News:

New members, please say hello to the forum in the Introductions board!

Main Menu

Gnu's thread of complaints

Started by Jay, February 16, 2012, 11:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inertialmass

Over in "Politics" Gnu has complained of being unfairly accused of complaining about this Forum generically for smites he's received;  "At no time did I 'blame the entire Forum.'"  I figured this is the most appropriate thread for a response.  From "I am that I am" in "Introduce Yourself":

http://isgodimaginary.com/forum/index.php/topic,49789.0.html
Quote from: Gnu Ordure on January 08, 2012, 05:47:06 AM
Hey, someone -1'd me already.

Just for saying hello.

Sheesh, tough forum.

Are the karma points anonymous here?

Quote from: Gnu Ordure on January 10, 2012, 12:00:43 AM
This forum loves to smite, doesn't it?

I find it a little baffling, to be honest.

Over on WWGHA, they introduced a Karma system about 8 months ago; in that time, I've got 40 plus and 3 minus points.

I've been here 2 days, and I've already got 5 minus points.

I'm struggling to interpret that data.

It would help if I knew why people were smiting me, but that information isn't made available (as it is on WWGHA).

So... I don't know what to think...

Gnu.

Quote from: Gnu Ordure on January 10, 2012, 01:33:54 AM
Hi Mooby,
QuoteWe've discussed it a few times and while there's some disagreement, most members seem to be in favor of keeping it anonymous
Fair enough. I was merely describing my brief experience here and expressing my opinion about it. Feel free to ignore me.

But, I've read critcism here that WWGHA members are angry and aggressive. My experience is that this site is far more aggressive, because I've been smited here more in two days than in eight months at WWGHA.

With the result that I don't feel welcome here. Do you understand that?

QuoteSince the system is more open than WWGHA's, ...
No, it isn't. The IGI system is secretive and opaque. The WWGHA system is open, because the feedback isn't anonymous and reasons are given.
...and so on...  Shan tried to explain, "lol I don't really see how a silly online smite could be perceived as aggressive...  and it's obvious the smites are silly..."  That's just from page 1 of the intro thread, and that's all the more I'm going with this, Gnu.  I truly don't have the seemingly endless time available that you have for lawyering over personal issues.
God and religion are not conveyances of Truth or Comfort.  They function as instruments of earthly social control.

Jay

Oh IM.  Just so you dont whine about getting smites from (+1 Hidden)

That one was from me.  :)
I am me, if you dont like it, tough luck!

JadedPulse

Quote from: Jay on April 26, 2012, 01:21:26 AM
Oh IM.  Just so you dont whine about getting smites from (+1 Hidden)

That one was from me.  :)

LOL. <3
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is that quiet voice at the end of the day saying I will try again tomorrow.

Gnu Ordure

Quote from: Inertialmass on April 26, 2012, 12:43:36 AM
Over in "Politics" Gnu has complained of being unfairly accused of complaining about this Forum generically for smites he's received;  "At no time did I 'blame the entire Forum.'"  I figured this is the most appropriate thread for a response.
IM, I notice that you quoted one sentence of mine in isolation and out of context, and thus misrepresented my argument.

And your reply makes little sense once we restore the context. You said (original bolding)...
Quote from: Inertialmass on April 24, 2012, 11:53:46 AM
Maggie, your blaming the entire group for what one interested party claims was said by one "mob" member reminds me of the time Gnu first joined up here, received a pointless spite smite, and immediately blamed the entire Forum!
.. and I replied...
Quote from: Gnu Ordure on April 25, 2012, 08:02:47 PM
What nonsense, I did no such thing. Why are you making stuff about me, IM? Please stop it.

Gnu.

PS I presume that what IM is referring to is that when I joined IGI I did receive a number of apparently pointless smites in the first few days. If you read my intro thread you'll see that two mods said that it was odd, and the staff did in fact decide to investigate them, as I discovered when I received a nice PM from Mooby which said in part, Just wanted to let you know that the staff has taken a look at your karma, and we agree that the smites seem a bit odd.  We're not sure whether we need to intervene at this time, but we are keeping an eye on things and won't let it get too out of hand.

At no time did I "blame the entire Forum".

Note that I didn't report anything or ask the Mods to investigate - yet they did so anyway, and found the pattern 'odd'.

So your statement that I 'blamed the Forum' for a single 'pointless spite smite' was inaccurate, IM. Hence my complaint.

QuoteI truly don't have the seemingly endless time available that you have for lawyering over personal issues.
You're the one making the spurious allegations, IM. Here's a beauty from the other day:
Quote from: Inertialmass on April 22, 2012, 01:27:38 PM
I guess I'm just too too cynical.  I apparently joined up here a little after Gnu joined, and from the getgo it struck me that the guy's rather Freudian motive was to get banned.
Do enlighten us on the 'Freudian motive' for getting banned. Bear in mind I've been a psychotherapist for over twenty years, so feel free to get technical.

Then, perhaps you could explain why I've never got close to being banned from this forum. Your theory sucks.

Gnu Ordure

Quote from: nateswift on April 25, 2012, 04:08:14 PM
Quote from: Gnu Ordure on April 24, 2012, 09:39:23 PM
Quote from: kevin on April 23, 2012, 11:48:58 PM
Quote from: nateswift on April 23, 2012, 01:55:42 PM
Actually, Kevin, it appears to be the only way to get his attention.  Otherwise he ignores protests about his actions and misunderstanding and dupes people into thinking that this was all about the fact that he came from the other forum and spins every criticism into a statement of his innocence.

At least I am on topic and not following him into other threads to state my objections.

nate, i'm concerned about you, not gnu. i've known you for years, and ... <snip>

Nate, perhaps you should listen to your friend.

Personally I'm baffled by your conduct on this thread, because I thought that you and I had made some kind of peace. Your last post on the thread to which I just directed IM was:

Quote from: nateswift on March 15, 2012, 02:02:41 AM
What he said about his apologies is true, and indicates to me that perhaps when we back away from the emotion a bit we might be able to assess it a little better.  Hey, if I can learn sumpin, ANYbuddy can, right?
Yet in your recent posts in this thread you seem to have reverted to your previous angry position, and then some. All these insults ("dastardly". "dastardly"? Who says "dastardly" these days?), non-sequiturs and other nonsense...

I should have reported you for trolling days ago, Nate. But I cut you some slack because you're a Mod.

But you're getting worse. You talk about my 'viciousness'. Would you care to provide some evidence of my viciousness, Nate? I bet you can't.

But please don't provide it here. You can, as I suggested to InertialMass in my previous post, use that other thread to rant all you like.

But please stay on-topic on this thread, from now on.

OK?
Gnu, for God's sake, you trashed three threads with your garbage about Jay accusing you of pedophilia in relation to... <snip similar disinformation, exaggeration and insults... >

Nate, if you're determined to perceive me as a malicious scheming Machiavellian figure, I can't stop you.

Which is ironic; if I really was the 'expert manipulator' you accuse me of being, I would be able to persuade you to love or at least like me. Remember the devastating last line of Orwell's 1984?
Spoiler
He loved Big Brother.
[close]

So knock yourself out with your angry paranoid ranting, Nate. I'm not playing any more, because I've got the official response I wanted, and I'm moving on.

Gnu.

PS Why won't you answer my question about whether you've resigned as a Mod? A simple yes or no would suffice.

nateswift

Actually, Gnu, it wasn't meant to reach you, I gave that up long ago.  It was a heads up to some pretty intelligent people about what they should be looking at.

Oh, and no answer because there was no need for the question.
The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do-  Kerouac

Maggie the Opinionated

Oh great. Now we are going to have to endure another 6 months of this man pestering you to answer his question.

Gnu Ordure

Maggie, Nate appeared to announce his resignation a week ago:
Quote from: nateswift on April 18, 2012, 11:29:53 PM
Quote from: Gnu Ordure on April 16, 2012, 10:39:17 PM
And one of you finally responds with dismissive sarcasm.
Well, you won't have to worry about that anymore, I quit when the board as a body refused to respond to your bullying post above by telling you to go piss up a rope.  Somebody said some drivel about "professionalism."
Yet the Staff List continued to list him as a Mod; hence my question, which for some reason he refused to answer.

However, the Mod List was updated a few hours ago and Nate's name has been removed.

That goes some way to explaining his current aggressive and emotional attitude towards me.

And I find his resignation regrettable, as I have a weird hunch that some people are going to blame me for it.

Maggie the Opinionated

How about that! Maybe, just maybe, the mods, who are volunteers afterall, got to it when they had the time. You are not the forum cop. It should have been enough for you, as it was for the rest of us, that Nate stated clearly that he had resigned. Frankly, if I had to guess, I would guess that whichever admin edited the list bumped it up on the priority scale to keep you from driving us nuts for another 6 months.

Stop it. Just stop it.

FGOH

Sorry we took so long to update the staff list. If someone resigns suddenly we usually allow a brief window in case they change their mind.

It is not for any of us to put words into nate's mouth as to the reasons for his resignation but I would lay a heavy bet on it not being all about you, Gnu.
I'm not signing anything without consulting my lawyer.

Gnu Ordure

acctnt_shan

UGH I take a break from this place and this is STILL going on?   ||tantrum||
Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~Elbert Hubbard

Maggie the Opinionated

Yep. But please don't go away again. The "feel" of this place has changed so much, since so many have fled to avoid this nonsense. We need the level-headed, fun people back.

Gnu Ordure

Quote from: FGOH on April 27, 2012, 03:06:49 PM
Sorry we took so long to update the staff list.
That wasn't the issue, FGOH. The issue was that Nate's 'announcement' wasn't clear to me, and for some reason which still escapes me, he wouldn't clarify it.

QuoteIf someone resigns suddenly we usually allow a brief window in case they change their mind.
I hope he still does change his mind.

QuoteIt is not for any of us to put words into nate's mouth as to the reasons for his resignation but I would lay a heavy bet on it not being all about you, Gnu.
I hope that's true, but his announcement implied otherwise.

acctnt_shan

Quote from: Maggie the Opinionated on April 27, 2012, 03:19:51 PM
Yep. But please don't go away again. The "feel" of this place has changed so much, since so many have fled to avoid this nonsense. We need the level-headed, fun people back.

LOL I don't know Maggie, I got a smite on that post...  maybe I should complain about my hostile reception.    ||wink||
Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~Elbert Hubbard

nateswift

Quote from: Gnu Ordure on April 27, 2012, 02:32:37 PM

That goes some way to explaining his current aggressive and emotional attitude towards me.

And I find his resignation regrettable, as I have a weird hunch that some people are going to blame me for it.
Well, let's nip that in the bud, shall we?  Here's a hint though, my current aggressive and emotional attitude toward you has directly to do with your actions and attitudes. (NB I do not consider you Machiavellian, to be Machiavellian you would have to be aware of your processes and I don't think you are, they are just a part of your general way of dealing with criticism.  There is an old story among mental health professionals as to why they get into the field and when they decide to leave it; I'd venture to say that you have good job security from that standpoint)

Yes, my irritation at you was a part of my general attitude that I found disturbing, but only part.
I hope that helps.
The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do-  Kerouac

Maggie the Opinionated

Quote from: acctnt_shan on April 27, 2012, 03:43:20 PM
Quote from: Maggie the Opinionated on April 27, 2012, 03:19:51 PM

LOL I don't know Maggie, I got a smite on that post...  maybe I should complain about my hostile reception.    ||wink||
well, I just evened the score. Honestly, we have got more spite smiters than ever and they are finding targets other than me. When will it stop?

Gnu Ordure

Quote from: Jay on April 07, 2012, 01:14:58 AM
Stop whining about smites.  In fact.  Have a -1 now for even bringing up smites.  When you whine about smites, you get one.   ||tip hat||

Tish

Quote from: Gnu Ordure on April 27, 2012, 03:24:29 PM
Quote from: FGOH on April 27, 2012, 03:06:49 PM
Sorry we took so long to update the staff list.
That wasn't the issue, FGOH. The issue was that Nate's 'announcement' wasn't clear to me, and for some reason which still escapes me, he wouldn't clarify it.
Um...  Because his reasons are none of your business.
"Whatever words we utter should be chosen with care for people will hear them and be influenced by them for good or ill."
Buddha

Gnu Ordure

Quote from: Tish on April 28, 2012, 01:33:41 AM
Quote from: Gnu Ordure on April 27, 2012, 03:24:29 PM
Um...  Because his reasons are none of your business.
You've misunderstood, Tish. I was asking for clarification about whether he'd actually resigned. A yes or no would have sufficed, but for some reason Nate refused to answer.

rickymooston

Quote from: acctnt_shan on April 27, 2012, 03:43:20 PM
I got a smite on that post...

You must have been doing something right. I'd consider that smite as a huge compliment.
"Re: Why should any Black man have any respect for any cop?
Your question is racist. If the police behave badly then everyone should lose respect for those policemen.", Happy Evolute

Gnu Ordure

Quote from: nateswift on April 27, 2012, 03:47:02 PM
Quote from: Gnu Ordure on April 27, 2012, 02:32:37 PMThat goes some way to explaining his current aggressive and emotional attitude towards me.

Well, let's nip that in the bud, shall we?
That would be nice.

QuoteHere's a hint though, my current aggressive and emotional attitude toward you has directly to do with your actions and attitudes.
What is that supposed to be a hint of?

Quote(NB I do not consider you Machiavellian, to be Machiavellian you would have to be aware of your processes and I don't think you are, they are just a part of your general way of dealing with criticism.  There is an old story among mental health professionals as to why they get into the field and when they decide to leave it; I'd venture to say that you have good job security from that standpoint)
More insults. (You talk about my 'viciousness', Nate; the evidence suggests that you're projecting).

QuoteYes, my irritation at you was a part of my general attitude that I found disturbing, but only part.
I hope that helps.
You haven't said anything, Nate.