News:

Are you in the IGI Yearbook?

Main Menu

Earth's Children Series

Started by Jay, July 09, 2013, 07:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay

Anyone ever read these?

A post elsewhere on the forum made me think of it.

The original book, Clan of the Cave Bear was released over 30 years ago.  I probably read the bulk of the books in the 1990's, but have not touched the series in easily a decade.

I just looked, and realized the author, Jean Auel finally finished the series.  Anyone pick up and read that?  The Land of Painted Caves?

If you have not, and you like Historical fiction, it is a very good read.  It is basically set about 30,000 yrs ago, and touches on many topics frequently discussed here....evolutionary, early man, religion, archeology, etc etc etc.

Good reads if you like this sort of stuff.
I am me, if you dont like it, tough luck!

urs

Thanks, Jay! Might check into these for myself and the kiddos.

Jay

Quote from: urs on July 10, 2013, 02:38:57 AM

Oh.  Well.  Not really kids reading material.  There is sex and stuff in them.  Much more catered to an adult reading list than a youngins. 

I know the series has the word 'children' in it, but it is literally about earths children, and how we basically came to be.  It goes into things like tool creation, and how the human race evolved socially and culturally in its early beginnings, but it is told through the eyes of a female protagonist.  She is a very strong female protagonist, but some of the subject matter I would say is not suitable for children.

Sorry for the confusion.

urs

Quote from: Jay on July 10, 2013, 02:47:00 AM
Quote from: urs on July 10, 2013, 02:38:57 AM

Oh.  Well.  Not really kids reading material.  There is sex and stuff in them.  Much more catered to an adult reading list than a youngins. 

I know the series has the word 'children' in it, but it is literally about earths children, and how we basically came to be.  It goes into things like tool creation, and how the human race evolved socially and culturally in its early beginnings, but it is told through the eyes of a female protagonist.  She is a very strong female protagonist, but some of the subject matter I would say is not suitable for children.

Sorry for the confusion.

Ooooooooh....I see. Well, it still sounds interesting. A bit like Carl Sagan's "The Dragons of Eden", maybe. I will still check it out.

Jay

I have not read that Sagan book.  Maybe I should pick it up.  Thanks for the tip.

The books are very well written and very well researched imo. 

The best way I can describe the books in a few words.

Ever seen a picture of a cave drawing?

like this...

And wondered how the people that made the drawing lived, what their culture was like, how they interacted with each other?

It takes place a bit further back than those cave drawing.  Something like 30,000 years ago when in the authors estimations, Cro-Magnon people walked the earth at the same time as Neanderthals.  And their interactions with each other are a key to the series.

It is...historical fiction basically from a time 30,000 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_M._Auel

Snakesandsuns

I actually read  Clan of the Cave Bear but I just couldn't get into the second book. Honestly the first book was a little too graphic in parts for my tastes but I still found it somewhat interesting. I had not realized it continued on as a book series this long!
"All gods are three: Amun, Re and Ptah, whom none equals. He who hides his name as Amun, he appears to the face as Re, his body is Ptah." ~ Leiden hymns

Jay

Quote from: Snakesandsuns on July 10, 2013, 03:53:36 AM
I actually read  Clan of the Cave Bear but I just couldn't get into the second book. Honestly the first book was a little too graphic in parts for my tastes but I still found it somewhat interesting. I had not realized it continued on as a book series this long!

As I said, I have not read the last book.  I know I kept checking the book store for several years after her last book(sometime around 2002) and just gave up after like 7 years and not seeing anything.  Only to be reminded about the series today when Steve posted a link to the movie(the movie was horrible btw imo), but it made me go searching, and I fond out she finally released the last book.  So I will probably pick it up soon(although I think a re-read is in order of the whole series.  I typically do that with series books when a new book comes out and I haven't read it in a couple of years....or longer.

But.  Too  graphic?  I will be honest, it has been awhile since I read them.  I do remember a lot of sex and stuff, is that what you mean?