that sparked a storm, and became a cause celebre, that put organized religion in the spotlight of what famous law trial?

Spoiler
"The Scopes Trial, formally known as The State of Tennessee v. John Thomas Scopes and commonly referred to as the Scopes Monkey Trial, was an American legal case in 1925 in which a substitute high school teacher, John Scopes, was accused of violating Tennessee's Butler Act, which had made it unlawful to teach human evolution in any state-funded school. The trial was deliberately staged to attract publicity to the small town of Dayton, Tennessee, where it was held. Scopes was unsure whether he had ever actually taught evolution, but he purposely incriminated himself so that the case could have a defendant.

Scopes was found guilty and fined $100 (equivalent to $1,352 in 2015), but the verdict was overturned on a technicality. The trial served its purpose of drawing intense national publicity, as national reporters flocked to Dayton to cover the big-name lawyers who had agreed to represent each side. William Jennings Bryan, three-time presidential candidate, argued for the prosecution, while Clarence Darrow, the famed defense attorney, spoke for Scopes. The trial publicized the Fundamentalist?Modernist Controversy, which set Modernists, who said evolution was not inconsistent with religion, against Fundamentalists, who said the word of God as revealed in the Bible took priority over all human knowledge. The case was thus seen as both a theological contest and a trial on whether "modern science" should be taught in schools" - Wikipedia.
[close]

eyeshaveit

The prohibition against unlawful killing, "Thou shalt not kill", and one of the Ten Commandments (God's moral law within Exodus and Deuteronomy), is commonly cited, in litigation, for the repeal of the death penalty. Why are such references often an oxymoron?   

Spoiler
Because execution, for murder, was a part of the creation covenant that God gave to Noah:   

"From his fellow man I will require a reckoning for the life of man. ?Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed, for God made man in his own image."" - Genesis 9.
[close]

eyeshaveit

"The Humanist Manifesto is the title of three manifestos laying out a Humanist worldview. They are the original Humanist Manifesto (1933, often referred to as Humanist Manifesto I), the Humanist Manifesto II (1973), and Humanism and Its Aspirations (2003, a.k.a. Humanist Manifesto III)." - Google.

How has the Humanist Manifesto changed over the years?

Spoiler

"The first Manifesto [1933] talked of a new "religion", and referred to Humanism as a religious movement to transcend and replace previous religions based on allegations of supernatural revelation. The document outlines a fifteen-point belief system, which, in addition to a secular outlook, opposes "acquisitive and profit-motivated society" and outlines a worldwide egalitarian society based on voluntary mutual cooperation"

"The second Manifesto [1973] ... begins with a statement that the excesses of Nazism and World War II had made the first seem "far too optimistic", and indicated a more hardheaded and realistic approach in its seventeen-point statement, which was much longer and more elaborate than the previous version"

"The third Manifesto [2003] ... listed seven primary themes, which echo those from its predecessors:
Knowledge of the world is derived by observation, experimentation, and rational analysis.
Humans are an integral part of nature, the result of evolutionary change, an unguided process.
Ethical values are derived from human need and interest as tested by experience.
Life?s fulfillment emerges from individual participation in the service of humane ideals.
Humans are social by nature and find meaning in relationships.
Working to benefit society maximizes individual happiness.
Respect for differing yet humane views in an open, secular, democratic, environmentally sustainable society."

All above citations - Wikipedia.

Notice, that over the seventy years, these humanists have 'lost' their 1933 religion, to become strictly secular in 2003.
[close]

eyeshaveit

The Upper Room; Passover Week in Jerusalem - why did Christ choose 'bread and wine' instead of 'lamb and wine' to launch and commence the sacrament of the Lord's Supper?

Spoiler
Both bread and lamb were on the Passover table, but Jesus Christ choose the bread to illustrate that his death would be a permanent sacrifice; his blood would be the last to be shed as an offering for sin.

Jesus "took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, ?This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.?" - Luke 22.
[close]

GratefulApe

Quote from: eyeshaveit on December 06, 2016, 09:19:11 AM
The Upper Room; Passover Week in Jerusalem - why did Christ choose 'bread and wine' instead of 'lamb and wine' to launch and commence the sacrament of the Lord's Supper?

Spoiler
Both bread and lamb were on the Passover table, but Jesus Christ choose the bread to illustrate that his death would be a permanent sacrifice; his blood would be the last to be shed as an offering for sin.

Jesus "took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, ?This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.?" - Luke 22.
[close]
The unleavened bread represented his sinless life. He chose the wine to represent the permanent sacrifice as it represented the last and perfect blood sacrifice.

eyeshaveit

What are the differences between the New Testament 'Gospels' and the 'Epistles'?

Spoiler
The four gospels are a narrative; they tell us the story. The twenty-one epistles are a teaching tool; they instruct and guide us through the nuances of the story.
[close]

eyeshaveit

Montesquieu separated human government into what three categories?

Spoiler
1 - Tyranny - dictatorship - based on fear.

2 - Monarchy - hereditary - based on honor.

3 - Democracy - representative - based on virtue.
[close]

?Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you." - Exodus 20.

Which type of government is best suited to the office of parenting?

Spoiler
Monarchy with children submitting to their parents.
[close]

eyeshaveit

John Calvin wrote of what 'four things that belong to God himself'?

Spoiler
1 - Adoration.

2 - Trust.

3 - Invocation.

4 - Thanksgiving.
[close]

eyeshaveit

"In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters." - Genesis 1.

God's story continued, with what being His first act of creation?

Spoiler
Light, glorious light:

"And God said, ?Let there be light,? and there was light. And God saw that the light was good. And God separated the light from the darkness." - Genesis 1.
[close]

eyeshaveit

The Apostle Paul?s Letter to the Romans, chapters 1 to 11 contains 315 verses. In how many of these verses does Paul instruct and command the reader to act; to do something?

For example: "Do not present your members to sin as instruments for unrighteousness, but present yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life, and your members to God as instruments for righteousness." - Romans 6:13.

How many imperatives does the Apostle Paul present us with in those 300 plus verses?

Two?

Seven?

Twenty-seven?

Seventy-seven?

Spoiler
Only seven: Romans 6:12; 6:13; 6:19; 10:4; 11:18; 11:20; 11:22.

Paul commits the other 308 verses to glorify God; to narrate what God has done. The beginning of Romans and the dominant focus of the Bible is not to instruct, but to glorify, praise and extend honor to the Creator, the Lord of Heaven and Earth.
[close]

eyeshaveit

What are the three promises of hope, proclaimed by God in the Book of Genesis?

Spoiler
1 - Dominion and procreation:

"Then God said, ?Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.? So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. And God blessed them. And God said to them, ?Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it, and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.?" - Genesis 1:26-28.

2 - Conquest of mankind's enemy:

""I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heel.?" - Genesis 3:15.

3 - Blessings through Abraham's seed:

"Now the Lord said to Abram, ?Go from your country and your kindred and your father's house to the land that I will show you. And I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and him who dishonors you I will curse, and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.?" - Genesis 12:1-3.
[close]

eyeshaveit

Is there no justice on earth? Why did Jesus Christ have to die? Why did he who had no sin experience death?

Spoiler
All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself ... For our sake he made him [Christ] to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. - 2 Corinthians 5.
[close]

eyeshaveit

Does the Holy Bible have Jesus of Nazareth talking more about Heaven or Hell?

Spoiler
Hell, it's not even close.
[close]

eyeshaveit

Why should followers of Christ study the Bible'?

Spoiler
Because it is a serious responsibility and necessary to further your relationship with God, by carefully considering his Word:

"The Lord our God, the Lord is one. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise" - Deuteronomy 6.
[close]

eyeshaveit

How do Adam and Noah match up in the Bible?

Spoiler
Adam and Noah both walked with God; each receiving the Lord's promise and blessing.

Both sinned with fruit: Adam, disobeying God and eating of "the tree of the knowledge of good and evil"; Noah, "planted a vineyard. He drank of the wine and became drunk and lay uncovered in his tent"

Both were caretakers of the animals: they came to Adam to be named; they came to to Noah to be saved.

Adam and Noah both were farmers and tillers of the soil.

Adam and Noah each fathered three sons, with one of them each (Cain and Ham) being wicked and coming under a curse.

Quotes - Genesis ESV Version.
[close]

eyeshaveit

What are the two most common complaints that unbelievers express about God's Word?

Spoiler
1 - They say that the Bible is not relevant in a modern world.

2 - They say that the Bible lacks clarity; it is too difficult to understand.
[close]

eyeshaveit

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God." - Hebrews 12.

What was "the joy that was set before him" as Jesus looked forward to enduring "the cross"?

Spoiler
Jesus Christ's great pleasure to do God's will; concerning his atoning work (the reparation for sin) on the cross.
[close]

eyeshaveit

How was Jesus' glory on display during his years on earth?

Spoiler
Christ's glory was revealed: in his Miracles; during his Transfiguration; by his work on the Cross; through his Resurrection and at his Ascension
[close]

composer

Quote from: eyeshaveit on December 13, 2016, 08:51:08 AM
Is there no justice on earth? Why did Jesus Christ have to die? Why did he who had no sin experience death?

Spoiler
All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself ... For our sake he made him [Christ] to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. - 2 Corinthians 5.
[close]
||think||

1. Your Story book is not only founded upon MYTHS (e.g. Prov. 30:25 & 30) but is also founded upon self-contradiction, e.g. -

2. Rom. 3:23

||popcorn||
Your alleged gods are very bad god persons, I am offering them the chance to become good god persons for the very first time, but only after they admit they are bad god persons and want to try again.