News:

New members, please say hello to the forum in the Introductions board!

Main Menu

Government Cheese

Started by GratefulApe, March 31, 2022, 01:03:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GratefulApe

I just posted that song in the music thread. I was wondering if anyone on this forum who cares to speak of it ever had government issued food. When we were young we had plenty of government cheese and all kinds of food from the government. We had powdered milk and other food and clothing and gift benefits.

We kind of got ahead pretty fast after a while but we didn't start out ahead. We also never owned a laundry until I was a teenager. We went to the laundry mat. We did laundry for 7 people at a laundry mat.

So when I heard that song I knew exactly what it was talking about. Those big blocks of government cheese.

Kiahanie

Government cheese, spam, I remember the powdered milk. Ecccch. But it covered the flavor of the water.
"If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet ... maybe we could understand something." --Federico Fellini....."Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation" -Jellaludin Rumi,

GratefulApe

My mom got us hooked up with a government program where we had our health monitored. We got free breakfast food and we had to check into a clinic every 3 months or so.

I still like powered milk. I never drink regular milk never have but I also don't get powered milk either but if I had my choice it would be powdered 

Kiahanie

I like powdered milk niw. When the lockdown began we started using canned milk. A year ago or so we switched to powdered and surprisingly really liked it. Probably will not go back to the liquid stuff.
"If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet ... maybe we could understand something." --Federico Fellini....."Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation" -Jellaludin Rumi,

Meat

Other than jokes I know nothing about that cheese. We weren't wealthy but as far as I know, never got assistance of any kind. I remember when my first kid was born we got milk vouchers or something from the hospital I think. We didn't really need them but if I recall correctly we got 2 or 3 gallons before saying nah. I suppose collecting unemployment checks is assistance but I haven't done that since the early 90's. In those days there truly weren't many jobs available but, I didn't do an honest search either. Boo.
"Brilliant Meat!" +1 (composer)
"Amen Meat." (Former Believer)
"Like Meat said." (Francis)
"Not brilliant, Meat!" — Villanelle
"Damned right Meat." -Kusa

kevin

my wife stores stuff in her old cheeseboxes in the closet
dare to know.

GratefulApe

Quote from: Kiahanie on March 31, 2022, 01:26:51 AM
Government cheese, spam, I remember the powdered milk. Ecccch. But it covered the flavor of the water.

We didn't get Spam and I've only had that once in my life. Not good. We got 5lb blocks of bologna. I haven't had bologna but one time since I was 18 years old.

GratefulApe

Quote from: Meat on March 31, 2022, 12:37:11 PM
Other than jokes I know nothing about that cheese. We weren't wealthy but as far as I know, never got assistance of any kind. I remember when my first kid was born we got milk vouchers or something from the hospital I think. We didn't really need them but if I recall correctly we got 2 or 3 gallons before saying nah. I suppose collecting unemployment checks is assistance but I haven't done that since the early 90's. In those days there truly weren't many jobs available but, I didn't do an honest search either. Boo.

I kind of remember some of that. I think it was called the WIC program Woman and Children something. When my first was born all of my friends and their friends had children without being married. I remember going to the grocery with them. They bought food on the WIC program that I could never afford. They also got all of their children's Doctoring paid for by the state at a Pediatricians office. I got my children's Vaccines at the health department because it was free and my insurance didn't pay for them. It was a weird time but I was glad that the children were taken care of. 

Kiahanie

Quote from: GratefulApe on April 01, 2022, 10:12:48 AM
Quote from: Kiahanie on March 31, 2022, 01:26:51 AM

We didn't get Spam and I've only had that once in my life. Not good. We got 5lb blocks of bologna. I haven't had bologna but one time since I was 18 years old.

Wasn't called Spam. I forget what. Tinned ham?  But it came in big tins as a gelatinous mass of meat pieces. I don't recall the tinned beef.