News:

Are you in the IGI Yearbook?

Main Menu

Christian Doctrine - Pop Quiz.

Started by eyeshaveit, August 23, 2016, 10:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyeshaveit

Who are the 'Sons of God' mentioned in the Holy Bible?

Spoiler
- The Angels,

"Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came among them" - Job 1.

2 - Jesus Christ,

"Who is it that overcomes the world except the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?" - 1 John.

3 - Spiritual people,

"For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God." - Romans 8.
[close]
Jesus Christ died so you could have access to God.

eyeshaveit

"Yea, and what have ye to do with me, O Tyre, and Zidon, and all the coasts of Palestine?" - Joel 3:4.

What is the etymology of the word Palestine?

Spoiler
"Though the definite origins of the word "Palestine" have been debated for years and are still not known for sure, the name is believed to be derived from the Egyptian and Hebrew word peleshet. Roughly translated to mean "rolling" or "migratory," the term was used to describe the inhabitants of the land to the northeast of Egypt - the Philistines. The Philistines were an Aegean people - more closely related to the Greeks and with no connection ethnically, linguisticly or historically with Arabia - who conquered in the 12th Century BCE the Mediterranean coastal plain that is now Israel and Gaza." - Jewish Virtual Library.

In 135 AD - and after putting down a revolt - the Romans renamed the Province of Judah; dubbing it Palestine.
[close]

eyeshaveit

The Holy Bible is often variously described as: a history book; a science book; a law book; a book of systematic theology and even an ethics manual?

Is the Bible all of the above or none of the above?

Spoiler
Yes.
[close]

eyeshaveit

Which of the following best describes the God of the Bible?

1 - An Unknowable Force Field?

2 - A Silent Impersonal God?

3 - A God Who Speaks?

Spoiler
The God of the Bible is a God who speaks - a personal God.

How does the God of the Bible speak?
Spoiler

There have to be words to maintain a personal relationship:

In the Old Testament, God spoke through the prophets: "Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets" - Hebrews 1.

In the New Testament, God spoke through completely and fully through Jesus Christ: "but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world. He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high" - Hebrews 1.

Notice that Christ "sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high". Sitting down is an indication that Christ's 'speaking work' was complete.
[close]

[close]

eyeshaveit

"The Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, established in 1977, is the premier and the most comprehensive academic research organization and national center in the People's Republic of China for study in the fields of philosophy and social sciences, with the obligation of advancing and innovating in the scientific researches of philosophy, social sciences and policies." - Wikipedia.

The Chinese Academy of Social Sciences (CASS) has determined what to be "the pre-eminence" of Western Society "all over the world"?

Spoiler
Christianity -

"One of the things we were asked to look into was what accounted for the success, in fact, the pre-eminence of the West all over the world. We studied everything we could from the historical, political, economic, and cultural perspective. At first, we thought it was because you had more powerful guns than we had. Then we thought it was because you had the best political system. Next we focused on your economic system. But in the past twenty years, we have realized that the heart of your culture is your religion: Christianity. That is why the West is so powerful. The Christian moral foundation of social and cultural life was what made possible the emergence of capitalism and then the successful transition to democratic politics. We don?t have any doubt about this." - William J. Bennett - Tried by Fire: The Story of Christianity's First Thousand Years
[close]

kevin

what does the "I" in TULIP stand for?

QuoteIrresistible Grace:

When God calls his elect into salvation, they cannot resist. God offers to all people the gospel message. This is called the external call. But to the elect, God extends an internal call and it cannot be resisted. This call is by the Holy Spirit who works in the hearts and minds of the elect to bring them to repentance and regeneration whereby they willingly and freely come to God. Some of the verses used in support of this teaching are Romans 9:16 where it says that "it is not of him who wills nor of him who runs, but of God who has mercy"; Philippians 2:12-13 where God is said to be the one working salvation in the individual; John 6:28-29 where faith is declared to be the work of God; Acts 13:48 where God appoints people to believe; and John 1:12-13 where being born again is not by man?s will, but by God?s.
?All that the Father gives Me shall come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out," (John 6:37).

may you bathe i the blood of a thousand sheep

eyeshaveit

"The devil made me do it." - Flip Wilson.

"Resist the devil, and he will flee from you." - James 4.

What are some of the names and titles that the Holy Bible ascribes to "the devil"?

Spoiler
Ancient Serpent,
"And he seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years" - Revelation 20.

Satan,
"And the Lord said to Satan, ?The Lord rebuke you, O Satan!" - Zechariah 3.

Devil and Tempter,
"Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil ... And the tempter came and said to him, ?If you are the Son of God, command these stones to become loaves of bread.?" - Matthew 4.

Abaddon or Apollyon,
"They have as king over them the angel of the bottomless pit. His name in Hebrew is Abaddon, and in Greek he is called Apollyon." - Revelation 9.

Accuser,
"Now the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God and the authority of his Christ have come, for the accuser of our brothers has been thrown down, who accuses them day and night before our God." - Revelation 12.

Roaring Lion and adversary,
"Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour." - 1 Peter 5.

Beelzebul,
"But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, ?It is only by Beelzebul, the prince of demons, that this man casts out demons.? - Matthew 12.

Belial,
"What accord has Christ with Belial?" - 2 Corinthians 6.

Evil One,
"When anyone hears the word of the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what has been sown in his heart." - Matthew 13.

Murderer and Father of Lies,
"You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies." - John 8.

God of this Age,
"In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God." - 2 Corinthians 4.

Ruler of this World,
"Now is the judgment of this world; now will the ruler of this world be cast out." - John 12.

Prince of the Power of the Air,
"In which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience" - Ephesians 2.

Day Star,
?How you are fallen from heaven, O Day Star, son of Dawn! How you are cut down to the ground, you who laid the nations low!" - Isaiah 14.

Angel of Light,
"And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light." - 2 Corinthians 11.

And many others, etc.
[close]

eyeshaveit

Are 'faith beliefs' limited to those who worship a deity?

Spoiler
No, not at all - consider the following questions:

Where did humans come from?
What are we here on earth for?
How should we be living?
Where are we going? 
Is there an afterlife?

The answer to these, and like questions, are all personal beliefs; things held in confidence, but that can't be proved i.e., 'faith beliefs'.
[close]

eyeshaveit

What were the order of the Sabbath services in a first century synagogue, when Jesus of Nazareth walked the earth in Judea?

Spoiler
1 - The Shema (from Deuteronomy 11) was read:

"Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.  You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

"And if you will indeed obey my commandments that I command you today, to love the Lord your God, and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul, he will give the rain for your land in its season, the early rain and the later rain, that you may gather in your grain and your wine and your oil. And he will give grass in your fields for your livestock, and you shall eat and be full. Take care lest your heart be deceived, and you turn aside and serve other gods and worship them; then the anger of the Lord will be kindled against you, and he will shut up the heavens, so that there will be no rain, and the land will yield no fruit, and you will perish quickly off the good land that the Lord is giving you.

?You shall therefore lay up these words of mine in your heart and in your soul, and you shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall teach them to your children, talking of them when you are sitting in your house, and when you are walking by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates, that your days and the days of your children may be multiplied in the land that the Lord swore to your fathers to give them, as long as the heavens are above the earth."

2 - A prayer was offered.

3 - A reading of the Law.

4 - A reading from the prophets.

5 - An explanation of a Bible text.
[close]

eyeshaveit

What are the three meanings of the Greek word "kyrios" (English = Lord) in the New Testament?

Spoiler
1 - Referring to a polite form of address - English = Sir.

2 - Referring to a slave owner - English = Master.

3 - Referring to an imperial use - English = King, Emperor, etc.
[close]

eyeshaveit

What Old Testament Bible verse is most frequently mentioned in the New Testament?

Spoiler
Psalm 110:1,

"The LORD [Yahweh] says to my Lord [Adonai]: ?Sit at my right hand, until I make your enemies your footstool.?"
[close]

composer

Quote from: eyeshaveit on October 10, 2016, 08:41:48 AM
What were the order of the Sabbath services in a first century synagogue, when Jesus of Nazareth walked the earth in Judea?
||think||

The only literal walking this Historical Mythical character did; was in the bible Story book!

||popcorn||
Your alleged gods are very bad god persons, I am offering them the chance to become good god persons for the very first time, but only after they admit they are bad god persons and want to try again.

eyeshaveit

Quote from: composer on October 13, 2016, 08:27:12 AM
Quote from: eyeshaveit on October 10, 2016, 08:41:48 AM
||think||

The only literal walking this Historical Mythical character did; was in the bible Story book!

||popcorn||

You do know don't you, that each time you write the day's date on your correspondence or in your checkbook you commemorate the birth (The Year of our Lord) of Jesus Christ?  ||think||

kevin

what does the "P" in "TULIP" stand for?

QuotePerseverance of the Saints:

You cannot lose your salvation. Because the Father has elected, the Son has redeemed, and the Holy Spirit has applied salvation, those thus saved are eternally secure. They are eternally secure in Christ. Some of the verses for this position are John 10:27-28 where Jesus said His sheep will never perish; John 6:47 where salvation is described as everlasting life; Romans 8:1 where it is said we have passed out of judgment; 1 Corinthians 10:13 where God promises to never let us be tempted beyond what we can handle; and Phil. 1:6 where God is the one being faithful to perfect us until the day of Jesus? return.

all done now. nothing left to add.

eyeshaveit

What is the difference between a 'born again Christian' and your 'regular everyday Christian"?

Spoiler
1 - Nothing - no difference - the term, 'born again Christian', is a redundancy - all Christians are "born again":

"Now there was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews. This man came to Jesus by night and said to him, ?Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher come from God, for no one can do these signs that you do unless God is with him.? Jesus answered him, ?Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.?" - John 3.

2 - All Christian churches teach some form of a being 'born again', i.e., a new birth or regeneration.

"For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh." - Romans 7.

"For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God's law; indeed, it cannot. Those who are in the flesh cannot please God." - Romans 8.
[close]

composer

Quote from: eyeshaveit on October 13, 2016, 02:17:32 PM
You do know don't you, that each time you write the day's date on your correspondence or in your checkbook you commemorate the birth (The Year of our Lord) of Jesus Christ?
||think||

I didn't make it to be that way!

It is still commemorating a Historical Myth!

i.e. of no meaningful consequence should I write a cheque!

||popcorn||
Your alleged gods are very bad god persons, I am offering them the chance to become good god persons for the very first time, but only after they admit they are bad god persons and want to try again.

GratefulApe

Quote from: eyeshaveit on October 07, 2016, 04:04:18 PM

What are some of the names and titles that the Holy Bible ascribes to "the devil"?

Spoiler
Ancient Serpent,
"And he seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years" - Revelation 20.

Satan,

Devil and Tempter,
"Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil ... And the tempter came and said to him, ?If you are the Son of God, command these stones to become loaves of bread.?" - Matthew 4.

Abaddon or Apollyon,
"They have as king over them the angel of the bottomless pit. His name in Hebrew is Abaddon, and in Greek he is called Apollyon." - Revelation 9.

Accuser,
"Now the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God and the authority of his Christ have come, for the accuser of our brothers has been thrown down, who accuses them day and night before our God." - Revelation 12.

"Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour." - 1 Peter 5.

Beelzebul,
"But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, ?It is only by Beelzebul, the prince of demons, that this man casts out demons.? - Matthew 12.

Belial,

Evil One,
"When anyone hears the word of the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what has been sown in his heart." - Matthew 13.

"You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies." - John 8.

God of this Age,
"In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God." - 2 Corinthians 4.

Ruler of this World,
"Now is the judgment of this world; now will the ruler of this world be cast out." - John 12.

"In which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience" - Ephesians 2.

Day Star,
?How you are fallen from heaven, O Day Star, son of Dawn! How you are cut down to the ground, you who laid the nations low!" - Isaiah 14.

Angel of Light,
"And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light." - 2 Corinthians 11.

And many others, etc.
[close]

The King of Tyre and The Anointed Cherub 

Spoiler
11 Again the word of the Lord came to me saying, 12 ?Son of man, take up a lamentation over the king of Tyre and say to him, ?Thus says the Lord God,

?You had the seal of perfection,
Full of wisdom and perfect in beauty.
13 ?You were in Eden, the garden of God;
Every precious stone was your covering:
The ruby, the topaz and the diamond;
The beryl, the onyx and the jasper;
The lapis lazuli, the turquoise and the emerald;
And the gold, the workmanship of your settings and sockets,
Was in you.
On the day that you were created
They were prepared.
14 ?You were the anointed cherub who covers,
And I placed you there.

You were on the holy mountain of God;
You walked in the midst of the stones of fire.
15 ?You were blameless in your ways
From the day you were created
Until unrighteousness was found in you.
16 ?By the abundance of your trade
You were internally filled with violence,
And you sinned;
Therefore I have cast you as profane
From the mountain of God.
And I have destroyed you, O covering cherub,
From the midst of the stones of fire.
17 ?Your heart was lifted up because of your beauty;
You corrupted your wisdom by reason of your splendor.
I cast you to the ground;
I put you before kings,
That they may see you.
18 ?By the multitude of your iniquities,
In the unrighteousness of your trade
You profaned your sanctuaries.
Therefore I have brought fire from the midst of you;
It has consumed you,
And I have turned you to ashes on the earth
In the eyes of all who see you.
19 ?All who know you among the peoples
Are appalled at you;
You have become terrified
And you will cease to be forever.???
[close]

composer

This lamentation is directed specifically at the King of Tyre! i.e. he was the anointed one!

Examine your quote which proves this, i.e. You were & your heart!

||popcorn||

GratefulApe

Quote from: GratefulApe on October 14, 2016, 11:59:56 AM
Quote from: eyeshaveit on October 07, 2016, 04:04:18 PM

Spoiler
Ancient Serpent,

Satan,

Devil and Tempter,

Abaddon or Apollyon,

Accuser,

Beelzebul,

Belial,

Evil One,

God of this Age,

Ruler of this World,

Day Star,

Angel of Light,

And many others, etc.
[close]

The King of Tyre and The Anointed Cherub 

Spoiler
11 Again the word of the Lord came to me saying, 12 ?Son of man, take up a lamentation over the king of Tyre and say to him, ?Thus says the Lord God,

?You had the seal of perfection,
Full of wisdom and perfect in beauty.
13 ?You were in Eden, the garden of God;
Every precious stone was your covering:
The ruby, the topaz and the diamond;
The beryl, the onyx and the jasper;
The lapis lazuli, the turquoise and the emerald;
And the gold, the workmanship of your settings and sockets,
Was in you.
On the day that you were created
They were prepared.
14 ?You were the anointed cherub who covers,
And I placed you there.

You were on the holy mountain of God;
You walked in the midst of the stones of fire.
15 ?You were blameless in your ways
From the day you were created
Until unrighteousness was found in you.
16 ?By the abundance of your trade
You were internally filled with violence,
And you sinned;
Therefore I have cast you as profane
From the mountain of God.
And I have destroyed you, O covering cherub,
From the midst of the stones of fire.
17 ?Your heart was lifted up because of your beauty;
You corrupted your wisdom by reason of your splendor.
I cast you to the ground;
I put you before kings,
That they may see you.
18 ?By the multitude of your iniquities,
In the unrighteousness of your trade
You profaned your sanctuaries.
Therefore I have brought fire from the midst of you;
It has consumed you,
And I have turned you to ashes on the earth
In the eyes of all who see you.
19 ?All who know you among the peoples
Are appalled at you;
You have become terrified
And you will cease to be forever.???
[close]

The idea is that He (Satan) is in control over the earthly kingdoms of this world.

The King of Babylon

Spoiler
Isaiah 14:4 with vv  12 14 NASB

4 that you will take up this taunt against the king of Babylon, and say,?How the oppressor has ceased,
And how fury has ceased!

12 ?How you have fallen from heaven,
O star of the morning, son of the dawn!
You have been cut down to the earth,
You who have weakened the nations!

14 ?I will ascend above the heights of the clouds;
I will make myself like the Most High.?
[close]

eyeshaveit

What are the Hebrew 'ages of man' as described in the Old Testament?

Spoiler
1 - Jeled - new born,

"For to us a child [jeled] is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon[a] his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." - Isaiah 9:6.

2 -  Jonek - suckling baby,

"The nursing child [jonek] shall play over the hole of the cobra" - Isaiah 11:8.

3 - Olel - talking, asking for bread,

"The children [olel] beg for food, but no one gives to them." - Lamentations 4:4.

4 - Gamul - a weaned infant,

"But I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child [gamul] with its mother; like a weaned child is my soul within me." - Psalm 131:2.

5 - Taph - one still clinging to his mother,

"Letters were sent by couriers to all the king's provinces with instruction to destroy, to kill, and to annihilate all Jews, young and old, women and children [taph], in one day, the thirteenth day of the twelfth month, which is the month of Adar, and to plunder their goods." - Esther 3:13.

6 - Elem - getting stronger,

"But if I say to the youth [elem], ?Look, the arrows are beyond you,? then go, for the Lord has sent you away" - 1 Samuel 20:22.

7 - Na'ar - young man,

"I was in my prime, when the friendship of God was upon my tent, when the Almighty was yet with me, when my children [na'ar] were all around me" - Job 29:4,5.

8 - Bachur - ripened youth, a warrior,

"And the Assyrian shall fall by a sword, not of man; and a sword, not of man, shall devour him; and he shall flee from the sword, and his young men [bachur] shall be put to forced labor." - Isaiah 31:8.
[close]

kevin

what is the Light?

Spoiler
The Light, and what Conservative Quakers believe it to be, is the most important defining characteristic of our faith.  Our understanding of the Light sets our beliefs and practices apart from other contemporary Christian groups, and from other Quakers.  It is perhaps best introduced metaphorically.  First and foremost, Quakers agree that the Light is something that illuminates, and reveals contrasts, just as natural light reveals flaws and casts shadows where it is obstructed.  The Light is a beacon to those seeking guidance.  The Light also makes significant changes.  Exposure to ordinary light in the natural world softens some substances and makes them more malleable.  Other substances are hardened and made more rigid and brittle.  In a similar way, exposure to the supernatural Inward Light raises the spiritual consciousness of receptive people, and results in spiritual degeneration in those who resist its power.  Those people who accept and welcome the revealing Light are at first made conscious of their sins, and then given the spiritual strength to resist them and become more holy in their walk with God.  Those who reject the open hand of God may find, like the Pharaoh of Exodus, that their hearts are hardened and the hand withdrawn.
[close]

eyeshaveit

"The Ark of the Covenant, also known as the Ark of the Testimony, is a gold-covered wooden chest described in the Book of Exodus" - Google.

What objects were kept in this "wooden chest", the Ark of the Covenant?

Spoiler
"Behind the second curtain was a second section called the Most Holy Place, having the golden altar of incense and the ark of the covenant covered on all sides with gold, in which was a golden urn holding the manna, and Aaron's staff that budded, and the tablets of the covenant." - Hebrews 9.

"Then the LORD said to Moses, ?Behold, I am about to rain bread from heaven for you, and the people shall go out and gather a day's portion every day ... in the morning dew lay around the camp. And when the dew had gone up, there was on the face of the wilderness a fine, flake-like thing, fine as frost on the ground. When the people of Israel saw it, they said to one another, ?What is it?? For they did not know what it was. And Moses said to them, ?It is the bread that the Lord has given you to eat ... Now the house of Israel called its name manna. It was like coriander seed, white, and the taste of it was like wafers made with honey." - Exodus 16.

?Speak to the people of Israel, and get from them staffs, one for each fathers' house, from all their chiefs according to their fathers' houses, twelve staffs. Write each man's name on his staff, and write Aaron's name on the staff of Levi. For there shall be one staff for the head of each fathers' house. Then you shall deposit them in the tent of meeting before the testimony, where I meet with you. And the staff of the man whom I choose shall sprout ... And Moses deposited the staffs before the LORD in the tent of the testimony. On the next day Moses went into the tent of the testimony, and behold, the staff of Aaron for the house of Levi had sprouted and put forth buds and produced blossoms, and it bore ripe almonds." - Numbers17.

"The LORD said to Moses, ?Cut for yourself two tablets of stone like the first, and I will write on the tablets the words that were on the first tablets, which you broke. Be ready by the morning, and come up in the morning to Mount Sinai, and present yourself there to me on the top of the mountain ... So Moses cut two tablets of stone like the first. And he rose early in the morning and went up on Mount Sinai, as the LORD had commanded him, and took in his hand two tablets of stone. The LORD descended in the cloud and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of the LORD ... And the LORD said to Moses, ?Write these words, for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel.? So he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights. He neither ate bread nor drank water. And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant, the Ten Commandments." - Exodus 34.
[close]

composer

Quote from: GratefulApe on October 15, 2016, 03:08:42 AM
The King of Babylon

Spoiler

4 that you will take up this taunt against the king of Babylon, and say,?How the oppressor has ceased,
And how fury has ceased!
[close]
||think||

Even your version agrees with me, not you & Co.

4 that you will take up this taunt against the king of Babylon, . . . . .

||popcorn||

eyeshaveit

"Arminianism is based on theological ideas of the Dutch Reformed theologian Jacobus Arminius (1560?1609) and his historic supporters known as Remonstrants." - Google.

What are the Five Points of Arminianism?

Spoiler
1 - Human Free Will - Everyone has free will and they may choose either to be saved or to resist God's call.

2 - Conditional Election - God uses foreknowledge to select those he will save (or not) on the basis of how they will respond to him.

3 - Universal Atonement - Jesus died on the cross so that everyone might be saved, but first a person must repent of sin and choose to accept salvation.

4 - Resistible Grace - Men and women can resist God's offer of grace.

5 - Fall From Grace - People can fall from grace at anytime during their life.

"Faiths leaning at least in part in the Arminian direction include Methodists, Free Will Baptists, Christian Churches and Churches of Christ, General Baptists, the Seventh-day Adventist Church, Church of the Nazarene, The Wesleyan Church, The Salvation Army, Conservative Mennonites, Old Order Mennonites, Amish and Charismatics." - Wikipedia
[close]

kevin

what is the first proposition of primitive christianity, revived?

Spoiler
QuoteThe First Proposition

Concerning the true Foundation of Knowledge.

Seeing the height of all happiness is placed in the true knowledge of God, ("This is life eternal, to know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom thou hast sent,") the true and right understanding of this foundation and ground of knowledge, is that which is most necessary to be known and believed in the first place.
[close]

eyeshaveit

"Then one of the twelve, whose name was Judas Iscariot, went to the chief priests and said, ?What will you give me if I deliver him over to you?? And they paid him thirty pieces of silver. And from that moment he sought an opportunity to betray him." - Matthew 26.

"And after a little while the bystanders again said to Peter, ?Certainly you are one of them, for you are a Galilean.? But he began to invoke a curse on himself and to swear, ?I do not know this man of whom you speak.?" - Mark 14.

Judas and Peter both betrayed and denied Christ. Judas hung himself and committed suicide, but Peter was restored to become a leader of the fledgling Christian Church.

Two men - two betrayals - two radically different outcomes - what made the difference?

Spoiler
Jesus prayed for Peter - he who later repented of his traitorous denial of Christ; whereas Judas - although remorseful, seemingly rejected Christ and freedom from sin:

The Son of Man goes as it is written of him, but woe to that man [Judas] by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been better for that man if he had not been born.? - Matthew 26.

?Satan demanded to have you, that he might sift you like wheat, but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned again, strengthen your brothers.? Peter said to him, ?Lord, I am ready to go with you both to prison and to death.? Jesus said, ?I tell you, Peter, the rooster will not crow this day, until you deny three times that you know me.? - Luke 22.
[close]

kevin

what is the second proposition of primitive christianity, revived?

Spoiler
The Second Proposition

Concerning Immediate Revelation.

Seeing "no man knoweth the Father but the Son, and he to whom the Son revealeth him;" and seeing the revelation of the Son is in and by the Spirit; therefore the testimony of the Spirit is that alone by which the true knowledge of God hath been, is, and can be only revealed; who as, by the moving of his own Spirit, he converted the chaos of this world into that wonderful order wherein it was in the beginning, and created man a living soul, to rule and govern it, so by the revelation of the same Spirit he hath manifested himself all along unto the sons of men, both patriarchs, prophets, and apostles; which revelations of God by the Spirit, whether by outward voices and appearances, dreams or inward objective manifestations in the hearts, were of old the formal object of their faith, and remain yet so to be; since the object of the saints' faith is the same in all ages, though set forth under diverse administrations.   

Moreover, these divine inward revelations, which we make absolutely necessary for the building up of true faith, neither do nor can ever contradict the outward testimony of the scriptures, or right and sound reason.   

Yet from hence it will not follow, that these divine revelations are to be subjected to the examination, either of the outward testimony of the scriptures, or of the natural reason of man, as to a more noble or certain rule or touchstone: for this divine and inward illumination, is that which is evident and clear of itself, forcing, by its own evidence and clearness, the well-disposed understanding to assent, irresistably moving the same thereunto; even as the common principles of natural truths move and incline the mind to a natural assent: as, that the whole is greater than its part; that two contradictory sayings cannot be both true, nor both false: which is also manifest, according to our adversaries' principle, who--supposing the possibility of inward divine revelations--will nevertheless confess with us, that neither scripture nor sound reason will contradict it: and yet it will not follow, according to them that the scripture, or sound reason, should be subjected to the examination of the divine revelations in the heart.
[close]

composer

Two men - two betrayals - two radically different outcomes - what made the difference?
[/quote]
||think||

Things like this happen in Story books, as their content is dictated by the humans that authored it!

||popcorn||

eyeshaveit

Explain the differences between the 'visible church' and the 'invisible church'?

Spoiler
The visible church are those stated believers, who comprise the 'roll call' of the Christian Church worldwide.

The invisible church is known only to God: including those Christians alive on earth and those who have previously died.

There is a disconnect in the numbers of the visible church because human perceptions cannot discern the "very large mixture of hypocrites, who have nothing of Christ but the name and outward appearance"  John Calvin - Institutes 4.

"[Jesus] put another parable before them, saying, ?The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a man who sowed good seed in his field, but while his men were sleeping, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat and went away. So when the plants came up and bore grain, then the weeds appeared also. And the servants of the master of the house came and said to him, ?Master, did you not sow good seed in your field? How then does it have weeds?? He said to them, ?An enemy has done this.? So the servants said to him, ?Then do you want us to go and gather them?? But he said, ?No, lest in gathering the weeds you root up the wheat along with them. Let both grow together until the harvest, and at harvest time I will tell the reapers, ?Gather the weeds first and bind them in bundles to be burned, but gather the wheat into my barn.??? - Matthew 13.
[close]

eyeshaveit

Egypt, Assyria, Babylon, Medo-Persia, Greece and Rome were all world powers - mighty armies who fought over the land that God had bequeathed to his people, the Israelites. In terms of size, what are some modern state equivalents to this ancient land bridge, so often overrun by the chariots of war?

Spoiler
"Ancient Palestine [half of it desert] comprised about 9,500 square miles" - A History of Ancient Israel and Judah - J. Maxwell Miller.   

The country of Belgium and the U.S. State of Vermont are close in size to ancient Israel:

Belgium maps out at "11,787 square miles" - Wikipedia.

Vermont maps out at "9,623 square miles" - Wikipedia.
[close]