News:

Are you in the IGI Yearbook?

Main Menu

[Commentary] Does God exist?

Started by Dexter, June 12, 2021, 11:03:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inertialmass

Quote from: maritime on June 14, 2021, 08:29:54 AM
...Believing "No God" may be a hallucinatory reality, an incorrect sensory perception.   

Yeah, yeah, yeah, Francis.  It takes an atheist more faith to disbelieve in god.  And atheists comprise a killer tribe with their own secret handshake.  And atheists ain't got no proof that god don't exist.  And atheists get boils on their butts just like the rest of us.  Got no absolute moral compass.  And yada yada yada.

God and religion are not conveyances of Truth or Comfort.  They function as instruments of earthly social control.

8livesleft

Quote from: Inertialmass on June 14, 2021, 08:26:10 AM
Real image of real Cletrac AG6H tractor with J.F. Brittain service winch

Real image of someone's imagined or supposed god

Lol

I'm wondering what's the better strategy - Christians have always had this Jesus image plastered all over while Muslims aren't even allowed to show an image of Mohammad.

So now of course if anyone "sees" Jesus, they'll pretty much describe the typical Jesus image - Caucasian, long brown hair, beard, big blue puppy dog eyes, some robe, holes in hands and feet. Typical Hollywood stuff instead of the real brown skinned, short, Arab which is most likely.

Dexter

Quote from: Inertialmass on June 14, 2021, 07:39:38 AM

Oh heck yeah concepts do exist.

Conceptually.

Quoteconceptual
[k?n?sep(t)SH(o?o)?l]
ADJECTIVE
relating to or based on mental concepts.

This is not about concepts. I was pointing out there are things that exist that aren't physical realities. If you are so concerned about how many babies I am killing by my posting in this thread, you should start a thread asking if God is a real physical, solid, visible identity.
"Here is no water but only rock
Rock and no water and the sandy road"
― T.S. Eliot, The Waste Land

Inertialmass

Note incidentally each of the many and various definitions of "exist" universally include a parameter specifying that the objects of this verb must "have reality" or must "be real."

Quotereal
[?r?(?)l]
ADJECTIVE
actually existing as a thing or occurring in fact; not imagined or supposed.

God and religion are not conveyances of Truth or Comfort.  They function as instruments of earthly social control.

Inertialmass

Quote from: 8livesleft on June 14, 2021, 09:03:49 AM
I'm wondering what's the better strategy - Christians have always had this Jesus image plastered all over...   

Well, my own basic hypothesis is that organized, hierarchical religion came in about the same time as farming and animal domestication.  Religion is thus the elite's way of keeping we domesticated Hoi Polloi happily, timidly performing our stately services smoothly and with continuity thru 60 - 80 yrs individually and collectively thru the generations.  In this view, as time goes by and the fold citizenry grow more learned in the means of control exercised o'er them by their suzerain, slightly more sophisticated and abstract mechanisms of shepherding governance are called upon.  Thus too the dominating iconography employed by the leadership grows in abstract sophistication.

AgnosticDamien

And this is supposed to be our new forum owner? The *E1a - Moderator 09* Dexter who thinks everyone's beliefs are true? Good luck IGI, you will need it.

8livesleft

Quote from: Inertialmass on June 14, 2021, 07:21:42 PM
Quote from: 8livesleft on June 14, 2021, 09:03:49 AM
I'm wondering what's the better strategy - Christians have always had this Jesus image plastered all over...   

Well, my own basic hypothesis is that organized, hierarchical religion came in about the same time as farming and animal domestication.  Religion is thus the elite's way of keeping we domesticated Hoi Polloi happily, timidly performing our stately services smoothly and with continuity thru 60 - 80 yrs individually and collectively thru the generations.  In this view, as time goes by and the fold citizenry grow more learned in the means of control exercised o'er them by their suzerain, slightly more sophisticated and abstract mechanisms of shepherding governance are called upon.  Thus too the dominating iconography employed by the leadership grows in abstract sophistication.

Yeah I suppose you can tell the maturity of the religion by it's god descriptions. Starts with animal gods, nature gods, then specialized super human gods, "all-father" type gods - where the whole bearded aesthetic became popularized by the greco-roman philosophers - from whom they're fashioned. Then, you have the very abstract "all gods" like Brahman that can basically be described as a kind of everlasting everything haha

So, with christianity you have 2 phases: from a specialized healer demi-god to a trinity god - rising in stature and sophistication but not yet "all father" and definitely not "all god" tier.

Islam's god, interestingly, is already closer to the abstract. It is relatively more modern, coming centuries after christianity.

kevin

hi rain.

hit and run?

you havent been back since the day you posted this.
dare to know.