News:

IGI has a myspace page.  Please add us if you're a myspace fiend!

Main Menu

Duplicate Karma Will Now Be Deleted

Started by Moderator 09, October 17, 2015, 11:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moderator 09

Due to feedback from members and staff discussions, we will be using an automated script that removes duplicate karma entries from posts.  So if you +1 a post and then later change your mind and give it a -1, the most recent change will stay and the rest will be removed.

This will affect all karma given after the forum started logging it for individual posts.  To reduce server load, there is a maximum number of posts that will be updated per day.

Let us know if you have any questions!

eyeshaveit

Has to be an improvement. Super Bowl tickets for the code writer.
Jesus Christ died so you could have access to God.

Airyaman

Laser focus on the karma issues. I'd give this a +1 but I might want to -1 it later and that would just be f**ked up.
Please take a moment to remember the victims of the terrorist attacks in Bowling Green, Atlanta, and Sweden.

Mooby the Golden Sock

Oh and just FYI, since this will actually be deleting entries from the log there will be no way to restore them.
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.--BÖC

kevin

great!

this is a badly-needed fix that will certainly solve . . . something . . . ?
may you bathe i the blood of a thousand sheep

Teaspoon Shallow

It will solve Karma Spamming?.

Great addition.  ||clap||
"If I could stop a person from raping a child, I would.    That's the difference between me and your God." Tracie Harris

kevin

what is "karma spamming?"

how will it solve it?

Teaspoon Shallow

Karma Spamming? is the repetitive giving of karma to a post.   ||popcorn||
"If I could stop a person from raping a child, I would.    That's the difference between me and your God." Tracie Harris

kevin

Quote from: Teaspoon Shallow on October 18, 2015, 05:26:49 AM
Karma Spamming? is the repetitive giving of karma to a post.   ||popcorn||

that's a good idea.

i've long thought that one should be able to express a karma opinion on any given post one time, and not be able to go back and karma it over and over

stuff like this is just people playing games with each other using someone else's account as a tool, and has nothing to do with the post in question

http://isgodimaginary.com/forum/index.php/topic,61149.msg789283.html#msg789283

kevin

interesting note on moderation philosophy though.

in the past infractions against policy on this forum were generally handled by the rules, then by the rules in combination with the etiquette guidelines.

karma has long been an exception, though, in which policy was decided and then the coding changed so as to make policy infractions impossible. one such change was the two-hour-waiting-period on awarding karma to the same member twice, and another is now the impossibility of awarding karma to the same post twice.

how about making a list of all insults and derogatory terms in the log that have been deemed violations and simply not allowing them to be posted? would be similar to the profanity filter. i made a start on that list under my mod2 account. most of the terms can be found under the list of infractions of one particular member.

that way you wouldn't have to try to remember whether "son of satan" had already been decided upon as an E1a. you could even add "son of satin" to cover ricky mooseton's posts.

think of the improvement in forum tone you could make by automating courtesy completely

Spoiler
i'm not serious, FGOH.
[close]

Gnu Ordure

Quote from: Moderator 09 on October 17, 2015, 11:33:54 PM
This will affect all karma given after the forum started logging it for individual posts.  To reduce server load, there is a maximum number of posts that will be updated per day.

Let us know if you have any questions!

So what will happen to my fund-raising post?

Quote from: Gnu Ordure on November 06, 2013, 02:56:54 AMLast Edit: December 16, 2013, 01:05:58 AM by Moderator 02  ?

+1000/-2 karm for this message

Dexter

Will need to be even more inventive next time.
I begin today by acknowledging the Ngarluma people, Traditional Custodians of the land on which I work and live, and pay my respects to their Elders past and present. I extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.

Mooby the Golden Sock

Quote from: Gnu Ordure on October 18, 2015, 03:13:54 PMSo what will happen to my fund-raising post?
Unfortunately it will not be safe. You might want to screen shot it within the next 12 hours.

Gnu Ordure

'Unfortunately', Moderator 9? As if this was merely unlucky? *E1a - Moderator 11* You're choosing to make this script retroactive, for no good reason; so there's no luck involved.

Just when I thought you Admins couldn't be more vindictive, or more petty...

Just when I thought you couldn't abuse your power any further in pursuit of your personal vendetta against one of your "Valued Members", you excel yourselves...

Well done, Moderator 9, you must be feeling very proud of yourself. *E1a - Moderator 11* I (and a few others) asked if we could opt out of karma, and instead answering that question, you and other Admins have worked out a way to knock 950+ points off my karma score.

*E1a - Moderator 11* More reactionary? Let me repeat your post in the Karma thread where you tell me (paraphrasing) that I won't get what I want unless I'm nice to you (my bold):
Quote from: Mooby the Golden Sock on September 26, 2015, 02:41:52 AM
Quote from: Gnu Ordure on September 25, 2015, 11:16:27 PMSo, the the Mods don't want to discuss possible changes any more
I can't speak for any of the other mods, but as for me personally:

No, I don't.  I have lost all personal interest in this thread and discussion, largely due to your posts in this and other threads.  I offered to let you spearhead the discussion in some other thread I've also lost interest in, again largely due to your posts.

If the rest of the staff starts a mod discussion on it, I'll dutifully weigh in, but I'm not going to be the one pushing it through and keeping others invested in the discussion.  I won't block discussion, but I also am not going to initiate it.  And no one else has started such a discussion so far.

I think I mentioned before that it probably wasn't the best idea to antagonize the same people you're trying to get personally invested in your concerns, but to each his own.  All I know is that I am currently not invested.  Maybe in a week or two I'll refresh myself and try to look at it from a fresh perspective, but as of right now I couldn't give two scripts about karma.

And let's not pretend that the two things aren't connected. Mod 9 said today on the Karma thread, in response to a question I asked eleven days ago :
Quote from: Mooby the Golden Sock on October 17, 2015, 11:16:34 PM
Quote from: Gnu Ordure on October 07, 2015, 10:11:49 PMSo what is happening now, Mooby? Did you sort out the icon problem? Have you or the other mods made a decision about how to proceed?
Not yet.

I did set up a script to remove duplicate karma.
And that's him gloating.

Fine, it's your forum, Moderator 9, so you can do what you want. *E1a - Moderator 11* I recently suggested that the Forum could be run more democratically, and I see this as your autocratic response. You want to retain control and authority, and if anyone challenges it, you slap them down.

I thought you were better than this, Admin Moo. *E1a - Moderator 11* except that you'd do the opposite of whatever I advised. Same for Admin HE.

Quote from: Mooby the Golden Sock on October 18, 2015, 12:20:50 AM
Oh and just FYI, since this will actually be deleting entries from the log there will be no way to restore them.
i.e  "we've made this decision, and we're going to make sure that there's no time for anyone to object to it and that it will be irreversible".

Way to go, Admins. Feel the power. Impose your will. You are masters of your domain.

Or just, pathetic...

Mooby the Golden Sock

Well, um... so that happened.

Contrary to what you may believe, I don't spend every waking hour of my life fretting about you.  The duplicate karma thing has been bandied about for a while (since at least a few karma threads back) and the rest of the staff have been asking me to get it set up since this discussion started.  I didn't even remember your karma whoring post until after I made the script.

Would you be this upset if the script just removed duplicate negative karma?  I didn't see you cursing me out over this lowering your smites as well.  Sometimes I think you'd just be happy if an admin set you to +10,000/-0 and locked your account so no one could ever change your precious score.  I don't know what your true motivations are, but to me every post that you have ever made concerning karma seems like an attempt for you to manufacture your score to your liking.

The opt out discussion has not ended; this is a separate thing.  You are not the only member on this forum.

kevin

Quote from: Mooby the Golden Sock on October 18, 2015, 06:53:23 PM
Sometimes I think you'd just be happy if an admin set you to +10,000/-0 and locked your account so no one could ever change your precious score. 

let's do that.

set my karma at minus one million and then lock the karma forever.

works for me.

||cheesy||

Case

"You have formed us for Yourself, and our hearts are restless until they find rest in You." Augustine, Confessions, Book 1, Chapter 1

Gnu Ordure

Quote from: Mooby the Golden Sock on October 18, 2015, 06:53:23 PM
Well, um... so that happened.

Contrary to what you may believe, I don't spend every waking hour of my life fretting about you.
Hyperbole aside, you spend some time fretting about me. Agreed?

QuoteThe duplicate karma thing has been bandied about for a while (since at least a few karma threads back) and the rest of the staff have been asking me to get it set up since this discussion started.  I didn't even remember your karma whoring post until after I made the script.
1. As I said before, if you disapproved of my fund-raising methods you should and could have said so then; instead of supporting me, as you did.

2. Why ignore the question you were explicitly asked ("may we opt out of karma?") ?  Why suddenly switch direction and work on the answer to a different question?

3. Anyway, we were talking about that post recently, so I don't understand why you're claiming ignorance of it. Jay brought it up and you made a comment about it on Oct 6th:
Quote from: Mooby the Golden Sock on October 06, 2015, 02:39:35 AM
Quote from: Gnu Ordure on October 06, 2015, 12:45:22 AM
Jay, that's a bit mean, given that you played that game with me. You donated $100 to sponsor 100 +karma points for me over and above the ones I had "bought". Other people sponsored another 400 +karma points for me. I didn't ask any of you to do that, you just did it, you all gave me 500 +points for nothing. 

And the whole game raised $1500 for GP's charity.

So please don't throw that back in my face as if I did a bad thing there.

If you disagreed with or disapproved of what I was doing, you should have said so then, instead of joining in and sponsoring me.
I think his point is that the degree to which you take karma seriously and the degree to whether you consider superfluous karma a "game/points for nothing" vs "trolling/abuse" depends very much on the context and how it affects your own personal score, to the degree that one might conclude that this is more a discussion about what applauds and smites do to your ego and/or your ability to manufacture the score you want than it is about karma itself.
So you just wrote this new script, and you were thinking about my fund-raising post, both in the last two weeks, right?

QuoteWould you be this upset if the script just removed duplicate negative karma?
I'm "upset" because you're targetting me. And you're abusing your power by doing so.

QuoteThe opt out discussion has not ended; this is a separate thing.
No, it isn't. The two things are connected. Please re-read my previous post which I have just edited -  with particular reference to the bolded word 'gloating'.

QuoteYou are not the only member on this forum.
Didn't say I was; but you're sure focusing on me, Admin Moo. And you're abusing your power in the process.

eyeshaveit

Mooby the Golden Sock

Quote from: Gnu Ordure on October 18, 2015, 07:43:47 PMHyperbole aside, you spend some time fretting about me. Agreed?
Not really, until this most recent discussion I haven't been thinking about you much at all. 

Quote1. As I said before, if you disapproved of my fund-raising methods you should and could have said so then; instead of supporting me, as you did.
I don't approve of that tactic in general, whether it's you or businesses doing it.  I don't make it a point to publicly oppose it and will occasionally participate, but I don't think it's as noble as simply donating.  I actually see it as a bit dishonorable when companies hold the promise of charitable donations over people's heads to generate sales; I see it as kind of neutral in your case.

Quote2. Why ignore the question you were explicitly asked ("may we opt out of karma?") ?  Why suddenly switch direction and work on the answer to a different question?
To be fair, the "different question" was asked first a while ago.  This was not a switch of direction, it was a second thing brought up during the course of the first discussion.

Quote3. Anyway, we were talking about that post recently, so I don't understand why you're claiming ignorance of it.
I'm not?  I said I wasn't thinking about the post, not that I didn't know the post existed.

QuoteSo you just wrote this new script, and you were thinking about my fund-raising post, both in the last two weeks, right?
Yes, these are both things that happened within the past two weeks.  They did not happen concurrently, though.  The possibility of writing a script did not cause me to comment on your post, and the post did not cause me to write the script.

As I said, I was asked to do it by other staff members.  I did not just see your post and decide to write it on my own.

QuoteI'm "upset" because you're targetting me. And you're abusing your power by doing so.
Um... I'm not targeting you.  If I were targeting you I'd have made sure the script wiped that post when it ran last night.

I'm pretty much done with your karma BS, and the other staff members can verify that I've barely commented on it at all other than talking about making the script.  And the only reason I did that is because I'm the only one who writes them right now.  I told them I'd do it on the weekend, and yesterday was Saturday, so I spent the afternoon writing it.

Emily

Can you give technical details about this script? Is it similar to the script you tested a few months back that removed karma entries after a given date? I forgot what thread that was it, but maybe you'll remember.

If I remember corrected that script was tested (maybe for a day or so) on the live forum and it worked. How is this one different?

Mooby the Golden Sock

I am not sure what you mean but this is a new one.

It selects people with duplicate karma limit 30, then for each person selects posts with duplicates limit 30, then grabs the most recent time stamp, deletes duplicates, counts the number deleted and subtracts karma accordingly, and sends a PM summarizing the changes

Emily

I guess what I'm asking is if the most recent timestamp for karma gets compared to when the script will take effect, such as 10/18/2015. It'll preserve all members karma from before that date while remove only duplicate karma after that date. Basically, instead of having it affecting karma after the system stared logging it, give the script a date to compare the logs too.

For example, take 10 entries in the karma table, all dups. 5 have a timestamp from 10/17/2015 and 5 have a timestamp from 10/18/2015. Remove all the 10/18/2015 and keep all dups from before it (10/15/2015). 

Mooby the Golden Sock

Currently no, it does not have a cutoff date.

Emily

I see. well, it'll easy to incorporate. Compare a start date to when the script takes effect, such as today and compare all timestamps after that date.

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/date-and-time-functions.html#function_from-unixtime

kevin

Quote from: Mooby the Golden Sock on October 18, 2015, 10:35:32 PM
I am not sure what you mean but this is a new one.

It selects people with duplicate karma limit 30, then for each person selects posts with duplicates limit 30, then grabs the most recent time stamp, deletes duplicates, counts the number deleted and subtracts karma accordingly, and sends a PM summarizing the changes

what are "people with duplicate karma limit 30?"

kevin

kevin

Mooby the Golden Sock

Quote from: kevin on October 19, 2015, 12:15:30 AMwhat are "people with duplicate karma limit 30?"
People who have received two or more karma from the same person on at least one post.  Limit 30 means the script only picks the first 30 people it finds who meet these criteria.

FGOH

On the Limit 30 - I commented behind the scenes that the script might explode but Mooby had already limited it to 30 at a time in order to avoid that happening. He's smart like that.
I'm not signing anything without consulting my lawyer.

Kiahanie

Quote from: Gnu Ordure on October 18, 2015, 07:43:47 PM
Quote from: Mooby the Golden Sock on October 18, 2015, 06:53:23 PM[. . . .]
QuoteYou are not the only member on this forum.

Didn't say I was; but you're sure focusing on me, Admin Moo. And you're abusing your power in the process.

Gnu --  In discussing the Forum's karma issues, the suggestion of limiting applause/smite to one karma per post per member was brought up as one way to reduce karma wars, which seriously distort the purpose of karma on this board. That approach was strongly approved, and Mooby wrote the script at Moderators' request. I really don't think this is a good example of Mooby targeting you. And the Mods weren't targeting you either -the desire was to degrade one source of discord (karma war) so the forum as a whole could be a more pleasant place for both substantive and insubstantial discussions.
"If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet ... maybe we could understand something." --Federico Fellini....."Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation" -Jellaludin Rumi,

kevin

but it won't, you do realize?

targeting a single post for multiple karma is only one of many ways to play games with karma, and is something that does obsess some people. but your overall karma score is displayed by your avatar, and anybody who chooses can select among all of your pre-existant posts to smite or applaud, and the result is instantly visible, permanently.

for example, i can now applaud your post above this one only one time, ever. but if i decide to work on modifying your karma score, you already have 3,598 other posts that i can smite or applaud without revisiting this one.

i think one karma per post per person is a good idea with respect to making karma meaningful, so far as that can ever occur, but it won't have any effect on karma wars.

+1 for trying something, though

Happy Evolute

Quote from: kevin on October 19, 2015, 10:12:12 PM
... if i decide to work on modifying your karma score, you already have 3,598 other posts that i can smite or applaud without revisiting this one.

If the recipient of your laborious 3,598 extra applauds/smites cared enough to complain to the Admins about the suspicious increase in positive/negative Karma then the Admins would be able to identify you as the culprit; the consequences are explained in the the FAQ. Then all your work would have been for nothing (7,196 hours of work wasted  ||sad||).
An axiom is a proposition that defeats its opponents by the fact that they have to accept it and use it in the process of any attempt to deny it. - Ayn Rand

kevin

if you're going to moderate based on rules rather than dictate by decree, you'd have to explain what was wrong first. there's nothing in the FAQ that addresses what i pointed out:

QuoteRandomly smiting/applauding a large number of members in a short space of time.
Creating a sock-puppet to applaud your own posts.
Applauding/smiting one particular member over and over in a short space of time.

except this:

QuoteThe Admins reserve the right to determine if and when abuse has occurred

Kiahanie

Quote from: kevin on October 19, 2015, 10:12:12 PMbut it won't, you do realize?

targeting a single post for multiple karma is only one of many ways to play games with karma, and is something that does obsess some people. but your overall karma score is displayed by your avatar, and anybody who chooses can select among all of your pre-existant posts to smite or applaud, and the result is instantly visible, permanently.

for example, i can now applaud your post above this one only one time, ever. but if i decide to work on modifying your karma score, you already have 3,598 other posts that i can smite or applaud without revisiting this one.

i think one karma per post per person is a good idea with respect to making karma meaningful, so far as that can ever occur, but it won't have any effect on karma wars.

+1 for trying something, though

That's fine. Anyone willing to invest that much energy in smiting me must care an awful lot, undoubtedly more than I do. I will take it as a compliment that someone went to so much work and effort, as compared to the drive-by snap-smite that is so cheap.

But as mentioned elsewhere, there is more on the drawing table that will help limit the weapons available for Karma War.. Not eliminate, but help.
"If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet ... maybe we could understand something." --Federico Fellini....."Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation" -Jellaludin Rumi,

Happy Evolute

Quote from: kevin on October 19, 2015, 10:37:43 PM
... except this ...

Yup.

You noticed the "includes but not limited to" bit, I take it? You noticed that "short space of time" was left undefined? You noticed that there is nothing about Karma in the Rules?

Maybe there are ways to abuse Karma that the Staff has not thought of? Maybe the Staff realises that there are ways to abuse Karma that the Staff has not thought of?

||think||

An axiom is a proposition that defeats its opponents by the fact that they have to accept it and use it in the process of any attempt to deny it. - Ayn Rand

kevin

yes, HE.

i noticed that "karma abuse" is mostly left undefined, and therefore enforcement is based on moderator digestion and reporting whims.

but mostly i noticed that policing karma is a waste of time.

Happy Evolute

Mooby the Golden Sock

Quote from: kevin on October 19, 2015, 10:12:12 PMfor example, i can now applaud your post above this one only one time, ever. but if i decide to work on modifying your karma score, you already have 3,598 other posts that i can smite or applaud without revisiting this one.
That is also an issue. And one idea to change that is a script that flags when karma timestamp - post timestamp > (some number, say 30 days or something.) And then do the same thing.

kevin

you can't possibly be serious.

can you?

Steveox

I have more negative karma than positive karma i want half of them removed!

We are the silent majority

Mooby the Golden Sock

Actually Steve, you have more positive karma.

kevin

Steveox

Case

"You have formed us for Yourself, and our hearts are restless until they find rest in You." Augustine, Confessions, Book 1, Chapter 1

Steveox

Cause a MOD deleted some mine negative Karma i gave to others. So its only fair they delete some of theirs giving to me.

meAgain

Sorry, but I think this whole thing is messing with Karma.  Y?all really don?t get the whole karma thing, do ya?   

First, I think it is weird to go retro.  Why not make this the rule from here on out.  Why go back?  If I thought a person deserved 5 smites for a particular post, it is a little unfair to tell me now that I wasted 4 smites.  I could have used my karma in different ways 3 years ago, but was not aware that there was a one karma per post limit.  My 4 wasted smites could have been used to give 4 other people a +1.  Seems a bit odd to change the rules mid game and then be penalized for not knowing the rules.   

Also, there are many reasons that I might choose to smite someone.  I might not like a specific thing they said.  I might not like the way they said it.  I might not like the idea that they just said they gave someone else a +1, because I might feel it was idiotic of them to do so.  I might just have remembered something that particular person said awhile back and now feel like smiting them because what they said two threads ago still bugs me.  I might not like that other ill informed individuals are praising this person for a post that I don?t think is praiseworthy and therefore feel the need to counteract any +1?s with a -1.  I might not like the overall worldview that a particular person holds and have the desire to smite them ? it might be what I am feeling toward the person in general and not necessarily post related.  I might be mad that the person just smited me.  I might actually feel like messing with someone a little and smiting them for something they think was innocuous, but because of many many previous posts that I would have loved to have smited but didn?t, think it perfectly fair to smite them now for something I think they deserved it for previously.       

Can a moderator tell me if any of the reasons I listed above are illegal? 

Now I know that there is a one karma per post limit.  If one post a person made is, IMO, worthy of more than one +1 or more than one -1, I now know that I will just have to demonstrate that opinion/right of mine by spreading the karma I give over multiple posts of theirs. 

I would like to know if I will be penalized for doing so.  IOW, if my next five -1?s are for the same person for seemingly innocent posts, will I get in trouble? 

Let me know.  Thanks.     

Meat

Because this place caved to one poster MeAgain. He/she didn't get enough attention as a child evidently. :D
"Brilliant Meat!" +1 (composer)
"Amen Meat." (Former Believer)
"Like Meat said." (Francis)
"Not brilliant, Meat!" — Villanelle
"Damned right Meat." -Kusa
 "You call this comment censorship Meatless?" (Boobs)

Kusa

Happy Evolute

Quote from: meAgain on October 21, 2015, 01:59:14 AM
... there are many reasons that I might choose to smite someone.  I might not like a specific thing they said.  I might not like the way they said it.  I might not like the idea that they just said they gave someone else a +1, because I might feel it was idiotic of them to do so.  I might just have remembered something that particular person said awhile back and now feel like smiting them because what they said two threads ago still bugs me.  I might not like that other ill informed individuals are praising this person for a post that I don?t think is praiseworthy and therefore feel the need to counteract any +1?s with a -1.  I might not like the overall worldview that a particular person holds and have the desire to smite them ? it might be what I am feeling toward the person in general and not necessarily post related.  I might be mad that the person just smited me.  I might actually feel like messing with someone a little and smiting them for something they think was innocuous, but because of many many previous posts that I would have loved to have smited but didn?t, think it perfectly fair to smite them now for something I think they deserved it for previously.

Bwahahaha!

Join us meAgain!

eyeshaveit

Quote from: Steveox on October 21, 2015, 12:36:34 AM
Cause a MOD deleted some mine negative Karma i gave to others. So its only fair they delete some of theirs giving to me.

That's simple math, and it sounds fair to me, but isn't asking for "half gone" a bit excessive? That would be over 500 smites. Maybe Mooby would buy into it, if you only asked to have 200 smites removed. You know, half a loaf is better than none, eh? And besides, you want to stay on his good side, in case another Mod position opens up - Colonel Mustard in the library with a wrench - these things happen.

TrisTennant

So that's what that message was about. It was rather confusing
But everything changed when the Calgary Flames attacked.

Case

Now I know that there is a one karma per post limit.  If one post a person made is, IMO, worthy of more than one +1 or more than one -1, I now know that I will just have to demonstrate that opinion/right of mine by spreading the karma I give over multiple posts of theirs. 

I would like to know if I will be penalized for doing so.  IOW, if my next five -1?s are for the same person for seemingly innocent posts, will I get in trouble? 

Let me know.  Thanks.   

Meagain, no post deserves five smites from one person. The point of karma is to smite posts, not posters. So you shouldnt be smiting innocuous posts because of something someone said five posts back.

meAgain

Quote from: Case on October 21, 2015, 11:36:12 AM

Let me know.  Thanks.   

Meagain, no post deserves five smites from one person. The point of karma is to smite posts, not posters. So you shouldnt be smiting innocuous posts because of something someone said five posts back.

I thought part of the point of karma was to allow people to in a sense silently vent.  This silent venting can help get out frustrations that might otherwise come out in counterproductive/negative posts.  If someone posts something that I find offensive or ignorant, who are you to declare the karma value it deserves?   

Also, why is the point of a karma to smite posts, not posters?  I have no doubt I have rec'd plenty of smites for simply having a different opinion then someone else.   It's difficult not to see the irony and take that personal in a forum encouraging differing views.  Come share your thoughts/views/all are welcome, but you better not say certain things or we'll spite you.    If this website prides itself on free discussion and the allowing of alternative views, then it seems a bit hypocritical to allow karma that can be given simply because another person does not share the same view.  I would equate that with smiting the poster not the post.  If I post something saying I think IVF is wrong and someone smites me.  How exactly should I have phrased it? 

Anyway . . . my two cents.  I think what this new ruling simply means is those who complain about karma will now feel more satisfied and those of us who ignore it and or only utilize it because it is unfortunately there, will sometimes pay the price for sounding off via the karma button.

Final thought . . .  Isn't karma supposedly a "what goes around comes around" type of philosophy?  Doesn't karma pretty much mean things have a way of working themselves out.  Soooooooooo . . . .  kind of ironic to need to create a human tally sheet to keep score.  So, I guess it is a good think I don't believe in karma.  ||smiley||

Inertialmass

Each time the topic has arisen I've said that the entire karma function is just dumb in a Forum allegedly intended for civil discourse.

But they just won't listen to little me, so in frustration I continue to smite the smiters who promote smiting. 

I believe that my approach has actually worked to turn several pro-karmaics over to at least beginning to question the value of it.
God and religion are not conveyances of Truth or Comfort.  They function as instruments of earthly social control.

Happy Evolute

Quote from: meAgain on October 21, 2015, 12:57:27 PM
I thought part of the point of karma was to allow people to in a sense silently vent.

You can still do this, meAgain. Why, I just smote your excellent post Reply #46 for a second time, since it so eloquently show-cased the joy of smiting.

What happens now is that, after a while, the Angel of Karma will visit the post and slay all but the last-born of the Karma I have awarded you. Eventually the Karma score of that post might reflect the overall democratic view of the membership voting on it, not the view of just one particularly zealous member.

<--- Angel of Karma

Kiahanie

Hey, Mooby -- here's the avatar for your karma-culling script.

Happy Evolute

Kiahanie

Quote from: meAgain on October 21, 2015, 01:59:14 AM[. . . .]
I could have used my karma in different ways 3 years ago, but was not aware that there was a one karma per post limit.  My 4 wasted smites could have been used to give 4 other people a +1.  Seems a bit odd to change the rules mid game and then be penalized for not knowing the rules.   
You are not being penalized when the smites you deliver to others are culled. You might instead complain about your own smites and applauds being culled, but the smites you give to others are no longer yours to exert any claim on.

Quote from: meAgain[img width=30 height=20]http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j442/Kiahanie/UtilPics/snipRIGHT.jpg[/img]. . . .]
Not unless someone notices and files a complaint, and maybe not even then (if found not guilty of karmic abuse).

Steveox

Ill be satisfied if 350 smites are removed from my Karma

eyeshaveit

Quote from: Steveox on October 21, 2015, 07:21:43 PM
Ill be satisfied if 350 smites are removed from my Karma

Professor Plum in the lounge with a knife.

meAgain

QuoteYou are not being penalized when the smites you deliver to others are culled. You might instead complain about your own smites and applauds being culled, but the smites you give to others are no longer yours to exert any claim on.

Sure I am.  The time I spent bothering to smite someone or +1 them, has now been shown to be a waste of my time ? as it is no longer reflected in their karma points, which was my hope in bothering to do so.  I?d call that being penalized.  The peace that I felt in dulling out said +1 or -1 is no more.   And for what purpose?  Like I said before, why go retro?  Why not make the new one karma per post rule from here on out.  Seems fair to all parties.  To go back and change what has already occurred seems to be ridiculously messing with karma.  You get that, right?

Quotethe smites you give to others are no longer yours to exert any claim on.

If the smites I gave to others are no longer mine to claim ? then why send me a message informing me that they have been erased?  If they weren?t considered mine, I wouldn?t have been sent a message informing me about their whereabouts.  Apparently, they are, according to the forum, something still filed under me.  You don?t get to have it both ways.  If the +1?s or -1?s given no longer have anything to do with the individual who gave them, then this very rule wouldn?t exist.   

No matter . . . plenty of awesome and stupid posts out there to spread my karma deliverance around. 

FGOH

The message you get is about smites/applauds that others have given to you which have been removed under the new rule as being duplicates. The purpose of the message is to explain to you why your karma score has changed. The giver of the smite or applaud is not informed that any smite or applaud they gave has been removed. At least that's the way I understand it.

meAgain

Quote from: FGOH on October 22, 2015, 09:20:03 AM
The message you get is about smites/applauds that others have given to you which have been removed under the new rule as being duplicates. The purpose of the message is to explain to you why your karma score has changed. The giver of the smite or applaud is not informed that any smite or applaud they gave has been removed. At least that's the way I understand it.

Then I got sent the wrong message.  I rec'd a message indicating my karma had changed from threads that I never posted in -- didn't even know existed quite frankly.  I then assumed perhaps those were threads in which I had given people +1's or -1's, even though I had no recollection of those threads, but since this went as far back as 2008 I figured perhaps I did and had just forgot.  Maybe now you can understand my seeing this whole thing as silly.   

FGOH

Quote from: meAgain on October 22, 2015, 11:44:52 AM
Quote from: FGOH on October 22, 2015, 09:20:03 AM

Then I got sent the wrong message.  I rec'd a message indicating my karma had changed from threads that I never posted in -- didn't even know existed quite frankly.  I then assumed perhaps those were threads in which I had given people +1's or -1's, even though I had no recollection of those threads, but since this went as far back as 2008 I figured perhaps I did and had just forgot.  Maybe now you can understand my seeing this whole thing as silly.   

Yes, you did get sent a wrong message, it would appear. The initial script had a bug in it and reported wrong thread titles where karma had been removed. I have checked mine and have the same situation, with karma allegedly being removed from posts I made in 2008 when I did not even join until 2010.

Mooby has fixed the problem so if you get a future message when the system removes more karma you should find that any threads referred to in that message are all threads in which you have posted, and thus received karma which has been removed.

Sorry for any confusion.

Inertialmass

I count 104 positives removed from my score (so far), and 29 smites removed.

This is a great morale booster.

Thanks, Gnu.

Thanks, Obama.
God and religion are not conveyances of Truth or Comfort.  They function as instruments of earthly social control.

kevin

Gnu Ordure

Quote from: Mooby the Golden Sock on October 18, 2015, 09:47:17 PM
Quote from: Gnu Ordure on October 18, 2015, 07:43:47 PMHyperbole aside, you spend some time fretting about me. Agreed?
Not really, until this most recent discussion I haven't been thinking about you much at all.
I don't believe you.

Quote2. Why ignore the question you were explicitly asked ("may we opt out of karma?") ?  Why suddenly switch direction and work on the answer to a different question?
To be fair, the "different question" was asked first a while ago.  This was not a switch of direction, it was a second thing brought up during the course of the first discussion.
I don't believe you.

QuoteSo you just wrote this new script, and you were thinking about my fund-raising post, both in the last two weeks, right?
Yes, these are both things that happened within the past two weeks.  They did not happen concurrently, though.  The possibility of writing a script did not cause me to comment on your post, and the post did not cause me to write the script.
I don't believe you.

QuoteUm... I'm not targeting you.  If I were targeting you I'd have made sure the script wiped that post when it ran last night.
Non sequitur.

QuoteI'm pretty much done with your karma BS, and the other staff members can verify that I've barely commented on it at all other than talking about making the script.
Why would you 'comment on it'? You (and your admins) do what you want. Screw the members. Screw fairness.

I'm pretty much done with your BS too, Mooby.

Mooby the Golden Sock

Quote from: Gnu Ordure on October 28, 2015, 01:35:52 AM
Quote from: Mooby the Golden Sock on October 18, 2015, 09:47:17 PM

||lies|| 

||lies||

||lies||

Case

Mooby, you look.....

........smaller.  ||unsure||

kevin

Mr. Blackwell

So, if I really, REALLY like a post...I can only give it one +1?

I guess that's fair. Since If I really, REALLY dislike a post...I can only give it one -1

But...can I still give a +1 or -1 on every single comment that someone makes if I like or dislike the person regardless of what the comment was?
Unrestricted free speech, paradoxically, results in less speech, not more. - Yoel Roth

Inertialmass

GratefulApe

Nice! now I know that people actually read what I post.  ||tip hat||