News:

New members, please say hello to the forum in the Introductions board!

Main Menu

Leo Igwe, Nigerian Humanist, discusses religion and superstition in Africa

Started by Former Believer, April 01, 2012, 08:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo666

Dear Friends, I will have to go because I have other pressing issues to attend to in the coming week. Its been a pleasure contributing to your forum and following your discussions and debates. As I said in one of my posts LET THE DEBATE CONTINUE! Occasionally I may 'sign in or chime in' Otherwise it has been intellectually stimulating. Wishing all of you, both those who agreed or disagreed with me, totally or partially, the very best.....

none

how long after I type amen do I get the money?
I'm lost, if you see me you are lost also
If Jesus believed in himself he wouldn't have been Jewish.

Former Believer

Leo,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share some  of your life and perspective. You have certainly been a fresh voice here, and I've certainly gained new insights thanks to your visit.  I'm sure that others, theists, agnostics, and atheists alike have likewise been enriched by your presence.

I wish you all the best and thank you again for accepting the invitation to visit the forum.
Don't sacrifice your mind at the altar of belief

rickymooston

Quote from: Leo666 on April 07, 2012, 09:12:52 PM
Dear Friends, I will have to go because I have other pressing issues to attend to in the coming week. Its been a pleasure contributing to your forum and following your discussions and debates. As I said in one of my posts LET THE DEBATE CONTINUE! Occasionally I may 'sign in or chime in' Otherwise it has been intellectually stimulating. Wishing all of you, both those who agreed or disagreed with me, totally or partially, the very best.....

I hope that things in your country will improve. Bestvof luck in you quests.
"Re: Why should any Black man have any respect for any cop?
Your question is racist. If the police behave badly then everyone should lose respect for those policemen.", Happy Evolute

none

Quote from: rickymooston on April 09, 2012, 12:34:15 AM
Quote from: Leo666 on April 07, 2012, 09:12:52 PM

I hope that things in your country will improve. Bestvof luck in you quests.
I bet he has a home and doesn't need a country.
how long after I type amen do I get the money?
I'm lost, if you see me you are lost also
If Jesus believed in himself he wouldn't have been Jewish.

Hemingway

"Dont try to fix me, I'm not broken"

Former Believer

Leo sent me this story.  Argyle, Leo was influenced by the work of Bertrand Russell, something I know you can appreciate:

http://mg.co.za/article/2012-04-10-suffer-the-little-children

Argyle

Wow, I'm floored. I just read the article date.
My asking him about Helen was without any knowledge of who he was.
Leo if you are still around, myself and my entire family tip our hats to you collectively  ||tip hat||
I only hope I can be as good of a representative of the rationality and fearlessness in the face of oppressive dogmatists that you and Bertrand Russell represent.

Cheers!
-Argyle

Never let yourself be diverted by what you wish to believe, but look only and surely at what are the facts,

Former Believer

http://mg.co.za/article/2012-04-10-suffer-the-little-children

I encourage readers of this thread to read this article.  It tells you that Leo is a "doer of the word" and not just a "hearer".

What strikes me is that Leo does this out of his own heart.  He isn't commanded by a deity to do so.  He is promised no reward here or in a future dimension from for his compassion (in fact, he subjects himself to quite the opposite). 

Pastafarian

God damn it it makes be so angry.
Leo, you are a better man than me and being an African myself (all be it a bastard white one, according to most) I can appreciate what you are dealing with on a very personal level. This continent makes me weep. So many beautiful people, so many unnecessary and unfathomable f**kups.
f**k
It may be that ministers really think that their prayers do good and it may be that frogs imagine that their croaking brings spring.
-- Robert Green Ingersoll, "Which Way?" (1884)

IrishMauddib

Leo - I would just like to add my voice to those welcoming you here and I hope you return some time. It was wonderful to meet you myself in person at the Atheist Alliance Conference in Cologne last week. You will remember me as the guy who suggested next year you and Dan Barker could use your preacher history to put on a comedy sermon... maybe with the help of Micheal Nugent to write it. He has written comedy plays before and I imagine he would love to again.

I find it funny to see you write above that your father would not give you Dan Barkers book back. Funny because I saw Dan give you a new copy at the convention! Did you tell him what happened to the previous copy? I bet he was very happy to hear it!! I was sorry to hear about the violence the fanatics brought to your father.

I was very moved by your passionate response to those who tell you they can not help you on your campaigns because they want to "Protect your culture". You were very passionate in how you said "But this is NOT our culture - do not protect us - do not pity us - HELP us". I agree with you that people hide too often behind this joke that we should not correct many human rights atrocities for fear of influencing the culture of a nation or people.

Maybe you can say more on this if you return to the forum. If your campaigns were more successful in the future do you see any changes to your "culture" that you would be sorry to see change... or do you think it all has to go if good change is to be brought to the region? What would you keep if you could?

Former Believer

Wow, Irish!  Glad you had the opportunity to meet, Leo.  I'll contact him and let him know you made a post in the thread.

Gnu Ordure

And many thanks to you, FB, for setting this up and facilitating a most interesting and educational thread.

Excellent job.

||tip hat||

Former Believer

Wow, thanks for the postive feedback Gnu!  Much, much appreciated!

Leo666

Thanks Irish yes I can recall our meeting in Cologne but of course I never knew you were part of this forum. Yes Dan Barker gave me a copy of his latest book, Godless. His book which my father never returned is Losing Faith in Faith. I didnt tell Dan what happened to the book because I would like to purchase a new copy myself.
It is morally revolting that some people condone or turn a blind eye on witchcraft related abuses or harmful traditional practices all in the name of respecting African culture. For me it is not just dishonest, it is cowardly. Yes it is racism. It is like saying witchcraft related abuse is good for them because of their backward culture but not good for us because of our civilized culture. Please note that by saying this I am not implying that the white or yellow or coloured race should be held respobsible for this cultural scourge. No not at all I am saying this in response to those in Europe or America who use this thoughtless excuse to justify their inaction on this abuses. For me the bulk of the blame goes to Africans. Yes Africans should blame themselves, not the slavery, not colonialism, not the west, now not China. That is why any belief system that tell Africans not to be so perturbed about life in this world and instead to strive for a perfect(illusory) life in the hereafter is part of the problem. Anyday Africans wake up to say we are done with these abuses and illusions, they would disappear. The 'good change' will not be trusted on Africans. The real and lasting change will be brought and championed by Africans themselves through hard work, creative intelligence, optimism and determination. The real and lasting change will be sustained by Africans. For me Africans are delaying this much needed cultural renaissance to their own peril. Africa should wake up or rue it period

Leo666

Witch-hunts: The darkness that won't go away
It is a poison that annihilates relationships, breaks down family bonds and destroys communities. Despite the social damage, witch-hunts are still commonplace in Nigeria, Ghana, Tanzania and here in South Africa. MANDY DE WAAL speaks to Nigerian humanist and witchcraft researcher, Leo Igwe, and explores Africa's witchscape. http://dailymaverick.co.za/article/2012-05-30-witch-hunts-the-darkness-that-wont-go-away

Former Believer

Thanks, Leo for sharing that.  It is repulsive.

As an American, witch-hunts seem "other worldly".  It's hard to imagine this stuff still goes on in 2012.

Superstition sucks.  Any conclusion reached that is not based on proven methods of investigation and verification is dangerous.

Oh for the day when people,  universally determine reality on the basis of reason and proven methodologies.