News:

New members, please say hello to the forum in the Introductions board!

Main Menu

Christian Doctrine - Pop Quiz.

Started by eyeshaveit, August 23, 2016, 10:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyeshaveit

What is a Christian's duty to the State?

Spoiler
To submit to authority:

"Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment." - Romans 13.

To pay taxes:

"For because of this you also pay taxes, for the authorities are ministers of God, attending to this very thing. Pay to all what is owed to them: taxes to whom taxes are owed, revenue to whom revenue is owed, respect to whom respect is owed, honor to whom honor is owed." - Romans 13.

To pray for those in authority:

"I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way." - 1 Timothy 2.

To render civil obedience, but no government may lawfully command what God forbids - and no state decree may forbid what God commands:

"So they [The Sanhedrin] called them and charged them [Peter and John] not to speak or teach at all in the name of Jesus. But Peter and John answered them, ?Whether it is right in the sight of God to listen to you rather than to God, you must judge" - Acts 4.
[close]
Jesus Christ died so you could have access to God.

eyeshaveit

The Holy Bible tells us, "For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made" - Romans 1.

Philosophers tell us (summed up by Immanuel Kant), that we 'can't move from the visible to the invisible through science'.

Yet the questions continue to echo and resound. What are the possible answers; what are the 'big picture' explanations for creation?

Spoiler
1 - Creation is eternal.

2 - Creation is self created.

3 - Creation is created by something that is created.

4 - Other?
[close]

composer

Quote from: eyeshaveit on October 23, 2016, 08:44:59 AM
The Holy Bible tells us,

4 - Other?[/spoiler]
||think||

The bible is actually a holey book!  ||razz||

||popcorn||
Your alleged gods are very bad god persons, I am offering them the chance to become good god persons for the very first time, but only after they admit they are bad god persons and want to try again.

eyeshaveit

How disagreeable and terrible is sin - is sin ever fatal?

Spoiler
No, sin is not fatal; there is a cure.
Sin does become fatal in its denial: the refusal to admit that one is a sinner and/or the repudiation of and the denial of God.
[close]

composer

Quote from: eyeshaveit on October 24, 2016, 08:19:10 AM
How disagreeable and terrible is sin - is sin ever fatal?

Spoiler
No, sin is not fatal; there is a cure.
Sin does become fatal in its denial: the refusal to admit that one is a sinner and/or the repudiation of and the denial of God.
[close]
||think||

Sin against a literal Supernatural God(s) is 100% human devised rubbish!

||popcorn||
Your alleged gods are very bad god persons, I am offering them the chance to become good god persons for the very first time, but only after they admit they are bad god persons and want to try again.

eyeshaveit

Quote from: composer on October 24, 2016, 09:16:31 AM

Step outside and look up in the heavens; remembering that you are on a moving planet, speeding through space, with sublime and marvelous entities above and all about you. 

Look at the sky as a "child of the pure unclouded brow, and dreaming eyes of wonder." - C.S. Lewis.

?The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork. Day to day pours out speech, and night to night reveals knowledge.? - Psalm 19.

kevin

what is the third proposition of primitive christianity revived?

Spoiler
The Third Proposition

Concerning the Scriptures.

From these revelations of the Spirit of God to the saints, have proceeded the scriptures of truth, which contain, 1. A faithful historical account of the actings of God's people in divers ages, with many singular and remarkable providences attending them. 2. A prophetical account of several things, whereof some are already past, and some yet to come. 3. A full and ample account of all the chief principles of the doctrine of Christ, held forth in divers precious declarations, exhortations, and sentences, which, by the moving of God's Spirit, were at several times, and upon sundry occasions, spoken and written unto some churches and their pastors: nevertheless, because they are only a declaration of the fountain, and not the fountain itself, therefore they are not to be esteemed the principal ground of all truth and knowledge, nor yet the adequate primary rule of faith and manners. Nevertheless, as that which giveth a true and faithful testimony of the first foundation, they are and may be esteemed a secondary rule, subordinate to the Spirit, from which they have all their excellency and certainty; for as by the inward testimony of the Spirit we do alone truly know them, so they testify, that the Spirit is that guide by which the saints are led into all truth: therefore, according to the scriptures, the Spirit is the first and principal leader.   

And seeing we do therefore receive and believe the scriptures, because they proceed from the Spirit; therefore also the Spirit is more originally and principally the rule, according to that received maxim in the schools, Propter quod unumquodque est tale, illud ipsum est magis tale. Englished thus: "That for which a thing is such, that thing itself is more such."   
[close]
may you bathe i the blood of a thousand sheep

composer

Quote from: composer on October 24, 2016, 09:16:31 AM

Quote from: eyeshaveit on October 24, 2016, 01:32:59 PM
Step outside and look up in the heavens; remembering that you are on a moving planet, speeding through space, with sublime and marvelous entities above and all about you.
||think||

Praise e.g. Susan the Alien!

Look at the sky as a "child of the pure unclouded brow, and dreaming eyes of wonder." - C.S. Lewis.
||think||

And you quote Lewis, why?

?The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork. Day to day pours out speech, and night to night reveals knowledge.? - Psalm 19.
||think||

Your supposed preferred Story book?

How UNderwhelming!

||popcorn||

eyeshaveit

"For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass away from the law, till all things be accomplished." - Matthew 5:18.

What are jots and tittles?

Spoiler
A jot is "the smallest letter of the Hebrew and Aramaic alphabets". - Wikipedia.

A tittle is the short "hook on Hebrew letters". - Wikipedia.

"[Jesus] uses [jots and tittles] as an example of extremely minor details. The phrase "jot and tittle" indicates that every small detail has received attention." - Wikipedia.

"Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark." - James 3.
[close]

eyeshaveit

Quote from: composer on October 25, 2016, 12:34:52 AM
How UNderwhelming!

"My son ... Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord, and turn away from evil. It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones" - Proverbs 3.

composer

Quote from: eyeshaveit on October 25, 2016, 08:50:08 AM
Quote from: composer on October 25, 2016, 12:34:52 AM
How UNderwhelming!

"My son ... Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord, and turn away from evil. It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones" - Proverbs 3.
||think||

Your quoting from your human devised Story book is pointless for you!

It is just propaganda written by men that you happen to want to parrot as if it had Supernatural based credibility, which it doesn't!

||popcorn||

eyeshaveit

What are the Seven Deadly Sins?

Spoiler
"The seven deadly sins are pride, covetousness, lust, anger, gluttony, envy, and sloth." - Google.

The 'seven deadly' sins are variously described in the Bible, by Solomon (Proverbs) and the Apostles Paul (Epistles) and John (Revelation). They were later listed in Christian writings, but Thomas Aquinas, in his Summa Theologica, was probably the first to catalogue the seven sins: as "vainglory [pride], avarice [greed], gluttony, lust, sloth, envy and anger"
[close]

composer

Quote from: eyeshaveit on October 26, 2016, 07:30:54 AM
What are the Seven Deadly Sins?

"The seven deadly sins are pride, covetousness, lust, anger, gluttony, envy, and sloth." - Google.

The 'seven deadly' sins are variously described in the Bible, by Solomon (Proverbs) and the Apostles Paul (Epistles) and John (Revelation). They were later listed in Christian writings, but Thomas Aquinas, in his Summa Theologica, was probably the first to catalogue the seven sins: as "vainglory [pride], avarice [greed], gluttony, lust, sloth, envy and anger"[/spoiler]
||think||

All of them are compatible with Story book God(s) & those who claim to follow them! Proofs -

1. Pride: I'm saved because my Story book tells me so!

2. Avarice: Greed for Story book promises of divine rewards, some even are prepared & have actually agreed to LIE to give a false semblance of Unity within their Cult! (Douglas-Walsh Trial Transcript, Scotland, 1954)

3. Gluttony: Overindulgence in their own conceit!

4. Lust: For Story book promises of divine rewards!

Some Cults even prepared & have actually agreed to LIE, to give a false semblance of Unity within their Cult! (Douglas-Walsh Trial Transcript, Scotland, 1954)

5. Sloth: A disinclination to work or exert yourself (WordWeb)

e.g. applies to lazy Story book jebus; abusing its powers & lazy by even sending others to gain monies for its own purposes -

But so that we don?t offend them, go to the lake and throw out a hook. Take the first fish that comes up, and when you open its mouth, you will find a four drachma coin.48 Take that and give it to them for me and you.? (Matthew 17:27) NET Story book

6. Envy (includes Genocidal narcissism & rampant Jeslousy): Moreover, these enemies of mine that did not want me to become king over them BRING here and slaughter them before me' " (Luke 19:27) KIT Story book

&

You must not bow down to them nor be enticed to serve them,+ for I, Jehovah your God, am a God who requires exclusive devotion,+ bringing punishment for the error of fathers upon sons, upon the third generation and upon the fourth generation of those who hate me, (Exod. 20:5) nw pretend translation

7. Anger: The biblical God(s) are Sinfully guilty of anger and will kill everyone that dares to stand in their way, whilst failing to adhere to their own supposed commandments for others! e.g. -

I will execute judgment on all the gods of Egypt.+ I am Jehovah. (Exod. 12:12) nw pretend translation

One wonders why this Sinful God(s) would threaten ' all the gods of Egypt ' if there is only one G/god?

&

Moreover, these enemies of mine that did not want me to become king over them BRING here and slaughter them before me' " (Luke 19:27) KIT Story book

The biblical God(s) are malignant Sinners hypocritically violating even their own supposed dictates to others!

e.g. - Let go of anger and abandon rage;. . . . (Psalm 37:8) nw pretend translation (cf. http://isgodimaginary.com/forum/index.php/topic,62632.msg819468.html#msg819468)

7b. Jealousy: e.g. (Exod. 20:5) ESV Story book Or . . . . I, Jehovah your God, am a God who requires exclusive devotion,+ bringing punishment for the error of fathers upon sons, upon the third generation and upon the fourth generation of those who hate me, (Exod. 20:5) nw pretend translation

||popcorn||

eyeshaveit

Quote from: composer on October 26, 2016, 08:44:08 AM

You are being graded on the curve, but you are still flunking Catechism - you do know that don't you?

composer

Quote from: eyeshaveit on October 26, 2016, 11:22:28 AM
Quote from: composer on October 26, 2016, 08:44:08 AM

You are being graded on the curve, but you are still flunking Catechism - you do know that don't you?
||think||

So called believers & their Story book God(s) are proven synonymous with their fatal manifestations of the so named ' 7 deadly Sins! '.

&

Unlike you & Co., I am entirely vindicated -

cathechism: A series of questions put to an individual (such as a political candidate) to elicit their views. (WordWeb)

||popcorn||

eyeshaveit

Quote from: composer on October 26, 2016, 11:58:51 PM

"Therefore, my dear brother, learn Christ and him crucified, learn to pray to him, despairing of yourself, saying: 'Thou, Lord Jesus, art my righteousness, but I am thy sin." - Martin Luther - Lectures on Romans - page lviii.

eyeshaveit

Are Christian creeds important? The question arises as not a few Christian 'free churches' object to creeds, and they rather subscribe to a view of religion, that reads along the lines of: ?No book but the Bible - No creed but Christ - No law but Love.?

This sounds fine, but what is the irony and possible misunderstanding of such a 'statement of faith'?

Spoiler
1 - Endorsing the idea of, 'No book but the Bible - No creed but Christ - No law but Love', this is an irony - as it is a creed in itself.

2 - And without a written summary (creed), people tend to be vague and all over the place as to their faith beliefs: with some understanding correctly and others incorrectly. For example, ?No creed but the Bible?, may be used to conceal important details, such as a rejection of Christ's deity.

3 - Creeds and confessions of faith are not substitutes for the Holy Bible, but they ought not be avoided, as they do work toward merging faith in the Bible, to preserve the mission of Christ's Church.
[close]

kevin

what is the fourth proposition of primitive christianity revived?

Spoiler
The Fourth Proposition

Concerning the Condition of Man in the Fall.

All Adam's posterity, or mankind, both Jews and Gentiles, as to the first Adam, or earthly man, is fallen, degenerate, and dead, deprived of the sensation or feeling of this inward testimony or seed of God, and is subject unto the power, nature, and seed of the serpent, which he sows in men's hearts, while they abide in this natural and corrupted state; from whence it comes, that not their words and deeds only, but all their imaginations are evil perpetually in the sight of God, as proceeding from this depraved and wicked seed.   

Man, therefore, as he is in this state, can know nothing aright; yea, his thoughts and conceptions concerning God and things spiritual, until he be disjoined from this evil seed, and united to the divine light, are unprofitable both to himself and others: hence are rejected the Socinian and Pelagian errors, in exalting a natural light; as also of the Papists, and most Protestants, who affirm, That man, without the true grace of God, may be a true minister of the gospel.   

Nevertheless, this seed is not imputed to infants, until by transgression they actually join themselves therewith; for they are by nature the children of wrath, who walk according to the power of the prince of the air.
[close]

composer

Quote from: composer on October 26, 2016, 11:58:51 PM

"Therefore, my dear brother, learn Christ and him crucified, learn to pray to him, despairing of yourself, saying: 'Thou, Lord Jesus, art my righteousness, but I am thy sin." - Martin Luther - Lectures on Romans - page lviii.
[/quote]
||think||

So?

||popcorn||

eyeshaveit

"If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every charge may be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses. If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church." - Matthew 18.

Then if church discipline must be applied, such authority invariably revolves around one recurrent sin, which is?

Spoiler
The sin of 'impenitence':

"Impenitence is not feeling regret about one's sin or sins" - Google.

"If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector." - Matthew 18.
[close]

eyeshaveit

"And behold, a man came up to him, saying, ?Teacher, what good deed must I do to have eternal life?? And he said to him, ?Why do you ask me about what is good? There is only one who is good. If you would enter life, keep the commandments.? He said to him, ?Which ones?? And Jesus said, ?You shall not murder, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness, Honor your father and mother, and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.? The young man said to him, ?All these I have kept. What do I still lack?? Jesus said to him, ?If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.? When the young man heard this he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions." - Matthew 19.

Why did the rich young man go away 'sorrowful'?

Spoiler
1 - Jesus exposed the rich young man's idolatry: his love of possessions.

2 - Jesus exposed the man's folly: his not understanding that God alone offers genuine treasure - forgiveness of sins and righteousness.

3 - Jesus exposed the man's foolishness: his thinking that God's Kingdom was a token something; one that he could add to an already good life.

"For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?" - Matthew 16.
[close]

eyeshaveit

"I for a long time accepted the argument of the First Cause, until one day, at the age of 18, I read John Stuart Mill?s autobiography, and I there found this sentence ?My father taught me that the question, ?Who made me?? cannot be answered, since it immediately suggests the further question, ?Who made God??? That very simple sentence showed me, as I still think, the fallacy in the argument of the First Cause. If everything must have a cause, then God must have a cause.? - Bertrand Russell - Why I'm Not A Christian.

In the above quote, Philosopher and Mathematician, Bertrand Russell, strays into natural science and makes what mistake?

Spoiler
Bertrand Russell applied the Law of Causality to God's existence:

"The law of causality is the law of identity applied to action. All actions are caused by entities. The nature of an action is caused and determined by the nature of the entities that act; a thing cannot act in contradiction to its nature" - Google.

The Law of Causality does not suppose that 'everything' has a cause; rather it postulates that every 'effect' has a cause. The self-existence of God violates no law of logic.

"God said to Moses, ?I am who I am.?" - Exodus 3.

"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change." - James 1.
[close]

eyeshaveit

What is 'common grace'?

Spoiler
Common grace refers "to the grace of God that is either common to all humankind, or common to everyone" - Google

?Common grace curbs the destructive power of sin, maintains in a measure the moral order of the universe, thus making an orderly life possible, distributes in varying degrees gifts and talents among men, promotes the development of science and art, and showers untold blessings upon the children of men,? - Louis Berkhof.

Paraphrasing John Calvin - God's common grace has four aspects:
1 - "God?s sustaining care for his creation.
2 - "God's restraint of sin.
3 - "By God's common grace fallen mankind retains a conscience indicating the differences between right and wrong.
4 - "Providential blessings to mankind - Human advancements that come through the unredeemed are seen as outcomes of God's common grace. For example, medical and other technological advancements that improve the lives of both the redeemed and unredeemed are seen as initiated by common grace" - Quotes from Wikipedia.
[close]

composer

Quote from: eyeshaveit on October 30, 2016, 08:03:17 AM
"I for a long time accepted the argument of the First Cause, until one day, at the age of 18, I read John Stuart Mill?s autobiography, and I there found this sentence ?My father taught me that the question, ?Who made me?? cannot be answered, since it immediately suggests the further question, ?Who made God??? That very simple sentence showed me, as I still think, the fallacy in the argument of the First Cause. If everything must have a cause, then God must have a cause.? - Bertrand Russell - Why I'm Not A Christian.

In the above quote, Philosopher and Mathematician, Bertrand Russell, strays into natural science and makes what mistake?

"The law of causality is the law of identity applied to action. All actions are caused by entities. The nature of an action is caused and determined by the nature of the entities that act; a thing cannot act in contradiction to its nature" - Google.

The Law of Causality does not suppose that 'everything' has a cause; rather it postulates that every 'effect' has a cause. The self-existence of God violates no law of logic.

"God said to Moses, ?I am who I am.?" - Exodus 3.

"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change." - James 1.
||think||

You are hypocritically inserting a self contradiction to your ideology! i.e. everything requires a maker except our human devised supernatural maker?

Bertrand Russell made no mistake there!

You & Co. do!   ||razz||

||popcorn||

eyeshaveit

Quote from: composer on November 01, 2016, 09:31:53 AM

You are hypocritically inserting a self contradiction to your ideology! i.e. everything requires a maker except our human devised supernatural maker?

You & Co. do!   

You doing away with the 'Law of Causality', and replacing it what, other than bravado?  ||Kerly||

composer

Quote from: composer on November 01, 2016, 09:31:53 AM

You & Co. do!   

Quote from: eyeshaveit on November 01, 2016, 11:23:09 AM
You doing away with the 'Law of Causality', and replacing it what, other than bravado?  ||Kerly||
||think||

||spineyes||  ||spineyes|| Bravado is entirely yours & Co. in lieu of no proofs of your supernatural/spirit God(s)!  ||spineyes||  ||spineyes||

Law of Causality = Man made fabricated excuse & self-contradiction for their fallible principle that everything must have a cause Oops! (ahem) EXCEPT their imaginary God(s)! LMAO@U & Co.

||popcorn||

kevin

the fifth proposition of primitive christianity revived.

what do christians think of the universal redemption by christ?

Spoiler
Concerning the Universal Redemption by Christ,
and also the Saving and Spiritual Light, wherewith every man is enlightened.

The Fifth Proposition

God, out of his infinite love, who delighteth not in the death of a sinner, but that all should live and be saved, hath so loved the world, that he gave his only Son a light, that whosoever believeth in him should be saved; who enlighteneth every man that cometh into the world, and makest manifest all things that are reproveable, and teacheth all temperance, righteousness, and godliness: and in this light enlighteneth the hearts of all in a day [Pro tempore: for a time], in order to salvation, if not resisted: nor is it less universal than the seed of sin, being the purchase of his death, who tasted death for every man; "for as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive."
[close]

composer

Quote from: kevin on November 02, 2016, 12:22:32 AM
the fifth proposition of primitive christianity revived.

what do christians think of the universal redemption by christ?

Spoiler
Concerning the Universal Redemption by Christ,
and also the Saving and Spiritual Light, wherewith every man is enlightened.

The Fifth Proposition

God, out of his infinite love, who delighteth not in the death of a sinner, but that all should live and be saved, hath so loved the world, that he gave his only Son a light, that whosoever believeth in him should be saved; who enlighteneth every man that cometh into the world, and makest manifest all things that are reproveable, and teacheth all temperance, righteousness, and godliness: and in this light enlighteneth the hearts of all in a day [Pro tempore: for a time], in order to salvation, if not resisted: nor is it less universal than the seed of sin, being the purchase of his death, who tasted death for every man; "for as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive."
[close]
||think||

Your first impediment is locating a genuine believer!

i.e. According to e.g. 1 John 3:6,8 Story book, there are currently still none!  ||razz||

||popcorn||

eyeshaveit

1 - Are you sorrowful about your sins, yes or no?
2 - Do you worship God and desire to go to Heaven, yes or no?
3 - Do you have confidence that Jesus Christ is your Savior, yes or no?

Consider the above - what do three 'yes' answers indicate?

Spoiler
That the one responding 'yes', to all three questions, is a Christian
[close]

eyeshaveit

Quote from: composer on November 01, 2016, 11:55:02 PM
Law of Causality = Man made fabricated excuse & self-contradiction for their fallible principle that everything must have a cause Oops! (ahem) EXCEPT their imaginary God(s)! LMAO@U & Co.

Sleight of hand gets you naught except an invoice and demand for dues from the Royal Society of Vanishing Magicians' Union.  ||Kerly||