News:

IGI has a myspace page.  Please add us if you're a myspace fiend!

Main Menu

Questions Atheists Outright Evade, Sidestep or Refuse to Answer

Started by eyeshaveit, September 18, 2018, 04:48:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyeshaveit

Q - The Question:

Quote from: kevin on September 16, 2018, 09:40:58 PM
[Tallred] certainly believes in some sort of universe, and the one [she] believes in certainly doesn't include gods.

Quote from: eyeshaveit on September 17, 2018, 07:43:39 PM
Do you agree with Kevin? If not, why not?

A - The TallRed Toll-Road-Two-Step:

Quote from: TallRed on September 17, 2018, 11:17:28 PM
Not really. Here?s why: ?to believe in? something implies holding to a belief where there is either no evidence or contrary evidence. So I don?t need to ?believe in? the universe, with or without gods. I can see the evidence for the universe with my own eyes and in fact can detect the existence of the universe with all my senses.

Jesus Christ died so you could have access to God.

TallRed

That?s not a refusal to answer. The premise is flawed. In its way, it?s a loaded question the same way the classic question ?When did you stop beating your wife?? is.

Inertialmass

When I was in high school the Universe that I was taught about and that I believed in did not include deep sea hydrothermal vents with a food chain running from chemosynthetic microorganisms on up to large, creepy tubeworms.  My universe did not include mitochondria living as endosymbionts each with its own DNA, thus informing that life may be seen metaphysically as one big gigantamundo cooperative survival enterprise even more than it was seen classically as some big ol' competitive game.  My Universe back then did not include politicians, preachers, rabbis and catholic priests as sexual predators.

Tubeworms, cooperative endosymbionts, sexual predators in position of authority inhabited the null set back then.  They did not enter the intellectual landscape.  They just were not a part of my belief set or worldview.  I gave them no thought whatsoever.   

Today those are part of my belief set and my worldview.  That's only because good evidence for them appeared over the intervening years.  Not so for god.

God and religion are not conveyances of Truth or Comfort.  They function as instruments of earthly social control.

eyeshaveit

Quote from: Inertialmass on September 18, 2018, 04:48:34 PM
When I was in high school the Universe that I was taught about and that I believed in did not include deep sea hydrothermal vents with a food chain running from chemosynthetic microorganisms on up to large, creepy tubeworms.  My universe did not include mitochondria living as endosymbionts each with its own DNA, thus informing that life may be seen metaphysically as one big gigantamundo cooperative survival enterprise even more than it was seen classically as some big ol' competitive game.  My Universe back then did not include politicians, preachers, rabbis and catholic priests as sexual predators.

Tubeworms, cooperative endosymbionts, sexual predators in position of authority inhabited the null set back then.  They did not enter the intellectual landscape.  They just were not a part of my belief set or worldview.  I gave them no thought whatsoever.   

Today those are part of my belief set and my worldview.  That's only because good evidence for them appeared over the intervening years.  Not so for god.

Forget about what you can't see. Mycologists suspect that there are about 4,000,000 different fungal species, yet less than 150,000 have been identified.

But you live in the boonies and right or wrong you must have some idea (your beliefs) about the physical world you inhabit and its origin and how it all came about.
Jesus Christ died so you could have access to God.

Mr. Blackwell

Unrestricted free speech, paradoxically, results in less speech, not more. - Yoel Roth

Teaspoon Shallow

"If I could stop a person from raping a child, I would.    That's the difference between me and your God." Tracie Harris

Brandon

I respect god But sometimes still have to rely on myself
fifa55 baht Speaking about the predictions of the FIFA representative from the experts who have been selected to be truly professional. If anyone has never played online, he will not know that h