News:

New members, please say hello to the forum in the Introductions board!

Main Menu

Started by Boots, July 14, 2015, 02:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gnu Ordure

Quote from: eyeshaveit on July 20, 2015, 10:37:39 AM
Others might apply soothing balm to your hurt feelings, after all, you are a "valued member" here (aren't we all)? So, go to them for succor.
LOL. Don't flatter yourself, Eyes. You 'hurt'  me about as much as a mosquito.

QuoteAnd here we are again, the third time.
The phrase, "And here we are again, the third time." implies what, a conspiracy of sorts?
It's a pattern of false accusations.

QuoteSo please stop this, Eyes. It's ridiculous and does you no credit.
Stop what, exercising my mind; stop conversations in general; stop conversing with you; stop breaking your heart; stop what, exactly?
Stop bearing *E1a - Moderator 11* against me.

Teaspoon Shallow

Quote from: eyeshaveit on July 20, 2015, 03:20:25 PM
I draw very few penalties here; precisely because I try to not to, but in doing so, I stifle myself; I stifle my speech; I stifle stimulating conversation.
For example: if on the street, I say to someone, "Get behind me, Satan.", that person understands that I am commenting on an idea, and not calling them a 'name'.
Firstly I have noticed you generate very few reports and that is to be commended.  I think we should all seek to develop the skills to communicate with other valued members without breaking the rules.
Secondly how do you know the understanding of other people you call Satan?  What method do you use to do this?  Do you think that can be done reliably on this medium?

Quote from: EyesBut not so here, I would get 'dinged' for an insult. That results in a lack of spontaneity and in being overly cautious, and shuts down the aforementioned "stimulating conversation".
How spontaneous is it to use a preconceived line?  How stimulating is it to call someone Satan or other names?
What does it do for conversation except steer it in an off topic direction?
I am sorry Eyes but I fail to see your point. 
If someone used your exact same argument but substituted moron instead of Satan, do you feel that is also stimulating conversation? 

Quote from: EyesOf course, this does not affect everyone (just look to the penalty log), but the moderation here does cast a pall, and certain grumpy old men ||wink|| rule. All hail grumpy old men. 
Are insults and slurs a useful tool in getting your point across in general discussion?  Do you employ them often or only when you are in street preacher mode?
Do you encourage conversation when you are preaching or do you prefer to do the talking and the others should just do the listening?
"If I could stop a person from raping a child, I would.    That's the difference between me and your God." Tracie Harris

eyeshaveit

Quote from: Gnu Ordure on July 20, 2015, 05:28:22 PM
Others might apply soothing balm to your hurt feelings, after all, you are a "valued member" here (aren't we all)? So, go to them for succor.

The phrase, "And here we are again, the third time." implies what, a conspiracy of sorts?

Stop what, exercising my mind; stop conversations in general; stop conversing with you; stop breaking your heart; stop what, exactly?
Stop bearing false witness against me.

Here I am, trying so hard, to be the gentleman, the one my mother always wanted me to be; by giving you the last word. And here you are, exercising your privilege not to have the last word; by drawing your sabre to joust with a mosquito, and further, you charge me with "false witness". I know you aren't calling me a liar, so what is this false witness business, eh? What is it, my friend? What is it? 
Jesus Christ died so you could have access to God.

eyeshaveit

Quote from: Teaspoon Shallow on July 21, 2015, 01:03:30 AM
Quote from: eyeshaveit on July 20, 2015, 03:20:25 PM
I draw very few penalties here; precisely because I try to not to, but in doing so, I stifle myself; I stifle my speech; I stifle stimulating conversation.
For example: if on the street, I say to someone, "Get behind me, Satan.", that person understands that I am commenting on an idea, and not calling them a 'name'.
Firstly I have noticed you generate very few reports and that is to be commended.  I think we should all seek to develop the skills to communicate with other valued members without breaking the rules.
1. Secondly how do you know the understanding of other people you call Satan? 
2. What method do you use to do this? 
3. Do you think that can be done reliably on this medium?

(numeration mine)

1. How do you know the "understanding of other people", the other adults that you talk to in your culture? And "Satan" is the example, not the 'issue' of which we are speaking.
2. "What method do you use to do this?" Aren't we 'all' much the same, as to these 'things'?
3. And, yes, it is "done reliably" all the time in this medium, but not on this forum. And the Satan example is just that, an example; it is nothing more. You asked for an example, but I'm not bothered that I can't post the "Satan" example to others here. Do you understand the use and power of examples? Don't get carried away by examples, stick to the issue. 

Quote from: EyesBut not so here, I would get 'dinged' for an insult. That results in a lack of spontaneity and in being overly cautious, and shuts down the aforementioned "stimulating conversation".
How spontaneous is it to use a preconceived line?  How stimulating is it to call someone Satan or other names?
What does it do for conversation except steer it in an off topic direction?
I am sorry Eyes but I fail to see your point.

Sorry, but we don't seem to 'live in the same world'. In my 'world', and 'on the street', cliches abound as a part of daily conversations. "Street conversations' do not exist without platitudes and hackneyed phrases, and "Get behind me, Satan" is one these. I live and work 'far' from academia, so that might account for our differences? See also the above, of and for the Satan example. 

If someone used your exact same argument but substituted moron instead of Satan, do you feel that is also stimulating conversation? 

Your substitution further proves that we are not 'on the same page', and that might be my lack of communication skills, but then again, it might not.

Quote from: EyesOf course, this does not affect everyone (just look to the penalty log), but the moderation here does cast a pall, and certain grumpy old men ||wink|| rule. All hail grumpy old men. 
1. Are insults and slurs a useful tool in getting your point across in general discussion?
2. Do you employ them often
3. or only when you are in street preacher mode?
4. Do you encourage conversation when you are preaching
5. or do you prefer to do the talking and the others should just do the listening?

(numeration mine)

1. No, and why do you even ask? Are we on 'the same page', here? Insults and slurs, indeed ||think||.
2. No, and certainly never, to make a point. See #1.
3. No, but you don't seem to understand 'the street'. See all the above. And see #4 below.
4. This discussion is not about preaching. How has "preaching" crept into the conversation?
5. It is a 'give and take' world, and there is very little to learn on the street or on the Internet, unless others speak their minds. As an example of free-wheeling conversation, don't you 'see' a "Harvey Pekar" in Augusto, he who puts up no shields? But Augusto is a one of kind (and a one of a kind?) here.

Teaspoon Shallow

Quote from: eyeshaveit on July 21, 2015, 10:19:21 AM
1. How do you know the "understanding of other people", the other adults that you talk to in your culture? And "Satan" is the example, not the 'issue' of which we are speaking.
2. "What method do you use to do this?" Aren't we 'all' much the same, as to these 'things'?
3. And, yes, it is "done reliably" all the time in this medium, but not on this forum. And the Satan example is just that, an example; it is nothing more. You asked for an example, but I'm not bothered that I can't post the "Satan" example to others here. Do you understand the use and power of examples? Don't get carried away by examples, stick to the issue. 
1. I note the lack of answer.
2. See 1.
3. What is done?  You have not provided any information in your non answers. 

You advised "The forum already "shoots itself in the foot", by stifling stimulating conversation through overzealous moderation." That is the issue we are discussing.  The example you gave is you are not allowed to use derogatory labels to describe a valued member.  Now you are advising you are not bothered by not being allowed to do so. So how is that stifling stimulating conversation through overzealous moderation?

Quote from: Eyes
Sorry, but we don't seem to 'live in the same world'. In my 'world', and 'on the street', cliches abound as a part of daily conversations. "Street conversations' do not exist without platitudes and hackneyed phrases, and "Get behind me, Satan" is one these. I live and work 'far' from academia, so that might account for our differences? See also the above, of and for the Satan example.
I think you may be right. "Get behind me, Satan" is not a common phrase used in everyday communication around here.  It would probably be taken as either an insult or a promiscuous advance. Could you express what you wanted to communicate using a different term or phrase that would not label me as something negative or making unwanted sexual advances? 

Your substitution further proves that we are not 'on the same page', and that might be my lack of communication skills, but then again, it might not.

That does nothing to answer the question Eyes.  I find it difficult to understand you when you refuse to answer what I feel are very straightforward questions.  You are not providing the information that satisfies the question.  Example: Q. What is 10 plus 10?  A. Maybe we come from different worlds.   ||no||

1. No, and why do you even ask? Are we on 'the same page', here? Insults and slurs, indeed ||think||.
3. No, but you don't seem to understand 'the street'. See all the above. And see #4 below.
4. This discussion is not about preaching. How has "preaching" crept into the conversation?
5. It is a 'give and take' world, and there is very little to learn on the street or on the Internet, unless others speak their minds. As an example of free-wheeling conversation, don't you 'see' a "Harvey Pekar" in Augusto, he who puts up no shields? But Augusto is a one of kind (and a one of a kind?) here.

1. Because you advised  "The forum already "shoots itself in the foot", by stifling stimulating conversation through overzealous moderation." ... But not so here, I would get 'dinged' for an insult. That results in a lack of spontaneity and in being overly cautious, and shuts down the aforementioned "stimulating conversation".

So how is it you can have a stimulating conversation elsewhere without the employment of insults or slurs but here you find that stifling?
2. Why do you find that stifling here?
3. Refer to 2.
4. You share your ministry here and you are objecting to not being allowed to use a phrase to label members that Jesus is reported to have used.  You advise that is stifling.
5. Are you here to learn Eyes?  Regarding both Harvey Pekar and Augusto I am not familiar enough with either to make educated guess.
"If I could stop a person from raping a child, I would.    That's the difference between me and your God." Tracie Harris

eyeshaveit

Quote from: Teaspoon Shallow on July 22, 2015, 12:20:50 AM
Quote from: eyeshaveit on July 21, 2015, 10:19:21 AM
1. I note the lack of answer.
2. See 1.
3. What is done?  You have not provided any information in your non answers.

There is no ?lack of answer?, you are not understanding or 'seeing' the answers. And I don't have the time to 'hold your hand' and walk you through it. That would not be a problem if you only asked one question at a time as I previously requested. It's your choice: to get quickie responses or a solid answer. 

You advised "The forum already "shoots itself in the foot", by stifling stimulating conversation through overzealous moderation." That is the issue we are discussing.  The example you gave is you are not allowed to use derogatory labels to describe a valued member.  Now you are advising you are not bothered by not being allowed to do so. So how is that stifling stimulating conversation through overzealous moderation?

You are taking and misusing an example, instead of processing the subject of the example. The subject is not 'Satan' or "Get behind me, Satan".   

I think you may be right. "Get behind me, Satan" is not a common phrase used in everyday communication around here.  It would probably be taken as either an insult or a promiscuous advance. Could you express what you wanted to communicate using a different term or phrase that would not label me as something negative or making unwanted sexual advances? 

You are taking and misusing an example, instead of processing the subject of the example, which is not 'Satan' or "Get behind me, Satan".

That does nothing to answer the question Eyes.  I find it difficult to understand you when you refuse to answer what I feel are very straightforward questions.  You are not providing the information that satisfies the question.  Example: Q. What is 10 plus 10?  A. Maybe we come from different worlds.   ||no||

See my above answers.

1. Because you advised  "The forum already "shoots itself in the foot", by stifling stimulating conversation through overzealous moderation." ... But not so here, I would get 'dinged' for an insult. That results in a lack of spontaneity and in being overly cautious, and shuts down the aforementioned "stimulating conversation".

So how is it you can have a stimulating conversation elsewhere without the employment of insults or slurs but here you find that stifling?

I don't use insults and slurs elsewhere: either in the world or on the Internet. See my above answers.

2. Why do you find that stifling here?

That would be the subject of the example phrase that I used. Do you know it, do you know of whence we speak?

4. You share your ministry here and you are objecting to not being allowed to use a phrase to label members that Jesus is reported to have used.  You advise that is stifling.

No, I'm not objecting to my not using a phrase. The phrase is only an example: the first one that came into my mind. See my above answers.

5. Are you here to learn Eyes? 

Yes, what are you here for?

Regarding both Harvey Pekar and Augusto I am not familiar enough with either to make educated guess.

Harvey Pekar is a keystroke away. He was one of Robert Crumb's 'boys'. Harvey put his whole private life 'out there' (American Splendor); for all to see, and with pictures.
And you really have no opinions about the posting style of forum members, meaning that you can't give a short sentence to describe the style of the 'regular' posters here? I find that a strange thing for a Moderator to say; particularly about such a prolific poster as Augusto.

Anyway, if you can't 'zero in' and begin to understand me (asking one question per post would help) I'm 'filing for divorce' from you. There's more to life, then to keep correcting your misassumptions. 

Teaspoon Shallow

Quote from: eyeshaveit on July 17, 2015, 09:41:12 AM
The forum already "shoots itself in the foot", by stifling stimulating conversation through overzealous moderation. The ability to comment on karma given, won't turn that bus around.

What specifically do you mean by the above quote? 

Only one question.  ||tip hat||

Gnu Ordure

Quote from: eyeshaveit on July 21, 2015, 09:33:21 AM

Here I am, trying so hard, to be the gentleman, the one my mother always wanted me to be; by giving you the last word. And here you are, exercising your privilege not to have the last word; by drawing your sabre to joust with a mosquito, and further, you charge me with "false witness". I know you aren't calling me a liar, so what is this false witness business, eh? What is it, my friend? What is it?

It seems to me that you're being deliberately obtuse, because I've been quite clear. But I'll explain it again:

Three times recently you have accused me of needing, or always wanting, to have the last word, and I quoted those three accusations in post #83. Those statements about me are incorrect and false, so they qualify as bearing false witness.

So, please stop bearing *E1a - Moderator 11* against me by making these false accusations.

Got it, now?

eyeshaveit

Quote from: Teaspoon Shallow on July 22, 2015, 11:08:19 AM
Quote from: eyeshaveit on July 17, 2015, 09:41:12 AM
The forum already "shoots itself in the foot", by stifling stimulating conversation through overzealous moderation. The ability to comment on karma given, won't turn that bus around.

What specifically do you mean by the above quote? 

Only one question.  ||tip hat||

1. The above and what follows are personal observations. They are my opinions. And as such, they should not be construed as an attack: on IGI; or on the administration; or on the moderators; or on any specific poster.   

2. And IGI is 'what it is'. So, if the powers to be and most others concerned here, are 'happy' with the present state of affairs, then so be it. There is no interest here to incite a mob or rabble-rouse, but

3. IGI is in 'decline'. The same posters, are working over the same old turf, which has become predictable. It is like ?hot dogs and beans for the fourth time this week?. It's not very memorable.

4. On some days the forum seems to be driven by spite, and angst over 'other' poster's behavior and karma. And this path that winds through and to overzealous moderation. No wonder there is a dearth of new posters, not to mention the 'old' posters. The rolls are swollen, but most members are long gone and AWOL. The 'Karma Wars' are a sideshow that drives them away.

5. And to repeat my 'original' post, ?The ability to comment on karma given, won't? change anything, anytime soon. What would help are four things:

A. Eliminate all smites.

B. Eliminate 'The Corner?.

C. Put in place a new rule: No 'public' discussion (none), on any thread of a poster's penalties, and that would be before, during and after a ban(s). Then enforce appropriate penalties for such infractions.

D. Another new rule: All 'discussion' of behavior, karma, penalties, enforcement, etc., would be confined to the ?About This Forum? section. Or even better, yet, confine it to a separate section, and one hidden from guests. Again, enforce appropriate penalties for any infractions.

eyeshaveit

Quote from: Gnu Ordure on July 22, 2015, 04:08:00 PM
Quote from: eyeshaveit on July 21, 2015, 09:33:21 AM

It seems to me that you're being deliberately obtuse, because I've been quite clear. But I'll explain it again:

Three times recently you have accused me of needing, or always wanting, to have the last word, and I quoted those three accusations in post #83. Those statements about me are incorrect and false, so they qualify as bearing false witness.

So, please stop bearing false witness against me by making these false accusations.

Got it, now?

Get over yourself, you are confusing my 'opinions' with false accusations, (deliberate lying?) about you.
You have opinions that you freely express here. You have called my posts "nonsense". You recently 'played' Grammar Police with me, I think you were working the night shift out of Punctuation. That's all in the nature of Internet 'give and take', and I hold no malice toward you. So I certainly have not made, nor do I make any false accusations against you or anyone else. My posts have been opinions, based on my observations.
So again, get over yourself, and read my latest post above /\ /\ /\. It might even cheer you up. ||smiley||

Gnu Ordure

Quote from: eyeshaveit on July 22, 2015, 05:22:28 PM

So, please stop bearing false witness against me by making these false accusations.

Got it, now?

Get over yourself,

Eyes, your mother would be very disappointed in you, because that isn't very gentlemanly at all.

And that's also no way to address your "friend".

Quoteyou are confusing my 'opinions' with false accusations, (deliberate lying?) about you.
No, you accused me of doing stuff which I don't do, so it's not simply a matter of your opinion. You said, "you have your celebrated last word, as you always do." That's an assertion, not an opinion.

And it's a false accusation, because I don't always have the last word, and it's not celebrated by anyone.

So *E1a - Moderator 12*

Teaspoon Shallow

Quote from: eyeshaveit on July 22, 2015, 05:04:04 PM

5. And to repeat my 'original' post, ?The ability to comment on karma given, won't? change anything, anytime soon. What would help are four things:

A. Eliminate all smites.

B. Eliminate 'The Corner?.

C. Put in place a new rule: No 'public' discussion (none), on any thread of a poster's penalties, and that would be before, during and after a ban(s). Then enforce appropriate penalties for such infractions.

D. Another new rule: All 'discussion' of behavior, karma, penalties, enforcement, etc., would be confined to the ?About This Forum? section. Or even better, yet, confine it to a separate section, and one hidden from guests. Again, enforce appropriate penalties for any infractions.

This is good feedback.  ||tip hat||

eyeshaveit

Quote from: Gnu Ordure on July 22, 2015, 11:19:49 PM
Quote from: eyeshaveit on July 22, 2015, 05:22:28 PM

Got it, now?

Get over yourself,

Eyes, your mother would be very disappointed in you, because that isn't very gentlemanly at all.

And that's also no way to address your "friend".

Quoteyou are confusing my 'opinions' with false accusations, (deliberate lying?) about you.
No, you accused me of doing stuff which I don't do, so it's not simply a matter of your opinion. You said, "you have your celebrated last word, as you always do." That's an assertion, not an opinion.

And it's a false accusation, because I don't always have the last word, and it's not celebrated by anyone.

So you're bearing false witness.

/\ /\ /\  ||cheesy||  'screenshot' example of the "celebrated last word".  ||wink|| /\ /\ /\

Teaspoon Shallow

eyeshaveit

Quote from: Teaspoon Shallow on July 23, 2015, 10:57:05 AM
Projection?

Playing the odds, but all bets are off now, after your "projection".

Gnu Ordure

Projection?

The emoticons suggest that it was just a pathetic attempt at humour, in order to evade or deflect the point.

eyeshaveit

Quote from: Gnu Ordure on July 23, 2015, 02:09:31 PM
Projection?

The emoticons suggest that it was just a pathetic attempt at humour, in order to evade the point.

You continually misunderstand my "point". That is the 'real' problem (point), between you and I, but I refuse to deem that, as "pathetic". I'll look for a reason(s), immediately after I solve the severe famine in South Sudan. Stay tuned. 

Gnu Ordure

Quote from: eyeshaveit on July 23, 2015, 02:37:32 PM
Quote from: Gnu Ordure on July 23, 2015, 02:09:31 PM
Projection?

The emoticons suggest that it was just a pathetic attempt at humour, in order to evade the point.

You continually misunderstand my "point".
You continually fail to make your point clear.

And you continue to fail to acknowledge that *E1a - Moderator 12*