News:

IGI has a myspace page.  Please add us if you're a myspace fiend!

Main Menu

Juror

Started by Meat, September 03, 2023, 06:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meat

Let's say you're on a jury panel and the judge reminds you no discussion of the case, no internet searches and etc etc. Do you Google the defendant's name for example?  I know what I did.
"Brilliant Meat!" +1 (composer)
"Amen Meat." (Former Believer)
"Like Meat said." (Francis)
"Not brilliant, Meat!" — Villanelle
"Damned right Meat." -Kusa
 "You call this comment censorship Meatless?" (Boobs)

Kiahanie

I would not Google on my own cellphone.
"If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet ... maybe we could understand something." --Federico Fellini....."Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation" -Jellaludin Rumi,

Shnozzola

Depends on the case.  I would not google a stranger's name.  If I was a juror for the OJ Simpson trial, I would have admitted to following the story with a bias that he is guilty. I would do the same in a Trump grand jury. I remember being called up during jury duty for a man suing black and decker for sawing off a finger. The lawyer asks those who had used black and decker tools to be dismissed, and I, the proud owner of several tools, gladly went back down to the jury pool to continue reading my book.
Ironically, the myriad  of "god" beliefs of humanity are proving to be more dangerous than us learning that we are on our own, making the way we treat each other far more important

kevin

Quote from: Meat on September 03, 2023, 06:50:15 PMLet's say you're on a jury panel and the judge reminds you no discussion of the case, no internet searches and etc etc. Do you Google the defendant's name for example?  I know what I did.

i would not until i heard the evidence. after that i might. dunno.
may you bathe i the blood of a thousand sheep

wabbit111

Certainly not!
Don't quote me on that........

Meat

I'm going to let this ride before I post what I did.

Maria-Juana

Quote from: kevin on September 03, 2023, 08:41:57 PM
Quote from: Meat on September 03, 2023, 06:50:15 PMLet's say you're on a jury panel and the judge reminds you no discussion of the case, no internet searches etc, etc. Do you Google the defendant's name for example?  I know what I did.

I would not until I heard the evidence. After that, I might. dunno.
I was thinking the same thing, but then I thought, what if Google reveals he/she is an asshole? 
I have to live knowing he is an innocent asshole, thanks to me.
||Kerly||
"In vino veritas." 🍷
—Pliny the Elder

Meat

No peeking, no discussion. I like to be the best when I do something.  ||popcorn||

8livesleft

That is TOUGH for famous folk...hard not to be biased unless we're given coded names...

8livesleft

I don't know if the Trump cases follows a jury system but I mean, how the heck can you expect to get completely unbiased jurors when the country appears to have very strong pro/against sentiments.

Even getting people from other countries wouldn't help much...

Meat

One holdout and Trumpy goes free. One pardon and Trumpy goes free.
One payoff and Trump...

8livesleft

Quote from: Meat on September 06, 2023, 03:17:14 AMOne holdout and Trumpy goes free. One pardon and Trumpy goes free.
One payoff and Trump...

Jeez so it doesn't matter how strong the case against him is??

Meat

Quote from: 8livesleft on September 06, 2023, 03:27:27 AM
Quote from: Meat on September 06, 2023, 03:17:14 AMOne holdout and Trumpy goes free. One pardon and Trumpy goes free.
One payoff and Trump...

Alex Baldwin blew a lady in two, no charges yet. This is a pattern and always has been in the US, privilege.

Boots

Quote from: Meat on September 06, 2023, 12:55:09 PM
One payoff and Trump...

Alex Baldwin blew a lady in two, no charges yet. This is a pattern and always has been in the US, privilege.

oh come on now.  On a movie set, where he had the expectation that the gun was not loaded?  What do you actually expect to happen to him???

to answer your OP, absolutely effing not.  I owe it to the justice system as a concept, and the defendant individually, to minimize whatever bias I might have otherwise taken into the courtroom.
Religion=institutionalized superstition

Apologetics=the art of making s**t up to make other made-up s**t sound more plausible

"To not believe in god is to know that it falls to us to make the world a better place."

~Sam Harris

Meat

Quote from: Boots on September 06, 2023, 01:55:28 PM
One payoff and Trump...

oh come on now.  On a movie set, where he had the expectation that the gun was not loaded?  What do you actually expect to happen to him???

to answer your OP, absolutely effing not.  I owe it to the justice system as a concept, and the defendant individually, to minimize whatever bias I might have otherwise taken into the courtroom.
Well I disagree with your take on Alex but, I also would never ever Google or discuss the case before I was allowed to as a juror. Character is a big thing to me. My hunch is my fellow jurors were naughty in a big case I was involved in, naughty!   ||popcorn||

Maria-Juana

QuoteCharacter is a big thing to me. My hunch is my fellow jurors were naughty in a big case I was involved in, naughty!  ||popcorn||
Did you say something?
"In vino veritas." 🍷
—Pliny the Elder

Meat

Quote from: Maria-Juana on September 06, 2023, 09:11:16 PM
QuoteCharacter is a big thing to me. My hunch is my fellow jurors were naughty in a big case I was involved in, naughty!  ||popcorn||
Did you say something?
It was just a hunch, much of it processed later in my head.

8livesleft

One payoff and Trump...

Well, he was pretty good in The Shadow at least

Meat

Quote from: 8livesleft on September 07, 2023, 04:41:04 AM
One payoff and Trump...

Well, he was pretty good in The Shadow at least
I liked him in The Hunt for Red October.  In real life he's a POS so perhaps I'm biased here. I do know about gun safety, Alex was the last in line handling it so...I'd be a man and forever blame myself.

Meat

I had another case where a gentleman was petitioning to get his release from a mental hospital, he represented himself. At one point I started dying laughing and I was juror number 1! I had nowhere to hide. When it was all over we headed into the jury room and heard some noise, he tried to run out. Omg! I felt really bad for the guy but we kept him where he'd be safe.

Mark

No. I'd want to give them a fair trial.

Btw this is my 300th post I think!
Mark's contribution to chess opening theory:
https://marksopening.blogspot.com

Maria-Juana

Quote from: 8livesleft on September 06, 2023, 02:57:52 AMI don't know if the Trump cases follows a jury system but I mean, how the heck can you expect to get completely unbiased jurors when the country appears to have very strong pro/against sentiments?

One should base the verdict based on the facts and evidence presented in court, not on who you are or public opinion.

However, evidence can be presented and the lawyers can make you see something that's not there. The Rodney King case comes to mind. Remember the beating he got from the LAPD? The lawyers talked about the beating on the video frame-by-frame until the jury became desensitized and found the brutal beating justified.
||dunce|| ||dunce|| ||dunce|| ||dunce|| 

—And the city burned.
||smite|| ||smite|| ||smite|| ||smite||

We just have to wait and hear Trump's side of the story. But so far, all he says is "I had the right to do whatever I wanted." 
—Good luck with that defense.
||Kerly||
"In vino veritas." 🍷
—Pliny the Elder

kevin

it wont ever happen, but i would love to trump take the witness stand.

Maria-Juana

Quote from: kevin on September 07, 2023, 09:09:43 PMit wont ever happen, but i would love for  trump take the witness stand.

A lawyer can't afford to have Trump suddenly tell the truth on the witness stand. I can see a lot of people doing this as he speaks:
||facepalm2||
"In vino veritas." 🍷
—Pliny the Elder

8livesleft

Quote from: Maria-Juana on September 08, 2023, 12:09:37 AM
Quote from: kevin on September 07, 2023, 09:09:43 PMit wont ever happen, but i would love for  trump take the witness stand.

A lawyer can't afford to have Trump suddenly tell the truth on the witness stand. I can see a lot of people doing this as he speaks:
||facepalm2||

You don't think he'll "take the 5th" a thousand or so times?

Maria-Juana

Quote from: 8livesleft on September 08, 2023, 02:56:12 AM
Quote from: kevin on September 07, 2023, 09:09:43 PMIt won't ever happen, but I would love for Trump to take the witness stand.

||facepalm2||

I'm not sure if he can do that in these cases, but even if he could, why would he? He is eager to tell his side of the story but this time in local, state, and federal court.
—not the public court.
Right?
||unsure||

Wait.
 I don't even think he knows there's a difference.

Anyways...
He doesn't wanna be saved, don't save him. Let him speak, I mean, explain the discrepancies.
||cheesy||
"In vino veritas." 🍷
—Pliny the Elder

8livesleft

Quote from: Maria-Juana on September 08, 2023, 04:41:01 AM
Quote from: kevin on September 07, 2023, 09:09:43 PMIt won't ever happen, but I would love for Trump to take the witness stand.

||facepalm2||

I'm not sure if he can do that in these cases, but even if he could, why would he? He is eager to tell his side of the story but this time in local, state, and federal court.
—not the public court.
Right?
||unsure||

Wait.

Anyways...
He doesn't wanna be saved, don't save him. Let him speak, I mean, explain the discrepancies.
||cheesy||

Ooh...conjuring that scene in my head of jack nicholson vs tom cruise where tom goaded jack into implicating himself...

Trump: You Want me on that wall, you Need me on that wall

Wall = Mar A Lago

Hehe

Maria-Juana

Quote from: 8livesleft on September 08, 2023, 04:56:09 AM
Quote from: Maria-Juana on September 08, 2023, 04:41:01 AM

||facepalm2||

—not the public court.
Right?
||unsure||

Wait.

Anyways...
||cheesy||

Ooh...conjuring that scene in my head of jack nicholson vs tom cruise where tom goaded jack into implicating himself...

Trump: You Want me on that wall, you Need me on that wall

Wall = Mar A Lago

Hehe
Yes.
A Few Good Men.
||Kerly||
—Maybe we "can't handle the truth."

"In vino veritas." 🍷
—Pliny the Elder

kevin

i can still wish

Maria-Juana

"In vino veritas." 🍷
—Pliny the Elder

Kiahanie

Quote from: kevin on September 07, 2023, 09:09:43 PMit wont ever happen, but i would love to trump take the witness stand.

At the rate he lies, perjury could put him away longer than guilty verdicts.
"If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet ... maybe we could understand something." --Federico Fellini....."Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation" -Jellaludin Rumi,

kevin

i dont think he consciously lies

i think he says something three times, then he believes it forever

Maria-Juana

Quote from: kevin on September 08, 2023, 09:24:33 PMI don't think he consciously lies

I think he says something three times, then he believes it forever
He knows he lies. That makes him unfit to be president...well, that makes him unfit to work anywhere.
||shrug||
"In vino veritas." 🍷
—Pliny the Elder

Meat

Other than the creature that sat next to me smelling of booze and the ex-firefighter getting tough with me during deliberations, nothing else significant during the big case stands out. I got a certificate, yeah the certificate.