News:

Are you in the IGI Yearbook?

Main Menu

I actually learned something new this week..

Started by davdi, April 11, 2013, 10:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davdi

The charachter that Clint Eastwood played in many of his his roles was based on a man named John Salmon Ford.

I had never heard about the origin of the Texas Rangers or the Antelope Hills battle (if such a title can be given to what actually happened there).

The book is titled Empire of the Summer Moon.  It traces the history of native peoples in western Texas from the 1840 through the civil war and beyond.  Although many will consider it biased, i don't think it is.

Has anyone else here read it?   I hope so.
বাদল

Furu ike ya
kawazu tobikomu
mizu no oto

καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν.

davdi

On the face of it the book is about Quannah Parker and the people he was chief of during the last stages of Manifest Destiny.

We all know that "The Great Father" in Washington was not in the least disposed to be fair or kind to the native peoples and that truth has never prevailed when it come to the will of the nation, he deals with that interaction from both sides of the conflict.
বাদল

Furu ike ya
kawazu tobikomu
mizu no oto

Traveler

That looks really interesting, davdi! Thanks for letting us know about it. When I was a young sprout, I wrote a paper on Cochise, and have always been very interested in our native peoples. This looks like something to add to my wish list.

Thanks!  ||tip hat||
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

davdi

বাদল

Furu ike ya
kawazu tobikomu
mizu no oto