News:

New members, please say hello to the forum in the Introductions board!

Main Menu

the tbread for questions people quietly don't answer . . .

Started by kevin, February 16, 2018, 06:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin

sometimes i'm having a conversation, and i ask a question. then there is a sudden silence, and the question is quietly ignored. old maggie was a master of black-holing questions like this, and lately i've encounteted it again.

so here is a tbread where these quietly ignored queztions can be flagged and remembeted . perhaps conversation may pick them back up, perhaps not.

this tbread is for anybody, by tbe way.
may you bathe i the blood of a thousand sheep

kevin

hrte's the first

Quote from: kevin on February 16, 2018, 02:07:47 PM
Quote from: kevin on February 15, 2018, 07:18:43 PM
Quote from: eyeshaveit on February 15, 2018, 06:25:16 PM
High quality of design implies a designer, no ?

no more than an efficient river bed requires a designer.

Quote from: eyeshaveit on February 15, 2018, 06:25:16 PM
If not God as the designer, then who or what, or is it just anti-god speak ?

no designer necessary for the system to function exactly as it does.

i have no issues with god, but evolution works well without god in the model.

you are not required to answer, eyes, but i may bump this post again from time to time.

Dexter

I begin today by acknowledging the Ngarluma people, Traditional Custodians of the land on which I work and live, and pay my respects to their Elders past and present. I extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.

kevin

here's another.

Quote from: kevin on February 16, 2018, 08:40:25 PM
hi tallred

Quote from: kevin on February 16, 2018, 05:34:20 PM

education is all well and good. its the one thing that scientists and theologians hold in common. in your work in population biology, did you observe evolution as it occurred, or did you just read about it?

bump.

Inertialmass

http://isgodimaginary.com/forum/index.php/topic,53170.msg636615.html#msg636615
intelligence is race based, says article
Quote from: Inertialmass on March 06, 2013, 06:50:57 PM
Quote from: kevin on March 06, 2013, 02:43:42 AM
moron

Is this scientific analysis based upon the Stanford-Binet Scale, the Wechsler Scale, or Goddard?

Or is this a looser subjective interpolation, as with the earlier cited case of race/IQ "researchers" assigning IQ numbers somehow derived from verbal achievement tests administered in English to non-English-speaking Africans?

God and religion are not conveyances of Truth or Comfort.  They function as instruments of earthly social control.

kevin

Quote from: kevin on September 08, 2018, 10:45:07 PM
Quote from: TallRed on September 08, 2018, 10:04:17 PM
For someone who I?ve read self-identifies as an agnostic, he certainly writes like a true believer.

People need not have a god to be moral. Even if there were a god, morality decreed by that god wouldn?t be objective.

tallred, anybody can make up any behavioral code they want, and call it "morality." you don't need a god to make up something.

however, perhaps i consider your atheist morality to be nonsense because it conflicts with my own atheist morality.

what should we do with this disagreement?

Mr. Blackwell

Quote from: kevin on September 10, 2018, 02:02:52 AM
Quote from: kevin on September 08, 2018, 10:45:07 PM
Quote from: TallRed on September 08, 2018, 10:04:17 PM
For someone who I?ve read self-identifies as an agnostic, he certainly writes like a true believer.

People need not have a god to be moral. Even if there were a god, morality decreed by that god wouldn?t be objective.

tallred, anybody can make up any behavioral code they want, and call it "morality." you don't need a god to make up something.

however, perhaps i consider your atheist morality to be nonsense because it conflicts with my own atheist morality.

what should we do with this disagreement?

You should agree to disagree because when it comes right down to it, she doesn't believe that you are a True AtheistTM because you question her world view.
Unrestricted free speech, paradoxically, results in less speech, not more. - Yoel Roth

kevin

lol

we all like to model the world on our ourselves, mr b

Inertialmass

Another question quietly not answered:

http://isgodimaginary.com/forum/index.php/topic,61098.msg788727.html#msg788727
Quote from: Inertialmass on September 10, 2015, 03:03:55 PM
...And here's kevin's persistent defense of "intelligence is race based, says article," http://isgodimaginary.com/forum/index.php/topic,53170.msg636223.html#msg636223 :

Quote from: kevin on March 01, 2013, 12:33:38 AM
http://www.vdare.com/articles/indians-arent-that-intelligent-on-average

QuoteEast Asians (Chinese, Japanese and Koreans) obtain the highest mean IQ at 105. Europeans follow with an IQ of 100. Some ways below these are the Inuit or Eskimos (IQ 91), South East Asians (IQ 87), Native American Indians (IQ 87), Pacific Islanders (IQ 85), and South Asians and North Africans (IQ 84). Well below these are the sub-Saharan Africans (IQ 67), the Australian Aborigines (IQ 62), the Bushmen of the Kalahari Desert, and the Pygmies of the Congo rain forests (IQ 54).

Even a few years ago, news of drastically lower mean IQs for any population group?as low as 70 to 85 in Africa?would have been considered not only an absurdity, but also an injustice. Yet new empirical work continues to show a world IQ average of 90. It continues to show that mean IQs of 70 are found routinely in sub-Saharan Africa and that mean IQs of 70 to 90 are typical of many other regions of the world. Outside of European and East Asian populations, an average IQ as high as 100 is seldom found.

Quote from: kevin on March 01, 2013, 12:55:01 AM
anything can be quantified, if it can be defined.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligence_quotient

the numbers in the comparison were derived by defining intelligence in a certain way, and then quantifying that which was defined.

Quote from: Gill on March 01, 2013, 01:03:45 AM
Right; but what one believes entails 'intelligence' is inherently subjective since 'intelligence' is a quality of the mind which the mind itself is subjective; not?

Quote from: kevin on March 01, 2013, 01:16:03 AM
not, i think

intelligence has specific definitions that apply in particular scenarios. each definition provides the means to quantify itself.

I've asked Kevin several times -- if he really believes that there is even such a thing as "race," and if he really believes that intelligence can be scientifically parsed one race from the other through IQ measurements -- to which "race" does a person like Obama belong?  And what would Kevin's "scientifical" prediction be for the IQ issuing from this sort of race blending, if race be a legitimate way to categorize humanity and IQ testing be legitimate science?  Of course kevin won't answer me to which race Obama belongs, nor the expected IQ resulting from blending a "racially" white Kansan and a "racially" black Kenyan.   

God and religion are not conveyances of Truth or Comfort.  They function as instruments of earthly social control.

Inertialmass

And again a claim seeming to originate in antique christer (quaker?) religious propaganda is challenged. 

And again the claimant puts fingers to ears and sings,  "La, la, la, la, la...  I'm Not Listening To You!!!...  La, la, la, la, la..."

http://isgodimaginary.com/forum/index.php/topic,64154.msg862389.html#new
Quote from: Inertialmass on September 10, 2018, 03:21:55 AM
Quote from: kevin on September 09, 2018, 08:26:19 PM...the prehistoric polynesians would throw infants under the hulls of catamarans as they were dragged into the sea, in order to bring good fortune to the vessel. those infanticides were ethically and morally sound...

Prehistoric history???

How could we possibly have sound knowledge in such nitty-gritty detail of prehistoric behavior and morals???

QuotePrehistoric:  of or relating to the time or a period prior to recorded history

There is no recorded history of prehistory, by definition. 

http://www2.hawaii.edu/~johnb/micro/m130/readings/stannard.html
Quote...HONOLULU: So you're saying all the histories written about Hawaii are wrong?

STANNARD: The first histories were written by missionaries. And the missionaries simply lied. They made things up. Since their work was supposed to be converting savages, they needed to find in Hawaii savage people to convert. If you can write to your headquarters in Boston or London and say you have located horribly savage people and then within a few years they are all rallying round the cross, the success of your mission is unquestionable.

That accounts for some of the more outlandish notions about Hawaiian society that continue to resonate not only in works of the popular imagination, but works of scholarship. Such as the notion that prior to the coming of the West, infanticide was epidemic in Hawai'i--people routinely killed their babies. There is not one single shred of evidence for that, and there is copious evidence to contradict it. But it made its way into the missionary works and has never gotten out of even the most serious scholarship.

I'd like to use an image here-it's pretty rough, but I think it tells the tale. The horror of Westem contact was not just the great dying, but what happened afterward. It's as if a beautiful young virgin was raped by a syphilitic old lecher who isn't content to destroy her, but afterward begins to make up stories suggesting that she asked for it, that she wasn't a virgin at all, she was a whore. That's the history that was written on top of the horrible bacteriological assault that took place. The injury was the bacteriological attack, but the insult is the history that's been written afterward that trivialized the Hawaiian past and invented a savagery for them that did not exist.

HONOLULU: You say at the conclusion of Before the Horror that this subject has powerful social and political ramifications. Like what?

STANNARD: History can have an insidious effect on people. If a people don't have access or education or training to pursue their history themselves--if they believe, because after all, all the experts tell them this, that their ancestors were baby killers, delighted in human sacrifice, were poor, filthy, and malnourished, then they are going to feel ashamed of their past. Hawaiian history is a classic example of that...   

Mr. Blackwell

@Inertialmass

Is it your contention that the noble Polynesians rarely or never engaged in the practice of abortion or infanticide until the white colonialists forced it upon them so much that now, as an official state of the United States of America they will fight for their right to abort their unborn now that they have the ability to detect deformities before the due date so they no longer have to wait and see what comes out?

I think you would be better served if you defended their selective birth practices instead of pretending that it never happened just because some christers wrote about the practice as an example of how the Polynesians were savages.

Unrestricted free speech, paradoxically, results in less speech, not more. - Yoel Roth

kevin

Quote from: TallRed on November 16, 2018, 12:41:37 PM
Quote from: eyeshaveit on November 16, 2018, 12:32:35 PM
Quote from: TallRed on November 16, 2018, 12:20:57 PM
Quote from: eyeshaveit on November 16, 2018, 11:22:41 AM

The President of the United States is not a prisoner in the White House:
He says who comes and who goes. That's the law. If you don't like the law seek to change it, but don't mumble BS about the constitution.
?That?s the law?? Which law? Cite chapter and verse.

Be glad to "cite chapter and verse" after you answer the following (in bold):

Quote from: Kusa on November 15, 2018, 09:51:12 PM
Quote from: TallRed on November 15, 2018, 12:19:43 AM
Quote from: Kusa on November 14, 2018, 10:10:52 PM
Trump should stop having press briefings. f**k em.
Now you?re talking! Good to know you?re anti-First Amendment and thus anti-American. Dictators and dictatorships thrive in secrecy.

Explain to me how this is anti-First Amendment.
I suspected you had nothing and you just confirmed it with your squirming evasion. As for your petulant demand, I did answer it. Are you smart enough to see it or will you stamp your little feet in frustration?

Mr. Blackwell

Quote from: Mr. Blackwell on September 11, 2018, 07:14:45 PM
@Inertialmass

Is it your contention that the noble Polynesians rarely or never engaged in the practice of abortion or infanticide until the white colonialists forced it upon them so much that now, as an official state of the United States of America they will fight for their right to abort their unborn now that they have the ability to detect deformities before the due date so they no longer have to wait and see what comes out?

@Inertialmass

Well?    ||popcorn||

kevin

Quote from: kevin on November 29, 2018, 12:51:19 AM
Quote from: kevin on November 28, 2018, 12:08:41 AM
Quote from: kevin on November 27, 2018, 01:27:11 AM
Quote from: TallRed on November 27, 2018, 01:08:13 AM
Quote from: kevin on November 26, 2018, 10:45:07 PM
p1 everything that exists in the universe is subject to empirical investigation.
p2 god is not subject to empirical investigation

c god does not exist in the universe.
That wasn?t my argument.

i disagree.

but since you do not believe my syllogism to be accurate, could you please provide the correct one?

Inertialmass

^^^^  Why in the world would you expect anyone favoring science-based inductive empiricism to turn around and traffick in your funky old socratic syllogisms??? 

Mr. Blackwell

Quote from: Mr. Blackwell on November 17, 2018, 03:57:15 PM
Quote from: Mr. Blackwell on September 11, 2018, 07:14:45 PM
@Inertialmass

@Inertialmass

Well?    ||popcorn||
@Inertialmass

Inertialmass

QuoteOffline Mr. Blackwell
View Profile
Re: the tbread for questions people quietly don't answer . . .
? Reply #16 on: Today at 09:09:33 PM ?
You are ignoring this user.

Yeah I got your notification.  I won't be opening another time suck, down-into-the-empty-rabbit hole post.  And it's probably a suffering post.  And I don't speak Tennessee.