News:

IGI has a Facebook group!

Main Menu

the neutral thread

Started by kevin, November 24, 2022, 07:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin

im a bit weary of the antagonism in the forum lately. for my part i havent done much to reduce it, i freely admit.

so here is a thread where people can discuss anything of interest, so long as they can be civil about it.

hostility of any kind is off-topic, please.

any subject is appropriate, but if you want to be mean, this is not the place.
dare to know.

kevin

happy thanksgiving

today is a sunny 60 F, the bees are flying, there are still cricket nymphs on the warm concrete, and i saw a butterfly yesterday.

dunno much about butterflies, but if i did i might call it a fritillary.

very quiet in the mornings, as most all the birds have gone to the equator
dare to know.

Kiahanie

Pretty quiet here on the western front, except for the Vs of geese. Used to be their flicks would fill the skies for hours over the coast range.

Heavy fog in the morning, cool and gray during the day. Maple tree and blueberries sre nearly bare, Apple trees still lewfy. Squirrels busy gathering and burying neighbors walnuts. The remnants of our junco flock have returned, and the littler goldfinches are in the Port Orford cedar across the street. All seems well in our corner of the world.

Everybody have a happy healthy holiday.
"If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet ... maybe we could understand something." --Federico Fellini....."Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation" -Jellaludin Rumi,

Kiahanie

And turkeys!!!

There used to a mated pair of turkeys that would roost in the neighbor's walnut tree over our backyard. They spent daylight on the butte a couple blocks from our placd. One winter after before the pandemic found Old Tom on the road. Winter kill. Lady Hen did not come back to roost, rarely saw her.

This fall we have a resident hen and her two juveniles in the neighborhood. Doubt it is Lady Hen, though. They are living up on the butte, getting bolder over time. Just saw them strut their stuff down the street in front of the house.

Hope they avoid Old Tom's fate.
"If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet ... maybe we could understand something." --Federico Fellini....."Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation" -Jellaludin Rumi,

kevin

our turkey s**ts on the porch and tries to screw the chickens
dare to know.

Jstwebbrowsing

There's a whole flock that visits my dad's house.
But the greatest one among you must be your minister.  Whoever exalts himself will be humbled,
and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Mt 23:11,12

GratefulApe

kevin

i had geese every late morning andearly evening until tje  domegimr last month. thought yhey were hoing to stay but theyre gone now
dare to know.

Kiahanie

Yup. Those domegimrs will do it every time.

maritime

I'm wondering which IGI members are mods.
Thanks for the info, here or over in About this Forum.

Countdown to Dec 21 and Dec 31.
Made travel plans, time off from work ||grin||.
Drawing up gingerbread (dog) house plans too (think Snoopy but actually for Josie).

Jstwebbrowsing

We have a lot of coyotes around where we live, and some bobcats.  Occasionally we see them.  They're pretty and surprisingly healthy.  Coincidentally, there is a serious lack of rabbits and squirrels.  Oh, we get some pretty good-sized snakes too, but I'm not a big fan.

My wife is a bird lover, so in the season we have lots of birds.  She really likes hummingbirds, and we get a lot of those too.  They're pretty cool.  I want some crows because I heard they bring you gifts, but I've not seen a single one in the five years we've been here.

I rarely see geese.  Sometimes some would visit the neighbor's pond, but that dried up this summer.

But the greatest one among you must be your minister.  Whoever exalts himself will be humbled,
and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Mt 23:11,12

maritime

kevin

Quote from: Kiahanie on Yesterday at 04:41:04 AMYup. Those domegimrs will do it every time.

lol

little buttons, poor eyesight
dare to know.

kevin

Quote from: Jstwebbrowsing on Yesterday at 05:40:10 AMWe have a lot of coyotes around where we live, and some bobcats.  Occasionally we see them.  They're pretty and surprisingly healthy.  Coincidentally, there is a serious lack of rabbits and squirrels.  Oh, we get some pretty good-sized snakes too, but I'm not a big fan.

My wife is a bird lover, so in the season we have lots of birds.  She really likes hummingbirds, and we get a lot of those too.  They're pretty cool.  I want some crows because I heard they bring you gifts, but I've not seen a single one in the five years we've been here.

I rarely see geese.  Sometimes some would visit the neighbor's pond, but that dried up this summer.

no crows?

tberes a major wintering ground south of you about an hour. trying tobremember.

8 million crows overwinter there. if you call the ornithologist at OUs zoology department they will know
dare to know.

GratefulApe

kevin

my cats brought in a baby weasel. first one ive ever seen. no more than six inches long , but full dentition.

ive seen mink around here twice. theres a huge variety of weird eastern animals that you will never see unless you specifically go looking
dare to know.

Meat

I'm going up to see The Finlander this morning, about 12 tubs of food for him to freeze heading that way too. The last time I was up there a lady down the street was hitting on him. Geez lady, at least let her get her headstone in place before you...
"Brilliant Meat!" +1 (composer)
"Amen Meat." (Former Believer)
"Like Meat said." (Francis)
"Not brilliant, Meat!" — Villanelle
"Damned right Meat." -Kusa

Kiahanie

Quote from: maritime on Yesterday at 05:31:15 AMI'm wondering which IGI members are mods.
Thanks for the info, here or over in About this Forum.

Countdown to Dec 21 and Dec 31.
Made travel plans, time off from work ||grin||.
Drawing up gingerbread (dog) house plans too (think Snoopy but actually for Josie).

Post photos of the doghouse when done? Is Josie a dog or a human?

GratefulApe

Tens of thousands of minks have escaped from a fur farm in northern Ohio, local police reported.

Up to 40,000 of the carnivorous mammals were released from their cages and set free from the farm in Hoaglin Township.

Van Wert County Sheriff Thomas Riggenbach said on Tuesday that his office was investigating a breaking and entering and vandalism complaint at Lion Farms USA Mink Farm.

More to the story in the link

Kiahanie

Free the Minks!

Maybe not a good idea.

40,000 of those beasts could have a significant ecological impsct.  Kevin's cat was helping restore balance.

Good kitty.

maritime

I will post a photo if ever I can figure that out in this new forum format.

maritime

A photo of Josie too (dog).

kevin

it was an animal rights group. they let them go and so many were killed by traffic they had to clean with a front end loader, apparently.

farmed mink are not wild animals

PETA activists let a whole bunch of lab rabbits loose once. they also wete mainly killed on the roads and the rest were just picked up by techs the next day.

i detest fur harvesting and lab animal abuse but just letting them go doesnt help them.
dare to know.