News:

IGI has a Facebook group!

Main Menu

why are you here?

Started by kevin, March 18, 2017, 10:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyeshaveit

Quote from: bobingersoll on April 16, 2017, 05:52:32 PM
OK, so when is the last time YOU went up to a complete stranger, face to face, and warned them of hell?  When was the last time YOU knocked on the door of a stranger and "witnessed" to them?

Knock on doors, no - but my habit is talk to strangers, acquaintances and friends about the Lord, the Gospel and my faith.

Quote from: bobingersoll on April 16, 2017, 05:52:32 PM
What I am finding is that Christians like to talk to other Christians about winning souls for Jesus, sharing techniques and tactics, but they seldom (if ever) actually put them into practice. 

Same with apologetics - there are many on-line blogs that offer Christian apologetic materials and resources, but just try to get anyone associated with the blog to put their techniques to use and you get a big dose of silence.  I have tried.

People are busy; people have different callings; there are dozens of reasons, but conversation is always available 'somewhere; somehow'.

Just finished a thirty lesson online course about the resurrection by Dr.Gary Habermas, but there would be no recriminations if Dr. Habermas was too busy to engage in an email discussion with me. 

BTW - This is the Testimonials Board = "Describe your beliefs here. No disagreements please - implied or otherwise."

Perhaps you should start a new thread to fully develop this subject, but not on this board.
Jesus Christ died so you could have access to God.

Mooby the Golden Sock

Quote from: bobingersoll on April 16, 2017, 03:25:07 PMAnyway, I guess I am here to see what sort of dialogue there is.  Based on the few interactions I have had so far, I am not optimistic.
You could always challenge someone to a formal debate on the Debate board.
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.--BÖC

GratefulApe

This question has been bugging for a while. Why am I here. I like to compare and contrast different doctrines among different denominations. So I mostly only read the Christian posts. I personally study systematic theology from a Jewish perspective. 

ak.yonathan

I'm here because I'm in search of knowledge. Knowledge is power, I always say!!!

Sent from my SM-T331 using Tapatalk

Dexter

I'm here because my brother introduced me to this web site. I used to be a militant atheist. This forum and real life experiences have made me realize how destructive I was. I enjoy the company here and enjoy the opportunity to add comment for discussion on topics that range from Scientology to Prog rock and classical music. I love this place.
I begin today by acknowledging the Ngarluma people, Traditional Custodians of the land on which I work and live, and pay my respects to their Elders past and present. I extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.

GratefulApe

It gets harder and harder for me to stick around here. Not enough fun and seems I'm about the only female on here.

bad actor

Quote from: GratefulApe on November 13, 2017, 07:41:49 PM
It gets harder and harder for me to stick around here. Not enough fun and seems I'm about the only female on here.

The fun comes and goes. Nothing wrong with keeping IGI on the bookmarks bar and checking in every once in a while. ||smiley||
Maybe the day had a s**tty you.

Meat

It?s a time killer until the Rapture.
"Brilliant Meat!" +1 (composer)
"Amen Meat." (Former Believer)
"Like Meat said." (Francis)
"Not brilliant, Meat!" — Villanelle
"Damned right Meat." -Kusa
 "You call this comment censorship Meatless?" (Boobs)

Kusa

I?m here looking for Jesus. I haven?t been able to locate him so far though.

Kusa

What would you like to see here that isn?t happening now? I try to keep it lively here.

Meat

She should change her name to Grape Ape.

GratefulApe

Kusa

Meat

GratefulApe

Yeah I finally googled Grape Ape. I'll keep my GratefulApe.  ||tip hat||

Kusa

Quote from: GratefulApe on November 15, 2017, 05:17:48 PM
You should put that pretty picture of yourself back up as your avatar.

LoriPinkAngel

I keep this forum bookmarked and pop over from time to time.  It seems to be the most active of the forums that I follow.  There always seems to be a variety of different threads open.
Ah, but I was so much older then; I'm younger than that now...  -Bob Dylan

maritime

I?m here searching for intelligent life ||cool||

Which reminds me of a statement (in bold, in quote below from The Atlantic article by Ross Anderson) quoted by Robin Nagle Young earlier this week in a conversation with Anderson on Here and Now/NPR:

QuoteApart from microwaves, such as those that make up the faint afterglow of the Big Bang, radio waves are the weakest form of electromagnetic radiation. The collective energy of all the radio waves caught by Earth?s observatories in a year is less than the kinetic energy released when a single snowflake comes softly to rest on bare soil. Collecting these ethereal signals requires technological silence. That?s why China plans to one day put a radio observatory on the dark side of the moon, a place more technologically silent than anywhere on Earth. It?s why, over the course of the past century, radio observatories have sprouted, like cool white mushrooms, in the blank spots between this planet?s glittering cities. And it?s why Nan went looking for a dish site in the remote Karst mountains. Tall, jagged, and covered in subtropical vegetation, these limestone mountains rise up abruptly from the planet?s crust, forming barriers that can protect an observatory?s sensitive ear from wind and radio noise.
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/12/what-happens-if-china-makes-first-contact/544131/

Robin Nagle wrote ?Picking Up?.

GratefulApe

Quote from: Dexter on November 13, 2017, 03:22:42 PM
I'm here because my brother introduced me to this web site. I used to be a militant atheist. This forum and real life experiences have made me realize how destructive I was. I enjoy the company here and enjoy the opportunity to add comment for discussion on topics that range from Scientology to Prog rock and classical music. I love this place.

Well I find your demeanor here kind and thoughtful absent of crass. I'm a Christian and haven't fully honed those attributes. I too enjoy the music and an occasional 2 cents worth of comment when I feel inclined. 

GratefulApe

Quote from: Kusa on November 15, 2017, 06:54:54 PM
Quote from: GratefulApe on November 15, 2017, 05:17:48 PM
You should put that pretty picture of yourself back up as your avatar.

You mean this one, right? I used it here briefly.

GratefulApe

Quote from: bad actor on November 13, 2017, 07:51:36 PM

The fun comes and goes. Nothing wrong with keeping IGI on the bookmarks bar and checking in every once in a while. ||smiley||

This will be the case soon enough as I'm starting to annoy even myself around here,lol. I have a goal that after Thanksgiving and before Christmas I'll be getting a job for the first time in many years. My children are raised. I've done all of the housework I care to do. The gardens are smaller, the house is newer...etc.

Mr. Blackwell

I'm here because I thought this was the island of misfit toys so, this is where I belong...right?
Unrestricted free speech, paradoxically, results in less speech, not more. - Yoel Roth

GratefulApe

Quote from: Mr. Blackwell on November 20, 2017, 06:22:55 PM
I'm here because I thought this was the island of misfit toys so, this is where I belong...right?

We're all flawed. Everyone belongs on the island.

Shnozzola

No child wants to play with a Charlie in the box.      ||smileysad||

Ironically, the myriad  of "god" beliefs of humanity are proving to be more dangerous than us learning that we are on our own, making the way we treat each other far more important

GratefulApe

Quote from: GratefulApe on November 20, 2017, 06:16:45 PM

This will be the case soon enough as I'm starting to annoy even myself around here,lol. I have a goal that after Thanksgiving and before Christmas I'll be getting a job for the first time in many years. My children are raised. I've done all of the housework I care to do. The gardens are smaller, the house is newer...etc.

Quoting this just for an update. I did get a job. Later than I expected but perfect timing. I didn't really want to start a job in the death of Winter. It's a job at a co-op farm and flower depot greenhouse. I'll be working in the flower greenhouse. I start by the second week of April. The greenhouse opens on May 1st. I'm so very excited to see what this experience brings to my life. The people, the job, the experience, everything is a win. I know from past work experience from way back that sometimes people get on power trips and there are little infights about stupid stuff but I'm at an age now where I can look past all that stuff. I know my truth. I'm a good person, not perfect but whatever comes my way I will make the best of it.  ||beerchug||

GratefulApe

Quote from: Kusa on November 14, 2017, 01:10:44 AM

What would you like to see here that isn?t happening now? I try to keep it lively here.

You do keep it lively even if I have to half cover my eyes while looking at your memes while snickering. You're an original.