Question about the Penalty Log and Corner.

Started by Gnu Ordure, February 12, 2012, 04:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gnu Ordure

In the Forum Updates section, there's this announcement from AK (my bold):

Quote from: Assyriankey on November 07, 2008, 10:58:06 PM
Hi all, a record of all member rules breaks occurring during the last 60 days can be viewed here:

http://isgodimaginary.com/forum/index.php/topic,11493.0.html

That record is automatically updated every hour and represents a subset of the private moderator logs maintained manually in the hidden staff area.

If your member name is mentioned on that page 2 (or more) times then you will be restricted to the corner when you next break one of our rules.
That seems to imply that lots of people would be spending time in the corner for say, Etiquette violations. In fact, shouldn't I be the Corner now, since I've got six on there, so surely the third one should have triggered the Corner clause?

And looking at the Corner thread, I can't see people being there for this reason.

Since AK's post is from 2008, I'm wondering whether the info it contains has been superceded?

Gnu.

PS Also, is the log really updated every hour?

JustMyron

Yes, that text is out of date.

Rule breaches get you in the corner, but etiquette breaches don't - but we still log etiquette breaches, because it helps us keep track of our precedents internally, and it also gives people a good indication of whether people have been naughty, even if they don't get cornered for them.

The penalty log is now automatically updated every 10 minutes or so.

FGOH

An etiquette breach can turn into a rule breach if the editing request is not complied with. Any member who does not edit as requested will get a further PM telling them that they have now breached a rule (rule 4) and whether it is the first, second or whatever within the last 60 days.
I'm not signing anything without consulting my lawyer.

Maggie the Opinionated

Now I am confused. I have read a lot about deleting off-topic posts but I was specifically told that I didn't need to edit my post that got dinged for trolling. Why the difference?

JustMyron

Up to 2 posts can be found guilty of being off topic and counter-productive to the positive exchange of ideas related to a thread topic (the trolling rule, paraphrased) without it being a technical violation of the trolling rule. Once you get to 3 or more, an etiquette breach gets logged and you have to edit all of them.

We have recently started telling people when they get 1 or 2 posts found guilty of trolling, because we think this enables them to not ever reach three, which means they don't have to edit what they've posted. Less hassle for us, and them. Win-win.

Jay

JM,
Since we are on the topic of the member penalty log, I actually have a question.

Is this statement still true?

"A post containing multiple Rule breaks will be deemed as one single Rule break."
http://isgodimaginary.com/forum/index.php/topic,7981.0.html
I am me, if you dont like it, tough luck!

JustMyron

Jay

Quote from: JustMyron on February 12, 2012, 07:51:58 PM
Yes, that's still true.

K.  So if I got infracted twice on one post(E1a and E1b), and it is listed as two separate lines in the member penalty log....is that a mistake?

JustMyron

I have just been messaged by a moderator informing me that I might have that wrong. Please stand by...

JadedPulse

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is that quiet voice at the end of the day saying I will try again tomorrow.

Little Boat

Hope this isn't too off-topic!

I have a couple of very basic questions which clearly reveal my utter 'noobiness'. 

1) What is the purpose of the green dot that appears on some members avatars?
2) How is the dark art of smiting carried out.  Is it the same as awarding + or - karma?

Thanks
LB
My smark is a a lot worse than my smite but seeing as I never smite there is substantial scope for my smark to be rather amiable. Now I just need to find out what a smark is...

Jay

Quote from: Little Boat on February 12, 2012, 08:23:13 PM

I have a couple of very basic questions which clearly reveal my utter 'noobiness'. 

2) How is the dark art of smiting carried out.  Is it the same as awarding + or - karma?

Thanks
LB

1.  It means the member is online.
2.  Yes.  Smiting is negative karma.

Once you went over 25 posts, the ability to apply karma should have been enabled for you under a members avatar.

JadedPulse

That tells you if that person is currently online or not.

Quote2) How is the dark art of smiting carried out.  Is it the same as awarding + or - karma?

Yep, smiting is giving someone negative karma--you can do so by clicking the "smite" button underneath that persons karma.

||jade||

*edit* Dammit, Jay!!!  ||razz||
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is that quiet voice at the end of the day saying I will try again tomorrow.

Jay

Mooby the Golden Sock

Quote from: jay799 on February 12, 2012, 07:58:11 PM
Yes, that's still true.

K.  So if I got infracted twice on one post(E1a and E1b), and it is listed as two separate lines in the member penalty log....is that a mistake?
It's one rule break for the purposes of Corner sentencing.
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.--BÖC

Jay

Quote from: Mooby the Golden Sock on February 12, 2012, 10:40:50 PM
Yes, that's still true.

Okay.  So you can still be infracted upon more than once per post, but if say....I didn't edit either of the things I was asked to edit in that post, I would only get 1 rule violation in regards to corner time? 

And to be honest, I wasnt trying to stir the pot.  I originally thought that the wording expressed in the link was old verbiage, and needed to be updated.  But now I am just confused.

Tish

Quote from: jay799 on February 13, 2012, 12:00:36 AM
Yes, that's still true.

Okay.  So you can still be infracted upon more than once per post, but if say....I didn't edit either of the things I was asked to edit in that post, I would only get 1 rule violation in regards to corner time? 

And to be honest, I wasnt trying to stir the pot.  I originally thought that the wording expressed in the link was old verbiage, and needed to be updated.  But now I am just confused.
Failure to edit a post is one Rule break for the one action - the failure to edit.
"Whatever words we utter should be chosen with care for people will hear them and be influenced by them for good or ill."
Buddha

Jay

Quote from: Tish on February 13, 2012, 12:07:48 AM
Quote from: jay799 on February 13, 2012, 12:00:36 AM
Yes, that's still true.

Failure to edit a post is one Rule break for the one action - the failure to edit.

So....for clarity. So I understand it.  Call me thick headed if you wish.(I know you will anyways   ||whistling|| )

I was asked to edit two things in one post.  One was based on E1a and one was based on E1b.

Whether I edited only one of the things in that post or whether I edited none of the things in that post, I would still only receive 1 Rule 4 violation.  Not 2 rule 4 violations. 

Correct?

If I am not correct than either I am really really really confused, or the verbiage on the link I provided needs to be updated.

Tish

Quote from: jay799 on February 13, 2012, 12:12:31 AM
So....for clarity. So I understand it.  Call me thick headed if you wish.(I know you will anyways   ||whistling|| )

I was asked to edit two things in one post.  One was based on E1a and one was based on E1b.

Whether I edited only one of the things in that post or whether I edited none of the things in that post, I would still only receive 1 Rule 4 violation.  Not 2 rule 4 violations. 

Correct?

If I am not correct than either I am really really really confused, or the verbiage on the link I provided needs to be updated.
*calls*   ||razz||

Yes, if the post is not edited, either partly or fully, and you haven't been given an extension of time to make further edits, that counts as one single Rule #4 breach, no matter how many different Etiquette breaches were in the post.
"Whatever words we utter should be chosen with care for people will hear them and be influenced by them for good or ill."
Buddha

Jay

Thank you.  +1

You have cleared it up for me.   ||beerchug||

Mooby the Golden Sock

The way I think of it is that after 24 hours, your post has to be completely rules/etiquette compliant.  If it's not, then we edit it once and ding you once.

Little Boat

Quote from: jay799 on February 12, 2012, 08:25:35 PM

Thanks
LB

1.  It means the member is online.
2.  Yes.  Smiting is negative karma.

Once you went over 25 posts, the ability to apply karma should have been enabled for you under a members avatar.

Only recently discovered that the iPad App for this forum does not contain smite applaud buttons...have switched to safari browser :)
My smark is a a lot worse than my smite but seeing as I never smite there is substantial scope for my smark to be rather amiable. Now I just need to find out what a smark is...

Jay

A quick question on the member penalty log.

I noticed this listed in it.

"2012-02-13      Steveox - Corner time"

Is that just to track the fact that Steve was placed in the corner, or is being in the corner now an actual 'penalty'  or.....is it for something else.

Just wondering.   ||think||

Mooby the Golden Sock

It was the actual penalty, I'm not quite sure why Nate didn't just label it Rule 4.

Jay

Quote from: Mooby the Golden Sock on February 18, 2012, 01:58:13 AM
It was the actual penalty, I'm not quite sure why Nate didn't just label it Rule 4.

Ah.  Okay.  Thanks for the answer.  +1

I had never seen that before, and was just curious.

ak.yonathan

I have to admit I didn't really read the rules when first joining this forum. I guess I was lucky not to have incurred any penalties.

Sent from my SM-T331 using Tapatalk

Kiahanie

I'd say it was more than luck, yonathan. You seem to be a pretty civil guy. +1
"If there were a little more silence, if we all kept quiet ... maybe we could understand something." --Federico Fellini....."Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation" -Jellaludin Rumi,

Kusa

Teaspoon Shallow

Quote from: Kusa on October 21, 2016, 09:10:55 PM
What happened to Gnu?

He left the forum.  He is OK but does not want to participate anymore.
"If I could stop a person from raping a child, I would.    That's the difference between me and your God." Tracie Harris

Kusa

Quote from: Teaspoon Shallow on October 21, 2016, 09:54:58 PM
Quote from: Kusa on October 21, 2016, 09:10:55 PM
What happened to Gnu?

He left the forum.  He is OK but does not want to participate anymore.

That's terrible. We need to reach out to lost members and encourage them to come back.