News:

IGI has a myspace page.  Please add us if you're a myspace fiend!

Main Menu

“Banned books are the best books”

Started by Shnozzola, January 28, 2022, 12:25:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shnozzola

Tennesee bans "Maus"

QuoteMaus is a graphic novel by American cartoonist Art Spiegelman. Serialized from 1980 to 1991, it depicts Spiegelman interviewing his father about his experiences as a Polish Jew and Holocaust survivor.

Ironically, the myriad  of "god" beliefs of humanity are proving to be more dangerous than us learning that we are on our own, making the way we treat each other far more important

Dexter

I will read Elmer Gantry and The Naked Lunch one day
"Here is no water but only rock
Rock and no water and the sandy road"
― T.S. Eliot, The Waste Land

Kiahanie

In high school I gave an oral book report on Elmer Gantry for junior english. Small school 400 students, small town about 7,500.
"If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet ... maybe we could understand something." --Federico Fellini....."Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation" -Jellaludin Rumi,

Dexter

What did you think? Was it worthy of a ban?
"Here is no water but only rock
Rock and no water and the sandy road"
― T.S. Eliot, The Waste Land

Kiahanie

Can't really say. My standards for bannable books are probably different from the PTA censors.

The class enjoyed the report, though. It was mostly about exposing religious hypocrisy. I do not recall language or sex issues.
"If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet ... maybe we could understand something." --Federico Fellini....."Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation" -Jellaludin Rumi,

Shnozzola

Ironically, the myriad  of "god" beliefs of humanity are proving to be more dangerous than us learning that we are on our own, making the way we treat each other far more important

Kiahanie

^^^^^^ !