News:

IGI has a myspace page.  Please add us if you're a myspace fiend!

Main Menu

James Miller Associate Professor Chinese Religions Queen's University Canada

Started by rickymooston, May 17, 2013, 11:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meAgain

Sorry Ricky and James.  Sometimes I get carried away.  There is a part of me that always wants to get to the why of it all.  And topics like this get me fired up ? especially when my faith is referred to as ?storybook.?  I have no doubt I could find many wonderful similarities in our beliefs.  I can respect any world view that is able to find beauty in the world we live in and in the lives we live.

rickymooston

James: can you recommend some more freely available English transaltions of Taoist texts other than just the Tao de Jing, Works of Chuang-zi and the Art of War?

For example, I did find this one a while back! http://www.sacred-texts.com/tao/ttx/ttx03.htm I am also curious about whether any Taoist works in the canon actually discuss their pantheon and whether an understanding of the roles of those Gods is generally accepted among most mainstream Taoist sects? If you could present some examples about the nature of one of those Gods, it might be helpful. I assume their concept isn't a transcental one?

MeAgain, no problem. I just provided a gentle reminder to you and slightly to myself that we are consulting James rather than debating him and also that many westerners misrepresent what Taoism is. Actual questions to him are welcome. Apologies for any wrong footing that occurred in getting this thread started and not ensuring that only Taoism is discussed from the start of the OP.
"Re: Why should any Black man have any respect for any cop?
Your question is racist. If the police behave badly then everyone should lose respect for those policemen.", Happy Evolute

Steveox

James are there any restrictions on the Chinese government on practicing religion? Since China is still a communist nation how can they allow practicing on religion under communist rule? Like North Korea doesn't allow religion in their country. Its forbidden.

We are the silent majority

jamesmiller

Thanks Steveox for your question about religion in China. Yes China is led by the Communist Party, and all religion was forbidden during the 1966-76 cultural revolution. Since 1979, however, a policy of "opening and reform" was initiated, and freedom of religious belief was written into the constitution. This has allowed religion to flourish again, though always under the supervision of the government. This policy of supervision rather than disengagement means, somewhat ironically, that the government is more interested in religious affairs than you might imagine.

At this point I'm going to say thank you to all those who contributed to this thread and say goodbye. It's been a great experience for me and I wish you all the best in your discussions about religion across the world!

kevin

may you bathe i the blood of a thousand sheep

rickymooston

Quote from: jamesmiller on June 17, 2013, 06:46:04 PM
At this point I'm going to say thank you to all those who contributed to this thread and say goodbye. It's been a great experience for me and I wish you all the best in your discussions about religion across the world!

Yes, thanks very much for taking the time to drop by.  ||shy||
"Re: Why should any Black man have any respect for any cop?
Your question is racist. If the police behave badly then everyone should lose respect for those policemen.", Happy Evolute

Steveox

Thanks for answering my last question. As my question was the last what prize do I win?  ||grin||

We are the silent majority