News:

Are you in the IGI Yearbook?

Main Menu

Luke 24:30 - And it came to pass...

Started by Assyriankey, August 28, 2008, 01:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Assyriankey

From Luke:

24:26  Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory?
24:27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.
24:28 And they drew nigh unto the village, whither they went: and he made as though he would have gone further.   
24:29 But they constrained him, saying, Abide with us: for it is toward evening, and the day is far spent. And he went in to tarry with them.   
24:30 And it came to pass, as he sat at meat with them, he took bread, and blessed it, and brake, and gave to them.   
24:31 And their eyes were opened, and they knew him; and he vanished out of their sight.   
24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?   
24:33 And they rose up the same hour, and returned to Jerusalem, and found the eleven gathered together, and them that were with them,

Did Jesus have a meal with those two men after his resurrection?
Ignoring composer and wilson is key to understanding the ontological unity of the material world.

dutchy

Quote from: Assyriankey on August 28, 2008, 01:29:41 PM
From Luke:

24:26  Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory?
24:27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.
24:28 And they drew nigh unto the village, whither they went: and he made as though he would have gone further.   
24:29 But they constrained him, saying, Abide with us: for it is toward evening, and the day is far spent. And he went in to tarry with them.   
24:30 And it came to pass, as he sat at meat with them, he took bread, and blessed it, and brake, and gave to them.   
24:31 And their eyes were opened, and they knew him; and he vanished out of their sight.   
24:32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?   
24:33 And they rose up the same hour, and returned to Jerusalem, and found the eleven gathered together, and them that were with them,

yennnnnnoo I give up, this is over my head.
Assy can you tell me what kind of hidden secret you know and I don't?
Or are you testing our reading skills ? :)

Assyriankey

Quote from: dutchy on August 28, 2008, 09:36:11 PM
Quote from: Assyriankey on August 28, 2008, 01:29:41 PM
From Luke:

yennnnnnoo I give up, this is over my head.
Assy can you tell me what kind of hidden secret you know and I don't?
Or are you testing our reading skills ? :)

hehehehehe...

It's a trap.  I would tell you but then I would have to kill you :)

I think Jesus ate with them because of the expression "sat at meat with them."
Ignoring composer and wilson is key to understanding the ontological unity of the material world.

cmarie

I agree, that sounds like he ate with them to me too.
The highest point a man can attain is not knowledge, or virtue, or goodness, or victory, but something even greater, more heroic and more despairing:
Sacred Awe!
—Nikos Kazantzakis

seka

I agree that it sounds like he ate with them, and if I recall correctly it had to do with the belief at the time that the resurrection/second life was not going to be a soul/spirit type deal, but a physical resurrection. Getting a new body with which you can still walk and talk and eat (and piss and... )

Why do you ask, Assy?

cmarie

Quote from: seka on August 30, 2008, 01:10:20 PM
I agree that it sounds like he ate with them, and if I recall correctly it had to do with the belief at the time that the resurrection/second life was not going to be a soul/spirit type deal, but a physical resurrection. Getting a new body with which you can still walk and talk and eat (and piss and... )

Why do you ask, Assy?

I wonder about that physical resurrection, I wonder how old my resurrected body will be?
The highest point a man can attain is not knowledge, or virtue, or goodness, or victory, but something even greater, more heroic and more despairing:
Sacred Awe!
—Nikos Kazantzakis

Assyriankey

Quote from: seka on August 30, 2008, 01:10:20 PM

Why do you ask, Assy?

I started this thread because I thought I read somewhere in the bible that Jesus would not eat again until his kingdom had been established on this Earth but now I can't find any reference to him saying such a thing.  Jesus only seems to have said something like that in conjunction with him drinking wine???

* Assyriankey shuffles off red-faced...

QuestionMark

Quote from: Assyriankey on August 31, 2008, 03:21:29 AM
I started this thread because I thought I read somewhere in the bible that Jesus would not eat again until his kingdom had been established on this Earth but now I can't find any reference to him saying such a thing.  Jesus only seems to have said something like that in conjunction with him drinking wine???
"But I say to you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father's kingdom."

Wine is connected to wedding feasts. The wedding feast Jesus refers to is that of the Son and His church.
καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει

unkleE

* Headmaster unkleE  decides to lecture his most recalcitrant pupil.

1. Is the main purpose of this Bible study section to try to find verses to embarrass christians????? : )

2. The coming of God's kingdom seems to have occurred in stages. First Jesus said the kingdom was at hand (Mark 1:14) because of him being there and teaching. Then it seems to have come more fully when he died and rose again, then more fully when the Holy Spirit came, then more fully still at the end. So it's not really a topic amenable to that sort of attempted inconsistency.

* unkleE  mumbles into his beard, quoting the old Professor in CS Lewis's "Magician's Nephew": "What do they teach them in their schools?"
Is there a God? To believe or not believe, that is the question!

Assyriankey

Quote from: unkleE on September 02, 2008, 12:14:44 AM

* Headmaster unkleE  decides to lecture his most recalcitrant pupil.

It won't work <- that's what recalcitrant means  ||smiley||

1. Is the main purpose of this Bible study section to try to find verses to embarrass christians????? : )

It's a work in progress and an embarrassed Christian should be a happy one for the meek shall inherit the Earth  ||wink||

2. The coming of God's kingdom seems to have occurred in stages. First Jesus said the kingdom was at hand (Mark 1:14) because of him being there and teaching. Then it seems to have come more fully when he died and rose again, then more fully when the Holy Spirit came, then more fully still at the end. So it's not really a topic amenable to that sort of attempted inconsistency.

Yet for all this fullness the cupboard seems awfully bare.  You are the first Christian I have encountered that has described the progressive unveiling (or enactment) of God's kingdom in this way and I'll need to think on this some more before commenting further.

* unkleE  mumbles into his beard, quoting the old Professor in CS Lewis's "Magician's Nephew": "What do they teach them in their schools?"

School and me didn't see eye to eye.  I learnt a lot about physics, chemistry, art, history, maths and sport during my high school years - pretty much everything my girlfriends were prepared to teach me, but respecting teachers wasn't one of their lessons.

unkleE

These bloody Australians, no idea of giving respect to their elders! (unkleE continues mumbling inanities into his beard.)

Disagree with some of your ideas but loved your comments!

QuoteYet for all this fullness the cupboard seems awfully bare.

Gee, I don't think so. I think things are pretty good considering that we have been given a major part in things.

You are the first Christian I have encountered that has described the progressive unveiling (or enactment) of God's kingdom in this way

Yes, I think a lot if christians miss, or misunderstand, the kingdom of God, even though it was the most common topic of Jesus's teaching. But among those who have a more historical understanding, I think "now, but not yet" is a common understanding.

Quotemy girlfriends

Showoff! And how many were they? Hundreds, I guess, and you had to beat them off with a stick!? It's tough, isn't it?  : )

Best wishes
Is there a God? To believe or not believe, that is the question!