News:

Are you in the IGI Yearbook?

Main Menu

2023 Predictions

Started by Meat, November 01, 2022, 01:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Blackwell

Quote from: Meat on January 22, 2023, 02:49:48 AMAlex Baldwin will be acquitted too. His wife will be jailed however for being a fake Spanish lady.
I mean, SOMEBODY has to pay the price of a life lost. Just not the rich and famouse. We are but mere whipping boys to the elite. 
Unrestricted free speech, paradoxically, results in less speech, not more. - Yoel Roth

Emma286

Quote from: Meat on January 22, 2023, 02:49:48 AMAlex Baldwin will be acquitted too. His wife will be jailed however for being a fake Spanish lady.
What's the man done?

I predict Amber Heard's public reputation will continue to be tarnished. And that she'll get no further chance to leave any more unexpected accidents on anybody's mattress!
"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed."

Albert Einstein

kevin

Quote from: Emma286 on February 03, 2023, 06:38:51 PM
What's the man done?

accused of involuntary manslaughter.

he is an actor who pointed a loaded and c**ked prop gun at someone and pulled the trigger. the prop gun was a real gun with real cartridges in it, and he killed someone.

its a crime because he was negligent in confirming that his real weapon was not loaded with real ammunition. apparently his job on the production had responsibility for confirming that the weapons were not loaded with live ammunition.

if he can prove that he had a reasonable expectation that the weapon was not so loaded, he will get off. the prosecution must prove that his expectation that the weapon was harmless was not reasonable.
may you bathe i the blood of a thousand sheep

Kiahanie

I hope the jury has gun owners in it. It is never reasonable to assume a firearm is unloaded.
"If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet ... maybe we could understand something." --Federico Fellini....."Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation" -Jellaludin Rumi,

kevin

it is the most stupid thing in the world to use real guns capable of firing as props

apparently live ammunition is kept on sets to test the guns

this is mindless and we see the result

Emma286

Quote from: kevin on February 04, 2023, 05:18:14 PM
What's the man done?

he is an actor who pointed a loaded and c**ked prop gun at someone and pulled the trigger. the prop gun was a real gun with real cartridges in it, and he killed someone.

its a crime because he was negligent in confirming that his real weapon was not loaded with real ammunition. apparently his job on the production had responsibility for confirming that the weapons were not loaded with live ammunition.

if he can prove that he had a reasonable expectation that the weapon was not so loaded, he will get off. the prosecution must prove that his expectation that the weapon was harmless was not reasonable.

What's the man done?

What's the man done?

That does ring a bell. Some while ago I read that story but can't recall where. I didn't know what to think of it one way or th3 other!

I have to wonder if a trusted colleague told him the gun was unloaded and as he trusted them he automatically took their word for it without double checking! Still even if that was the case I have my doubts that sort of thing would be easy to prove! Would just be his word against the other person's.
"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed."

Albert Einstein

kevin

there is a professional gun wrangler on the set and lots of industry-standard procedures to keep this from happening. but they clearly were not observed by a number of people. i imagine he will be acquitted and the armourer will get tbe shaft

Kiahanie

Regardless of his intention to kill, he did kill, and prior to the killing he intentionally broke the rules which, as producer, he had the responsibility of enforcing.

Think of a Tesla driver doing crosswords when their EV smacks a pedestrian. Active intentional negligence.

But Kevin is right, the smug bastard will walk and the underling will hang. That's how our justice system works: the bottom of the totem pole is the guiltiest. Musk will not suffer for the couple dozen killings his "self-driving" has caused.
"If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet ... maybe we could understand something." --Federico Fellini....."Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation" -Jellaludin Rumi,

Emma286

Quote from: Kiahanie on February 04, 2023, 10:53:10 PMRegardless of his intention to kill, he did kill, and prior to the killing he intentionally broke the rules which, as producer, he had the responsibility of enforcing.

Think of a Tesla driver doing crosswords when their EV smacks a pedestrian. Active intentional negligence.

But Kevin is right, the smug bastard will walk and the underling will hang. That's how our justice system works: the bottom of the totem pole is the guiltiest. Musk will not suffer for the couple dozen killings his "self-driving
Quote from: kevin on February 04, 2023, 09:56:50 PMthere is a professional gun wrangler on the set and lots of industry-standard procedures to keep this from happening. but they clearly were not observed by a number of people. i imagine he will be acquitted and the armourer will get tbe shaft
Quote from: kevin on February 04, 2023, 09:56:50 PMthere is a professional gun wrangler on the set and lots of industry-standard procedures to keep this from happening. but they clearly were not observed by a number of people. i imagine he will be acquitted and the armourer will get tbe shaft
Quote from: Kiahanie on February 04, 2023, 10:53:10 PMRegardless of his intention to kill, he did kill, and prior to the killing he intentionally broke the rules which, as producer, he had the responsibility of enforcing.

But Kevin is right, the smug bastard will walk and the underling will hang. That's how our justice system works: the bottom of the totem pole is the guiltiest. Musk will not suffer for the couple dozen killings his "self-driving" has caused.

Ah! So it went beyond his just acting in a movie or to show (not that that wouldn't have still been bad  - he was actually a producer. Thanks for pointing that out. 

I do appreciate your point. And definitely think he should do the same amount of prison time as anyone else caught out for doing it. 

I hope if he does walk free nobody will let him work as a producer again at the very least. 

Albert Einstein

Meat

5000 plus gone. At least we still have our internet.
"Brilliant Meat!" +1 (composer)
"Amen Meat." (Former Believer)
"Like Meat said." (Francis)
"Not brilliant, Meat!" — Villanelle
"Damned right Meat." -Kusa
 "You call this comment censorship Meatless?" (Boobs)

Dexter

New York Thunder will run 3rd in the Kentucky Derby
I begin today by acknowledging the Ngarluma people, Traditional Custodians of the land on which I work and live, and pay my respects to their Elders past and present. I extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.

Mr. Blackwell

If you are under 60 years old, make yourself useful. Forget about retirement. If you are over 60...good luck. 
Unrestricted free speech, paradoxically, results in less speech, not more. - Yoel Roth

Meat

Wait, we'll over 7000 gone now in Turkey. In America we clap at an old fart reading a canned speech.

Mr. Blackwell

Quote from: Meat on February 08, 2023, 01:08:57 PMWait, we'll over 7000 gone now in Turkey. In America we clap at an old fart reading a canned speech.
Jeez, it's that high now? Damn. If we werent so busy with our proxy war with Russia we could probably do something to help. Priorites. But at least we have the best economy in American history right now. Right? 

Meat

Quote from: Mr. Blackwell on February 08, 2023, 02:13:24 PM
Quote from: Meat on February 08, 2023, 01:08:57 PMWait, we'll over 7000 gone now in Turkey. In America we clap at an old fart reading a canned speech.
Jeez, it's that high now? Damn. If we werent so busy with our proxy war with Russia we could probably do something to help. Priorites. But at least we have the best economy in American history right now. Right?
Word on the street is The Second Husband kissed the First Lady so he could taste the POTUS! Nobody predicted that!!! ||beerchug||

Mr. Blackwell

The kiss seen round the world. The still image is much more dramatic than the video but still...who does that? My wife and I still get along, we are cordial but we don't kiss anymore. She leaned in to hug me the other day and caught me by surprise. Doesn't mean anything but maybe I'm the weird one for not kissing my wife's friends on the lips to say "hello"

Meat

Quote from: Mr. Blackwell on February 08, 2023, 03:12:35 PMThe kiss seen round the world. The still image is much more dramatic than the video but still...who does that? My wife and I still get along, we are cordial but we don't kiss anymore. She leaned in to hug me the other day and caught me by surprise. Doesn't mean anything but maybe I'm the weird one for not kissing my wife's friends on the lips to say "hello"

Freaks at the top of the mountain Blackwell.
Aunt Mavis tried kissing me on the lips at Thanksgiving once, thank God I turned in the nick of time. Yuck!

Mr. Blackwell

What's funny to me is that I had no idea Kamala was married. 

Meat

Quote from: Mr. Blackwell on February 09, 2023, 11:16:38 AMWhat's funny to me is that I had no idea Kamala was married.
The one guy on the planet that can tolerate her cackling.

Meat

20,000 or so gone now. It's not thread worthy because......

kevin

19000 was what it took in 1999 to collapse the government and bring erdogan to power

Mark

Quote from: Mark on December 25, 2022, 01:55:24 PMA Chinese woman will win the Women's World Chess Championship. (I might even decide which one at some point. I'm trying to get these in before the end of 2022 though.)
Just realised the other day; the final match has started. I haven't seen the results of any of the games so far, honestly. I predict Ju Wenjun will win it.
Mark's contribution to chess opening theory:
https://marksopening.blogspot.com

Ratman

The 49er's will win the superbowl!! ||grin||
There's no real relationship between what a person believes and what their religion ostensibly teaches them to believe.

Mark

Quote from: Mark on January 14, 2023, 11:30:22 AMMark's pre-season predictions 2023

Domestic League Championships:

Argentina: Racing Club
Brazil: Palmeiras
Uruguay: Nacional
Paraguay: Cerro Porteno
Chile: Colo Colo                                                Promotion: Cobreloa
Italy: Internazionale
Spain: Real Madrid
Netherlands: Ajax
Portugal: Benfica
France: Paris St. Germain                                  French Cup: Paris St. Germain
Scotland: Celtic                                                Scottish Cup: Celtic
Germany: Bayern Munchen                                German Cup: Bayern Munchen
                                                                      Promotion: Hamburger SV
International tournaments:

Copa Libertadores: Palmeiras

Asian Nations Cup: It won't be played in 2023
CONCACAF Gold Cup: USA

Women's football:

Domestic League Championships:

France: Lyon                                                        French Cup: Lyon
      RU: Paris St. Germain
Germany: Wolfsburg                                              German Cup: Wolfsburg
        RU: Bayern Munchen
USA: OL Reign

International tournaments:

European Champions League: Barcelona

World Cup: Germany
Just counted these up.
13 correct
4 predicted winners that ended runners-up
6 predicted winners that ended 3rd/losing semi-finalists
1 predicted runner-up that were Champions! ; which is as good as a predicted winner finishing runners-up.
I predicted Wolfsburg would win the German women's League and Bayern Munchen would finish runners-up. Bayern Munchen were Champions and Wolfsburg were runners-up.

Not to mention 1 predicted winner that were beaten quarter-finalists

Kiahanie

Your crystal ball looks profitable. If you had bet €10,000  how would you have done?

Mark

I don't know. I don't know what the odds were for any of them.

Mark

Quote from: Mark on December 25, 2022, 01:55:24 PMIan Nepomniatchi or however you spell it will win the World Chess Championship.
A Chinese woman will win the Women's World Chess Championship. (I might even decide which one at some point. I'm trying to get these in before the end of 2022 though.)
Australia will win the netball World Cup.
Real Madrid will win the 2022 Club World Cup (which for some strange reason is being played in 2023).
Ukraine will win the war against Russia. (Either that, or World War 3 will start. Who knows? maybe even both will happen.)
Ding Liren won the World Chess Championship. It was close though.
Ju Wenjun won the Women's World Chess Championship, as I predicted.
Australia won the netball World Cup.
Real Madrid won the Club World Cup.
Ukraine haven't won the war yet. If they win it eventually, does this count as half a correct prediction or anything?

3 out of 5 correct predictions. Not bad. Not great either though.

meAgain

Kiahanie

^^^^^ I fear you may be right.