News:

IGI has a myspace page.  Please add us if you're a myspace fiend!

Main Menu

New Feature: Tagging

Started by Moderator 09, July 01, 2014, 01:59:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

urs

Quote from: Gnu Ordure on August 02, 2014, 01:26:46 AM

Sorry, I may be having a senior moment, but I don't quite understand the intended purpose of this thing.

Is it simply a way of alerting someone that you've replied to their post?

I used it the other day in a post to Urs because I figured she's not here very often and she might not see my post and I wanted her to see it because it took me 7:38 minutes of my precious time to type it I thought she would find it interesting (she replied).

I also used it to just bump a thread and get a response from the person ignoring me (he replied).

Am I doing it wrong?

I think you're pretty much doing it right. I appreciate it as a function because I do miss a lot of stuff, and tend to only focus on a couple threads at a time. So, I found it helpful that you used it to let me know you were speaking to me specifically, which helps me avoid missing certain posts, or looking like I'm ignoring people when really, I just have a limit to how much reading/replying I can do here due largely to time constraints.

Mr. Blackwell

At this time the answer is not no. The question is why?

Jay

So.  I still get notifications from people on my ignore list?

I guess I have to turn this feature completely off for myself then.  How do I do that?
I am me, if you dont like it, tough luck!

whatever

:)
"Certitude is not evidence of truth. Nor does repetition make it true. If anything, repetition should make you suspicious. Truth always stands up to scrutiny on its merits."
― Steven Hassan PhD

Mooby the Golden Sock

Quote from: Jay on August 21, 2014, 11:31:09 AM

I guess I have to turn this feature completely off for myself then.  How do I do that?
I don't know, but I will ask for you.
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.--BÖC

Jay

Quote from: Mooby the Golden Sock on August 21, 2014, 05:30:39 PM
Quote from: Jay on August 21, 2014, 11:31:09 AM

I don't know, but I will ask for you.

I am looking, but I dont see anyway in our profile to turn off this feature.

And it is beginning to be annoying considering it bypasses the ignore feature.
I am me, if you dont like it, tough luck!

Mooby the Golden Sock

Users who are clearly abusing the feature or using it to harass others could have their ability to use it removed, if that's applicable.

Jezzebelle

well if that's the case... then @whatever can you please actually try to be an adult and quit tagging jay and abusing the feature so EVERYONE doesn't end up losing the feature
It's so damn easy to say that life's so hard

Mooby the Golden Sock

Oh, dear, you misunderstand.

I don't know how to make it so that Member X can keep from receiving mentions, but I do know how to make it so Member X can't send mentions.  This can be done without affecting anyone else.

Jezzebelle

Quote from: Mooby the Golden Sock on August 22, 2014, 10:53:59 PM
Oh, dear, you misunderstand.

I don't know how to make it so that Member X can keep from receiving mentions, but I do know how to make it so Member X can't send mentions.  This can be done without affecting anyone else.

oh  good!   ||trampoline||

whatever

Quote from: Jezzebelle on August 22, 2014, 10:38:49 PM
well if that's the case... then @whatever can you please actually try to be an adult and quit tagging jay and abusing the feature so EVERYONE doesn't end up losing the feature

Done. I will no longer tag him. Sorry.
"Certitude is not evidence of truth. Nor does repetition make it true. If anything, repetition should make you suspicious. Truth always stands up to scrutiny on its merits."
― Steven Hassan PhD

Jezzebelle

Quote from: whatever on August 23, 2014, 12:52:55 AM
Quote from: Jezzebelle on August 22, 2014, 10:38:49 PM

Done. I will no longer tag him. Sorry.

thank you :)

Assyriankey

Moobs, can you make it so we don't need to look up the member's id number each time?

[ member=jay ]Jay[ /member ]

?
Ignoring composer and wilson is key to understanding the ontological unity of the material world.

FGOH

@Assyriankey - you don't have to look up the id number. You type the @ and then start typing the member's user name and pretty soon you get a drop down of choices to pick. The system puts the member's id number in - or are you trying to make things easier for the system?
I'm not signing anything without consulting my lawyer.

Assyriankey

Ignoring composer and wilson is key to understanding the ontological unity of the material world.

Mooby the Golden Sock

Quote from: FGOH on December 07, 2014, 03:46:50 PM
@Assyriankey - you don't have to look up the id number. You type the @ and then start typing the member's user name and pretty soon you get a drop down of choices to pick. The system puts the member's id number in - or are you trying to make things easier for the system?
Nah, AK just quoted a post and saw how the markup went.  ID is better for the system anyways because in the rare event a member name changes, the number will still point to the same profile.

Assyriankey

It's all done client side in javascript, very clever.