News:

IGI has a myspace page.  Please add us if you're a myspace fiend!

Main Menu

Christian Doctrine - Pop Quiz.

Started by eyeshaveit, August 23, 2016, 10:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

composer

Quote from: eyeshaveit on November 02, 2016, 07:36:15 AM
Quote from: composer on November 01, 2016, 11:55:02 PM
Law of Causality = Man made fabricated excuse & self-contradiction for their fallible principle that everything must have a cause Oops! (ahem) EXCEPT their imaginary God(s)! LMAO@U & Co.

Sleight of hand gets you naught except an invoice and demand for dues from the Royal Society of Vanishing Magicians' Union.  ||Kerly||
||think||

Your God(s) fail you so you introduce magic!

No doubt if there were a biblical jebus, it performed magic tricks pretending they were from a God(s)!

||popcorn||
Your alleged gods are very bad god persons, I am offering them the chance to become good god persons for the very first time, but only after they admit they are bad god persons and want to try again.

eyeshaveit

"The intertestamental period is the Protestant term ... for the gap of time between the period covered by the Hebrew Bible [canon] and the period covered by the Christian New Testament." - Google.

The "intertestamental period" was a gap of how many years? And that interval of time was positioned between what two prophets; both proclaimers of God's salvation?

Spoiler
1 - The intertestamental period "is considered to cover roughly four hundred years"

2 - It spans "the [prophetic] ministry of Malachi (c. 420 BC) to the appearance of John the Baptist in the early 1st century AD ... It is known by members of the Protestant community as the "400 Silent Years" because it is believed to have been a span where God revealed nothing new to his people"

Above two quotes from Wikipedia.

?For behold, the day is coming, burning like an oven, when all the arrogant and all evildoers will be stubble. The day that is coming shall set them ablaze, says the Lord of hosts, so that it will leave them neither root nor branch. But for you who fear my name, the sun of righteousness shall rise with healing in its wings. You shall go out leaping like calves from the stall. And you shall tread down the wicked, for they will be ashes under the soles of your feet, on the day when I act, says the Lord of hosts. ?Remember the law of my servant Moses, the statutes and rules that I commanded him at Horeb for all Israel. ?Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the great and awesome day of the Lord comes. And he will turn the hearts of fathers to their children and the hearts of children to their fathers, lest I come and strike the land with a decree of utter destruction.? - Malachi 4.

"In those days John the Baptist came preaching in the wilderness of Judea, ?Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.?" - Matthew 3.
[close]
Jesus Christ died so you could have access to God.

kevin

what do christians think of the Saving and Spiritual Light, wherewith every man is enlightened?

Spoiler
The Fifth Proposition

According to which principle (or hypothesis), all the objections against the universality of Christ's death are easily solved; neither is it needful to recur to the ministry of angels, and those other miraculous means, which, they say, God makes use of, to manifest the doctrine and history of Christ's passion unto such, who, living in those places of the world where the outward preaching of the gospel is unknown, have well improved the first and common grace; for hence it well follows, that as some of the old philosophers might have been saved, so also may now some--who by providence are cast into those remote parts of the world, where knowledge of the history is wanting--be made partakers of the divine mystery, if they receive and resist not that grace, "a manifestation whereof is given to every man to profit withal."   

This certain doctrine then being received, to wit: that there is an evangelical and saving light and grace in all, the universality of the love and mercy of God towards mankind--both in the death of his beloved Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, and in the manifestation of the light in the heart--is established and confirmed against the objections of those who deny it.   

Therefore "Christ hath tasted death for every man:" not only for all kinds of men, as some vainly talk, but for every one, of all kinds; the benefit of whose offering is not only extended to such, who have the distinct outward knowledge of his death and sufferings, as the same is declared in the scriptures, but even unto those who are necessarily excluded from the benefit of this knowledge by some inevitable accident; which knowledge we willingly confess to be very profitable and comfortable, but not absolutely needful to such, from whom God himself hath withheld it; yet they may be made partakers of the mystery of his death--though ignorant of the history--if they suffer his seed and light--enlightening their hearts--to take place; in which light, communion with the Father and Son is enjoined, so as of wicked men to become holy, and lovers of that power, by whose inward and secret touches they feel themselves turned from the evil to the good, and learn to do to others as they would be done by; in which Christ himself affirms all to be included.   

As they then have falsely and erroneously taught, who have denied Christ to have died for all men; so neither have they sufficiently taught the truth, who affirming him to have died for all, have added the absolute necessity of outward knowledge thereof, in order to the obtaining its saving effect; among whom the Remonstrants of Holland have been chiefly wanting, and many other asserters of Universal Redemption, in that they have not placed the extent of this salvation in that divine and evangelical principle of light and life, wherewith Christ enlighteneth every man that comes in to the world, which is excellently and evidently held forth in these scriptures, Gen, vi, 3. Deut. xxx. 14. John i. 7, 8, 9. Rom. x. 8. Tit. ii.11.
[close]
may you bathe i the blood of a thousand sheep

composer

Quote from: kevin on November 04, 2016, 11:41:10 PM
what do christians think of the Saving and Spiritual Light, wherewith every man is enlightened?

Spoiler
The Fifth Proposition

According to which principle (or hypothesis), all the objections against the universality of Christ's death are easily solved; neither is it needful to recur to the ministry of angels, and those other miraculous means, which, they say, God makes use of, to manifest the doctrine and history of Christ's passion unto such, who, living in those places of the world where the outward preaching of the gospel is unknown, have well improved the first and common grace; for hence it well follows, that as some of the old philosophers might have been saved, so also may now some--who by providence are cast into those remote parts of the world, where knowledge of the history is wanting--be made partakers of the divine mystery, if they receive and resist not that grace, "a manifestation whereof is given to every man to profit withal."   

This certain doctrine then being received, to wit: that there is an evangelical and saving light and grace in all, the universality of the love and mercy of God towards mankind--both in the death of his beloved Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, and in the manifestation of the light in the heart--is established and confirmed against the objections of those who deny it.   

Therefore "Christ hath tasted death for every man:" not only for all kinds of men, as some vainly talk, but for every one, of all kinds; the benefit of whose offering is not only extended to such, who have the distinct outward knowledge of his death and sufferings, as the same is declared in the scriptures, but even unto those who are necessarily excluded from the benefit of this knowledge by some inevitable accident; which knowledge we willingly confess to be very profitable and comfortable, but not absolutely needful to such, from whom God himself hath withheld it; yet they may be made partakers of the mystery of his death--though ignorant of the history--if they suffer his seed and light--enlightening their hearts--to take place; in which light, communion with the Father and Son is enjoined, so as of wicked men to become holy, and lovers of that power, by whose inward and secret touches they feel themselves turned from the evil to the good, and learn to do to others as they would be done by; in which Christ himself affirms all to be included.   

As they then have falsely and erroneously taught, who have denied Christ to have died for all men; so neither have they sufficiently taught the truth, who affirming him to have died for all, have added the absolute necessity of outward knowledge thereof, in order to the obtaining its saving effect; among whom the Remonstrants of Holland have been chiefly wanting, and many other asserters of Universal Redemption, in that they have not placed the extent of this salvation in that divine and evangelical principle of light and life, wherewith Christ enlighteneth every man that comes in to the world, which is excellently and evidently held forth in these scriptures, Gen, vi, 3. Deut. xxx. 14. John i. 7, 8, 9. Rom. x. 8. Tit. ii.11.
[close]
||think||

As their own propaganda proves, there are NO genuine xtians, only those that ' claim to be ' (1 John 3:6) Story book

QED

||popcorn||
Your alleged gods are very bad god persons, I am offering them the chance to become good god persons for the very first time, but only after they admit they are bad god persons and want to try again.

eyeshaveit

List the salient political movements existing in Israel in the early First Century AD?

Spoiler
1 - The Herodians.

2 - The Sadducees.

3 - The Pharisees.

4 - The Zealots.

5 - The Essenes.
[close]

eyeshaveit

Jesus said, ?It is written, ?Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.? - Matthew 4.

How important was bread to a first century Jew? And in ancient Israel how much time was spent each day, by the average family, to mill (mortar and pestle} flour from grain?

Spoiler
According to biblical scholar, Carol Myers - Archaeology and Women's Lives in Ancient Israel - bread made up about 50% of the caloric intake of the average Israelite. And grinding grain into flour was about a daily three hour task for a normal family.
[close]

eyeshaveit

Where did John Bunyan write The Pilgrim's Progress?

Spoiler
In prison,
"Bunyan was arrested under the Conventicle Act of 1593, which made it an offence to attend a religious gathering other than at the parish church with more than five people outside their family. The offence was punishable by 3 months imprisonment followed by banishment or execution if the person then failed to promise not to re-offend ... as Bunyan refused to agree to give up preaching, his period of imprisonment eventually extended to 12 years and brought great hardship to his family" - Wikipedia.

"If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. Remember the word that I said to you: ?A servant is not greater than his master.? If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you." - John 15.
[close]

eyeshaveit

What did Jesus of Nazareth teach about 'the end times'?

Spoiler
More than a few false messiahs would arise.
Numerous peoples would be deceived.
There would be earthquakes and war.
There would be famine and pestilence.
Christ's followers would witness to kings.
Many believers would renounce their faith.
Others would be betrayed by close friends.
Overall iniquity and wickedness would rise.
There would be fearful events on earth.
There would be terrors and signs in Heaven.

See Matthew 24 & Luke 21.
[close]

eyeshaveit

What are the three most important promises made by Jesus Christ?

Spoiler
1 - To forgive:

"If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us." - 1 John 1.

2 - To die:

"Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, ?Take, eat; this is my body.? And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, ?Drink of it, all of you, for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. I tell you I will not drink again of this fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.?" - Matthew 26.

3 - To judge:

"For the Father judges no one, but has given all judgment to the Son, that all may honor the Son, just as they honor the Father. Whoever does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent him. Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life." - John 5.
[close]

composer

Quote from: eyeshaveit on November 09, 2016, 09:48:47 AM
What did Jesus of Nazareth teach about 'the end times'?
||think||

Nothing!

1. 'The Jesus of the Gospels is an artificial creation, a collective work of art who evolved through the combined consciousness of two generations of Christian worship.'

? A. N. Wilson (Paul, p144)

''Whether Jesus ever actually existed has long been debated. The argument (very well documented) is that there is absolutely no corroborating evidence of his existence in documents other than highly suspect Christian sources.'

? Riane Eisler (The Chalice & the Blade, p122)

||popcorn||

eyeshaveit

What are the differences between the Anthropomorphic language and the Phenomenological language used in the Holy Bible?

Spoiler
Anthropomorphic language "refers to the perception of a divine being ... in human form or the recognition of human qualities" in God - Wikipedia.

"And he gave to Moses, when he had finished speaking with him on Mount Sinai, the two tablets of the testimony, tablets of stone, written with the finger of God." - Exodus 31.

"Phenomenological language refers to human "consciousness as experienced from the first-person [naked eye] point of view." - Wikipedia.

"The sun rises, and the sun goes down, and hastens to the place where it rises." - Ecclesiastes 1.
[close]

kevin

what do christians believe about the salvation of men and women who have never heard the gospel? and what of the saving Light of christ?

Spoiler
The Sixth Proposition

[close]

eyeshaveit

Jesus Christ said, "You have heard that it was said, ?You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.? But I say to you, Love your enemies" - Matthew 5.

What are the practical steps - how do you "love your enemies"?

Spoiler
"But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven." - Matthew 5.

Pray for your enemies: focus on your enemy's needs; not on his flaws and shortcomings.

Pray and pay attention to these things - and you will have no time to hate.
[close]

composer

Quote from: eyeshaveit on November 14, 2016, 09:04:03 AM
Jesus Christ said,
||think||

As Posts like yours demonstrate, the biblical jebus is a Historical MYTH!

Quote from: eyeshaveit on November 14, 2016, 09:04:03 AM
What are the practical steps - how do you "love your enemies"?
||think||

Avoid narcissistic & violent as-holes like your Story book mythical jebus!

||popcorn||

eyeshaveit

What is a Christ Hymn?

Spoiler
There are several Hymns to Christ in the New Testament; lauding both the person and work of Jesus Christ, in a most powerful way. These include:

John 1:1-18.
Philippians 2:5-11.
Colossians 1:15-20.
1 Timothy 3:16, etc.

"He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.
For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities?all things were created through him and for him.
And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together.
And he is the head of the body, the church.
He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent.
For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross." - Colossians 1:15-20.

[close]

Case

Quote from: kevin on November 14, 2016, 12:44:54 AM
what do christians believe about the salvation of men and women who have never heard the gospel? and what of the saving Light of christ?

Spoiler
The Sixth Proposition

[close]

Too bad the Quakers gave up on theology after Barclay.
"You have formed us for Yourself, and our hearts are restless until they find rest in You." Augustine, Confessions, Book 1, Chapter 1

Kiahanie

Most Quaker theology is written as biography, not as logical theses.
"If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet ... maybe we could understand something." --Federico Fellini....."Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation" -Jellaludin Rumi,

kevin

they didnt do a lot of theology before, either.

fox was mostly forgotten for a century while the quakers busied themselves disowning each other

eyeshaveit

What is "Holy Ghost Greek"?

Spoiler
The German theologian, Hermann Cremer (1834 - 1903), is thought to be the first to used the phrase, "Holy Ghost Greek", to describe what were believed to be anomalies in the Greek text of the New Testament:

"The Greek of the New Testament is Koine, or Hellenistic Greek and it was the language of international commerce in the first century A.D. For centuries scholars were puzzled by the difference between New Testament Greek and the literary Greek of the classical poets, playwrights and philosophers. Some even supposed that the Bible used a special "Holy Ghost Greek." However, the discovery of first century letters and business documents from Egypt showed conclusively that the New Testament was written in the vernacular (plain, everyday language of people groups living in a specific geographic area) of the common people of that century." - Wikifoundry.
[close]

eyeshaveit

"President-elect Donald Trump?s win has fed talk of secession among West Coast liberals, with some now wondering whether California could become Canada?s next province. Secessionists stirring the pot are nothing new on the West Coast, but in recent years ?Cascadia? had been the vision du jour in the Pacific Northwest. Depending on who is talking, this secession scheme would have British Columbia, Washington and Oregon as well as bits of the surrounding states and provinces break away. Now some of those pushing a CalExit referendum ? California?s exit from the United States, similar to Britain?s leaving of the European Union ? are arguing that all three Pacific states could join Canada. Some Canadians are even rolling out the welcome mats, even extending the olive branch to Nevada." - Levi Pulkkinen - San Francisco - sfgate.com - November 10, 2016.

What is the biblical origin of the phrase, "extending an olive branch"?

Spoiler
"It has a biblical origin. The sign that the flood was over was an olive branch brought back to the ark by a dove. Olive branches are symbols of peace." - Google.

"Then God remembered Noah, and every living thing, and all the animals that were with him in the ark. And God made a wind to pass over the earth, and the waters subsided. The fountains of the deep and the windows of heaven were also stopped, and the rain from heaven was restrained. And the waters receded continually from the earth. At the end of the hundred and fifty days the waters decreased. Then the ark rested in the seventh month, the seventeenth day of the month, on the mountains of Ararat. And the waters decreased continually until the tenth month. In the tenth month, on the first day of the month, the tops of the mountains were seen. So it came to pass, at the end of forty days, that Noah opened the window of the ark which he had made. Then he sent out a raven, which kept going to and fro until the waters had dried up from the earth. He also sent out from himself a dove, to see if the waters had receded from the face of the ground. But the dove found no resting place for the sole of her foot, and she returned into the ark to him, for the waters were on the face of the whole earth. So he put out his hand and took her, and drew her into the ark to himself. And he waited yet another seven days, and again he sent the dove out from the ark. Then the dove came to him in the evening, and behold, a freshly plucked olive leaf was in her mouth; and Noah knew that the waters had receded from the earth. So he waited yet another seven days and sent out the dove, which did not return again to him anymore." - Genesis 8.
[close]

kevin

what do christians teach about justification?

Spoiler
The Seventh Proposition

Concerning Justification.

As many as resist not this light, but receive the same, in them is produced an holy, pure, and spiritual birth, bringing forth holiness, righteousness, purity, and all those other blessed fruits which are acceptable to God; by which holy birth, to wit, Jesus Christ, formed within us, and working his works in us--as we are sanctified, so we are justified in the sight of God, according to the apostle's words, "But ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified, in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God."   

Therefore it is not by our works wrought in our will, nor yet by good works, considered as of themselves, but by Christ, who is both the gift and the giver, and the cause producing the effects in us; who, as he hath reconciled us while we were enemies, doth also in his wisdom save us, and justify us after this manner, as saith the same apostle elsewhere, "According to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and the renewing of the Holy Ghost."   
[close]

eyeshaveit

Did First Century Jews and Christians differ as to the origin of Scripture?

Spoiler
No:

"The Rabbinical teaching was that the Spirit of God rested on and in the prophets and spoke through them so that their words did not come from themselves, but from the mouth of God, and they spoke and wrote in the Holy Spirit. The early [Christian] church was in entire agreement with this view." - Linguistic Key to the Greek New Testament - By Fritz Reinecker and Cleon Rogers - 1980.

"And we have the prophetic word more fully confirmed, to which you will do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts, knowing this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone's own interpretation. For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit." - 2 Peter 1.
[close]

eyeshaveit

What is Christianity's 'Golden Chain'?

Spoiler
The Golden Chain of Salvation (or Glory or Redemption or Grace) is simply God's order of salvation, found listed in Romans 8. The five links in the 'golden chain' are foreknowledge, predestination, calling, justification, and glorification:

"For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified." - Romans 8:29,30.
[close]

eyeshaveit

What was it that the Puritans called, "The market day of the soul"?

Spoiler
The Puritans called the Sabbath, a "?market day of the soul", asking the question, ?What do I get to do with my God today?? the Lord?s Day will be anything but burdensome." - Joseph Pipa - The Lord's Day - page 41.

The Puritan's view of the Sabbath revolved around the prophet Isaiah - Chapter 58:

?If you turn back your foot from the Sabbath, from doing your pleasure on my holy day, and call the Sabbath a delight and the holy day of the Lord honorable; if you honor it, not going your own ways, or seeking your own pleasure, or talking idly; then you shall take delight in the Lord, and I will make you ride on the heights of the earth; I will feed you with the heritage of Jacob your father, for the mouth of the Lord has spoken.? - Isaiah 58:13,14.

The Puritans wondered of "doing your pleasure on my holy day", and by these words was God thus clarifying the commandment:

"Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor, and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God" - Exodus 20.
[close]

eyeshaveit

"In Christianity, the Passion (from Late Latin: passionem "suffering, enduring") is the short final period in the life of Jesus" - Google.

What are the motifs or elements of Jesus Christ's Passion - parts of which are found in all four Gospels?

Spoiler
1 - Jesus of Nazareth arrives in Jerusalem.

2 - The Upper Room / The Last Supper.

3 - The Garden of Gethsemane.

4 - Christ's Arrest and Trial.

5 - The Crucifixion.

6 - Christ's Burial.

7 - The Resurrection.

8 - Jesus Christ's Post-Resurrection Appearances.

"He is not here, for he has risen, as he said." - Matthew 28.
[close]

eyeshaveit

"The King James Version, also known as the Authorized Version or the King James Bible, is an English translation of the Christian Bible for the Church of England begun in 1604 and completed in 1611." - Wikipedia.

Before the King James Bible was published in 1611, how many English translations of the Bible had appeared in print:

None?
One?
Three?
Seven?

Spoiler
At least seven English translations of the King James Bible preceded the 'Authorized Version'. Today there are more than 100 English translations, of the Holy Bible, available to the reader or student of God's Word.

"The words of the LORD are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times" - Psalm 12.
[close]

kevin

the 1611 was never referred to as the "king james version."

modern king james bibles usually date back to an editorial creation made in 1769, which does not contain the full scriptural text of the 1611, none of its explanatory chapters or preface material, and none of the thousands of cross references or marginal notes included with it.

texts of the genuine 1611 are available online at eSword.com, as are texts of the king james for comparison.

eyeshaveit

As you suggest, the 1611 Bible was not called the KJV, when it was first printed, other than the obvious, "The Holy Bible", but that fact is a bit of minutia that escapes most of us, as does the history of the Bible conceived at the Hampton Court Conference in 1604. That history would make a great IGI Blog post and you are the just right man for that job.

@kevin

kevin

i have no interest in humoring you, eyes, nor in supporting your personal tour as to what christianity consists of.

i'll correct your grosser errors, but if you want to move beyond that, the responsibility is all yours.

eyeshaveit

Quote from: kevin on November 23, 2016, 08:01:15 PM
i have no interest in humoring you, eyes, nor in supporting your personal tour as to what christianity consists of.

i'll correct your grosser errors, but if you want to move beyond that, the responsibility is all yours.

You're a trip, Kevin,

I'm no theologian, but I read them extensively, and by far most of them 'lump' all the printings of the 1611 Bible together under the heading of "The King James Bible".

And do correct the errors of this sinner man as you find them. It is very much appreciated.

+1