News:

New members, please say hello to the forum in the Introductions board!

Main Menu

Educating rich kids

Started by Kiahanie, April 09, 2024, 05:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiahanie

Our Daughter-in-law is a special ed teacher. She worked for public schools here, and has taken a job at a daycare in Grand Rapids. where they live now. The daycare has several locations. Dil's  main location is in a pretty ritzy neighborhood. Sometimes she works at another location in a middle income working class neighborhood. She has found remarkable differences.

At the upscale daycare Dil sees kids being regularly unsociable. They will take a toy away from another kid just to do it, not even to play with the toy. They establish cliques that pester those outside, especially those with lower economic status. The alpha dogs bully, the beta dogs are entitled.

The other daycare is near Dil's home. Neighborhoods are middle income working class. The kids share freely, cooperate with each other, will join another child in play without taking the toy away. All in all, they seem to be better socialized than the richer kids.

I have never been around preschool rich kids to get a sense of them. I find it hard to think Michigan children are all that different from elsewhere. Do any of you have experience comparable to Dil's?

"If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet ... maybe we could understand something." --Federico Fellini....."Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation" -Jellaludin Rumi,

none

Yeah most kids suck.
They are selfish cruel and sometimes articulate otherwise they just yell and scream
Most of the time they are plotting selfish motives...
 those are the ones that are in public, the ones hidden away and abused are different
They need to survive but the example they have doesn't seem that good yet some are nothing like the circle of selfish harmful influence around them.
If they make it to their teens they are seen as 'not my kid'and sometimes it's sad to see the choices they had to make.
I've met some they have a future and being alone makes them a target to the vultures selling drugs
Drugs don't offer a way out but it is a way up... glamourized everywhere... if it weren't for street drugs there wouldn't be music and the ugly side is it take a person down to depths that some never leave including the 6ft depth.
Church music is OK but all the sorrow is about one guy.
the candle can only be lit so many times.