News:

New members, please say hello to the forum in the Introductions board!

Main Menu

Gender Roles

Started by Jstwebbrowsing, May 05, 2022, 12:45:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jstwebbrowsing

While I don't think people should be limited by their gender, I do find some gender roles to be reasonable and natural.  If we are talking about natural childbirth, then absolutely necessary.

Opinions?

But the greatest one among you must be your minister.  Whoever exalts himself will be humbled,
and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Mt 23:11,12

Kiahanie

Childbirth has generally been a woman's role, but I have no objection to a man giving medically-sided birth.
"If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet ... maybe we could understand something." --Federico Fellini....."Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation" -Jellaludin Rumi,

Mr. Blackwell

Men give birth naturally. 
At this time the answer is not no. The question is why?

Meat

The ladies plug the vacuum and the men fix it.
"Brilliant Meat!" +1 (composer)
"Amen Meat." (Former Believer)
"Like Meat said." (Francis)
"Not brilliant, Meat!" — Villanelle
"Damned right Meat." -Kusa

Jstwebbrowsing

Hmm, my wife fixed the vacuum.   ||unsure||
But the greatest one among you must be your minister.  Whoever exalts himself will be humbled,

Mr. Blackwell

I open the door for everybody. Haven't had a woman yell at me but men say "thank you" more.

kevin

dare to know.

Jstwebbrowsing

Me too, but I make a special effort to open the door if I am with a woman.  I will not sit in the car and let her pump gas.  I won't let her carry heavy stuff or change a tire etc., etc.

Jehovah gave headship to the husband.  This has been misused and abused and made oppressive in many instances.

But the Bible likens husbandly headship to that of Christ's treatment of his disciples.  Christ taught them that the greatest of them would be the servant and he set that example by even washing their feet.  Christ himself didn't come to be served but to serve others. 

To carry that over to marriage that means husbands out to serve their wives.  Somewhere along the line it became the other way around and men became authoritarian and abused their power.  That's what's oppressive, not biblical headship.

Mr. Blackwell

Quote from: Jstwebbrowsing on June 18, 2022, 09:53:26 PMMe too, but I make a special effort to open the door if I am with a woman.  I will not sit in the car and let her pump gas.  I won't let her carry heavy stuff or change a tire etc., etc.

I tried to do all that for my wife at the beginning. But she is from Texas and has some sort of warped sense of either pride or insecurity. Anyway, after 5 or so years, I got tired of racing her. If she want's to do the heavy lifting so bad have at it.

But now she thinks I'm lazy. And will tell you I have always been this way. I think she just has a low opinion of men in general and me in particular because I don't do exactly what she wants me to do at the exact moment she expects it to be done.

Seriously, the only reason she wants me to be head of the houshold and be in charge is so she can complain about how I don't do it right.

Meat

The men gather the meat, the ladies cook it.

Jstwebbrowsing

Serving her does not necessarily mean doing those things for her.  If your wife has need to do some things herself, you can serve her by accommodating that while still being as helpful as possible. 

Biblical headship doesn't mean being "in charge" just like Christ was not in charge.  God is in charge.  It just means taking the lead.  That may mean even taking a back seat.  Identify her needs and fulfill them as long as doing so doesn't mean abandoning godly principles.  Ideally you want her to reciprocate.  Lead by example.

But that doesn't mean becoming a doormat.  Serving her doesn't mean she rules over you either.  Do not be accommodating to her treating you badly.  Sometimes you may have to take a stand.

Meat

The man fixes her brakes and the lady rewards him with a delicious sandwich.

Kiahanie

I fix my wife's garden tools and she grows stuff to eat.

I haven't hunted or fished for a long time. Haven't gathered much, either.
"If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet ... maybe we could understand something." --Federico Fellini....."Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation" -Jellaludin Rumi,

Mr. Blackwell

This conversation....this topic...Gender Roles. 

We are not the cast in a play.  I do not look upon a man who does not know how to rebuild a carburetor as inferior. I do not look upon a woman who knows how to make the perfect Reuben as superior. 

Gender roles are bulls**t. Ageism is gulls**t. 

If we can't figure out how to work together we are bulls**t. 

Fertilizer for a future civilisation. 

kevin

no carburetors since the 1980s, man.
dare to know.

Mr. Blackwell

My bad. Manufacturing catalytic converters then. 

Shnozzola

Ironically, the myriad  of "god" beliefs of humanity are proving to be more dangerous than us learning that we are on our own, making the way we treat each other far more important