News:

New members, please say hello to the forum in the Introductions board!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Science / HPAI - bird flu
Last post by Shnozzola - Today at 03:44:11 PM
QuoteThe U.S. [and countries around the world] is enduring an unprecedented poultry health disaster, with a highly contagious bird flu virus triggering the deaths of some 52.7 million animals.

The culprit is highly pathogenic avian influenza, or HPAI. It has ravaged farm flocks and chicken yards in 46 states since February, when the first cases were reported in commercial flocks.

A key part of the challenge, Webby says, is that like the SARS-CoV-2 virus, the avian flu virus has spun off several variants of concern. And right now, a specific version of the virus — known as clade 2.3.4.4b — is ruling the roost.

"You can think of that like an omicron variant" because of its wide prevalence, Webby says.

https://www.npr.org/2022/12/02/1140076426/what-we-know-about-the-deadliest-u-s-bird-flu-outbreak-in-history
Politics / Re: 2024 Presidential Election
Last post by Meat - Today at 03:24:23 PM
I remember when the joke was "old white men" running the R party, then Sniffer Joe came along. Now it's white supremacy if you're with the R's. Now I get it, it's a cheap shot like I call libs loons. The reality is I don't know one white supremacist amongst hundreds and hundreds of R's. Many are minorities in fact. I myself would vote D in a New York Minute if they'd present a quality candidate. Joe isn't even close nor his cackling sidekick. Both are an embarrassment in my opinion. Gavin Newcombe is their future I feel, not for me exactly but.....
Anything You Like / Re: Two More Years
Last post by kevin - Today at 12:50:52 PM
i hate that part
Last post by Dexter - Today at 12:32:35 PM
The problem is the date nominations close. If you want to vote republican you should still be able to, despite the candidate being dead. Your vote should still count. You can't just award another candidate the victory because his opponent died. 
Anything You Like / Two More Years
Last post by Meat - Today at 12:22:50 PM
You bastards don't know what it's like to do a DOT physical for your CDL, except Kevin. Luckily I'm still fit as a fiddle. No more ball grab though, the highlight!
Last post by Meat - Today at 12:19:17 PM
Dopes keep electing Patty Murray in Wa. based on that Mr B. She has yellow teeth.
Science / Re: AI
Last post by 8livesleft - Today at 09:18:14 AM
Quote from: Kiahanie on Today at 06:02:17 AM
Quote from: 8livesleft on Today at 01:59:54 AMAI could commandeer the satellite system and live off solar power. Safer in space as well.

The satellite system does not have the interconnectivity AI would require, and the solar power supplies are not sufficient to run the major computation thinking requires. They mostly just do navigation, communucation and and some control functions.

Power infrastructure of any sort involves energy transfer, which requires physical connections to be created and maintained.

AI taking over the world and keeping it is a cool plot but a poor bet.

That's with todays power requirement. Processors get faster and more efficient year after year. 

Similarly with interconnectivity. 

It's gonna be just a few generations of tech down the road. 
Last post by Kiahanie - Today at 06:02:17 AM
Quote from: 8livesleft on Today at 01:59:54 AMAI could commandeer the satellite system and live off solar power. Safer in space as well.

The satellite system does not have the interconnectivity AI would require, and the solar power supplies are not sufficient to run the major computation thinking requires. They mostly just do navigation, communucation and and some control functions.

Power infrastructure of any sort involves energy transfer, which requires physical connections to be created and maintained.

AI taking over the world and keeping it is a cool plot but a poor bet.
Last post by Mr. Blackwell - Today at 05:26:54 AM
How do insects bacteria humans or trees deal with earthquakes, tsunamis, forest fires or climate change? How would AI adapt and replenish itself if it took a step backwards from our design?
Last post by 8livesleft - Today at 04:23:51 AM
Quote from: Mr. Blackwell on Today at 02:47:26 AM
Quote from: kevin on Today at 01:29:33 AMhow would an autonomous AI fix itself if a fuse blew?

obtain new chips to replace burnt out ones?

mine the lithium for its batteries?

theres lots of physical stuff that goes into computing that isnt code

How would a human fix itself if it had a stroke? A heart attack? A building fall on it? That's what I'm saying, self awareness isn't self suffenciency. Most humans, individually, are not very self suffencient. We rely on a system built upon cooperation. But we each have individual awareness. We influence each other. Help each other. Hurt each other. I do not anticipate AI getting anywhere near our level in my lifetime. Especially since we are their creators.

What stories will they tell their future adaptations about us?

I think human level thinking would be a major step backward. AI would be better off copying ants, bees, bacteria, trees, or the planet itself - sans stupid people.