News:

IGI has a myspace page.  Please add us if you're a myspace fiend!

Main Menu

POLL: Should IGI block problematic characters?

Started by Kiahanie, January 24, 2023, 08:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should IGI block problematic characters?

Yes
2 (40%)
No
2 (40%)
Abstain
0 (0%)
On the fence
1 (20%)
Unclear on the issues
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Kiahanie

quote author=Mooby the Golden Sock link=msg=933234 date=1674592124]
IGI has a feature called ModSecurity that blocks characters it think may be part of a hacking attempt.  You can try disabling this feature on the forum backend since the forum software itself has its own security and it's likely overkill.
[/quote]
Thanks, Mooby.

There are apparently two filters that look for and block problematic characters: both SMF software and an IGI function check and block.

So, shall we disable the IGI filter?

Anybody have opinions?
"If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet ... maybe we could understand something." --Federico Fellini....."Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation" -Jellaludin Rumi,

kevin

this place has only been successfully hacked once that i know of.

make it easy on people and disable the filter. put it back if necessary
anytime an atheist says that somebody else is wrong, or has some sort of inferior way of looking at the world, its reasonable to ask on what basis they are making that judgement. if they have no answer, you can disregard what they say -- tom terrific

8livesleft

Quote from: kevin on January 24, 2023, 10:08:33 PMthis place has only been successfully hacked once that i know of.

make it easy on people and disable the filter. put it back if necessary

I agree with Kevin

Dexter

Yes, disable the IGI filter. Keep the SMF filter.
"Here is no water but only rock
Rock and no water and the sandy road"
― T.S. Eliot, The Waste Land

Admin Moo

This was actually an issue with Unicode, not with ModSecurity.  So we'll leave the plugin enabled and the Unicode issue should now be fixed.

Kiahanie

"If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet ... maybe we could understand something." --Federico Fellini....."Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation" -Jellaludin Rumi,

Mark

If we vote NOT  to block problematic characters, does Inertialmass's ban get lifted? :-)
Mark's contribution to chess opening theory:
https://marksopening.blogspot.com

Kiahanie

lol.

Mooby has taken care of one cause of "failure to upload." Problem was a mismatched ASCII character set, so our filter should be working now.

I was successful at posting unedited dictionary entries, which caused most of my previous problems.

There may be other reasons for aborted downloads. UnkleE may have encountered one.

Please report issues to the Tech Support board. Helps us keep track of who is experiencing what.

Shnozzola

Yes, disappointing to think new members were being turned away because of a glitch.  I remember how much fun WWGHA's mailbox was, getting driveby damnationers all the time.  🙂
Ironically, the myriad  of "god" beliefs of humanity are proving to be more dangerous than us learning that we are on our own, making the way we treat each other far more important

Kiahanie

That was a different glitch. Mooby has 2 successful de-glitching ops this past week: failure to register and failure to upload.

Good work Mooby.